Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minecraft Update thread (1.8 Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

1.6.3 is out now. It's a bit more stable, but haven't tested it much.
    Won't my client update as soon as I log in?
    Won't that stop me from playing one the 1.5 server?

When you start the game up it'll ask you if you want to update. Just say no and you should be fine.
    seamus wrote: »
    Kepp right-clicking and you should be able to create as many block as you want. Or with furnace:

Stick a single coal block in the bottom row. Take a single block of anything which you can use in the furnace, and right-click, then again, and again, and again. And you can keep creating them to your heart's desire. Got a few hundred gold blocks smelting now, this'll make mining for diamond much easier. :D
    1.6.3 seems to have put a stop to this.
    so how do you make the maps and trap doors? whatsthe receipe?
    The map is a compass surrounded by 8 paper. The trapdoor is 6 blocks of wood taking up the bottom 6 squares of the crafting table.

EDIT: Now it's telling me that I don't have a graphics card and won't start anymore. So I guess I'm waiting until 1.6.4 :(

I may as well give a mini review of the less bugged part of the update.

The tall grass is a bit odd looking at first, but I'm kind of happy now that I'm not going to have my inventory filled everytime I till a bit of land for crops.

I didn't get to play with the trapdoor much, but it's a cool little addition. You can link a load of them together (I've been told they make a great drawbridge) with redstone and they're also a nice pattern for those who want to use them as standard floor tiles.

The map, from what I can tell, is next to useless. It doesn't cover a particularly large area and only really serves to show you places that you're already going to be familiar with. The quality of it isn't up to much either. Someone might find a use for it, but it just seems like a waste of a compass to me.

One thing I didn't get to check, but heard of is that they've removed booster carts. :(

All in all, I could really have done without this update.

And 1.6.4 is out. Still crashes, but at least I can get in now. Some frame rate issues, but they're at least on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The map is a bit dissappointing really. Theres not a lot of detail in them. I could only make out some of the larger buildings but smaller ones dont seem to show very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The map is a bit dissappointing really. Theres not a lot of detail in them. I could only make out some of the larger buildings but smaller ones dont seem to show very well.

They should have the ability to let you draw on them. (maybe make a charcoal pen out of furnaced sticks :p ) so you can mark points of interest.

(May have that, haven't played yet.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

Hmm im just getting a black screen of death, wish i hadn't updated...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

I can confirm that booster carts are no longer working :(

I hope to god they give the powered rails a bit of actual power now. With the booster carts gone, my minecart system is utterly useless. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lads, does the tall grass grows in allready made worlds? i cant see any tall grass in my sp game at all, but i can get it when i make new world :(

any ideas on that?

No idea, I'm afraid. I started with a fresh install.

• Advertisement

I don't like the way trapdoors are set. It does not go with the level of block. Put it goes to the bottom of hole... These would be great for roofs, but like this it's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doud

lads, does the tall grass grows in allready made worlds? i cant see any tall grass in my sp game at all, but i can get it when i make new world :(

any ideas on that?
    The tall grass will only show on newly generated chunks, so you either need a new map or go to unexplored portions of your old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

To update or not update, that is the question? Is it worth updateing now, or better just to wait until 1.6 is sorted and stick with 1.5?

sarumite wrote: »
    To update or not update, that is the question? Is it worth updateing now, or better just to wait until 1.6 is sorted and stick with 1.5?
    Wait until it's sorted. You're going to lose a lot of items when it crashes randomly (actually mainly when you're crafting). There's not much in it that's going to make you really want to update anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

humanji wrote: »

When you start the game up it'll ask you if you want to update. Just say no and you should be fine.

I never get that option. I always have to roll-back by removing my new minecraft.jar file from the bin folder and then put back the older one that I have online.

Maybe because I'm on OSX?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I never get that option. I always have to roll-back by removing my new minecraft.jar file from the bin folder and then put back the older one that I have online.

Im on OSX too and it always asks me if i want to update!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Did you download the new launcher that was released a few months back? If you still use the old launcher then it updates with asking, but the new one gives you an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

TheGodBen wrote: »
    Did you download the new launcher that was released a few months back? If you still use the old launcher then it updates with asking, but the new one gives you an option.

Got it! :P

omg.... i had no trouble with any 1.6.* patch. this new one 1.6.4 fecked up everything.... crashing. if i do fullscreen it crashes. frame rate droped like crap.... :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1.6.6 is now out, and will be the last update before 1.7, which won't happen for a while thank god.

• Advertisement

* Removed Herobrine
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

just saw that now Humanji :eek::eek::eek:

lads, how can you power up booster rails so you would not see torch or chain coming it it? i mean how to hide it?

i did button lift off station allright. just a lever and all redstone is hidden, but i dont know how to just to supply power to booster rails nicely. chain cant go up to block?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

lads, how can you power up booster rails so you would not see torch or chain coming it it? i mean how to hide it?

i did button lift off station allright. just a lever and all redstone is hidden, but i dont know how to just to supply power to booster rails nicely. chain cant go up to block?
    Put the torch below the block on which the rail is.
    Like this:

__
    ::
    I

Where the line is a rail, the colons are blocks and the I is a torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Put a torch under the rail.

161225.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I watched that last night and it was all a bit meh until the door bit at which point i creamed my pants.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

i like! sticky pistons ftw, opening mountain face lair anyone? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Cant wait to use pistons to make secret bookshelf doors, traps and could be handy for faster farming also :)

Advertisement