Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Section 1:66
    Section 2:61
    Section 3:56

Overall:60

Percentile: ~86%

Hopefully that can get me in. First timer here too.

Best of luck to everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

well done kapow!

40% more places in UCD and roughly the same percentile curve as last year (went looking in this thread for the 2010 one) should see you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Hands were shaking this morning when I checked the email, and to add to that my internet was RIDICULOUSLY slow for about 5 minutes, which added to my trauma, but I got a 58!!!
    I'm a first timer and going for veterinary, so hoping it's good enough. S1 66, S2 69, S3 49 which didn't surprise me as I have very little science background.
    I'm pretty thrilled, needless to say, and I've been told grad vet offers come out 'soon' so hoping for something in June..... So now another wait begins!
    Good luck to the rest of you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Well congrats to all , they are some serious scores being posted - well Done

Roll on August !!

looks like the percentile curve hasnt changed significantly from last year
    2010 GAMSAT Ire - a 61 puts you in the 90 %, a 59 puts you in the 85% and a 57 puts you in the 78%
    2011 GAMSAT Ire - a 61 puts you in the 90% , a 59 puts you in the 84% and a 57 puts you in the 75% percentile

With UCD increasing their places by 20 and the total number of CAO applicants falling, hopefully there wont be any major changes in the cut- offs

Well done everyone again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lnol

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while now, well done on your scores! Ive just decided to sit the GAMSAT next year, I hope this isn't too cheeky butting in but any advice or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

I'm thinking of sitting it in Sept in the UK and in Dublin in March but I was also thinking of re-sitting the leaving cert. Just to give myself the best chance. I have a 2.1 degree and am 23. I was just wondering though if any of you guys were thinking the same route and maybe changed your mind?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum... it's my first ever post!!

Thanks a million, L

• Advertisement

lnol wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while now, well done on your scores! Ive just decided to sit the GAMSAT next year, I hope this isn't too cheeky butting in but any advice or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

I'm thinking of sitting it in Sept in the UK and in Dublin in March but I was also thinking of re-sitting the leaving cert. Just to give myself the best chance. I have a 2.1 degree and am 23. I was just wondering though if any of you guys were thinking the same route and maybe changed your mind?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum... it's my first ever post!!

Thanks a million, L
    Depends what you're into......I wouldn't have had the patience, discipline or attention span to re-sit the leaving whereas studying for the gamsat was genuinely enjoyable for me because I hadn't done anything science related in 10 years (and my laughable 50 in section 3 is testament to that!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

Overall 56.

I'm disappointed. I don't think 56 will get me into UL even. I didn't think I did so bad on S3. But I did guess a lot of questions and didn't time it properly. My S1 score is disappointing too because I finished the section and thought I did well. Guess I need more practise. I'll definitely be doing it again in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lnol

Thanks for the reply jsuited! Nice enthusiasm for new subjects!

I was only thinking about it because if you're studying for all the sciences for the GAMSAT and if you have your degree. I thought it might make sense to sit all sciences and all business subjects (my degree) for the leaving, thought it might be easier than re-sitting the GAMSAT the following year.

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Section 1: 58
    Section 2: 76
    Section 3: 45
    Overall: 56

Happy, thought it was the worst exam of my life - it's a score I can work on! What was the cut-off for UL last year? I heard that the points are dropping this year...MAYBE we can scrape in with 56??? What do people think????

When are the CAO offers??? I suppose I'll have to start studying for UK before the offers are out anyway....

Thanks for the reply jsuited! Nice enthusiasm for new subjects!

I was only thinking about it because if you're studying for all the sciences for the GAMSAT and if you have your degree. I thought it might make sense to sit all sciences and all business subjects (my degree) for the leaving, thought it might be easier than re-sitting the GAMSAT the following year.

Thx

see i'm one of those people who thinks the leaving cert is a terrible system because it doesn't really test thinking ability and frankly it bored the eyeballs out of me....
    Studying for the gamsat is really challenging and interesting and tbh it was a new lease of life for me. in saying that, with my 61 I sincerely hope (read pray desperately) to never ever have to sit that bloody exam again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Scientist1 wrote: »

Happy, thought it was the worst exam of my life - it's a score I can work on! What was the cut-off for UL last year? I heard that the points are dropping this year...MAYBE we can scrape in with 56??? What do people think????

When are the CAO offers??? I suppose I'll have to start studying for UK before the offers are out anyway....
    paraguay99 wrote: »

Overall 56.

I'm disappointed. I don't think 56 will get me into UL even. I didn't think I did so bad on S3. But I did guess a lot of questions and didn't time it properly. My S1 score is disappointing too because I finished the section and thought I did well. Guess I need more practise. I'll definitely be doing it again in September.

Hey guys, I think 56 will get you into UL-the final cut off last year was 56.
    I'd be surprised if the points went above that wit UCD increasing their points.

Im still in disbelief. Woke up knowing something nice had happened. Though it was the lotto for a minute. Then I realised it was even better than the lotto! :D

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Last year's cut-off:
    Round One Offers:

RCSI: 63
    UCD: 60*
    UCC: 59*
    UL: 57

Taken from the CAO site http://www2.cao.ie/points/2010_RND1_L8_XYZ.HTM#dcd

Damn - we might miss it by 1 POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

I thought my productivity would return after finally receiving the score.. Nope, Im pretty sure Im off to the pub now :)
    First-time and got a 59, delighted...

Good thing Im non-EU and my acceptance/rejection isnt based on GAMSAT score alone. So dont worry fellow GAMSAT people, thats one more place free for you ;)

Last year's cut-off:
    Round One Offers:

Taken from the CAO site http://www2.cao.ie/points/2010_RND1_L8_XYZ.HTM#dcd

Damn - we might miss it by 1 POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know where I saw it, but I think the final "final" round had UL at 56.
    I could be wrong, but I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdun

wow, the last week I must have checked my e-mail at least a hundrend times, the waiting was killing me... Well thank f thats over

Congrats to everyone who nailed it, I have to say that was a seriously tough exam. "C'est un tas de conneries" to those of you who didn't (the French have some nice way of saying these things). The pressure and time factor was unreal, unlike any other exam I've sat- I'm getting nervous just thinking about it again :)

Some impressive scores out there (pollypigwash, 75 on S3!!!...that's unreal, sorry to have to break it to you, but chances are you are not human ).

The precentile curves do seem to be moving so slightly year to year ('09,' '10, '11 below in that order). Whats the story with UCD, how many new places, I guess this will push the scores down for all colleges.
    http://postimage.org/image/2n8vv0p9g/
    http://postimage.org/image/2n95s8s84/
    https://gamsat-ireland.acer.edu.au/results/normInfo.php?yr=2011

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdun

I dont know where I saw it, but I think the final "final" round had UL at 56.
    I could be wrong, but I think it was.

looking at cao scores, these were round 1 offers, 56 for UL sounds about rights for final round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

i think it was 56* for UL which means random selection of people on 56.. there is a chance but I'll spend June preparing for the gamsat exam in September anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

sdun wrote: »
    sorry to have to break it to you, but chances are you are not human

in fairness I'm not really right in the head at the best of times!

Chuffed to bits, need to start thinking about where to go now. The RCSI open day was awesome but its the only one I managed to fly home for.

I'd be interested to see what UCD is like too. Not sure how I feel about the PBL learning in UL, then again if ye can do the GAMSAT on your own I'm sure it'd be quite similar.

Ah the clock ticks down on my shortlived career as an engineer... delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

My girlfriend is in 1st year UL and there are a few in her class who got in last year on 56 .

To be honest, i think 56 should get you in with the increase in places and drop in applications - it might not be 0 round but definitely first round

Be interesting to know how many people are sitting on scores achieved in London 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

The RCSI open day was awesome but its the only one I managed to fly home for.

I'm pretty sure all the colleges will arrange a tour for you if you get in contact with admissions. Regrardless, the RCSI programme is outstanding. I have no regrets about picking it and (to my knowledge) neither does anyone in my class. If you, or anyone else thinking of RCSI, have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to anyswer them objectively.

Congrats to everyone on your scores, it's a pretty disgusting exam. If you thought the wait between the GAMSAT and your results was long, the time between now and starting Med school will feel like an eternity. Worth it though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 framagic

I'm thinking of sitting it in Sept in the UK and in Dublin in March but I was also thinking of re-sitting the leaving cert. Just to give myself the best chance. I have a 2.1 degree and am 23. L

If you're 23 then you may be able to apply to regular medicine as a mature student rather than resit the Leaving Cert. I know a guy who did this and he was also able to go straight to 2nd year, so if you did that you'd be finished in 5 years. You may even be able to start this September, which would have you finished at the same time as you would be if you were to do GAMSAT next year and get it first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hey all, sincerely hope everyone got what they wanted. 3rd time lucky with overall 65 for me. Polly 70 is truely an outstanding score, congrats! So any word on the cutoffs? Anyone else hoping for ucc?

Biologic wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure all the colleges will arrange a tour
    for you if you get in contact with admissions. Regrardless, the RCSI programme is outstanding. I have no regrets about picking it and (to my knowledge) neither does anyone in my class. If you, or anyone else thinking of RCSI, have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to anyswer them objectively.

Congrats to everyone on your scores, it's a pretty disgusting exam. If you thought the wait between the GAMSAT and your results was long, the time between now and starting Med school will feel like an eternity. Worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cmack

S1 - 60
    S2 - 70
    S3 - 59

Total - 62

The waiting period was truly torturous but my results made it worth it. No science background, got it 1st time and will most likely end up in UCD. I'm so pleased. Congrats to those who got what they wanted and commiserations to those who didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

got a 62, pretty happy, hope all goes to plan in August.

Did the exam on a whim in 2009 and got 55, but set my mind to getting this course last summer, got 60 in London 2010, more sure of getting a place now!

To anyone thinking of doing it I'd say just go for it. It's made out to be a horrible exam, but it is very achievable if you practice and prepare properly. If you study, practice exams, and keep cool on the day you will get a good result. The best practice is just to sit the London exam, even if you only get a month of study done beforehand, it's worth it. Gamsat is expensive, but you might do better than you think (i did) and it will leave you under no illusions about the timing of the exam, the standard of the science section, your abilities in section 2, etc. If you really want the course money shouldnt stop you.

I recommend getting Organic Chemistry for dummies first, also the physics and biology books are good. 1st year biology college notes are handy too. If you want to cover all bases do the Leaving Cert, but i think enough practice of the Gamsat / Mcat / HPAT exams will help your timing, and the science is something you just need to sit down and learn, and give yourself enough time to do it (I left it till 2 months before Gamsat to even start Physics, which is too late). I would say the Gamsat is a more straightforward route than repeating your Leaving Cert (no interviews, etc), but I guess it doesnt hurt to do both....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 foleyfresh

S1 - 67
    S2 - 58
    S3 - 65

Overall - 64

Delighted! Hopefully see some of you in UCD this September if I can just organise a loan for myself now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

framagic wrote: »
    If you're 23 then you may be able to apply to regular medicine as a mature student rather than resit the Leaving Cert. I know a guy who did this and he was also able to go straight to 2nd year, so if you did that you'd be finished in 5 years. You may even be able to start this September, which would have you finished at the same time as you would be if you were to do GAMSAT next year and get it first time.

I know from applying as a mature student to RCSI that they required me to have sat the HPAT in the last two years. A good score and a committed letter with references should get you an interview providing you have matriclated to the University's standards as normal. I have an interview on June 8th but I'm not bothering now.

As far as sitting the leaving certificate goes, to be eligible you need to get 480 points plus and matriculate in the same year (that means doing Irish English, Maths etc) quite a task if you are doing it on your own, I did the HPAT last year with my old leaving cert and came well short.

A couple of months practise at the GAMSAT would be easier. I had no Biology before, did Chemistry and Physics for leaving in fairness many moons ago but managed quite well in the end. To be honest the exam is far more about logicing stuff out, I didn't honestly have a massive recall of information going into it, its more about understanding the concepts and not getting dragged down in the detail.

Others are right the best thing to do would be to sit the GAMSAT in London in September, if you don't get a good score it'll help a lot towards getting a better one in March.

Also I thoroughly recommend doing an essay writing course, the one I did with Des O'Neill proved priceless in the end. There's no substitute for that bit of practise even if it is torture. As an engneer I always hated essays right back through school, but the advice and marking I got helped no end. I thought I fupped it up on the day of the examI still did well and that was of the back of the practise and structure etc I got from the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gubernaculum

Congrats guys :D Excellent scores! The sick thing about the GAMSAT is you still get the Fear long after it's over and end up sneaking back to these threads to re-live the rollercoaster vicariously. Just think.. this time next year you could be sitting, happily procrastinating on this thread with an ice lolly NOT reading about adverse drug reactions with exams 3 days away. Ahem. Medicine is brilliant, never regretted the jump but I'd rest up for the next few months and enjoy yourself. Free time is going to be the one luxury you'll miss.

etymon (www.doc2be.ie) has been giving a great account of life in GEP thus far and another classmate has been writing in the irish medical news, both well worth a read if you're unsure of what to expect.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

*glues self back to desk*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Got a score of 60 overall....

SI=63
    SII=65
    SIII=56

Can't believe my fluffy essays on assertive action and friendship scored higher than my science paper considering i've a PhD in science... My essays were bs and I spent relatively little time preparing for SII compared to SIII

I'm pretty sure the course in UL is not for me so I'm borderline for UCC and UCD based on last years cut offs. Had my heart set on RCSI unfortunately but as last years cut off was 63 I don't think I stand a chance

So it'll be hit and miss whether I get a place in UCD or UCC

Well done to all of us, it's a horribly stressful exam to prepare for and sit, here's hoping the cut offs drop this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Nice to see that the cao has updated its 'my application' page with my GAMSAT scores already. I just need them to indicate that they have received my supporting documentation and then I can relax....

• Advertisement

drspock wrote: »
    Hey all, sincerely hope everyone got what they wanted. 3rd time lucky with overall 65 for me. Polly 70 is truely an outstanding score, congrats! So any word on the cutoffs? Anyone else hoping for ucc?

Wow, well done on the 65, thats a brilliant score! Im torn between UCD & UCC......

Advertisement