Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Viber wrote: »
    @colmtheperson -
    Unfortunately, Viber does not officially support Wildfire yet, and that's because it's quite a rare device. There are some internal problems in Wildfire that make it difficult for us to implement Viber's voice engine, for example. We are doing our best to adapt Viber to more and more devices, and we hope to have good news soon.

So either your problem is caused by the lack of full compatibility, or it's a disrupted network connection (on either side) that's causing this.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so fast. I was not aware of the lack of official support for my phone. I have a feeling that it could be a disrupted network as the phone call was made (and received) using 3G networks.

Just a few questions in case I am wrong:

Considering the Wildfire is quite a rare device, and that it has now been replaced by the Wildfire S, are ye going to be officially supporting the device in the future?

Is it officially supported on the Wildfire S?

Is there an ability to personalise the Viber ringtone?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

@colmtheperson -
    Well,
    Currently, we prioritize our limited resources to developing and adapting Viber to the most popular devices (unfortunately we have to go with what the market chooses - if there are very popular devices, we need to attend to them first...)

This doesn't mean that Wildfire S will *never* be supported, of course. It means that it'll take some time before Viber runs perfectly smoothly on it.
    In the case of Wildfire S specifically, I don't don't know if there's a general, broad problem like Wildfire. If you have a friend with a Wildfire S, you can have him try out Viber, and I would appreciate if you let me know how Viber functions there :)

About customized ringtones - it's a feature we certainly plan to add in the future. No specific dates yet, but we are well aware of the demand for this among our users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i know its not on apple, but viber on my htc has never really worked properly.

every time i turn my 3g on (which is every few hours) i get notifications of friends joinging viber, but soemtimes it takes up to a week to for a viber msg to deliver to a friend, or to receive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

@colmtheperson -
    Well,
    Currently, we prioritize our limited resources to developing and adapting Viber to the most popular devices (unfortunately we have to go with what the market chooses - if there are very popular devices, we need to attend to them first...)

Unfortunate for me but understandable at the same time. It's not a major problem as I mainly use the app for texting over calls, it's not even that much lag.
    This doesn't mean that Wildfire S will *never* be supported, of course. It means that it'll take some time before Viber runs perfectly smoothly on it.
    In the case of Wildfire S specifically, I don't don't know if there's a general, broad problem like Wildfire. If you have a friend with a Wildfire S, you can have him try out Viber, and I would appreciate if you let me know how Viber functions there :)

Unfortunately I don't know anybody with that phone yet, if I do in future (might be tempted to get it myself at some stage) I will update you with how well/badly it works
    About customized ringtones - it's a feature we certainly plan to add in the future. No specific dates yet, but we are well aware of the demand for this among our users.

Cool :)

On another unrelated note, my mate in the UK is using a Samsung wave (uses bada) twoud be quite handy to text him for free, any plans regarding viber for bada? I am aware of the low take-up lol

@copeyhagen -
    In order for a Viber text message to be successfully delivered, a stable internet connection is needed on both sides. On the sender's side when they send the message, and on the receiver's side in order to receive it (doesn't have to be simultaneous, the message i pending until the recipient comes online).

Please try it out when both users are connected to a high-speed WiFi connection, and both have the latest version of Viber installed. Does the problem still occur?

About your device - you'll be surprised, but to some extent, our Android version is more stable than our iOS version :) Which HTC do you have?

• Advertisement

On another unrelated note, my mate in the UK is using a Samsung wave (uses bada) twoud be quite handy to text him for free, any plans regarding viber for bada? I am aware of the low take-up lol

While Bada poses some serious limitations on implementing VoIP, developing Viber's texting service may be possible to accomplish and even relatively soon.

Having said that, Viber for Bada is being seriously discussed these days, and we hope to have positive, official announcements soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Captain McDuck

is Viber an Irish company?

is Viber an Irish company?

Nope.
    We've based in the USA and Cyprus, with offices in Israel as well.

If you're wondering why we have an official representation here on Boards.ie - that's because we have tons of Irish users :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Hi Viber,

Any chance of adding a feature in the future where you can opt to receive and send texts only, as opposed to calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

As a matter of interest, are there any plans to develop viber for windows phone?

• Advertisement

@Tremelo -
    This option is being discussed in our company these days. We totally understand the need for it, but in some cases, if you are not a "tech user" and accidentally turned it off, it would cause great damage and would be hard to figure out just why you're not receiving calls anymore ;)

As I said - we're looking into it, and once I have news on that I'll let you know.

@foxerv1 -
    It's certainly planned. It's in relatively early stages of development at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

When Making calls to my brother in america there is always a very bad lag roughly 2 seconds is this normal because of the distance. I'm usually on wifi and he is on 3g is there anyway to reduce the lag.

The reason for the lag is probably disruptions in your brother's 3G network. Please test Viber when both sides are connected to a high-speed WiFi. Does the lag occur also now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭decies

When I get calls from herself on viber my phone doesn't ring , both of us on i phone 4 on iOS 5 . Have tried deleting and adding the app!!!

decies wrote: »
    When I get calls from herself on viber my phone doesn't ring , both of us on i phone 4 on iOS 5 . Have tried deleting and adding the app!!!

Is your iPhone Jailbroken?
    Also, did you make sure all Push Notification settings for Viber are enabled?

The VIber notification was set to banner as opposed to alert. It rang there today for first time in ages.

So is it working now?
    What was the problem? please try to elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

This only reflects a scenario when I'm on 3g, it works fine on wifi..

Here's a thing, somebody calls me from viber and for about 10 seconds we can talk, then the call gets dropped.
    I was being called from an american caller on wifi when I was on 3g

I was convinced that VF had me be blocked, as anywhere I went this was the case. (previously it worked) It was the same when I made a call, It would stay alive for 10 seconds then boom!

Now I'm not so sure, it seems to be that it might and it might not work, depending on load on the vodafone cell.

At weekends when there are less people around it tends to be more likely to work, and during office hours it is terrible.
    I'm not sure if its possible that vodafone only allow a certain number of users per cell, and sometimes I'm lucky and sometimes I'm not, but that seems to be the case.

A cellular company can implement different types of limitations (hypothetically), and even the scenario that you are describing could be a result of that.

I have a few questions that'll hopefully help us determine the source of the problem:
    1. Do you have a special VoIP-plan with Vodafone, or just a basic data plan?
    2. Do you have friends who have the same plan as you, and also connected to Vodafone's 3G? Are they experiencing the same issue, or for them it works fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A question for the Viber rep.

Does Viber user a vastly different voice protocol to Skype? The reason I ask is that pretty much every time I want to make a Viber call, it does not work so I have to resort back to Skype, which works flawlessly.

I'm using an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1 on various permutations of Wifi and 3G, to differing recipients in different countries.

I can only recall one successful Viber call in the six months I have it.

• Advertisement

Hmm...
    What you're describing is really strange (that even WiFi-WiFi calls sounded bad).

Yes, we use a different VoIP protocol than Skype, but our new protocol (added on Viber 2.1.x and above) is actually better than our old one, and should adjust the quality automatically in accordance with the reception quality.

Please contact our support team at http://support.viber.com - they will walk you through possible solutions, and hopefully manage to understand the source of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Ive been getting viber text messages which i see in the notifications.
    When I go into viber, viber crashes out back to the home screen. When I run viber again there is no trace of the text message.
    So people are texting me, i cant see the full text and then the text disappears, so i dont even know what it is.

It happens about once every few days. Very annoying because i have to then text the person, if i can remember who it even, and ask them what they texted me

@CricketDude -
    This is a known issue, and we're working hard these days to fix it ASAP.
    We apologize for the temporary inconvenience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

A cellular company can implement different types of limitations (hypothetically), and even the scenario that you are describing could be a result of that.

I have a few questions that'll hopefully help us determine the source of the problem:
    1. Do you have a special VoIP-plan with Vodafone, or just a basic data plan?
    2. Do you have friends who have the same plan as you, and also connected to Vodafone's 3G? Are they experiencing the same issue, or for them it works fine?

#1 just a smartphone data plan (2gb per month), I wasn't aware there was a voip plan ;)
    #2 friends using 02 network are fine, will hunt an ios vf user nearby next week.

Maybe the upload speed is too slow, forcing the call to drop...

Could also be.
    Only some elimination work could determine the reason for this ;)

So is it working now?
    What was the problem? please try to elaborate.

Nope not working correctly the phone number alert appears but viber does not ring. I can answer it and talk, but no ringing sound from viber!!! its on three network pay monthly i phone 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

To the Viber rep: any plans to make it possible to block certain contacts from texting/calling you?

Am ringing my Julie on viber, she answers and it continues to ring at her end wtf !!!

@Tremelo -
    Yep, it's a feature we're considering to add these days. We might add it in our new, big version that's coming up, but we still don't have a final answer on that. I'll keep you posted :)

@decies -
    It sounds like one of the sides might be blocked.
    Please test Viber when both sides are connected to a few different WiFi networks (meaning - switch between networks each time, on both sides of the Viber call). Does the problem persist in all of those?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Tremelo wrote: »
    To the Viber rep: any plans to make it possible to block certain contacts from texting/calling you?

I would love this.
    I have people in my contacts who i dont want to be able to call me over VOIP when i have calls diverted or only data switched on.
    They just call me on Viber, making my efforts to not be contactable null and void.

Also, When someone in my contact list registers for Viber I get a notification telling me they have registered. Does this mean they know I am on viber too?

I have had people pop up whose numbers I have but as far as im aware, they dont have mine. Is this possible? Do they definitely have my phone number?

Advertisement