Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Hi all,

A good news story.

A workmates had his less that 24hrs old bike stolen from O'Connell St a few weeks ago. It was locked with a crappy cable lock and was worth €800.

He reported it the the Gardai and gave them the frame number. He got a call last week from the drugs squad who had stopped someone they 'know' in Blanchardstown. They took the bike from him as they suspected it wasn't his and the bike has now made its way back to its rightful owner, complete with some new accessories including a bike computer!!

As pointless as you think it may be, make sure you have your frame number and report it to the Gardai, don't presume it's gone forever

EDIT: I should add that the lad who had it said he purchased it at Fairyhouse market.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Had my bike stolen from outside the main doors to the UCD sports centre. Wouldn't mind but there is a camera pointing at that area. So assumed it would be safe. Guards said it doesn't matter camera or not its not likely that I get it back

Anyway it's a Giant TCX-3 cyclocross bike. ( looks like a racer). Black and grey worth 900 bones. Oh I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

The_Seal wrote: »
    Had my bike stolen from outside the main doors to the UCD sports centre. Wouldn't mind but there is a camera pointing at that area. So assumed it would be safe. Guards said it doesn't matter camera or not its not likely that I get it back

Did you check with campus security about CCTV footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

Did you check with campus security about CCTV footage?

Oh yeah first place I went was campus services. They were less than enthusiastic about it said they would give the footage to the guard. The gardai said even with the footage of my bike being taken it doesn't really help. So what's the point of havinga camera at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Anyway it's a Giant TCX-3 cyclocross bike. ( looks like a racer). Black and grey worth 900 bones. Oh I miss it

Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen from ucd, was it overnight or in broad daylight? What lock were you using, was that gone too?
    There's so many people around you'd assume someone would have noticed someone hacking through your lock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

So what's the point of havinga camera at all.

To help them in the event they're sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Plaster pictures of your bike all over the UCD related and other college facebook pages and get people to share the crap out of it..

Hopefully someone will see it and report it to you or the police!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Oh yeah first place I went was campus services. They were less than enthusiastic about it said they would give the footage to the guard. The gardai said even with the footage of my bike being taken it doesn't really help. So what's the point of havinga camera at all.

The footage doesn't help because these crimes are not investigated - even if there's a clear picture of the thief in action.

Bicycle theft is a crime against the poor. This won't be investigated, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bicycle theft is a crime against the poor. This won't be investigated, of course.
    I'm not poor. I've had a bike nicked. Surely I'm not the only one?

You're post makes no sense.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Plaster pictures of your bike all over the UCD related and other college facebook pages and get people to share the crap out of it..

Hopefully someone will see it and report it to you or the police!

Especially if you can get your hands on the CCTV footage itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

What? You change your mind after they steal your bike .

I don't understand, sebphoto - my bike hasn't (yet) been stolen.

I don't understand, sebphoto - my bike hasn't (yet) been stolen.

you said

I don't get it. Crime is a crime, has to be investigated, that's all.
    Maybe you change your mind until you'll become victim of a crime.

Ah, I see. It's been my observation that crimes against the well-off are investigated a little more enthusiastically than crimes against the poor. But maybe you're right.

Ah, I see. It's been my observation that crimes against the well-off are investigated a little more enthusiastically than crimes against the poor. But maybe you're right.

I do understand your point. I really do. No offence.
    Anyways such situation drives me crazy. I do realise that they might don't have enough resources to catch bike thieves, however this doesn't change anything. Doesn't matter how good bike lock you'll have - sooner or later thief will find the way to get your stuff. In my humble opinion only option what we have is proper insurance and mindset change - don't leave your bike anywhere without attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 j_cal

My La Pierre Rcr 100 bike was just stolen from near Clanbrassil street, a photo is below, it is silver with bull horns on the handlebars and a carrier on the back, it also has a new front fork which looks different to the rest of the bike, I think its the only one in Dublin city centre....

If you see it, or hear of anyone selling one, let me know...Thanks!

870044.jpg

lp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3 punk.in.drublic

My Mercurio Ra5 Racer was stolen THURS 27TH SEPT after 11.00pm on Parnell St . it's been reported to the Gardai,although I sadly have resigned myself to it being gone forever.Videos of the person responsible for sawing/removing the lock have been left with
    the Gardai, but the guy's face is covered.PLEASE KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THIS BIKE AROUND TOWN OR DONEDEAL.IE etc, I'm crushed!Anyone that knows me will understand how much my bike means to me.Here's a picture of my model of bike, metallic blue/silver in colour .please note my bike has BLUE GRIPTAPE ON HANDLEBARS , and the handlebars have been shortened.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks a million
    This a pic of the model same as mine:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151074683023595&set=a.383013943594.162995.576683594&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pukeohontas

Hi All,

I had my Orbea Aqua T105 stolen from my shed last week(it was locked, but they cut open the 'B' section of the bolt mech.) . I reported it to the Gardai, but I don't hold out much hope. I bought it from Stagg cycles, Lucan in November 2010. Great bike. If anyone has any tips on getting it back I'd appreciate it. I've included a pic of my bike. I'm gutted....

Thanks,
    Pukey

Hi All,

I had my Orbea Aqua T105 stolen from my shed last week(it was locked, but they cut open the 'B' section of the bolt mech.) . I reported it to the Gardai, but I don't hold out much hope. I bought it from Stagg cycles, Lucan in November 2010. Great bike. If anyone has any tips on getting it back I'd appreciate it. I've included a pic of my bike. I'm gutted....

Thanks,
    Pukey

Watch the adverts sites - the online ones; maybe register your stolen bike on bikeregister.ie (secondhand buyers can check types and frame numbers here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

things are not getting any better are they? The thieves are actually having a field day at the moment.
    The truth is that posting on Boards is not reaching far enough, not enough people take the trouble to read about bike theft, unless perhaps they have recently had one lifted.
    There has to be a way to stop it, don't knock the gardai they do a fantastic job with sod all resources thanks to our politicians.
    So why have not manufacturers put in steering locks in the actual frame? Or a crank lock so that pedals can't go round. We need something which might cause severe problems for the people concerned.
    Okay a lot of the bikes going are high end models, who will buy them not your average cyclist? Are they going to club member's, do cycling clubs keep up a list of bikes, the Irish cycling federation, it might be called something else.
    Why can't clubs be circulated with details of bikes stolen, you are going to reach more cyclist, especially if the frame number is known.
    Yes a decent bike can be stripped down and sold as parts, can one mark them with an engraving or similar.
    It is sad to read all the comments about bikes going, you do need to get together and do something quick.
    I did suggest the insurers might help but that fell on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

i just went into bikeregister.ie with pictures of recovered bikes in Gardai possession, if you have lost one for goodness sake go in and have a look.

Watch the adverts sites - the online ones; maybe register your stolen bike on bikeregister.ie (secondhand buyers can check types and frame numbers here).

Thanks for the post. I registered with bikeshepherd.com and bike register.ie. I also gave a pic of the bike and serial number of the frame to the gardai. I agree that these are going to high end users. I wonder how we contact them with the list of stolen bikes. The insurance co. i'm with told me i'm insured to the max value of 300 euro. minus 125 excess. I'll be looking for a new insurance company i think when, and if i can get another bike.

Thanks,
    Pukey.

Thanks for the post. I registered with bikeshepherd.com and bike register.ie. I also gave a pic of the bike and serial number of the frame to the gardai. I agree that these are going to high end users. I wonder how we contact them with the list of stolen bikes. The insurance co. i'm with told me i'm insured to the max value of 300 euro. minus 125 excess. I'll be looking for a new insurance company i think when, and if i can get another bike.

Thanks,
    Pukey.

Must look at bikeshepherd.com, didn't know about it. There's a kind of funny piece on Indymedia from ages ago called something like Zen and the Art of Stolen Bicycles, about a guy trying to track down his stolen bike in Dublin.

Wouldn't it be lovely to stop these bicycle thefts, make them unfeasible?

Must look at bikeshepherd.com, didn't know about it. There's a kind of funny piece on Indymedia from ages ago called something like Zen and the Art of Stolen Bicycles, about a guy trying to track down his stolen bike in Dublin.

Wouldn't it be lovely to stop these bicycle thefts, make them unfeasible?

I read the article. Very interesting read. Great article.

If unscrupulous scumbags will buy stolen bikes, other enterprising scumbags will steal them to sell. It's a chain of scumbags all the way down, unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

Noticed today that my bicycle has been stolen out of my (secured) appartmentsbuilding. They cut through the chain and took off with it. If anyone sees this bicycle, let me know:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cqzigx.jpg

Also, I bought this bicycle from the DublinBikeMan 10 months ago and I don't have any receipt. If I ever see my bike on adverts.ie for example, how would I prove it's mine to the Gardai?

Rhand wrote: »
    Noticed today that my bicycle has been stolen out of my (secured) appartmentsbuilding. They cut through the chain and took off with it. If anyone sees this bicycle, let me know:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2cqzigx.jpg

Also, I bought this bicycle from the DublinBikeMan 10 months ago and I don't have any receipt. If I ever see my bike on adverts.ie for example, how would I prove it's mine to the Gardai?
    You have a record of the frame number, that is included in the report to the guards. It's the simple fact that so many people don't take a note of this number that leads to the majority of recovered bikes not being restored to their rightful owners...

Otherwise, check the guards flickr page, hope your bike appears, and claim it when/if it appears. Hopefully you'd be believed.

Thanks for the post. I registered with bikeshepherd.com and bikeregister.ie.

Does anyone know who's behind bikeregister.ie? I'm just a little nervous about sharing information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Shivers1

Hi just had my bike stolen right outside St Vincent's Private Hospital.

It's a Forme Preen ladies hybrid bike. Locked up at 8:20am when I arrived work and gone by 5:10pm when I left work. Reported to Guards but soo many stolen from there recently I'm not confident I will get it back.

Please keep an eye out.

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/bikes/road/preen.php

productimage.php?product_id=657

Advertisement