Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

If the donedeals and adverts sites could be persuaded to insist on requiring a serial number in photo and text form on all bike-for-sale ads, it would eliminate these as channels for stolen goods overnight. Anyone who had their bike stolen would just need to set up an automatic search for their own serial number to find it.

And what if they put up a made up serial number and how can portal verify the serial number and bike match? There is no official database of these.

The anonymity of these sites is the big draw for those selling stolen goods. If a seller had to register with official ID, their anonymity would go overnight. This is probably far from a perfect solution (argument for/against national IDcard etc) but it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    And what if they put up a made up serial number and how can portal verify the serial number and bike match? There is no official database of these.

The anonymity of these sites is the big draw for those selling stolen goods. If a seller had to register with official ID, their anonymity would go overnight. This is probably far from a perfect solution (argument for/against national IDcard etc) but it's a start.

t would be ideal if we could check serial numbers on a database like Cartel.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If a seller had to register with official ID, their anonymity would go overnight. This is probably far from a perfect solution (argument for/against national IDcard etc) but it's a start.
    yeah, how do you define an 'official ID'? though i'd say that it could be possible to add a 'premium seller' option to adverts, where you register your ID - with credit card details perhaps - with adverts. they may be a bit shy on that lest they get caught up in disputes that aren't actually related to stolen goods, per se.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Trekker09 wrote: »
    i'm just trying to think of a way a bike shop could offer some sort of escrow service - either financially or physically, but it seems awkward.

Trekker09 wrote: »

Back door to a registration for a cycle tax...:D

Joking aside, Cartel.ie exists because of a requirement to register and certify cars for use on roads. No such scheme exists and it if did, somebody would pay for it and that would be those owning cycles..

• Advertisement

yeah, how do you define an 'official ID'? though i'd say that it could be possible to add a 'premium seller' option to adverts, where you register your ID - with credit card details perhaps - with adverts. they may be a bit shy on that lest they get caught up in disputes that aren't actually related to stolen goods, per se.

I already said what thought it should be. Official National ID and mandatory carrying of it, is something we don't have in this country. The nearest we have is the Public Service Card, but it's only mandatory for new applicants for PPS no's and not mandatory to carry. Drivers Licence and passport are not mandatory to have so people can claim not to have them.

Credit card is not ID as it can be shared and is not photo or centrally registered. No portal is going to want to get involved in storing cc details on top of passwords and other personal data and I for one would not be keen on giving my cc to adverts or done deal.

The State has some role in protecting its citizens from fraud and making it more difficult for fraudsters and thiefs to con unsuspecting people and thus harder to profit from their illegal enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The buyer would need to match the quoted serial number against what they actually find on the bike. If they don't match, it is clearly a stolen bike.

They could have some kind of graded solution that if you want to sell more than x number of bikes each year, then you need to provide ID. I've sold three bikes in the last 10 years, so there is probably no need for me to be providing ID. But if I'm selling a bike or two every week, then ID should be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i'm just trying to think of a way a bike shop could offer some sort of escrow service - either financially or physically, but it seems awkward.

PayPal seem to manage it.

Official National ID and mandatory carrying of it, is something we don't have in this country.
    and amen to that. but that's another day's debate.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Chuchote wrote: »
    PayPal seem to manage it.
    You pretty much allow them carte blanche with your credit card account in return. They do also automatically have your personal details. Shops do not have the right to raid your credit card in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    You pretty much allow them carte blanche with your credit card account in return. They do also automatically have your personal details. Shops do not have the right to raid your credit card in the same way.

That and it's comparing a massive multinational company that is dedicated to an aspect of finance that can provide multiple levels of fraud protection and has all sorts of securities to a local bike shop that if lucky will take in anything from a few hundred to a few thousand a day.

Weepsie wrote: »
    That and it's comparing a massive multinational company that is dedicated to an aspect of finance that can provide multiple levels of fraud protection and has all sorts of securities to a local bike shop that if lucky will take in anything from a few hundred to a few thousand a day.

Hmm. Little idea for the banks there - offer an "escrow" service for business customers.

PayPal wasn't always mahoosive. It started out as a little company.

it's not a security benefit, but i've wondered whether people have considered getting bikes serviced before selling them - say spend €50 on it, and scan the receipt - just to add a little credibility. that said, i'd say bike shops might be wary of that being considered some sort of guarantee on their part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

it's not a security benefit, but i've wondered whether people have considered getting bikes serviced before selling them - say spend ?50 on it, and scan the receipt - just to add a little credibility. that said, i'd say bike shops might be wary of that being considered some sort of guarantee on their part.

My new bikes from LBS have been recorded in the shop (Think Bike and Fitzcycles), the others from Evans, I have photographed the number on the date of arrival and emailed it to myself. I may have to dig through my mail but in general, I have an order date, a delivery date and then a picture taken within 24 hours of me and the number. I am sure it is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭pmb

OsndfDk.jpg

Theives broke into my back garden in Sandymount last night, only to cut the lock off my Giant Defy 4 and take it away.

If anybody comes across it, it has some defining marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 2Fast4You

Tonight my bike got stolen.
    Stillorgan, Dublin.
    Down from Bolands, right by Stillorgan Orchard.

All black, painted. Had a kryptonite lock on it.

You can find me on Facebook Mikołaj Bulanov. PM me please.

Can not add picture as I am a new user.
    Will add as soon as possible.

Please share to spread the word and pm me if you have any info!

2Fast4You wrote: »
    Stillorgan, Dublin.

Put a pic up on your Facebook page and I'll post it here for you, Mikolaj.

Thank you for reply,

Can I send you photo in private via Whatsapp/ FB/ Email?

Thank you for reply,

Can I send you photo in private via Whatsapp/ FB/ Email?

No, sorry - but put it up on Flikr and post the link here and I'll post the picture. (To post a link when you're a new poster here, you'll have to split the URL up like this:

http:// www .example.com

otherwise the system will reject it, but I can glue it together again and post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grph

My Giant Contend SL 2 was stolen from Roebuck Hill, Clonskeagh over the past 2 weeks, I was away with work. Reported to Dundrum Garda Station.

Was locked with a Kryptonite U lock & cable and another cable lock. Bike is mainly black with blue & green trim on it. Fitted with Look Keo pedals and 2 black/green Elite Custom Race Bottle Cage from Wiggle

Here's a pic (without the pedal & cages, also just remove the spaces as a new user) - http:// imgur.com / a / 7he7W

Please let me know if you have any info on it. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

grph wrote: »
    My Giant Contend SL 2 was stolen from Roebuck Hill, Clonskeagh over the past 2 weeks, I was away with work. Reported to Dundrum Garda Station.

Was locked with a Kryptonite U lock & cable and another cable lock. Bike is mainly black with blue & green trim on it. Fitted with Look Keo pedals and 2 black/green Elite Custom Race Bottle Cage from Wiggle

Here's a pic (without the pedal & cages, also just remove the spaces as a new user) - http:// imgur.com / a / 7he7W

Please let me know if you have any info on it. Cheers!

jUgRpmw.jpg

Hi,

Here is a link to bike photo:
    https:// scontent-frt3-1 . xx . fbcdn . net/v/t1.0-9/18222120_10213451190705081_4317392973554506231_n.jpg?oh=199fa20173a5cc76542d47c47c2598b9&oe=597D3146

Stillorgan, Dublin.

18222120_10213451190705081_4317392973554506231_n.jpg?oh=199fa20173a5cc76542d47c47c2598b9&oe=597D3146
    Mikolaj's bike

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Bikes stolen from garden shed in Mulhuddart.
    2012 Lapierre Audacio 200
    Pic attached but has been updated since with 105 groupset, look keo pedals, shimano rs wheels and double black bar tape (for recent Paris Roubaix trip).

Carrera Parva womens mountain bike.

Please PM if anyone come across them

timbel wrote: »
    Bikes stolen from garden shed in Mulhuddart.
    2012 Lapierre Audacio 200
    Pic attached but has been updated since with 105 groupset, look keo pedals, shimano rs wheels and double black bar tape (for recent Paris Roubaix trip).

Carrera Parva womens mountain bike.

Please PM if anyone come across them

My good deed for the day: showing the photos above so they're photos, not links

416755.jpg

416756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,564 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

OT, but it seems that the bike thieves basically corkscrew the U lock free when they rob them.

Is this down to the weakness of the lock or is there a way to make a bike lock better?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

just bought a new bike, and 2 kryptonite locks, quite weary still...for anyone whose bikes have been taken, what locks have they been using and how were they cut up/left?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

HowItsMade wrote: »
    just bought a new bike, and 2 kryptonite locks, quite weary still...for anyone whose bikes have been taken, what locks have they been using and how were they cut up/left?

Don't lock it in a shed. Keep it indoors when at home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Leroy42 wrote: »
    OT, but it seems that the bike thieves basically corkscrew the U lock free when they rob them.

Is this down to the weakness of the lock or is there a way to make a bike lock better?

They basically use the bike as a level to apply pressure to the lock, the pressure wins.
    Lock your bike in a way that it cant be twisted to gain leverage. Not as easy as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

HowItsMade wrote: »

Don't lock it in a shed. Keep it indoors when at home (2) :)

Advertisement