Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We can rebuild her!"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Happy Birthday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

27? So you're over the hill now! better start planning your retirement haha. I have to say it feels great to still be 26.

Good man Brian..... RK is practically my age now ;)

27? So you're over the hill now! better start planning your retirement haha. I have to say it feels great to still be 26.

Few months and we will have her running like a 22 year old. Im of the Bernard Lagat influence only peaking in his late 30s :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ecoli wrote: »
    Few months and we will have her running like a 22 year old. Im of the Bernard Lagat influence only peaking in his late 30s :D

I only started running at 24 (my 3 year runiversary is next month) - I'm still in the stage of beginners gains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Happy Birthday, girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm still in the stage of beginners gains :D

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Birthday-Cakes-Pictures-Ideas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Happy Birthday RK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Happy Birthday! I promise RayCun or mrslow will buy you a celebratory drink tomorrow...;)

claralara wrote: »
    Happy Birthday! I promise RayCun or mrslow will buy you a celebratory drink tomorrow...;)

That's Mr Slow and now that she's hurtling towards 30 at the speed of light, she'll need all the drink she can handle!

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's Mr Slow and now that she's hurtling towards 30 at the speed of light, she'll need all the drink she can handle!

Since I'm apparently hurtling towards 30 at the speed of light, maybe it's time to set an interesting 3-year goal :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Since I'm apparently hurtling towards 30 at the speed of light, maybe it's time to set an interesting 3-year goal :pac:

IM?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

claralara wrote: »

I was going to buy her a drink anyway, what's this 'or' thing? :)

(Or does the winner buy the loser a drink, and the loser buy RK's? :D )

RayCun wrote: »

Yep, I'll buy you that pint when I win.

Either way, this involves drink being bought for me. I approve. :cool:

Was supposed to run yesterday, but due to getting out of work late and a family dinner for my birthday I didn't get out yesterday. Got out this morning though for yesterday's planned 50 minutes easy. Did 8km / 4.97 miles at 9.33/mile average pace. Close enough :)

Should hit 500 miles for the year tomorrow too. That should be closer to 700, tbh...

Plan for today was 1 hour easy. Took it very slow on account of it being rather warm and sticky out and it still felt tougher than it should. :eek: 10km / 6.2 miles @ 10.18/mile average pace. Average HR 169/max 186.

Some great running from various people last night in Dunshaughlin, looked like a great race and I'm definitely going to have to do it next year. Woke up this morning with no hangover, which I was pretty chuffed about after a third night of drinking in a row.

Starting to get a bit worried about getting into shape to race a 10k in 5 weeks time though, feeling horrifically out of shape at the moment...

40 minutes easy planned for this evening - conditions were definitely a bit more comfortable than yesterday afternoon! 6.5km / 4.04 miles @ 10.06/mile average pace done, average HR 166/max 182. Was a bit tired heading out, had a long day in work with a very long meeting in the afternoon, but it was lovely to get some cool, fresh air :)

First kinda-session since the bug this evening, 20 mins easy, 10 mins tempo, 20 minutes easy. Wasn't sure how the body would react to the faster running later so I took the first 20 minutes very easy (10.30/mile pace). Stretched the legs out at this stage, next 10 minutes were at 8.30-8.40/mile pace. Eased off after that and took it fairly handy. Total distance covered 8.16km/5.07 miles, average pace overall 9.55/mile. HR is probably not worth looking at because I had a trademark Garmin spike in the first 10 minutes, so the max is 226 and the average is skewed by that.

My 10k PB, one of my softest, is at ~8.28/mile average pace. I have 34 days to somehow get back to that... :eek:

You will! Keep the faith!

• Advertisement

On the plan for tonight - 30 mins recovery and stretching and strengthening exercises. I decided to investigate how slow I could go tonight, and it turns out that we're talking somewhere outside 11 min/mile pace. Average pace for the 4.5km / 2.81 miles covered was 11.12/mile, average HR was in the low 130s.

Felt weird going that slow, but it feels like I've done nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On the plan for tonight - 30 mins recovery and stretching and strengthening exercises. I decided to investigate how slow I could go tonight, and it turns out that we're talking somewhere outside 11 min/mile pace. Average pace for the 4.5km / 2.81 miles covered was 11.12/mile, average HR was in the low 130s.

Felt weird going that slow, but it feels like I've done nothing at all.

Aghhhh so you've finally figured out what a recovery run is :pac:

Plan for today was 40 minutes easy. Didn't end up being *quite* as easy as intended - stressful day in work meant that the legs needed to be stretched out a bit for mental health reasons. 6.82km / 4.24 miles @ 9.27/mile average pace, meant to keep this at about 10-ish. :rolleyes: Average HR 166/max 181. Felt pretty good, needed to clear the head and this did the trick.

Was pretty chuffed before that though to find a stream of the Lausanne Diamond League meeting with English-language commentary :D

Was absolutely shattered by the time I got home yesterday, so decided to just have a good stretch-out after work and collapse on the sofa with a nice big glass of red wine. Did yesterday's scheduled session today - fartlek session made up of 10 mins easy, 5x (3 mins hard, 3 mins easy), 10 mins easy. Garmin was being a little tempremental, auto-paused a few times where it shouldn't have and managed to sneakily autopause for about the first minute of my last hard 3 minutes.

Overall: 8.50km / 5.28 miles covered, average pace 9.33/mile - harder segments under 8 min/mile, easy mostly outside 10 min/mile. Pretty happy with that - it suggests that the basic speed is there (probably buried under layers of fat and laziness) but I need to work on being able to hold it for more than 3 minutes at a time :pac:

Plan for today was 1 hour easy. A delightful day out, lovely and warm and sunny. Wish I was going to Croker later to watch the Dubs, but couldn't rope my friends in on time :( 10km / 6.22 miles today, 9.45/mile average pace. Average HR 166, but with a comedy-grade spike (228bpm, lol) at the start caused by accidentally pushing the strap over the band of my sports bra!

27.7 miles for this week, split over 6 days. Pretty happy with that overall, definitely feeling a bit stronger in the last few days too which is great. This 10k next month still feels like it's coming awfully soon though! Considering doing the BHAA 5k on the 13th as a bit of a fitness test though, that will tell me more.

Planned for this evening - 50 minutes easy. Ended up getting out of work about half an hour early this evening due to a network failure so took advantage of it and headed out as soon as I got home. Think I'll try and keep doing that, I have so much more energy if I run at 7ish rather than at about 9-9.30ish. Anyway. 8.4km / 5.22 miles @ 9.34/mile average pace. Enjoyed that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ended up getting out of work about half an hour early this evening due to a network failure so took advantage of it and headed out as soon as I got home. Think I'll try and keep doing that

I don't know - if you keep kicking that cable out of the wall you'll get caught _eventually_

I don't know - if you keep kicking that cable out of the wall you'll get caught _eventually_

On session days get someone else to kick it out for you while you "on bathroom break" all part of the master plan:D

Plan for today was 20 mins easy, 2x 7 min tempo with 2 min recovery, 20 mins easy. Was feeling a bit meh about heading out for this, wasn't in a good mood thanks to being stuck on a bus for an hour with some incredibly obnoxious 10 year olds. (kirby smash :pac: ) Felt a bit flat for the first 20 mins, but felt a lot better once I stretched the legs out for the first faster segment. Overall - 9.6km / 5.98 miles @ 9.41/mile average pace. First 20 mins was outside 10 min/mile pace, faster bits around 8-8.30/mile pace, second easy 20 mins just inside 10 min/mile pace. Glad to get that done anyway, and a nice easy recovery run to look forward to tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Recovery run this evening - 4.5km / 2.81 miles @ 11.34/mile average pace. HR in the 130s - I'm learning :pac: Feck all to report from that, somehow managed to avoid the rain despite getting a soaking while I was waiting for my bus home in town earlier. Feeling pretty good now, will have a good stretchout later. :)

Advertisement