Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Well just an anecdote but a bike I posted in this thread was reunited with it's owner about a year later after an honest chap who had purchased it found it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Another anecdote - local German guy who had his name on his bike ('engraved' according to the story, but I suspect it was decals) and the local gardaí saw someone cycling this unusually-named bike two hours after it was taken and got it back to him. This was in Kimmage, epicentre of the current bike theft business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Get caught after stealing 2 bikes, assault the owners, follow them to their work place and smash it up, have previous convictions? Not a problem, give a sob story and you're all good.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-smashed-up-pub-and-attacked-barman-when-confronted-over-stolen-bikes-avoids-jail-35598832.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Get caught after stealing 2 bikes, assault the owners, follow them to their work place and smash it up, have previous convictions? Not a problem, give a sob story and you're all good.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-smashed-up-pub-and-attacked-barman-when-confronted-over-stolen-bikes-avoids-jail-35598832.html
    Yeah,saw that. It really made me angry.

Yeah,saw that. It really made me angry.

Mm. But on the other hand, sending him to jail is unlikely to lead him out of criminality, and he'd behaved since then, and has worked for a hospice, suggesting that a lesson had been learned.

I assume the flats are called after the local Labour councillor who was active in the War of Independence time…

If he goes to jail for this, he'll find it incredibly hard to get work after a conviction, and his friends will probably be people who've been inside too. At the moment, he seems to be on a path to right living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Chuchote wrote: »
    Mm. But on the other hand, sending him to jail is unlikely to lead him out of criminality, and he'd behaved since then, and has worked for a hospice, suggesting that a lesson had been learned.

I assume the flats are called after the local Labour councillor who was active in the War of Independence time…

If he goes to jail for this, he'll find it incredibly hard to get work after a conviction, and his friends will probably be people who've been inside too. At the moment, he seems to be on a path to right living.

while i broadly agree with what you're saying here i'll also be pedantic and say that he got a conviction for this offence, just not a custodial sentence. he also has previous criminal convictions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume the stated age of 21 refers to the age at the time the offence was committed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Agree, I'm no bleeding heart, but this happened in 2011 and he's been good since then. Jail time would be a disaster for this guy, and not what should happen in a case like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I was surprised that two detectives found my bike in a place that mainly offered money for gold. I think all the local police got a notice with a picture of the bike.

Maybe the detectives were there for another reason. I was also impressed by the Guard who took my report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When I was in An Garda Siochana, I was constantly surprised by the number of people, who started doing charity work, immediately after they'd been caught for criminality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Agree, I'm no bleeding heart, but this happened in 2011 and he's been good since then. Jail time would be a disaster for this guy, and not what should happen in a case like this.

I doubt he's been 'good' since then. He just hasn't been caught. Most petty and not so petty crimes go undetected.
    The very fact that this person followed his victim to his place of work and proceeded to thrash the place,changes the nature of this.
    What will the judge say when he does some serious damage to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Defence counsel James Dwyer BL said Maloney was a talented footballer but had to quit because he suffered from epilepsy. This led to him becoming involved in drunk and drugs. Counsel said his client wanted to apologise to all his victims.
    OT but does every single Independent article have a typo in it these days? Does nobody read it before they publish?

Maybe its some kind of simple piracy protection where they can just Google that phrase and see if anyone is republishing their articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

On my way home from work, saw a local scrote on what looked like a brand new canyon, black matte finish. Bike was way too big for him, and a grey and maroon tracksuit is not usual cycling attire, so assuming it was nicked. he came down fumbally lane and turned right up to newmarket. Caught up and shouted if the bike was his, he tore off through cars, jumped a wall with the bike and headed away down cork st. Little b*stard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

retalivity wrote: »
    Caught up and shouted if the bike was his,
    Fair play to you, it takes some balls to challenge these scumbags, some make out like it's a no brainer or trivial thing, but you never know what they are carrying, or if their scum mates are about watching on. People talked of seeing lads cutting or attempting to break locks in broad daylight. My advise was to be standing well back, but instead of shouting "is that yours", "what are you up to" etc, to rather shout "THAT'S MY FCUKING BIKE!!!" from a distance, I think it is more likely to startle them and run off. Some will try and pass it off as though the bike is theirs and the key is broke/lost, or just say "F-off it's non of your business" in a small % of cases this will be true (lost keys), and if so they would certainly not do a runner and be genuinely confused why you are claiming it's yours.

If you are right upon them and they have a tool/weapon they might challenge/attack you, if you are from a distance they will either run or challenge you from a distance, which is pretty much openly declaring they are robbing it, or have robbed it if they are actually whizzing off on it -in which case you can get away if you want, but I think they are more likely to scarper off. I cannot imagine them being shouted at, leaving the bike and running up 20m to attack the accuser. Being from a distance you can shout out loud, angrily & furiously, alerting all passersby and so make the potential thief even more nervous that others are aware and might intervene or call the gardai, or have witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Sons bike robbed from round the side of a house and changing times antiques it's across from Lidl,Ardee,Co.Louth Its a black and red racer trek 1.2. Black handlebars,white saddle if you know, hear or see anything please pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Quosoo

So it happened My Giant Roam 0 (2014) has been stolen from my backyard shed in Lucan (Ballyowen area) at night on 6/7 April 2017. In the morning shed was still locked with a padlock - it was the hinge that was pried with a screwdriver.
    The bicycle was all black, equipped with mudguards, front&back lights and a kickstand. Reported to Gardai.
    Any help much appreciated - PM me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

[IMG][/img]9qv76g.jpg
    Dark blue with neon green 2016 Giant ToughRoad bike was stolen today from Dublin westwood club clontarf, from the "secure" car park. Was attached to their bike rack with cryptonite lock. Happened between 6 am and 1pm. The lock was still in place, so probable just cut the spikes on the wheel, i don't know. Devastated as I bought this bike for my wife on her birthday 17.04.2016 and it's gone on 19.04.2017. The bike itself was bought in Irish shop but had to be shipped from Germany as the frame had to be smaller than usual. Don't know how many of these bikes are there now in Ireland but at the time of purchase I was told there was only one in the country. If anyone sees it somewhere please do let me know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rootséire

Girlfriend's bike (same model as the one attached) was stolen tonight on Barrack Street in Cork, across the road from the coffee shop Alchemy between 6.30 and 11pm. Please contact me if you have any information. €50 reward offered.

Pic of bike: o-em.org/bike2.jpg

There's a thread for stolen bikes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324&page=224

and you might get more dedicated views there?

I can't see your picture from your link, OP. As you're a new poster you can't upload photos the normal way, I think, for the first 10 days, but you could put it on one of the dedicated sites, like Flikr, and post a link to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't see your picture from your link, OP. As you're a new poster you can't upload photos the normal way, I think, for the first 10 days, but you could put it on one of the dedicated sites, like Flikr, and post a link to that.

He posted a link to the picture in the OP.
    o-em.org/bike2.jpg

Mellor wrote: »
    He posted a link to the picture in the OP.
    o-em.org/bike2.jpg

Strange - I can see it in your link but can't open it in the original post.

bike2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Strange - I can see it in your link but can't open it in the original post.

bike2.jpg
    It doesn't auto URL tag links for new users. I had to copy and paste to into a new window browser.

Any recommendations for Kryptonite's Gravity Wheelnutz, which are said to prevent the wheels being stolen because they can't be undone unless the bike is turned upside down? Anyone use them?

A case against teenagers accused of being bike thieves in the Kimmage area collapsed last week in the Children's Court when the person supposed to identify the stolen bikes didn't show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

A case against teenagers accused of being bike thieves in the Kimmage area collapsed last week in the Children's Court when the person supposed to identify the stolen bikes didn't show.

Bloody typical. Little scrotes live to rob another day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Hmm...I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

wouldnt u need the serial number and a receipt to prove it was your bike in court ??

jacob2 wrote: »
    wouldnt u need the serial number and a receipt to prove it was your bike in court ??

I assume that this was so. Bikes are being stolen by being lifted over back walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 LanceVance

Vintage racer robbed in Ringsend about a week ago.

Painted black frame, brown leather saddle and handlewraps. Custom made stickers saying TOWNSEND with GB flags.

Would love to catch up with the thieves...

Advertisement