Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nothing taken from my card yet. But a Facebook message from someone else says that they have just had £1200 taken from their card today and that was about 50% of their applied for total.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

I've never checked my account as much...still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

I was going to apply for tickets but at the last moment changed my mind.

I was thinking of flying over for a day or so just to soak up the atmosphere.

I was wondering would it be possible to pick up tickets for lesser watched events on the day or do all tickets come with names printed on them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There will be more tickets sold in January(?) next year. Both to flog off any currently unsold and to allow people to get rid of ones they now have but don't want.

I think that the tickets will have the buyers name on in some form, this is just guessing though. But that is just from reading between the lines on the rules for the international ticket buying options and they talked about needing passport or some kind of ID to prove you are the rightful owner. I've bought tickets for US relatives, some of whom look like me so we can swap ID if needed for events I'm not going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Still nothing............

Isn't there also going to be some sort of an official "swap" site where people who have tickets that they don't want can sell them for face value to people that do want them?

• Advertisement

Seems that my mate has not actually been charged yet, he just can't read his card statement correctly and forgot he'd paid for some trip across the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

They have started taking payments from people's cards. They hope to have 60% of the payments taken by next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Over 1 million applications for the 100m final. I have about a 20/1 chance so!

http://www.sportinglife.com/london2012/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=olympics/11/05/20/manual_072036.html&BID=6932

finbarrk wrote: »
    Over 1 million applications for the 100m final. I have about a 20/1 chance so!

http://www.sportinglife.com/london2012/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=olympics/11/05/20/manual_072036.html&BID=6932

I'd say your chances are worse than that.

If you went for the £800 tickets then it's maybe 50/50, if you went for the £20 ones though then more like 950,000/1. There will have been very few of the cheap tickets, and most people will have gone for those as there is nothing to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I honestly don't care if I miss the 100 metres. Seen a couple of major 100 metre races live and always found them an anticlimax. Over way too quick and with the cheap seats you can see feck all. WOuld rather watch endless replays at home on BBC.

However I think the mens 10k (and if not some other race I really want to see) may be same evening so would love to see that

• Advertisement

According to James Pearce the BBC Sports editor, you can buy tickets for certain Olympic events through this German website www.dertour.de

There is an English link when you click on the union jack and go through to the purchase/events page.

Not much athletics events though, just race walk I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

robinph wrote: »
    I'd say your chances are worse than that.

If you went for the £800 tickets then it's maybe 50/50, if you went for the £20 ones though then more like 950,000/1. There will have been very few of the cheap tickets, and most people will have gone for those as there is nothing to loose.

Ah yeah, I realise that. Just threw it in along with a number of other events that I have applied for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I honestly don't care if I miss the 100 metres. Seen a couple of major 100 metre races live and always found them an anticlimax. Over way too quick and with the cheap seats you can see feck all. WOuld rather watch endless replays at home on BBC.

However I think the mens 10k (and if not some other race I really want to see) may be same evening so would love to see that

The stupid womens 100m final is the same night so really messed up chances of getting a ticket. For me the 10k is going to be something very special I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

ecoli wrote: »
    The stupid womens 100m final is the same night

Is this the one you need an IQ of <80 to enter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Is this the one you need an IQ of <80 to enter?

80? damn I am border line (need a few more of these to sort that)
    414943.jpg

then all i need to do is sort the gender thing, become a sprinter, and I am set;)

Apologies for any offence caused, personal frustration as 10,000m is the only race I want to see in person

Seems that they will have all of the normal payments taken by midnight on the 31st of May. I guess the only payments to be taken after that are one's that did not go through for whatever reason the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13574001

Nothing so far for me. I'm starting to give up hope now as there's only a few days left for them to charge my credit card. :(

Still nothing from my card either. A couple of friends have now had some money taken though, one of then only had 25% of what they had selected taken, but I think they may have only selected pretty popular events at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Nothing here
    Am getting a bit despondent now to be honest
    Don't reckon we will get anything

Yeah I'm starting to give up hope myself. Don't think I'm going to get anything either. Apparently those who don't get any tickets will have first choice when it comes to buying the remaining tickets but if all the athletics events are sold out, then there's nothing else I'd be interested in buying.

Might still go over to see the marathon but not sure if it's worth it just for that.

I'm still hopeful, mostly because it was a fairly wide range of different events that I'd applied for and according to my credit card I'd not been appointed any yet. I'm relatively confident that not all of the events I went for were over subscribed.

• Advertisement

I only went for athletic events myself, but it was all evening events. There were four events I really wanted to see so I applied for more expensive tickets for those in the hope I'd get them, and then I went for the cheapest tickets for the rest.

So far nothing charged to my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

I had 85 euro taken from my card on Friday. This from an order of over 600. Dissapointed as we had looked for some early morning sessions and was confident enough of getting those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I have to say I am finding this all pretty depressing (especially that BBC article). On one hand I am delighted to see our sport have such high demand, but it is a bit of killer to be a pretty hard core fan of the sport and possibly end up with zero tickets! :( Come on brianderunner, bring some good news to this thread :)

I'm so glad I have booked the entire world championships for August as it could be all the world class athletics I am going to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Checked the credit card and we were charged! Working out the prices of events we applied for (all athletics & one basketball - just for the experience!) it seems that we got basketball tickets! I am so so so disappointed - we only applied for those so we could get to experience a second Olympic event when we were there :eek: So now we have basketball tickets and nothing for the athletics :confused: No hope of getting tickets either seeing as it is so over subscribed. Raging! Feel like just booking tickets to a Diamond League this summer now instead....trying to work out what is the best option. Anyone any suggestions??

belle_09 wrote: »
    Checked the credit card and we were charged! Working out the prices of events we applied for (all athletics & one basketball - just for the experience!) it seems that we got basketball tickets! I am so so so disappointed - we only applied for those so we could get to experience a second Olympic event when we were there :eek: So now we have basketball tickets and nothing for the athletics :confused: No hope of getting tickets either seeing as it is so over subscribed. Raging! Feel like just booking tickets to a Diamond League this summer now instead....trying to work out what is the best option. Anyone any suggestions??

Go to the world championships. Yes flights to Korea will set you back about 800 euro, but the tickets are dirt cheap. Lower tier evening session tickets for 26 euro, upper tier for 13 euro, and no stupid lottery system to have to deal with, and you would get to experience a country which I am guessing you have more than likely never been to.

04072511 wrote: »
    Go to the world championships. Yes flights to Korea will set you back about 800 euro, but the tickets are dirt cheap. Lower tier evening session tickets for 26 euro, upper tier for 13 euro, and no stupid lottery system to have to deal with, and you would get to experience a country which I am guessing you have more than likely never been to.

I'm a teacher so dates for Korea don't suit at all :mad: Had already looked into it. That was why Olympics suit! Prices for Korea sound great, pity it's not possible though with work.

belle_09 wrote: »
    I'm a teacher so dates for Korea don't suit at all :mad: Had already looked into it. That was why Olympics suit! Prices for Korea sound great, pity it's not possible though with work.

How about you look into the Diamond League meeting in Crystal Palace. It is the only diamond league event that is 2 days long. Make a whole weekend out of it.

04072511 wrote: »
    How about you look into the Diamond League meeting in Crystal Palace. It is the only diamond league event that is 2 days long. Make a whole weekend out of it.

Tickets are not too bad for that...had a quick look earlier. Looks like it might be the only option for this summer. 2 days is nice though, prefer that to just one night. Will have a think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive had £172 of the £600 sought charged, presuming £12 is the admin that leaves tickets at 160. Now to try work out what we got!!

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Ive had £172 of the £600 sought charged, presuming £12 is the admin that leaves tickets at 160. Now to try work out what we got!!

Sounds good!! What sports did you apply for?

Advertisement