Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

De Bhál wrote: »
    Probably a naive question but where do they all go??

I reckon the majority of bikes are brought to Britain and sold there, especially unique/high end bikes. Bike thieves know its risky business trying to offload that stuff in Ireland, the cycling community is fairly tight knit and chances are somebody will recognise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I reckon the majority of bikes are brought to Britain and sold there, especially unique/high end bikes. Bike thieves know its risky business trying to offload that stuff in Ireland, the cycling community is fairly tight knit and chances are somebody will recognise it!

I really hope that GPS units will be mounted on production site somewhere deep in the frame so it won't be possible to power off them.
    Our two bikes were stolen few years ago from the basement even though we were living in very secure area i.e. gated entry, CCTV everywhere, intercom, limited access to the building (fob devices). You're not secure if someone really want to steal your bike. Eventually you'll be assaulted while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That's a fair assumption alright but who're buying these stolen bikes. Bike shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

De Bhál wrote: »
    That's Prince's street is it beside Penny's where the bike stands are. Scobe central around there.
    In fact I would never park a bike on or on any of the streets off O'Connell street. I had a locked bike stolen at the top of the street at the bike stand around 10yrs ago.
    Passing down the street a few times I've seen young lads moving through the bike stands checking locks on bikes.

This whole thread sickens me. I cannot believe the amount of bikes robbed.

The fact I say a guard before I locked the bike and after I came back to it standing beside the gpo facing the bikes had me thinking it'll be grand to leave it. They won't get the bike though :D they can have it if they cut through the 2 U locks I use :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've started a "why don't the gardai investigate bike thefts" thread over here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79938957&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post79938957

on the Emergency Services forum.

P D wrote: »
    Hi All

A friends bike was stolen from an apartment complex in Blackrock within the last few days

Very few of them about so quite easy to identify , had Ritchey WCS bars and seatpost not standard , size L , anyone hears or see anything please let us know . Hugely appreciated .

Bike as per link , if anyone can post a pic from the site id be grateful

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...ountry=IRELAND

Cheers

Paddy

Link not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

My bike got 'briefly' stolen today. I was in getting some plants for the garden in Woodies in Blanchardstown (next to TK Max/Lifestyle) and locked my bike in the bicycle racks at the end. I was in there about ten minuites and bought a few plants which I placed in a box.

As I was walking in the direction of the bicycle rack I saw a chap with a black hoodie and black bag walk away with my bike around the corner. I ran towards the racks and turned the corner and there he was with another white bike and my bike as if he was about to cycle off with the two.

I looked at him and he said "is that your bike"? and I said "yeh". He then said "it was already unlocked". After which I took my bike back and he cycled off. It was lashing rain at the time and we were under the shelter.

If I had been a minute late my T30 would have been gone. The cheap cable lock was cut cleanly off and left on the rack.

Only for I was carrying a box I probably would have hit him one. I have to get a new lock and thank goodness thats all I have to get.

coolemon wrote: »
    My bike got 'briefly' stolen today. I was in getting some plants for the garden in Woodies in Blanchardstow

<snip>

As I was walking in the direction of the bicycle rack I saw a chap with a black hoodie and black bag walk away with my bike around the corner. I ran towards the racks and turned the corner and there he was with another white bike and my bike as if he was about to cycle off with the two.

<snip>

If I had been a minute late my T30 would have been gone. The cheap cable lock was cut cleanly off and left on the rack.

Only for I was carrying a box I probably would have hit him one. I have to get a new lock and thank goodness thats all I have to get.

Not so for the owner of the other bike he took (unless that was one he'd bought, of course). Did you go to security and ask them to print off his picture from their CCTV and keep an eye out for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

@coolemon you should report it anyway

• Advertisement

Garda bike auction, featuring unclaimed bicycles in Garda custody, this Thursday http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/Leisure_Auction.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rewind

Garda bike auction, featuring unclaimed bicycles in Garda custody, this Thursday http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/Leisure_Auction.asp

Cheers for the info. Sadly not one looker in the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

The information supplied to the Gardai by people reporting stolen bikes tends to be very poor. No serial numbers, don't even know what the make of the bike was, no pictures etc.
    Thousands of bikes are recovered by gardai every year but reuniting them with their owners is the extremely difficult part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

A friend had her Claud Butler Criterium stolen outside Cinnamon restaurant in Ranalagh today. I don't have other details, but please do keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Really hoped I'd never have to post in this thread.

Stolen from shed in back garden in Sandyford between 12 last night and 6 this morning:

TnJBY.jpg

Giant SCR 2007, large.
    Upgraded with Aksium wheels, new Tiagra shifters and RD, 105 FD. Gatorskin tyres, black and red Charge plug saddle. Vision Trimax aeorbars. Look bar tape and 2x Tacx tao bottle holders.

GGWv5.jpg

Forme Raid, xsmall frame, 15". Perfect condition. White topeak bottle holder.

BcNYN.jpg

Cannondale M800 mtb. Not actual one in picture but identical except black brake calipers and seatpost clamp. 7 speed deore LX. No FD. 17" frame.

Only got our dog put down during the week - I guess it shows what an effective deterrent they are.

I know the chances of getting them back are minimal, but I'd really appreciate if people could keep an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

My 11 year old had his nearly new bmx, dark orange colour lifted from the cove in dungarvan four weeks ago. Gardi notified and have been helpful but the bmx has not turned up.
    However is it not time for cyclist to turn on the thieves, surely to god we have had enough of the scum who unfortunately live on the same planet.
    Anyone who knows about scumbags lets mount a campaign with the Gardi, times must change

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Scifo

Black and Red Cube Analog mountain bike stolen from basement car park on Burlington Road between 08:15 and 18:15 today. Was locked to bike rack, had saddle bag and knog front and rear lights.
    cube-analog-red.jpg?width=800&height=600

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

dited wrote: »
    Stolen from shed in back garden in Sandyford between 12 last night and 6 this morning:

Good news for a change! A heartfelt thanks to my very alert neighbour who spotted my post yesterday, noticed some questionable sorts trying to sell the bike beside the local shopping centre, put two and two together, and called in to let me know!

Quick phonecall to local gardaí later, three %&*("£$ arrested, one still in custody as of this morning, and my son's bike recovered!!

Still on the lookout for the other two bikes, but the smile on jnr's face this morning made the loss a lot more bearable!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

The bike has been found! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Where and how?

• Advertisement

The original owner spotted someone with _his_ bike in Cok city centre. I don't know all the details yet, but I'll share the info as soon as I get it (I hope that the the owner permits me to do it).
    The bike is at a garda station now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

dited wrote: »
    Really hoped I'd never have to post in this thread.

TnJBY.jpg

Giant SCR 2007, large.
    Upgraded with Aksium wheels, new Tiagra shifters and RD, 105 FD. Gatorskin tyres, black and red Charge plug saddle. Vision Trimax aeorbars. Look bar tape and 2x Tacx tao bottle holders.

GGWv5.jpg

BcNYN.jpg

Cannondale M800 mtb. Not actual one in picture but identical except black brake calipers and seatpost clamp. 7 speed deore LX. No FD. 17" frame.

Only got our dog put down during the week - I guess it shows what an effective deterrent they are.

I know the chances of getting them back are minimal, but I'd really appreciate if people could keep an eye out for them.

Some goods bikes there, last one is cool. sorry for your loss. dirty scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Good result!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Small.png

I had my Kona Unit 29er Single Speed stolen last night (11th Aug) from my shed in Blackrock. I have never seen another orange 29er single speed in Ireland so this will be quite hard for them to pass on.

It was a 16inch frame with, Rockshock Reba Forks and Hope Disk Brakes and Maxxis Ignitor tires.

If you see or hear anything please contact the garda or me.

If you could pass this info around I would be greatfull as I would really like my bike back.

Cheers

Ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 thesupernorm

My bike was stolen in Galway city on Tuesday the 7th of October. There is a reward offered for information leading to the recovery of this bicycle. Contact No:<snip>. Thankyou.
    The bike is a focus black raider. It's a very striking bike. Not many bikes around that looks like this. Any information on its whereabouts would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MacG14

Hi all,

I had my 2007 Trek Madone SSL 6.5 stolen on Friday 10th Aug from my apartment in Dublin.
    I would be very much obliged if anyone sees this bike, please let me know at <snip>.
    The bike is as follows:
    Colour: grey & white
    Size:56
    Frame: Trek Madone SSl 6.5, OCLV 55 Carbon
    Fork: Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon
    Wheels: Bontrager X Lite
    Groupset: All Shimano Dura-Ace
    Cassette: Dura-Ace 10 speed
    Crank: Dura-Ace 53 / 39
    Brakeset: Dura-Ace
    Pedals: Look Keo
    SeatPost: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon
    Handlebars: Bontrager Race X Lite carbon, 31.8mm
    Stem: Ritchey WCS Carbon Matrix 100mm
    Saddle: Bontrager Race X Lite
    2 * Bottle cages
    There is a Garmin Edge mount on the stem and a garmin cadence sensor on the chain stay.
    Garmin Edge 705 also stolen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLN7bcto5noskkL-fYBAOsozY1SpbCckXD3f3dJFlJCL0cYauE0g

Above is stock picture and not my actual bike. Mine has black saddle and black bar tape.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Colm

Where and how?
    To close the story: the bike has been sold through a shop in <snip>. The original owner was there the next day after he lost the bike and left some photos + detailed description how to recognise the bike (I think it was modified a bit). It didn't make any difference to the shop... some time later they bought and later sold the bike :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

That's what I'd like to know as well. Are most bikes robbed for kicks, or for cash? If so, where are they fencing these bikes?

P.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've edited and deleted a number of posts. Suggesting an identifiable shop may be involved in fencing stolen bikes is no different in principle to posting pictures of alleged bike thieves, which is not allowed under general Boards rules (please re-read post 1 if you wish to remind yourselves why)

Do not question this in-thread - that will result in cards and/or bans. If you have any questions or require further clarification, PM me

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Recovery of stolen bike in Seattle

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba5_1345006502

Advertisement