Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Anyone know if these are additional places or at the expense of the undergrads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

I doubt that the increase in GEM students would be at the expense of the undergrads, but i guess you never know. A quick email to UCD to ask if the # of undergrad places will remain constant for sept 2011 would answer that query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Heya,
    sorry only spotted that post just now. thanks, but got lucky with 87 on the essay ın UK, had read loads about the theme the week before. Poxy! Wet myself laughing when I saw that score, especıally because I got stung bıg tıme on my fırst sıttıng.

But then I was thınkıng that an essay ıs so subjectıve, mıght have got lucky wıth the marker haha, or ınadvertantly dropped the flattery bomb. I always found ın college that lecturers wıth bıg egos marked hıghly when saıd ego ıs massaged, even ındırectly........:D

So my overall was only 62 which could have been much better if the science went a little better. Anyway wıll be v. ınterestıng to see how the results pan out thıs march. Where you hopıng to do GEM???
    sparrow3 wrote: »
    wow, 87 on section 2 - congrats,

Drspock - what was your overall score with such a high section 2

Thats really ınterestıng! It seems lıke London 2010 was the magıc number for all ınvolved!!!! Nıce one.......
    sparrow3 wrote: »
    First time i sat GAMSAT was in Sept 2009 in London and got 52 - was pretty demoralised but determined to do medicine. Got 55 the second time in Dublin and 61 in London 2010 - section 1 was always my achilleus heal

Please God i have enough to get in - the thought of sitting the GAMSAT again makes my left eye twitch !!

A lot of people seem to have better luck sitting the GAMSAT over in England. Sat the exam 5 times and my scores have yo-yo'd with no real pattern or reasonable explanation. Sat the London "sardine tin" GAMSAT in 2009 yawning my head off cos i didnt sleep well the night before (which got sympathy looks and delighted looks from my fellow candidates as they had me down as a gonner straightaway) and got my best score so far. This is the last year its valid aswell so hope a 59 is good enough to get an offer.......
    Id recommend going to England to anyone who will be sitting the exam in the future.
    Think it must be the luck of the Irish. :D

• Advertisement

Haha theres definately a bit of a "luck of the Irish" thing going on alright over in the UK hahaha. Wouldn't be surprised if I get a dismal score this March in comparision! It being Ireland and Murphys Law and all that.

Feck! When I think of it, should have sat it in Australia this March to give myself some chance against........... THE BLINK........:eek: (foreboding sound)

A lot of people seem to have better luck sitting the GAMSAT over in England. Sat the exam 5 times and my scores have yo-yo'd with no real pattern or reasonable explanation. Sat the London "sardine tin" GAMSAT in 2009 yawning my head off cos i didnt sleep well the night before (which got sympathy looks and delighted looks from my fellow candidates as they had me down as a gonner straightaway) and got my best score so far. This is the last year its valid aswell so hope a 59 is good enough to get an offer.......
    Id recommend going to England to anyone who will be sitting the exam in the future.
    Think it must be the luck of the Irish. :D

drspock wrote: »
    Haha theres definately a bit of a "luck of the Irish" thing going on alright over in the UK hahaha. Wouldn't be surprised if I get a dismal score this March in comparision! It being Ireland and Murphys Law and all that.

Feck! When I think of it, should have sat it in Australia this March to give myself some chance against........... THE BLINK........:eek: (foreboding sound)

You keep that blink to yourself now, those things are highly contagious. With no symptoms presenting except horrendously bad luck..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

6-8 weeks for the results is the party line. 6 weeks this Friday...

No chance, but still we're getting to the business end of the GAMSAT wait

The final guess at my results:

SI: 62
    SII: 65
    SIII: 59

Overall score: 61

I'd take that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

Yillan wrote: »
    6-8 weeks for the results is the party line. 6 weeks this Friday...

No chance, but still we're getting to the business end of the GAMSAT wait

The final guess at my results:

SI: 62
    SII: 65
    SIII: 59

Overall score: 61

I'd take that

I'd be delighted with 61. I reckon 59 would guarantee a place in UL though.

I think I did decently enough. I'd predict

S1 - 62
    S2 - 62
    S3 - 55

overall - 58.5

hope im wrong though but id be surprised if i scored less than that in those sections

No results today then. Is it too early to start sending angry emails to ACER? Didn't the guy to do it for the UK exams score in the high 60/70's? Might be an idea

• Advertisement

Yillan wrote: »
    No results today then. Is it too early to start sending angry emails to ACER? Didn't the guy to do it for the UK exams score in the high 60/70's? Might be an idea

I Wouldn't be surprised to get much less than 62 this time around. This exam was definitely rougher, timing being harder to Keep. It's like the science was 115 or 120 crammed into 110 questions. As far as I remember I got my score in Ireland last year on the 16 th of may? But I reckon it could be anytime soon or even later, ACER do their own thing...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

I just checked back on my emails and the results came out last May on the 14th which was just shy of 8 weeks from when we sat them .

As drspock said, ACER suit themselves and have no problem delaying the release so who knows when they will be out but i would estimate that it will be on Friday 20th

best of luck to all getting results

I Wouldn't be surprised to get much less than 62 this time around. This exam was definitely rougher, timing being harder to Keep. It's like the science was 115 or 120 crammed into 110 questions. As far as I remember I got my score in Ireland last year on the 16 th of may? But I reckon it could be anytime soon or even later, ACER do their own thing...:mad:

I reckon it'll be around the 20th... results released 1 day short of 8 weeks, like it was last year..... Altho being the crafty individuals that they are... they could go for an early release date- btwn 17-20th May...... I emailed them but no reply yet.

Getting close now, the last few weeks have flown. Every day is gonna crawl from now on......

I agree on the odds of worse results this year, i thought i did atrociously for one anyways! Wont stop me celebrating the end of a 5 season GAMSAT era though!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

im so not looking forward to opening the email and then finding out my result. it's going to be possibly the most tense moment of my life. anything over 59 and the neighbours will be frightened by the loud screams they hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

hi all,

wishing you all the best of luck with the results!

if it goes according to plan for anyone and they're interested in selling on any study material please gimme a shout/pm! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

From the University of Limerick website.....

I've seent his on the UCC website too, so it must be reasonably set in stone (as much as things can be with ACER).

GAMSAT Ireland Dates for 2011/12

GAMSAT Ireland Dates for 2011
    Test day - Saturday, 26 March 2011
    Standard Registration Period: Mid October 2010 - Midnight, 1 February 2011
    Late Registration Period: 2 February 2011 - Midnight, 11 February 2011
    Key dates:
    11 Feb 2011 - Closing date for special consideration requests
    11 Feb 2011 - Closing date for refund requests
    10 Mar 2011 - Tickets sent to candidates
    13 May 2011 - Results released to CAO (no later than)
    20 May 2011 (9am IST) - Results released to candidates ( no later than)

GAMSAT Ireland emailed back to say release date will be "mid May", nothing more specific.....

From NUIG School of Medicine Website.....

The School of Medicine has an enrolement of c.800 students, including many from overseas. University College Hospital, conveniently located beside the University campus, is the major teaching hospital.
    School members are highly qualified and the university has an extensive and well-funded programme of medical research.
    Students completing the School's primary undergraduate programme in Medicine are conferred with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics (M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O.).
    Postgraduate programmes include the Doctor of Medicine M.D., the Master of Surgery M.Ch., the Master of Obstetrics M.A.O., the Master of Medical Science, the Master of Medical Science in Medicine/Physiotherapy and the Masters of Medical Science in Sport and Exercise Medicine/Physiotherapy.

The School is currently expanding the undergraduate medical intake, implementing an exciting new curriculum, and we hope to offer graduate entry courses in medicine from 2011.
    The University is committed to providing the most up-to-date facilities and resources for the study of medicine and health sciences at the Galway campus. An energetic building programme is underway, with new buildings coming on stream to accommodate new programmes and expanding enrolments.

http://http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/

eh....... so who's giving them a ring? Surely they would have this added to the CAO lists by now if it was starting this year?

I was under the impression that NUIG has stated as part of the strategic partnership with UL that they would increase their number of undergrads but would not implement a graduate programme, as UL already had this area covered..... What's going on here then?

Hi all. I reckon this is a mistake or something. I rang them very early this year and they were adamant that GEM NUIG was not an option. I didn't see it on the cao course list at any rate?:confused:

From NUIG School of Medicine Website.....

The School of Medicine has an enrolement of c.800 students, including many from overseas. University College Hospital, conveniently located beside the University campus, is the major teaching hospital.
    School members are highly qualified and the university has an extensive and well-funded programme of medical research.
    Students completing the School's primary undergraduate programme in Medicine are conferred with the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery and Bachelor of Obstetrics (M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O.).
    Postgraduate programmes include the Doctor of Medicine M.D., the Master of Surgery M.Ch., the Master of Obstetrics M.A.O., the Master of Medical Science, the Master of Medical Science in Medicine/Physiotherapy and the Masters of Medical Science in Sport and Exercise Medicine/Physiotherapy.

The School is currently expanding the undergraduate medical intake, implementing an exciting new curriculum, and we hope to offer graduate entry courses in medicine from 2011.
    The University is committed to providing the most up-to-date facilities and resources for the study of medicine and health sciences at the Galway campus. An energetic building programme is underway, with new buildings coming on stream to accommodate new programmes and expanding enrolments.

http://http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/

eh....... so who's giving them a ring? Surely they would have this added to the CAO lists by now if it was starting this year?

I was under the impression that NUIG has stated as part of the strategic partnership with UL that they would increase their number of undergrads but would not implement a graduate programme, as UL already had this area covered..... What's going on here then?

The ol' "mid may" reply again? They are crafty feckers them ACER. I'm betting on the 20th as well, but you never know what those cheeky ACER elves will do? Law unto themselves..........anyone else tired of watching paint dry?
    GAMSAT Ireland emailed back to say release date will be "mid May", nothing more specific.....

• Advertisement

Hi all. I reckon this is a mistake or something. I rang them very early this year and they were adamant that GEM NUIG was not an option. I didn't see it on the cao course list at any rate?:confused:

I gave them a call since and yes the recession has bitten those plans in the but. Pretty poor that it's still on the website, on closer inspection it says last updated Jan '10. Get your act together Galway!

Not the first time NUIG has fooled me, (despite going there for 4 years). The year the HPAT originally came out I met with the Head of the Faculty at NUIG who informed me that as I did my Leaving Cert in 2003 I wouldn't be able to apply to any of the colleges as an undergrad, he maintained that you needed to sit the HPAT and the Leaving Cert in the same year to get in..... my little brother corrected me but not until 20mins past the CAO deadline. Serves me right for believing everything I hear!

The ol' "mid may" reply again? They are crafty feckers them ACER. I'm betting on the 20th as well, but you never know what those cheeky ACER elves will do? Law unto themselves..........anyone else tired of watching paint dry?

They should use watching paint dry as a form of torture. It seems to be working in this respect......

Agony!!!!

They should use watching paint dry as a form of torture. It seems to be working in this respect......

Agony!!!!

haha! I thought I saw something alright in the recent Guantanamo Bay Wikileaks release about the Americans using the ol' "paint drying" to supplement extensive "waterboarding" and other atrocities?

But seriously for such a high fee of 300 euro (x3 in my case) how hard would it be for them to be a bit more efficient with releasing results? The thing that really boggles me is that despite results being the sole factor, and those being available in May (on a different cycle to other applicants), why do the offers only come out in August? I think that's very late. Of all things one wouldn't want to rush getting accommodation going into something like Medicine! Better get some more paint........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keatso

I don't mind the waiting....I just don't understand why they can't give a definite date?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Its on the Aus GAMSAT site that results are out next week :)

haha! I thought I saw something alright in the recent Guantanamo Bay Wikileaks release about the Americans using the ol' "paint drying" to supplement extensive "waterboarding" and other atrocities?

But seriously for such a high fee of 300 euro (x3 in my case) how hard would it be for them to be a bit more efficient with releasing results? The thing that really boggles me is that despite results being the sole factor, and those being available in May (on a different cycle to other applicants), why do the offers only come out in August? I think that's very late. Of all things one wouldn't want to rush getting accommodation going into something like Medicine! Better get some more paint........:D

"2011 results
    GAMSAT2011 results will be released next week. Please do not contact the GAMSAT office for a more specific date; this will NOT be provided under any circumstances."
    (Oz website)

Am confused. Its mid-May now..... Anyone else????? :confused:

I hear you on the 300 euro x 3 story. Only mine is worse.... €300 euro x 5. Got my good score on 3rd go but kept going back trying to get Dublin. I wont even let my brain wander onto the "what else I could have done with that money" thoughts..... I wonder what the world record for most times sitting the GAMSAT is...... :rolleyes:

They'll probably manufacture a score for me this year to make me go away..... Fingers crossed!

Not that confused. It was more confusing last year when the gamsat UK website was telling us that the results would be available on the 17th and then the 26th and then the 20th. The acer loose definition of mid-may is mild by their standards. They'll do something mental before next Friday. Something like releasing a rumour that they've lost all the essay papers and will be awarding marks for that score on the basis of a lottery.

I heard a story that they had to re-release the scores when someone didn't show up for the essay and so didn't get a grade for it and so everyone below his score got the wrong essay grade. Don't know how true that is. It does sound somewhat plausible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

So do they email you to tell you the results or what? It's always been in my head that May 20 is results day, I'm sure I didn't just make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Last year they emailed us at 4am and released the results 5 hours later. Not much of a heads up. I'd have preferred no email. I was up anyway studying for finals so that ended up being the longest 5 hours of my life.
    Words of warning: When they say 9am, they mean 9am. There's no point refreshing the results page every 5 mins in hope that they release the results early. There's only so many beats a heart can skip!

• Advertisement

You've sat the GAMSAT 5 times? Jesus! Thats dedication. I reckon you deserve an honorary overall 75 for that effort. Seriously, every time I'v sat that nasty beast it took about a week to get back to normal (resume sleeping, stop exhibiting withdrawal symptoms and not crying myself to sleep in a corner).

I really hope you get a great score this time mate!! YOU DESERVE IT! Where are you hoping to start? Are you sitting on a 60+ score hoping to bring it up as well?

"2011 results
    GAMSAT2011 results will be released next week. Please do not contact the GAMSAT office for a more specific date; this will NOT be provided under any circumstances."
    (Oz website)

I hear you on the 300 euro x 3 story. Only mine is worse.... €300 euro x 5. Got my good score on 3rd go but kept going back trying to get Dublin. I wont even let my brain wander onto the "what else I could have done with that money" thoughts..... I wonder what the world record for most times sitting the GAMSAT is...... :rolleyes:

They'll probably manufacture a score for me this year to make me go away..... Fingers crossed!

Advertisement