Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Got 57 but still delighted. Fingers Xd

Congrats all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

jtsuited wrote: »
    surely UCD with a 61???
    surely???

Ha ha I said "surely UCD wont go up in points" last year. And they shot up by 2. So I'm hoping..... With the new places this september and roughly the same (or less) # of applicants, you wouldn't be insane for thinking UCD would be possible with 61? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Well done everyone! Good luck trying to sleep tonight!

Section 1: 68

Section 2: 71

Section 3: 44

57 overall

Knew my performance on section 3 wasn't brilliant this time round....but I'm sitting on a 60 from last September so it's all good!

Has anyone checked out the bell-curve yet? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

when do the offers come out???
    never thought i'd have a hope so I never even contemplated having a chance at an offer.

when do the offers come out???
    never thought i'd have a hope so I never even contemplated having a chance at an offer.

Last year round zero offers came out via email on Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Surprise surprise, the CAO website doesnt mention a date for this year all it says is "In early August there may be an issue of offers of places
    which go to certain categories of applicant who are not competing with those awaiting 2011 examination results or who are assessed on other criteria, i.e. graduate entry medicine applicants..."

Could be any date this year from 1st-5th August as they are all weekdays.... i.e BLEEDIN' AGES AWAY!!!

• Advertisement

"
    mystery1 wrote: »
    Yes, for 2010 the GAMSAT cut off points as far as I know were

RCSI - 63
    UCD - 60
    UCC - 59 or 60 (not sure which)
    UL - 56"

Knew this post was lurking in the thread somewhere.... Hope the cut-offs stay the same this year! :)

I'm just in bloody shock. I only decided at christmas to give it a shpin and I was hilariously clueless even about LC science (hence the 50 in section 3 lol!!!).

Had the most awful exam I could have imagined (i'm not joking - i posted earlier in the thread about it)...........Woke the missus up with an almighty roar which must have woke the whole apartment building too.

61 on my first go.......please please please let me not have to do it again (the last 8 weeks has been something i'll never bloody forget!).

I'm just in bloody shock. I only decided at christmas to give it a shpin and I was hilariously clueless even about LC science (hence the 50 in section 3 lol!!!).

Had the most awful exam I could have imagined (i'm not joking - i posted earlier in the thread about it)...........Woke the missus up with an almighty roar which must have woke the whole apartment building too.

61 on my first go.......please please please let me not have to do it again (the last 8 weeks has been something i'll never bloody forget!).

I dont think ill ever recover from the GAMSAT shell-shock. Instant panic attacks at the whisper of an MCQ.......
    Think we all should form a GAMSAT survivors support group. :)

Well done on your score, Im so happy for anyone who does well in that DISGUSTINGLY HARD exam! I keep having to re-check my score in case I'm hallucinating from lack of sleep!

I dont think ill ever recover from the GAMSAT shell-shock. Instant panic attacks at the whisper of an MCQ.......
    Think we all should form a GAMSAT survivors support group. :)

Well done on your score, Im so happy for anyone who does well in that DISGUSTINGLY HARD exam! I keep having to re-check my score in case I'm hallucinating from lack of sleep!

back at ya! Fair play fellow 61 buddy!

Support group definitely needed!!:D

del85 wrote: »
    Well done everyone! Good luck trying to sleep tonight!

Section 1: 68

Section 2: 71

Section 3: 44

57 overall

Knew my performance on section 3 wasn't brilliant this time round....but I'm sitting on a 60 from last September so it's all good!

Has anyone checked out the bell-curve yet? Thoughts?

Thoughts on the bell-curve.... Could they represent the information any more cyptically if they tried? I need "Bell Curves" for Dummies....

Its so hard to know with these graphs. I get the impression from it that the cut-offs might be slightly higher this year if all scores shown were being used for entry into Irish GEM. But that is almost definately not the case. Our crafty neighbours trying to tap into "the luck of the Irish" and all that jazz.... Not to forget candidates sitting on scores from previous years.....
    Anyone care to speculate??

• Advertisement

er, ironically enough i think i'm misinterpreting the percentile graph......by my reading my score of 61 puts me in the 90% percentile??? please tell me this is true!!

er, ironically enough i think i'm misinterpreting the percentile graph......by my reading my score of 61 puts me in the 90% percentile??? please tell me this is true!!

Either you're right or we're both gone blind from the trauma.....

Yep you're right. That should put UCD within reach, considering this year's the extra places. Fair play!

if that's the case, the gamsat scores must be very low this year..

Yep you're right. That should put UCD within reach, considering this year's the extra places. Fair play!

I reeaaaaallllly hope you're right!

Thoughts on the bell-curve.... Could they represent the information any more cyptically if they tried? I need "Bell Curves" for Dummies....

Its so hard to know with these graphs. I get the impression from it that the cut-offs might be slightly higher this year if all scores shown were being used for entry into Irish GEM. But that is almost definately not the case. Our crafty neighbours trying to tap into "the luck of the Irish" and all that jazz.... Not to forget candidates sitting on scores from previous years.....
    Anyone care to speculate??

Nothin like a bit of late night statistical analysis!

I was confused as soon as I looked at it. It says at the top:

a GAMSAT Overall Score of 60 is equal to a percentile rank of approximately 80. This means that you scored equal to or higher than 80% of the candidates who took GAMSAT2011.

But when you look at the actual chart, a score of 60 is actually more like the 86th/87th percentile...

percentiles11.gif

Feckin massive difference! I don't know what to believe!

The graph itself is fairly similar to last year's one though. Fingers crossed that means the points will either stay static, or with all the extra places, they may even....

...nah I can't say it:pac:

Nothin like a bit of late night statistical analysis eh!

I was confused as soon as I looked at it. It says at the top:

For example; a GAMSAT Overall Score of 60 is equal to a percentile rank of approximately 80. This means that you scored equal to or higher than 80% of the candidates who took GAMSAT2011.

But when you look at the actual chart, a score of 60 is actually more like the 86th/87th percentile...

percentiles11.gif

Feckin massive difference!

The graph itself is fairly similar to last year's one though. Fingers crossed that means the points will either stay static, or they may even....

...nah I can't say it:pac:

Go on, you know we all want to say it...... :P

Im just glad bell curves weren't on the bloody exam otherwise id have been screwed!

well with that massive gap (between their hypothetical 60=80 and the actual figure), coupled with the fact that a first time chancer like me can luckbox into the 90th percentile, I'm gonna predict that the cutoffs won't go up.

well with that massive gap (between their hypothetical 60=80 and the actual figure), coupled with the fact that a first time chancer like me can luckbox into the 90th percentile, I'm gonna predict that the cutoffs won't go up.

Can I hold you to that please? :pac:

You're actually in the 92nd percentile thingy if you look at it closely enough. Yee haa!

Go on, you know we all want to say it...... :P

Im just glad bell curves weren't on the bloody exam otherwise id have been screwed!

I'm rummaging for a ruler at half two in the morning so I can judge what percentile I'm in. This can't be healthy!

Hurry up August....

• Advertisement

Can I hold you to that please? :pac:

You're actually in the 92nd percentile thingy if you look at it closely enough. Yee haa!

no i thought that too but it seems like the scores written actually correspond to the little lines as opposed to the big ones (jaysus i'll be great with medical mumbo jumbo with this type of grammar!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

Chance that UL will drop to 56?..Anyone?

First-timer here too, was working full time so only had a weeks proper study.Kinda nervous about my chances now.

S1: 66
    S2: 68
    S3: 45
    Total 56

Sorcha88 wrote: »
    Chance that UL will drop to 56?..Anyone?

Last year the final round score for Limerick was 56* (I think). Even if it doesnt drop, you're still in with a shout.

no i thought that too but it seems like the scores written actually correspond to the little lines as opposed to the big ones (jaysus i'll be great with medical mumbo jumbo with this type of grammar!!).

Ha ha, disturbing thing is I understand the grammar....

No-one is awake to jump around the room shrieking with me like a 5 year old high on skittles. Alas. Shud prob go to sleep. Work is gonna be fun tomorrow. Standard of work/interest in current job is declining as we speak. ha ha.

Well done again kids! :D

I'm up in 4 hours for work. a feckin lecture I have to give. it's gonna be shambolic to say the least!!!

I'm up in 4 hours for work. a feckin lecture I have to give. it's gonna be shambolic to say the least!!!

You wont be doing it for much longer! :)
    Bring on August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

Last year the final round score for Limerick was 56* (I think). Even if it doesnt drop, you're still in with a shout.

Phew, I'd feel more comfortable with an extra mark or so but what can you do.

Congrats everyone on great scores!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

holy feck! I just woke up, serious jingle jangles I can barely type with excitement.................

checking..........

S1 - 64
    S2 - 67
    S3 - 75
    Overall - 70

wtf.... didnt see that coming. nice one! that was my first time doing it.

feck work this future doc is going on the mash!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭line_of_fire

well done to all ya guys! got 55 kinda disappointed but it was my first time doing it. not sure if i can handle thoughts of actually sitting it again!

• Advertisement

holy feck! I just woke up, serious jingle jangles I can barely type with excitement.................

checking..........

S1 - 64
    S2 - 67
    S3 - 75
    Overall - 70

wtf.... didnt see that coming. nice one! that was my first time doing it.

feck work this future doc is going on the mash!!!!!
    wow...70 is an insane score.....looking at the graph you're in the 99 percentile.....fair play!!

Advertisement