Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

If they don't have your number, then they will not see you in their Viber contact list, hence not know when you install Viber (they will not get the notification you got).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hey has Viber been a bit sketchy for anybody else lately? Sometimes the other party cannot hear me while I hear them talking, sometimes visa versa...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey has Viber been a bit sketchy for anybody else lately? Sometimes the other party cannot hear me while I hear them talking, sometimes visa versa...

I find the calls function to be crap but the texts function (which is mostly what I use) works perfectly... Viber is technically not supported by the HTC Wildfire or Hero so if either of you are using these then that could be your problem

@CyberGhost -
    What device are you using? Which version of Android/iOS?

@colmtheperson -
    Viber does not officially support these devices (due to obsolete voice mechanism on both Wildfire and Hero), and that is the reason for the problems you are experiencing. We're working to adapt Viber better to more and more devices, and once we have news we'll let you know.

I find the calls function to be crap but the texts function (which is mostly what I use) works perfectly... Viber is technically not supported by the HTC Wildfire or Hero so if either of you are using these then that could be your problem
    Viber wrote: »
    @CyberGhost -
    What device are you using? Which version of Android/iOS?

I'm using iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.0.1, latest version of Viber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

@colmtheperson -
    Viber does not officially support these devices (due to obsolete voice mechanism on both Wildfire and Hero), and that is the reason for the problems you are experiencing. We're working to adapt Viber better to more and more devices, and once we have news we'll let you know.

I'm aware of this but for me the issue is not a big one... The texting works fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Great app, but I have to say I find it erratic and buggy.

Sometimes I get a push notification from "+353xxxxxxxx" even though the number is assigned to a contact in the address book, Viber doesn't always recognise this :confused:

A few other odd things, like text messages and conversations vanishing randomly without me deleting them. Oh, and had to turn off notifications of new contacts because the app would keep telling me a new contact had joined Viber even if they were already in my Viber address book. Maybe it's the user deleting and reinstalling the app or re-registering for the service, still a nuisance I'd associate with the app.

Still a handy and an overall excellent app in theory, just needs better integration with iPhone 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I have a suggestion for a major improvement for this app.
    Why not have it send texts through your webtext account if the contact is not on viber, instead of an ordinary text. Only send an ordinary text if both viber and webtexts are not available. Integrate the functionality of something like jellysms into it.

@CyberGhost -
    As long as both sides are connected to a high-speed WiFi network, there shouldn't be such problems. At any rate - we are about to release a new version (2.1.4) with many improvements and fixes. It should be available on AppStore soon, and once it is - try it out and let me know if the problem persists.

@Savman -
    All the problems you described with messaging are known and will be resolved in our upcoming version 2.1.4. About the problem with the "Joined" notification (you say you get notified of the same user multiple times, if I understood correctly) - please report this to our support team - it is indeed a bug. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/ukGVJ0

@CricketDude -
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    It's indeed something we are considering these days, but actually - if all goes as planned - we might have our own WebSMS. As I announced here a few months ago, we started working on Viber for PC/Mac, so that could be the solution for what you're looking for :)

New version is out, 2.1.4.

From what I can notice the top toolbar buttons got fixed, they had this sunken and odd look in the last couple of versions, now they look native iOS, as they should.

Great job team, I like that you guys pay attention to little things like that.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

As mentioned above, a new version of Viber (2.1.4) has just been released to AppStore. It contains many bug fixes and should make the Viber experience on iOS devices overall much smoother and convenient :)

Try it out, and let us know if you still experience problems.

Something I really like about Viber compared to iMessage is that when you send somebody a text message if they don't have a connection, you'll get the "Sent" tag, but once they acquire a connection the message will get delivered and you'll get a "Delivered" tag.

With iMessage, if they don't have a connection that message will not get to them, even when they connect, it's lost.

But I wish Viber had a better method for recognising other Viber users other than having to add them to your address book to find out. iMessage in this regard is better cause you can just enter somebody's phone number and if they've got iMessage on, then the buttons will change from green to blue, in Viber you can't even start a message unless you have that person in the address book or the recent calls log.

Have you guys updated to new Viber?

Picture sending and location sharing has been added as well as other small tweaks, really sweet! I like that you can tap anywhere in messages now and hide the keyboard, "Free call" button is nice, "Delivered" notification under the text message is nice. Definitely noticed an audio improvement over 3G, it's smoother now, I like the new tab layout on the bottom, logical.

Overall a very nice update!

However, now onto suggestions for the future updates...

- Images received get auto saved to library, not sure whether this is a good thing or bad, IMO would've preferred if they were not auto saved and there was an option instead to "Save to Library" in the "Send by Email", "Share on Facebook", etc... menu. But this might be done to save space on the server and keep pictures locally, I guess? Peer-to-Peer instead of the cloud.

- Also images seem to be sent in lower resolution and there is no pinch zooming images when you view them in Viber.

- Would've been nice if we could share not only our location but any location and address, much like with sending pictures... should be embedded into that menu. Maybe I want to send a person the location of the shop I was in yesterday.

- Video calls.

- Call recording.

- Cheap/competitive VoIP calls to mobiles/landlines service, with top ups, balance check, call history, etc... This would be great, forfone does it, I hope Viber will too cause, I'd love to use one application for all VoIP stuff.

- Audio notes in messages would be great, if a person is not picking up, send an audio clip like in WhatsApp.

- PC Application(and don't make it look like an iPhone like Tango did, it looks stupid! Use the native Windows UI).

Overall, you guys are doing an insanely great job! Thank you very much!

EDIT: Viber beat me to it.

I'd also like to add that sending images with EXIF data preserved and the receiver having an ability to open the geo location from those images in the maps would be great. Quickly snap a picture, send it, the receiver can find you.

@CyberGhost -
    Both the features that you mentioned (location inside photos, and the ability to type in the number for a message recipient) are planned for the future, but we are not sure exactly when it will be ready. We currently have other tasks pending development and testing :)

Stay tuned for news though - we keep expanding and adding new features as newer versions are released.

That's awesome!

Eagerly anticipating the next version, hopefully it'll have some new features!

OK, got another idea...

How about letting Viber open map links into third party GPS applications, like TomTom, Sygic, NAVIGON, etc... ?

That way when somebody sends you a location, besides opening in iOS Maps, you can open it directly in the third party GPS app you want.

There are lots of that are starting to do that, there is a "Where To?" app in the app store for example and it lets you do exactly that... here's what it looks like.

Opening a location in third party apps...
    BTtww.png

This is what Viber currently looks like...
    3LKTz.png

So if you added, TomTom, Sygic, NAVIGON, MotionX, Navfree, etc... would be really helpful and convenient.

Hmmm... interesting idea! Thanks :)

I invite you to enter our Feature Request page and post your suggestion there, or join an existing similar suggestion. The more people join on a request, the faster it will become reality :)

You can find it here: http://helpme.viber.com/index.php/Knowledgebase/Article/View/43/9/have-an-idea-for-a-new-feature

Thanks!

I've already submitted all my ideas through that link ;)

Hi all,
    I'm excited to announce the Viber 2.1.3 is finally available for download on Market.
    First and foremost, this new version is compatible with ICS (Android 4) - so the long anticipation is finally over :)

In addition, the new version contains bug fixes and small new features for your convenience.

Please try it out and let us know if you encounter any special problems.

Best regards,
    the Viber Team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The latest Viber update has removed all my Viber contacts :mad:

• Advertisement

Amtmann wrote: »
    The latest Viber update has removed all my Viber contacts :mad:

Are we talking about iPhone or Android?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Are we talking about iPhone or Android?

iPhone 4s. All of my contacts are now gone, for Viber as well as the regular contacts on my phone. This happened immediately after I installed the latest Viber update. :mad:

Apologies - it seems to have been the result of something else I did. Sorry Viber! :o

Amtmann wrote: »
    iPhone 4s. All of my contacts are now gone, for Viber as well as the regular contacts on my phone. This happened immediately after I installed the latest Viber update. :mad:

Apologies - it seems to have been the result of something else I did. Sorry Viber! :o

Haha... OK then, my response deleted :)
    It's ok, and feel free to cotact me again with any other questions/suggestion!

Hey, is anybody else's on call graphics messed up in Viber?

jolLU.png

"audio source" is misaligned and "switch to GSM" and it's icon look weird.

Looks Android-ish.

Hey, is anybody else's on call graphics messed up in Viber?

jolLU.png

"audio source" is misaligned and "switch to GSM" and it's icon look weird.

Looks Android-ish.

Thanks for the report.
    This issue should be fixed in our next big version of Viber for iOS (still no specific release dates).

Once released, please try it out and let me know if you encounter the problem again. Thank you in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

Not connecting to Viber today:o, i phone 4???? Wifi connection is fine!!!

decies wrote: »
    Not connecting to Viber today:o, i phone 4???? Wifi connection is fine!!!

Hi,

We are not aware of any major issue with our servers.

Have you made sure this isn't a local problem with your connection? Does the problem still persist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

I deleted app and re added , it works now

Great to hear!

Let me know if you encounter any more problems in the future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just noticed recently that incoming calls are not showing on my phone. Then it will show missed call on phone when it didn't ring ?.
    I'm using Version 2.1.5.270 :(

Advertisement