Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

.ak wrote: »
    Ah that's disappointing. Thought he looked handy enough. Guess he just didn't enjoy it?

got very little chances, was very unfair on him i thought. He wasn't that bad when playing, payed very well against Lions at 15 in his only start. Not given a sniff otherwise.

Article in the Daily Telegraph Australia asked all NRL clubs about the possibility of signing Benji. Only side open to the idea were the Storm. All others turned him down apparently

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ulster's Sean Doyle is away to the Brumbies according to UAFC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »

He signed very recently with Ulster didn't he?

He signed very recently with Ulster didn't he?

Aye this season year if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Weird, Gilsenan would have been a very useful signing

• Advertisement

Well it hasn't been confirmed but seems to be accepted as happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

Weird..

Gilsenan wants the option to return to Leinster in the future, leaving for Ulster would have affected that.

Plus London is more attractive than Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

yuinc wrote: »
    Weird..

Gilsenan wants the option to return to Leinster in the future, leaving for Ulster would have affected that.

Plus London is more attractive than Belfast.

London may well be more attractive than Belfast, but Reading isn't ;)

And there is no problem with players moving between Ulster and other provinces, we've seen it numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Buer wrote: »
    I'm surprised it has taken this long for the Welsh to move for Anscombe, to be honest. It has been well known that he's Welsh qualified for a number of years now and that Wales have been struggling for a dominant outhalf. Anscombe might not be the best 10 in NZ but he'd be the best 10 in Wales.

It's a bit off topic, but moving HP to 14 in place of Cuthbert, and sticking GA at 15 might be a better use of his skills. Still hasn't actually confirmed a move yet, of course, only we know (old news really) that Wales are interested. He turned them down 2 years ago when the Blues delisted him and chose the Chiefs instead, but maybe this time he'll be persuaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It's a bit off topic, but moving HP to 14 in place of Cuthbert, and sticking GA at 15 might be a better use of his skills. Still hasn't actually confirmed a move yet, of course, only we know (old news really) that Wales are interested. He turned them down 2 years ago when the Blues delisted him and chose the Chiefs instead, but maybe this time he'll be persuaded.

Hp is off to Toulon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Confirmed. Benji Marshall leaving Union to return to NRL. Mutual agreement with the Blues to end his contract
    I never understood the playing him 10, pity I think he could have been a class fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I'm surprised it has taken this long for the Welsh to move for Anscombe, to be honest. It has been well known that he's Welsh qualified for a number of years now and that Wales have been struggling for a dominant outhalf. Anscombe might not be the best 10 in NZ but he'd be the best 10 in Wales.

Would be amazed if he was the best 10 in Wales. Then again Wales isn't exactly blessed at 10.

I would say he is 7th best in NZ, and that's guesswork as he's played most of his recent rugby at 15.

Re Benji, it's for the best. If he isn't willing to learn the game in a dev side, he may as well give up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A year or two and Patchell will be starting imo. Patchell is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

James Hook is apparently off to Japan. Where does that leave his World Cup hopes?

From a supporter's pov it's sad to see these good players go to a league that we can't watch!

I think Shane Williams went to feel tall.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Has looked very promising in a very often rubbish Cardiff side and almost single-handedly won them games on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Owen Williams with Leicster looks the business as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Sam Davies for the Ospreys is another young Welsh outhalf on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ye agreed with this, I think the WC may come a year too soon to be the standout OH, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the match day Lion's squad for NZ

hahashake wrote: »
    Would be amazed if he was the best 10 in Wales. Then again Wales isn't exactly blessed at 10.

I would say he is 7th best in NZ, and that's guesswork as he's played most of his recent rugby at 15.

Re Benji, it's for the best. If he isn't willing to learn the game in a dev side, he may as well give up now.
    He was willing, he said he felt he should play club rugby for rest of season, then ITM

astonaidan wrote: »
    He was willing, he said he felt he should play club rugby for rest of season, then ITM

Not sure how he was willing when being dropped to dev side was the catalyst for him leaving. I believe you were talking about him saying he should have played that prior to the Blues but that was impossible as his last game for the Tigers was in the middle of the ITM season.

• Advertisement

hahashake wrote: »
    Not sure how he was willing when being dropped to dev side was the catalyst for him leaving. I believe you were talking about him saying he should have played that prior to the Blues but that was impossible as his last game for the Tigers was in the middle of the ITM season.
    Are you sure, I thought it was he said to Kirwan he should drop to club till end of season or just go back to what he knows in league :confused:

astonaidan wrote: »
    Are you sure, I thought it was he said to Kirwan he should drop to club till end of season or just go back to what he knows in league :confused:

Senior squad members will get dropped to the development side but as they don't play games every weekend they usually play some club rugby too.
    Kirwan told Marshall he was likely to be dropped out of the 23-man squad to face the Waratahs and would need to play club rugby and for the Blues development side. The other option was league.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9970982/Benji-Marshall-and-Blues-agree-release-deal

I assume this is the quote you are referring to and it was Kirwan telling Benji he had to drop to dev or go back to league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Must say I don't know much about any of those Welsh out halves mentioned but if they aren't good enough to be taking over from Priestland pretty soon then I wouldn't hold out much hope for them to be honest. Maybe I'm being harsh on Priestland but I just think he's absolutely hopeless, especially his kicking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Alot of Priestland's game can be good to excellent but he does struggle with consistency and I think confidence too. I would hope Wales have a sports psychologist as he looks like he'd really benefit from one.

His goal kicking isn't the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Why am I hearing Stuart Hogg is going to Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

errlloyd wrote: »
    Why am I hearing Stuart Hogg is going to Ulster?

Some are reporting it as a done deal. EDIT: I should say noone is actually reporting it. That is completely misleading, I just mean people I've heard from, not people with any actual decent reputation!

Would be brilliant for Ulster.

Although it solidifies my position on the Darren Cave to Leinster bandwagon.

The Hogg to Ulster story has been going around for a while now. I posted a photo in the Ulster thread of what looks like Hogg's agent (though I really dunno) meeting with Anscombe and Humphreys:
    Player rumour time.

Who is this:

whoisthis.jpg

Pictured recently having lunch with a certain Mr Anscombe and a certain Mr Humphries in a Belfast hotel.

Also the person who took this photo said that a certain Mr Hogg was also at said lunch. Is that him with his back to the camera?
    Hagz wrote: »
    My guess is it's Gordon Hood. Stuart Hogg's agent. The guy on the left.
    BfGS80RIgAInV7K.jpg

Also http://thefrontrowunion.com/2014/04/ulster-stuart-hogg-to-join-ulster/

"It’s been doing the round for a while this one, especially since Hogg was spotted at the Stormont Hotel last week with Humph and the Cowboy and judging from the amount of messages we got today it looks like it’s happening!"

Cowboy is Anscombe, for anyone unaware.

Still one to believe when you actually see a photo of him in an Ulster shirt signing a contract. :)

Ulster says YES to Hogg

My apologies, that reference was a bit boarish.

So one of the pretty reliable in-the-knows on UAFC just clarified this.

Hogg arranged a meeting with Ulster.

Ulster not interested.

Not happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Morf wrote: »
    Ulster says YES to Hogg

My apologies, that reference was a bit boarish.

That's a pig of a post...or is it boorish to point it out? :D:D:D:D

Advertisement