Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

amazing scores on here.......would be interested to see the % of posters on here who are successful getting the gamsat vs the general populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

holy feck! I just woke up, serious jingle jangles I can barely type with excitement.................

checking..........

S1 - 64
    S2 - 67
    S3 - 75
    Overall - 70

wtf.... didnt see that coming. nice one! that was my first time doing it.

feck work this future doc is going on the mash!!!!!

That is an unbelievable score, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Thanks hurdy! Hope u got on well? I reckon you should come down to UCC for the crack!

Seems lots of folks here hit the money shot! Well done done all.

Wow, well done on the 65, thats a brilliant score! Im torn between UCD & UCC......

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

jtsuited wrote: »
    amazing scores on here.......would be interested to see the % of posters on here who are successful getting the gamsat vs the general populace.

would be very interesting. I would have seriously struggled without the tips I picked up here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Some amazing scores on here.

A number of people on boards are a testiment to how far hard work and dedication goes in the GAMSAT, offering hope to those that didn't get it this time.

I'll see a few of you in UCD in september, and regardless of where you end up you'll be hitting the ground runnning - enjoy the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Finally I can stop the constant checking of emails.
    Scored 63, 58, 75 for an overall score of 68, delighted.

first timer here. I had a strong science background, but had no physics which was a challenge, plus I've been out of college for 8 years. While my science score is great, i was probably most pleased with my section 1 score for the simple reason that I felt I had a shocker. I got nowhere near to finishing and was half asleep.

Section 2 was always gonna be my achilles heal. I only managed to scrape together my first essay 2 weeks before the exam after downloading the Griffith's guide.

Anyway, congratulations to everyone on the scores. Easily the most demanding exam I have ever sat. And I can honestly say that I was humbled by the whole experience. Roll on September :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Hey Everyone!

Here are the cut-offs for 2010 if anyones interested

Round Zero (5th Aug 2010)
    UCC 60*
    UCD 61*
    UL 57*
    RCSI 64

Round One (23rd Aug 2010)
    UCC 59*
    UCD 60*
    UL 57
    RCSI 63

Round Two (2nd Sep 2010)
    UCC 59*
    UCD 60*
    UL 56*
    RCSI 63

* = not everyone with this score was offered a place, places offered at this score using random selection

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Did anyone else hear at the RCSI open day that last year they admitted one person on a GAMSAT score of 61? Did I imagine that with the delirium of the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

sparrow3 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is in 1st year UL and there are a few in her class who got in last year on 56 .

To be honest, i think 56 should get you in with the increase in places and drop in applications - it might not be 0 round but definitely first round

Be interesting to know how many people are sitting on scores achieved in London 2010.

Really hope that's the case, don't have the best feeling though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 needzmanualz

Does anyone know what the GAMSAT cut off is in any of the colleges for non-eu applicants?? i realise theres an interview stage too but just wondering about the GAMSAT.
    Any info would be great , thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

Managed to get 58 with no study a week after my finals. Hadn't even realised today was the results date till I checked th'oul emails. w.t.f!! was all that I could muster.
    Also I spoke to a haematology consultant (doing my thesis in limerick regional) and she said the UL students are generally better than undergrads. And she refuses to teach cork med students because of their extreme lack of knowledge... interesting for all you skeptics on UL. Believe me when I say this woman knows her **** and takes no ****, she seems to only acknowledge me because I remind her of her son... In conclusion: WIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

Hi guys, just a quick kinda irrelevant question regarding applying for Grad entry medicine in Ireland. Do they just look at your degree and gamsat score or do they also look at A levels/leaving certificate? In other words, if you did badly at school but got 2.1 in degree, is that enough or not? And also, do they are about how high or how low your 2.1 is? Thanks!

Oh, and well done everybody. That gamsat had me suicidal half way through, I mean the circulatory system of a shnake?
    So whos with me hoping to get UL?....Go on "THATS LIMERICK CITAAY!"

Forget about school man, your 2.1 will see you through

Hi guys, just a quick kinda irrelevant question regarding applying for Grad entry medicine in Ireland. Do they just look at your degree and gamsat score or do they also look at A levels/leaving certificate?

Just degree and Gamsat

In other words, if you did badly at school but got 2.1 in degree, is that enough or not?

Yep that's enough
    And also, do they are about how high or how low your 2.1 is? Thanks!

Nope any 2.1 will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gubernaculum

Yillan wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear at the RCSI open day that last year they admitted one person on a GAMSAT score of 61? Did I imagine that with the delirium of the day?

Hmm... Pretty sure 2 people got in on 63 (they'd started elsewhere and switched a few days in when they got the offer) and that was that. Don't know either of those things for def but that's what I think happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

drspock wrote: »
    Thanks hurdy! Hope u got on well? I reckon you should come down to UCC for the crack!

Seems lots of folks here hit the money shot! Well done done all.

Yeah got 61, delighted! Just relieved that my GAMSAT trials are finally over. Its been a long road! :) So whats the motivation behind your choice of UCC when you have your pick of the bunch? Know something worth sharing? :D
    Have to say, I got a really good impression of the UCC & the people when I was down there. Really am torn between UCC & UCD. Order of choices all up in a fine oul' heap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hey hurdy,

Well I actually did a fairly objective analysis between going to rcsi and ucc. I'm fortunate to have 2 family members wrapping up final med down there in UCC, who got me behind the scenes in the Brookfield centre. Rcsi is great but personally I much prefer the facilities in ucc, theyre truely excellent. In comparison with the royal college I was more impressed by UCC. Plus accommodation would be cheaper and that part of the country is way better for outdoor stuff. Lots of positives going in favour of UCC.

Well done on the result hurdy, you deserved ever bit of it for persisting with the ordeal that is the GAMSAT...:D

Yeah got 61, delighted! Just relieved that my GAMSAT trials are finally over. Its been a long road! :) So whats the motivation behind your choice of UCC when you have your pick of the bunch? Know something worth sharing? :D
    Have to say, I got a really good impression of the UCC & the people when I was down there. Really am torn between UCC & UCD. Order of choices all up in a fine oul' heap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sallyann55

Depends what you're into......I wouldn't have had the patience, discipline or attention span to re-sit the leaving whereas studying for the gamsat was genuinely enjoyable for me because I hadn't done anything science related in 10 years (and my laughable 50 in section 3 is testament to that!).

hi there,
    61 buddy, i could nt believe my eyes either when i realised i got 61 too,...i m still shaking! i hope that ll be enuf for ucd? but def shud get into UL?

lnol wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for a while now, well done on your scores! Ive just decided to sit the GAMSAT next year, I hope this isn't too cheeky butting in but any advice or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

I'm thinking of sitting it in Sept in the UK and in Dublin in March but I was also thinking of re-sitting the leaving cert. Just to give myself the best chance. I have a 2.1 degree and am 23. I was just wondering though if any of you guys were thinking the same route and maybe changed your mind?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum... it's my first ever post!!

Thanks a million, L

Hi there,

I know exactly how u feel, because i was in exactly the same situation this time last year. i graduated from ucd with a 2.1 in commerce and then immediately enrolled in st laurences (a repeat school for the LC/ study boot camp). then in august i went to london and did the three wkend gradmed course, other than that did not pick up book as was workin full time and headin out most nites... anyhow then i started school in sept n mid sept did gamsat in london..
    school sucked...wait i cant find any words to describe how crappy it was, i felt like a kid, i was nearly the same age as the teachers and was gettin in trouble for not havin homework done/ sleeping in/not having the right uniform....was hell on earth (sorry to scare u, but if u read there s light at the end of the tunnel!)
    ok so then forgot all about gamsat and was trundelling misreably away in school (n yes i m a drama queen!) so then in november got my results and was pleasantly suprised to find i got 55...sticked at school for a bit but my motivation was down the drain as i felt i could work on the gamsat for march... (dont let anyone tell u u can study for both, its impossible, even destructive because the exams are poles apart lc= learn off a book, gamsat= thinking on your feet)
    so anyways u know where this is going,...i dropped at of school at xmas, n started tudying for the the gamsat in jan...i worked part time n studied hard 4 days a week for the three months and i think it paid off cause i got my results yday and got 61
    so i hope that helps with ur decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sallyann55 wrote: »
    hi there,
    61 buddy, i could nt believe my eyes either when i realised i got 61 too,...i m still shaking! i hope that ll be enuf for ucd? but def shud get into UL?

I've been working this out with my gambling mind and here's what I'm thinking regarding UCD and a score of 61....

1. This year 61 gives you a 90th percentile, the same as last year.
    2. Number of CAO applications is less this year.
    3. The number of places in UCD has gone up by 40% (55-77) for Irish/EU applicants.

These 3 things make it highly, highly, highly unlikely that 61 would not get us into UCD.
    The only hypothetical situation I can come up with where the score required goes up is that there is a huge jump in the amount of people applying to UCD compared to last year (who are specifically in the 90th+ percentile)......I can't even come up with why such an event would happen in any significant way (enough to effect the cutoff).

If such an event does happen, it would be almost impossible to offset the effect on the cutoff that a 40% increase in places available has.

Stats nerds/gamblers feel free to correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

I've been working this out with my gambling mind and here's what I'm thinking regarding UCD and a score of 61....

3. The number of places in UCD has gone up by 40% (55-77) for Irish/EU applicants.

These 3 things make it highly, highly, highly unlikely that 61 would not get us into UCD.
    The only hypothetical situation I can come up with where the score required goes up is that there is a huge jump in the amount of people applying to UCD compared to last year (who are specifically in the 90th+ percentile)......I can't even come up with why such an event would happen in any significant way (enough to effect the cutoff).

If such an event does happen, it would be almost impossible to offset the effect on the cutoff that a 40% increase in places available has.

I wonder does the fact that CAO applications are down mean that we don't need to worry about a lot of people with great UK gamsat scores applying this year? Hope so!

Also, does anyone know if UL plans to increase its number of places this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

Thanks for the responses to my previous question. Is there a reason for there being less med applicants this year? Also on a side note, anyone on here from the UK and applying to Ireland?

thanks a mill for that, so at least we can kinda have a bit of peace of mind till august;)

del85 wrote: »
    From UCD site:

"UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science commenced a Graduate Entry medicine programme in September 2008 with funding from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) for Irish/EU students. It is anticipated that there will be 77 places available in 2011."

My two cents:

~680 applicants this year.

~202 places this year (RCSI=30 + UCD=77 + UL=70 + UCC=25).

This means 478 people don't get an offer.

Consequently, I'm GUESSING (emphasise the guess part) that anyone in the 70th/71st percentile or above should get a place somewhere.

In terms of Dublin...

30+77= ~107 Dublin places

573/680= 0.84

So again I'm guessing that the cut-off for Dublin might possibly be somewhere around the 84th percentile.

There's loads of stuff I'm not taking into account, but the best guesstimation I can come up with....

UCD, 59* this year

on my cao application i put down rcsi, ul, ucd and finally ucc. i got 61, so i know my first choice of rcsi is gone, but now i m torn between ul and ucd. i know i may not even get ucd, but i m thinking now maybe i should but ucd second instead of ul?? does anyone have any notion of which course/ college seems better?(i know thats a very broad question, but any info on either of them would help, and be greatly appreciated)... also has anyone got a notion can i even change my preferences on my cao at this point??

thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

sallyann55 wrote: »
    on my cao application i put down rcsi, ul, ucd and finally ucc. i got 61, so i know my first choice of rcsi is gone, but now i m torn between ul and ucd. i know i may not even get ucd, but i m thinking now maybe i should but ucd second instead of ul?? does anyone have any notion of which course/ college seems better?(i know thats a very broad question, but any info on either of them would help, and be greatly appreciated)... also has anyone got a notion can i even change my preferences on my cao at this point??

thanks,

You can change your preference if you want, they cutoff for final decisions is in June or July (check CAO site). UCD and UL are two very different courses so it's worth doing some research on that choice. UL is mainly problem based learning, whereas UCD is more didactic. If you have the time, I'm sure both colleges would show you around and give you a prospecus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Does anyone know how many applicants there were last yr compared to 680 this yr?

My brother is a statistician/actuary and he built me a stats model using excel and the percentile curves for this yr vs last year and some other assumptions to do with standard deviations etc that I don't understand

His cut off predictions for 2011 are:

RCSI 62
    UCD 58-59
    UCC 58-59
    UL 56

This is assuming that 2010 had the same number of applicants as 2011

I hope he's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billythebonsai

hello everyone
    i got 54 and i was just wondering do you think i might have a chance at limerick. i spoke to them and they said the cut off last yr was 55 and that this yr there are going to be 90 places instead of 75 that there were last yr. im just being way too hopeful i know.!

• Advertisement

mystery1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many applicants there were last yr compared to 680 this yr?

My brother is a statistician/actuary and he built me a stats model using excel and the percentile curves for this yr vs last year and some other assumptions to do with standard deviations etc that I don't understand

His cut off predictions for 2011 are:

RCSI 62
    UCD 58-59
    UCC 58-59
    UL 56

This is assuming that 2010 had the same number of applicants as 2011

I hope he's right!

That would be great! Did he take into account the people who will be applying with a UK score?

There were ~760 applicants last year according to someone in this thread.

Advertisement