Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

awec wrote: »
    So one of the pretty reliable in-the-knows on UAFC just clarified this.

Hogg arranged a meeting with Ulster.

Ulster not interested.

Not happening.

Maybe he was doing what some of our lads do when they are 'seen' at French clubs. Just bargaining for a better contract from Glasgow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Maybe he was doing what some of our lads do when they are 'seen' at French clubs. Just bargaining for a better contract from Glasgow.

Maybe he believed Payne to Leinster rumours and thought he could replace him.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably this.

Though he has a year left on his deal - would be poor form if he's doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Apparently Franco Van Der Merwe is going to Ulster after the super rugby season. Good lineout operator and has started for SA recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

matthew8 wrote: »
    Apparently Franco Van Der Merwe is going to Ulster after the super rugby season. Good lineout operator and has started for SA recently.

And so we are spared dozens of pages worth of project player debates, praise the lord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Not good news if you were hoping to see Henderson's progression at lock speed up with the exit of Muller.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hagz wrote: »
    Not good news if you were hoping to see Henderson's progression at lock speed up with the exit of Muller.

We always needed a lock.

Henderson, Tuohy and Stevenson are our only decent options for next year right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

matthew8 wrote: »

This is now confirmed by BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Tox56 wrote: »
    And so we are spared dozens of pages worth of project player debates, praise the lord

He'll be 32 next birthday, don't think it would have been much of a debate

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

A word from Connacht is that Shane O Leary has joined from Grenoble for next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

A word from Connacht is that Shane O Leary has joined from Grenoble for next season

Is that rugby transferts (sp?) blog still going?

Last time I checked it hadn't been updated for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Morf wrote: »
    Is that rugby transferts (sp?) blog still going?

Last time I checked it hadn't been updated for ages.

I loved that blog, shame it's gone.

It looks like the author is now with a different site, or the author of the below site is copying the format completely, but here is a slightly aged post on transfers (from January) but this site deals with wider rugby content as well as just transfers, so might be the same guy.

http://intheloose.com/2014/01/08/2014s-biggest-rugby-transfer-rumours/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

When Henderson is good enough, he'll pass Tuohy. Mightn't happen for a while, Tuohy is a good player. Took Dave Foley until now to pass DOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fireball07 wrote: »
    When Henderson is good enough, he'll pass Tuohy. Mightn't happen for a while, Tuohy is a good player. Took Dave Foley until now to pass DOC.

That really isn't relevant to Henderson.

Not sure why he has to become good enough to pass Touhy rather than just playing alongside Touhy.

Because Franco Van der Merwe is too good to bench. In the sense that he's better than both Henderson and Tuohy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

danthefan wrote: »
    That really isn't relevant to Henderson.

Not sure why he has to become good enough to pass Touhy rather than just playing alongside Touhy.

It's relevant in that Foley was a promising young lock like Henderson. Van Der Merwe is better than Tuohy, so it's been him, Henderson and Stevenson to partner VDM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Fairfax Media understands Chris Noakes is set to sign for London Irish

Buer wrote: »
    I'm surprised it has taken this long for the Welsh to move for Anscombe, to be honest. It has been well known that he's Welsh qualified for a number of years now and that Wales have been struggling for a dominant outhalf. Anscombe might not be the best 10 in NZ but he'd be the best 10 in Wales.

"Anscombe is only 22 and, therefore, doesn't need to make rash decisions. Should he fail to make the All Blacks World Cup squad he will then weigh-up a possible switch to Wales, with an out-clause understood to be included in his recently-inked two-year extension with the Auckland NPC team."

Seems he's staying in NZ for the mo'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

More departures from Scotland.

Ruairidh Jackson off to Wasps.
    Ross Rennie staying at Bristol after his loan spell finishes shortly.

Locals here aren't happy with the Rennie situation at all but aware that he hasnt managed an injury free period in a while.

Edinburgh have offered a full time contract to an Academy flanker (plus a hooker and winger) with an apparent bucketload of potential. Though around these parts that usually means their schoolmates are championing their cause.

Wasps have signed Alapati Leiua. Great signing. Wasps are my favourite english club and I hate not seeing them in the Heineken Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wasps have signed Alapati Leiua. Great signing. Wasps are my favourite english club and I hate not seeing them in the Heineken Cup.

They have a shot this year. If they stay in 7th they'll have a playoff against what looks like Stade Francais, so that would be interesting. I like both clubs.

Agree. He chose Samoa over NZ and I respect the decision. He was born in Samoa in fairness ;). He was being lined up for the AB squad last year, and I have been very impressed with his ability to play midfield in addition to wing. Should do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Another opportunity missed for Munster to sign a quality centre.. This guy is lighting it up at Super XV at the mo.. Honestly, not sure there is a better 12 in the SH who would be willing to go north in a world cup year.. Between himself n Reagan King, Munster could have nailed down a quality midfield for next year without breaking the bank

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Agree. He chose Samoa over NZ and I respect the decision. He was born in Samoa in fairness ;). He was being lined up for the AB squad last year, and I have been very impressed with his ability to play midfield in addition to wing. Should do well.

Assuming he can play 13: Where the hell are Leinster with all these signings?! Hopefully they have someone lined up

Assuming he can play 13: Where the hell are Leinster with all these signings?! Hopefully they have someone lined up

Can Leinster offer as much as an English club these days for a NIQ player??

Despite the fact they have a free pass to play in the SXV, even if AB ineligible, once they declare for a Pacific Team these players are always rapidly offered lucrative contracts in the NH, that NZ wouldn't attempt to match (given they can no longer represent NZ). Hence au revoir Lam, Leiua, Tikoirotuma etc at the end of this season.

They might have both been looking at him. My guess is, and I'm pretty confident about it, that he was pretty set to play in London. He chose Samoa over New Zealand because he wanted to be close to his brother, and guess where his brother plays his club rugby = London.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Can Leinster offer as much as an English club these days for a NIQ player??

Maybe not but Kirchner is the only NIQ of any note at Leinster and even he probably isn't on much, Gopperth was playing championship rugby last season and Goodman, Roux are probably on peanuts. There should be cash there.
    They might have both been looking at him. My guess is, and I'm pretty confident about it, that he was pretty set to play in London. He chose Samoa over New Zealand because he wanted to be close to his brother, and guess where his brother plays his club rugby = London.

Yeah that's fair enough I suppose, Im just getting the fear that anyone even half-decent is already gone for next season (with it being a World Cup year we were never likely to get anyone that good anyway).

With no signings we're in trouble; Macken seems to be getting more of a look in at wing, Fitzgerald is perennially injured, they don't seem to fancy Kirchner there and that makes McFadden the last man standing... even in the academy COS is just OK and Farrell is still way too young

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Ya, your right.. I didn't know he had family in London.. Would have loved to have seen him in munster all the same.. King went back to Scarlets for a pitance though and surely a munster offer would have tempted him.. Wee bit underpowered but he can unlock defenses.. Clever player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Maybe not but Kirchner is the only NIQ of any note at Leinster and even he probably isn't on much, Gopperth was playing championship rugby last season and Goodman, Roux are probably on peanuts. There should be cash there.

Yeah that's fair enough I suppose, Im just getting the fear that anyone even half-decent is already gone for next season (with it being a World Cup year we were never likely to get anyone that good anyway).

With no signings we're in trouble; Macken seems to be getting more of a look in at wing, Fitzgerald is perennially injured, they don't seem to fancy Kirchner there and that makes McFadden the last man standing... even in the academy COS is just OK and Farrell is still way too young

I really don't think we are going to see a big summer signing at Leinster or Munster to fill the midfields. MOC has made utterances that there are guys willing to come but the IRFU have his hands tied. Would imagine it is similar in Munster. I reckon any acquisitions will be indigenous, irish qualifed players or else second tier SH players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

FrannoFan wrote: »
    MOC has made utterances that there are guys willing to come but the IRFU have his hands tied.

lote-tuqiri-pulls-up-with-an-injury-630x450.jpg

Advertisement