Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

shares on facebook as well, where were they stolen from which area

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

shares on facebook as well, where were they stolen from which area

Going by the lads profile he is Donegal.

Will it not be hard to shift them bikes or will they leave the country?

I see his name on one of them!

oh ya some junkie will flog them for the price his next fix

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He's in Burtonport, Donegal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oh ya some junkie will flog them for the price his next fix

If he gets hold of them he should give them a good flogging with an old chain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

That's an interesting article - but I remember also hearing a lot of bikes are stolen because someone has spotted something valuable in a car nearby that they want to rob and want to use the bike for a quick getaway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Long Time Reader

who the hell steals bull horns!!

WTF.. fuming...

happened to anyone else?

who the hell steals bull horns!!

WTF.. fuming...

happened to anyone else?

Look for someone in a blue-and-blue jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

He found them across the border. Is a cash convertors basically a pawn shop? I presume the owner is now out of pocket after paying the thief for the bikes? Either that or he was in on it.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/power-of-facebook-leads-donegal-triathlete-to-e3000-stolen-bikes-at-cash-converters/

• Advertisement

Great to see someone who got result from people helping to find there bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

He found them across the border. Is a cash convertors basically a pawn shop? I presume the owner is now out of pocket after paying the thief for the bikes? Either that or he was in on it.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/power-of-facebook-leads-donegal-triathlete-to-e3000-stolen-bikes-at-cash-converters/

Read the article and understand what happaned before coming on and making ludicrous, idiotic accusations/presumptions about someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I've had my bike stolen from Mount St Annes in Milltown (underground 'secure' carpark).

Its a 2011 Specialized Allez Double, black with red & white detail in case anyone comes across it.

Gutted really. Had a kryptonite lock and cable thought it was relatively safe.

How do thieves usually sell the bikes? Anywhere to keep an eye on?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

Mr.David wrote: »
    I've had my bike stolen from Mount St Annes in Milltown (underground 'secure' carpark).

Its a 2011 Specialized Allez Double, black with red & white detail in case anyone comes across it.

Gutted really. Had a kryptonite lock and cable thought it was relatively safe.

How do thieves usually sell the bikes? Anywhere to keep an eye on?

Sorry to hear that, it's a horrible feeling. Had my Trek 6000e stolen from the "secure" lockup in Shelbourne Park Apartments, South Lotts Road. I would love to know where all these bikes are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

LugsB wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, it's a horrible feeling. Had my Trek 6000e stolen from the "secure" lockup in Shelbourne Park Apartments, South Lotts Road. I would love to know where all these bikes are going?

imho these bikes are already abroad or they're dismounted and parts are sold on ebay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

sebphoto wrote: »
    imho these bikes are already abroad or they're dismounted and parts are sold on ebay :(

I wondered if they went abroad or not, otherwise everyone in the country would 3-4 bikes each at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Mr.David wrote: »
    nywhere to keep an eye on?
    All the 'small ads' websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 miccla

Had my bike stolen from Rathmines last week. It's a 2007 Cube Acid with a black/grey frame. The wheels were changed a year or two ago to Halo Excite-D s so I'm fairly sure its the only one of its kind in Dublin. If anybody has any advice on where to look for stolen bikes of if they happen to see it shoot me a P.M. Thanks!

Here's a picture of what the frame looks like

http://interruptor.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/cube_acid3rx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snazzyc

Woke up Monday morning to find my bike cover and broken lock but no bike in sight. It was stolen from outside our apartment in Doughiska Galway in the early hours of Sunday morning (2nd September). The thieves must have been watching us that evening as the 2 punctures weren't fixed a day when it happened. A neighbours bike was also stolen and an old shoddy bike left in its place!! Attached is a commercial photo of my bike. It's an apollo firecracker but with mudguards and front and rear lights. Long shot I know but in case it shows up anywhere. This whole bike thing is ridic whereever their all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Had my bike disappear yesterday afternoon, September 5th, in South Douglas Road - Cork. Most unusual theft as the bicycle was right outside my door, in a gated complex and happened between 1 and 5 pm - a time when there are a lot of parents with small children playing around, even in the communal garden right outside my apartment.

Most ridiculously, there are many many other bikes in the complex and they nicked mine, that was actually kinda hidden away (complex to explain, but the apartment faces a cul-de-sac with trees, it is absolutely not visible from the road; you wouldn't even know the apartment was there at all).

I really wouldn't want to be suspicious, but I won't be looking at the parents of the aforementioned children in too much of a friendly way anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

this is sad so many bikes,we have ltlte or no idea who is the thief, we have no idea where they go, however we do have a brilliant advantage the person who buys the stolen bike.
    If we could get a weekly stolen bike list out with details like frame number, description, etc. Okay it is not foolproof but it would be a start, maybe one of the daily papers might be interested, or a list on Boards.
    Wemight need to put out some notices to Done Deal etc advising would be purchasers to check before handing cash over.
    A lot of the bikes are serious machines so hopefully the cycling fraternity could stick together.
    Just a thought , regards Foxy, by the way my son lost his bmx in Dungarvan about six weeks ago, aqn x rated decoy in a sort of dark orange colour, we have a Garda pulse number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Do Gardai keep a national registry of stolen bike / frame numbers?

If someone was purchasing a frame or bike could they check first if it was on a stolen list?

Over on the Emergency Services forum a garda has said they recovered a unique bike this week, and it hasn't been reported anywhere in Ireland - maybe those with unusual bikes should contact this garda in case it's one of those mentioned here?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056712259&page=7

This is what we need here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-05RPvj3r0

Tokyo bicycle parking tower takes 9,400 bikes, and it costs 10c (Y10) to get your bicycle out. Using a card so you're identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

What types of locks have people being using.

Would be useful to others if you could state how your bike was locked when it was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Hi.
    My balcony railings were cut with a bow snips early this morning to free my bike. It still has a giant magnum lock on it that'll be the devil to remove.

It's an IDEAL OnROAD. 3 gears in the front, 8 at the back. Nothing amazing and no real resale value. It has duel pedals; takes clips on one side, flat for shoes on the other side. Did me for going to college in the city.

Any infos to Ronanstown Gardi 01 666 7700

Please everybody in the Palmerstown & Dublin West areas like and share the Facebook link and lets make this bike really really hot.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151022579730060&set=a.10150631335305060.380900.712035059&type=1&theater¬if_t=like

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Fatscally wrote: »
    Hi.
    My balcony railings were cut with a bow snips early this morning to free my bike. It still has a giant magnum lock on it that'll be the devil to remove.

It's an IDEAL OnROAD. 3 gears in the front, 8 at the back. Nothing amazing and no real resale value. It has duel pedals; takes clips on one side, flat for shoes on the other side. Did me for going to college in the city.

Any infos to Ronanstown Gardi 01 666 7700

Please everybody in the Palmerstown & Dublin West areas like and share the Facebook link and lets make this bike really really hot.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151022579730060&set=a.10150631335305060.380900.712035059&type=1&theater¬if_t=like

Thanks.

doh!
    Sorry guys, I didn't know but proabably should have expected there was a special thread just for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cailinanmaith

Please beware of anyone selling a silver and white La Pierre ladies hybrid bike (2011 bike) as I have had mine stolen in the Dublin 4 area in August. Any information on this, please contact me...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Hi Guys,

I had a Carerra Subway Hybrid stolen from bike racks outside my apartment in Islandbridge, Dublin 8, some time between Thursday morning and earlier today (Sunday).

Link to same bike on Done Deal: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/3594395

If anyone comes across it on any sites for sale, please do let me know! I had my car broken into in the car park last week, and now the bike taken this week! Time to move I think :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I hope this us the right section to be posting but there was a black PlanetX mountain bike for sale up in <snip> this morning if anybody is missing it?
    ... and there are loads of bikes for sale in the adverts sub-forum - are you suggesting all these second hand bikes are likely to be stolen?

Unless you know for cerytain a bike you have seen is stolen (and can prove it - perhaps from the bikes in Gardai possession webpage), do not post any details here

Advertisement