Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a number of posts as requested by couple of posters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Beasty wrote: »
    I've deleted a number of posts as requested by couple of posters

Would be interesting to know what happens there eventually though. Hope the guy gets his bike back

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LanceVance

Would be interesting to know what happens there eventually though. Hope the guy gets his bike back

that one looked promising alright. Has this thread resulted in anyone getting their bike back that you know of before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

LanceVance wrote: »
    that one looked promising alright. Has this thread resulted in anyone getting their bike back that you know of before?
    Yes

air wrote: »

wow, fair play to the bloke to bought it and then gave it away!

A year though? pretty sure I'll have bought a new one by then (which will in turn have already have been robbed, knowing Dublin).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

LanceVance wrote: »
    well, i don't want to go into too much detail, but it did live up to its promise. the bike has been reunited with its owner, and the state is providing room and board to an ungrateful guest tonight.
    big thanks to 5CHULZY for spotting it and sharing it; i owe you a pint.
    and to steve from adverts who was very helpful, your messages have been passed on to my friend.

well, i don't want to go into too much detail, but it did live up to its promise. the bike has been reunited with its owner, and the state is providing room and board to an ungrateful guest tonight.
    and to steve from adverts who was very helpful, your messages have been passed on to my friend.

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Fantastic result! Well done to all concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm delighted.
    Hope the scrote gets some justice handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Chuchote wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Kryptonite's Gravity Wheelnutz, which are said to prevent the wheels being stolen because they can't be undone unless the bike is turned upside down? Anyone use them?

I haven't heard of them before.

I used to use the Zefal Lock n Roll skewers which are gravity enabled quick release. They did the job of securing my Reelights that were skewer mounted; I had had some stolen before I started using them. I always locked both wheels anyway, so I doubt they were ever really tested. Mixed reviews on Amazon.

Now I use Pinhead skewers so if someone is thinking of stealing my bike, they'll realise they won't be able to take off the wheels or even adjust the saddle, hopefully deterring them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Can't find a picture I took myself, but included a stock picture. Bike was stolen from underground car park in Ringsend last week. I've been checking adverts & donedeal, but no sign of bike unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Can't find a picture I took myself, but included a stock picture. Bike was stolen from underground car park in Ringsend last week. I've been checking adverts & donedeal, but no sign of bike unfortunately.

Quoting to show picture rather than link. (To show the picture, upload the photo as normal, post, then right-click on the link and choose "Copy link address", then choose "Edit", click the icon of a stamped letter above and paste in the address, and "Submit reply".

415807.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

Quoting to show picture rather than link. (To show the picture, upload the photo as normal, post, then right-click on the link and choose "Copy link address", then choose "Edit", click the icon of a stamped letter above and paste in the address, and "Submit reply".

415807.jpg

if u havent a picture of your bike why would put up a stock photo wen there could be loads of that model of bike knocking around no picture /serial number but look out for that model

jacob2 wrote: »
    if u havent a picture of your bike why would put up a stock photo wen there could be loads of that model of bike knocking around no picture /serial number but look out for that model

As far as I remember, the advice for this thread is not to put up a serial number publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭micar

Saw an fairly new looking orange cube mountain bike with a puchered rear tyre being wheel but 2 kids in grey tracksuits near Christchurch today around 4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jacob2 wrote: »
    If he had a picture of his exact bike you still wouldn't be able to read the serial number. :confused:
    And it would likely be indistinguishable (in a photo) from others that are the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MacG14

Stolen Specialized Sworks Epic World Cup 29er, Size large
    Stolen from basement car park in Ringsend, Dublin on Monday 17.4.17

Full Suspension carbon frame mountain bike
    Sram xx1 1*11 drivetrain
    xtr brakes
    Rockshock sid brain forks.
    White specialized saddle
    Carbon seatpost and bars
    Training wheels were on it: Stans arch rear & American classic front.
    Please keep an eye out for this & let me know if u see it around, thanks
    Reward offered for return of this bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MacG14

415958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As far as I remember, the advice for this thread is not to put up a serial number publicly.

If the donedeals and adverts sites could be persuaded to insist on requiring a serial number in photo and text form on all bike-for-sale ads, it would eliminate these as channels for stolen goods overnight. Anyone who had their bike stolen would just need to set up an automatic search for their own serial number to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If the donedeals and adverts sites could be persuaded to insist on requiring a serial number in photo and text form on all bike-for-sale ads, it would eliminate these as channels for stolen goods overnight. Anyone who had their bike stolen would just need to set up an automatic search for their own serial number to find it.

The for sale groups on FB are where a lot of items are being sold. I sold some stuff online recently and it was all gone in a matter of hours through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

True, but I reckon a lot of top end bikes are dismantled and sold as parts

Not to mention they should have to insist on a receipt (with name and address blanked out) being part of the ads.
    Trekker09 wrote: »
    True, but I reckon a lot of top end bikes are dismantled and sold as parts

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Not to mention they should have to insist on a receipt (with name and address blanked out) being part of the ads.

In an ideal world maybe but in reality it would never work and be a silly rule.

I've built up and sold several bikes over the years. Usually with parts I've picked up along the way. It could be argued they the frame number only guarantees the grand is yours. Until manufacturers mark individual components which will never happen and have a data base of bought/sold/traded/dumped bikes and components bike theft is near impossible to stamp out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have three bikes, all fully legally owned. i don't have receipts for any of them; two were bought over 12 years ago and i've moved house three times since and couldn't tell you where the receipts are, and the third was bought secondhand.

There's a big difference between including a receipt where you have one. And requiring a original receipt to sell something 2nd hand.

The former is sensible, the latter a bit ridiculous

i have three bikes, all fully legally owned. i don't have receipts for any of them; two were bought over 12 years ago and i've moved house three times since and couldn't tell you where the receipts are, and the third was bought secondhand.

It's a question of efficiency. If you buy something for several hundred euro, any normally efficient person will file the receipt where it can be found.

Also, may I suggest that people who lose or don't keep the receipts at the moment do so because they think the receipt is not going to be of further use. If it were necessary for selling on the bike, as a logbook is for a car, they'd make damn sure to keep them carefully filed!

It's a question of efficiency. If you buy something for several hundred euro, any normally efficient person will file the receipt where it can be found.
    I'd expect it from somebody who keeps fastidious records.
    But I'm not sure it's efficient, as it doesn't increase productivity or reduce work.

I keep receipts for big items as it acts as a sort of warranty. But I clear out old receipts when the warranty period passes. It's A bit anal to keep every recipet to have for 10 years or more.
    Also, may I suggest that people who lose or don't keep the receipts at the moment do so because they think the receipt is not going to be of further use. If it were necessary for selling on the bike, as a logbook is for a car, they'd make damn sure to keep them carefully filed!
    Yeah of course, IF they were necessary more people would keep them.
    But they aren't necessary, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd expect it from somebody who keeps fastidious records.
    But I'm not sure it's efficient, as it doesn't increase productivity or reduce work.

I keep receipts for big items as it acts as a sort of warranty. But I clear out old receipts when the warranty period passes. It's A bit anal to keep every recipet to have for 10 years or more.
    Speaking of warranty, given that a lot of cyclists may actually have a relationship with the shop where they bought the bike, they may not even need the receipt for warranty, as the LBS may know/have their own records of when the bike was bought.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah of course, IF they were necessary more people would keep them.
    But they aren't necessary, so...
    There's also the issue that under BTW, since the employer buys the bike and gives it to the employee, it is perfectly reasonable that the employee may not actually have a receipt, as they did not purchase. In some multinationals trying to get a copy of same from the accounts department would be a fools errand for the purposes of a potential second hand sale.

cython wrote: »
    Speaking of warranty, given that a lot of cyclists may actually have a relationship with the shop where they bought the bike, they may not even need the receipt for warranty, as the LBS may know/have their own records of when the bike was bought.

There's also the issue that under BTW, since the employer buys the bike and gives it to the employee, it is perfectly reasonable that the employee may not actually have a receipt, as they did not purchase. In some multinationals trying to get a copy of same from the accounts department would be a fools errand for the purposes of a potential second hand sale.

Well, not really. You go to the shop where you got it and tell them the date and the prize and produce the bike, and ask for a duplicate receipt. #shrug

When I bought my last bike I was given a receipt (by email) and asked for a receipt with the frame number on it, and was sent that, also by email.

However, receipts may not be necessary when SigFox developers get their thumb out and invent a tracker that's small enough for feasible use on bicycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Argos ask, or did the last time I recall if I wanted a receipt/invoice emailed to me.

Most paper receipts are printed on Thermal Paper which fades after time. There are ways to make it last a bit longer, and ways to restore it, and obviously creating a digital backup or photocopy would be best practice, but not everyone does this.

People get scammed buying cars frequently enough even with the logbook. Those that are buying stolen bikes for the most part, are not the type of care about whether or not there is a receipt and won't care if it's a requirement.

Advertisement