Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I submitted my application yesterday after having initially filled it out a few days after the window opened. Initially there were four events I wanted to see 100m, 200m, 5000m and 10,000m. However when I checked out the dates they were on, I think two of them were the first weekend of the athletics and then there was a gap of about 4 or 5 days before the next two events that I wanted to see.

So I ended up applying for evening sessions for athletics for about a week solid. The choices were either only try for those four sessions and either fly over and back twice, only go for 2 of the sessions, or just stay over for the week and try to get tickets for whatever I wanted to see.

I chose more expensive tickets for the 4 main events I wanted to see and the cheapest tickets for the others. Not sure how lucky I will be, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'd say the morning sessions would be easy to get tickets for however most of the time there was max 2 events on during a morning session that I would be interested in so I skipped those.

At least we shouldn't have to wait too long to get a rough idea. I think they start charging people's cards from the 10th of May or so onwards so if you see a charge, you might be able to get a rough idea of what you've got possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Got in by the skin of my teeth. May not get any of my choices but u gotta b in it to win it. Marathons are a loop n d stadium is general admission for the finish so I'll prob go over for that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

gerard65 wrote: »
    You'll be very very lucky. Just watching the BBC news and there are huge numbers in for the main events.
    It was also discussed on the radio this morning. Even if you don't get a ticket and you are really into it, you could go to London anyway as the there'll be a massive buzz around the city and big screens put up.

I read your post and made a snap decision to cut my losses as couldn't be stuck a week in London with my poor dad so applied for
    - Thurs 9th Aug Boxing (Katie Taylor hopefully) and Athlethics evening
    - Fri 10th Aug Athlethics evening
    - Sat 11th Aug Soccer final and Athlethics evening BUT..................when my application came thru the athlethics on this date was missing!! When I scroll back on the computer it is there but not in my e-mailed confirmation and price list. Minor disaster. :mad:

The deadline has been extended but I cannot add on the extra evening's event. Keeps telling me I have no application (but I have a confirmation e-mail) and won't let me set up a new application.

Anyone selling tickets?? :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They were saying on the beeb news this morning that they had just extended the deadline by an hour after the systems started to fail last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Went for the following:

Sport: Triathlon
    Date/time: 04 August 2012 09:00-11:40
    Price Category: A

Sport: Boxing
    Date/time: 05 August 2012 13:30-16:30
    Price Category: E

Sport: Athletics
    Date/time: 05 August 2012 18:50-21:55
    Price Category: D

Date/time: 06 August 2012 13:30-16:30

Date/time: 07 August 2012 11:30-14:00

Date/time: 08 August 2012 13:30-15:00

Date/time: 09 August 2012 16:30-18:00

Really hoping to get the triathlon and at least some of the boxing. The athletics would be a bonus.

robinph wrote: »
    They were saying on the beeb news this morning that they had just extended the deadline by an hour after the systems started to fail last night.

Yeah, I spent that entire extra hour (and more) trying to work out how to add my evaporating Aug 11th Athlethics to no avail. As mentioned in my 1st post on this thread - that Men's 5k was my Athen's highlight. Might see you at the boxing!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Bambaata wrote: »
    Went for the following:

Date/time: 04 August 2012 09:00-11:40
    Really hoping to get the triathlon and at least some of the boxing. The athletics would be a bonus.

What do you need tickets for the triathlon for? Surely like the marathon you can stand on the street same as other triathlon events?

DaveR1 wrote: »
    What do you need tickets for the triathlon for? Surely like the marathon you can stand on the street same as other triathlon events?
    I want to be at the finish line stand. If i dont get those tickets i'll still roll down and catch it for free on the course but im not sure i'd then get a TV etc to see the action elsewhere on the course.

• Advertisement

DaveR1 wrote: »

Tickets were needed in Athens too. A fair proportion was sectioned off.

Has anyone used the 3vvirtual.com card to go about paying for the tickets? I cant add the account to my BOI 365 banking!!! It keeps coming up with
    "This beneficiary cannot be added at this time."

• Registered Users Posts: 19 400

I'm having problems with it too! I went down to BOI yesterday and they said that Visa hasn't given me enough information to transfer money in. I've emailed Visa asking them, but I got an email back saying they'll reply in the next working day which is Monday, but the money has to be transfered by the 10th which is Tuesday! :confused:

Bambaata did you have any luck doing it online? Anyone else have this problem?

No luck yet, been onto BOI and 3v. They say i have it registered now but have to get the activation in the ppost, i told them this wasnt good enoiugh (all week trying to add it) so they said they'll look into it. I tried adding using the card number and both the IBAN and UK domestic number and the BOI people couldn't understand why it wouldn't add, they said to go to branch and transfer but that isnt good enough as 3v need to be able to transfer back any balance and they cant by cash! Pain in the nads!! Going to threaten leaving BOI on Monday if they dont get it sorted. Been with them 12 years but this is taking the biscuit. Nobody has been able to give a straight answer and ive been going around in circles for days!!

That adding a beneficiary thing has always been a pain with BOI online. It annoys me that I can't just add the details myself and be done with it. I lived in Australia for a year back between 2002 and 2003 and the bank I used over there (Westpac) would allow you to set-up accounts to transfer money to easily, no hassle at all. You didn't have to sit and wait for the bank to post you out some PIN so you can finish setting up a beneficiary, it was done and dusted straight away online.

A friend of mine is with AIB and from what I can remember, they just issue you with some sort of card at the start and you use that to set-up beneficiaries straight away.

Anyway, hope you's get it sorted in time. It's from Tuesday that they start taking money and that period will last a few weeks so there's no guarantee that they will try to take the money on Tuesday even if you are successful with tickets.

I was watching a thing on the BBC News Channel today and they said that the organisers will try to take money from people's accounts and if they can't, they will phone you to give you a chance to sort it out. But after that, you lose the tickets. Don't know how accurate that is but if it's true, it's better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    That adding a beneficiary thing has always been a pain with BOI online. It annoys me that I can't just add the details myself and be done with it. I lived in Australia for a year back between 2002 and 2003 and the bank I used over there (Westpac) would allow you to set-up accounts to transfer money to easily, no hassle at all. You didn't have to sit and wait for the bank to post you out some PIN so you can finish setting up a beneficiary, it was done and dusted straight away online.

In Melbourne at the moment and am with Westpac. Its soooo easy to transfer money. Its great.

In the defence of the Irish banks, at least they dont charge you $2 for every transaction from an ATM owned by other banks. Every time I use an ATM that is not Westpac $2 is taken straight from my account. Absolute thieves. Twice I have gone to a Westpac ATM only to find it is out of order and so I have to go to a different bank and get charged $2.

And they charge $5 from your account each month if you dont have 2k coming into your account each month. Basically charging the poor for being poor.

And credit cards are a full rip off here and should be avoided like the plague.

This really has nothing to do with the Olympics. Sorry :) Your comment just triggered off a little rant.

The IBAN number issue is now sorted! Hopefully not too late transferring today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 400

Literallly transfered the money there too online! And got the IBAN to work. Fingers crossed it will go in on time now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If over grand disappears from my Visa card tomorrow then I'll be very happy.

Anything else and I'll be hoping that I've actually got something that I wanted to see and not just the rubbish events.

Looks like you have an extra weeks to sort out the funds on your cards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13338579

• Advertisement

Looks like you have an extra weeks to sort out the funds on your cards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13338579

Kind of disappointed about that. Am very eager to see if I get any tickets.

Me too. I want to know that they have taken my money, then I'll set to work trying to calculate the combination of tickets that they could possibly have given me for that amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Anyone hear apply for tickets and hear back yet???? When and how will you find out? Presume I will get an email when my application has been processed?!

Anyone hear apply for tickets and hear back yet???? When and how will you find out? Presume I will get an email when my application has been processed?!

I would doubt anyone has heard back yet. They put back the date they were going to start taking money from people's accounts from last Tuesday, to next Monday the 16th. So I would assume no-one has been charged yet for any tickets based on that.

They say everyone who has got tickets will be notified by the 24th of June at the latest. So basically you will have to wait from now until then to see if you get the magic email saying you've got tickets.

In the meantime, keep an eye on your Visa account and watch out for any charges that look like Olympic tickets. Depending on what you've applied for, it might help you work out what you've got.

I also read that tickets are available through tour operators such as Thomas Cook. However I'm guessing you would have to buy an entire package from them to avail of the tickets.

Money apparently will start leaving people's accounts today so I guess keep an eye on your Visa credit/debit card bill to see if you get charged anything.

Do charges go onto Visa debit cards faster than Visa credit cards? I have the latter and I know it usually takes a few days for charges to show up on it.

Nothing gone yet...come on Mr Coe, take my money... please...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Nothing gone yet...come on Mr Coe, take my money... please...

And if it helps to use your correct title, Lord Coe, don't take his money, take mine, please. Nothing gone, even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

No activity here yet either..............

...still waiting...

• Advertisement

Apparently so far they've only cashed cheques and postal orders and not charged any cards. Apparently they hope to process 60% of payments in the next week. Card payments to begin later in the week.

Advertisement