Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Olympic Athletics Days - which one?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Bambaata wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking whereabouts your got your accommodation and if it was reasonable. Prices i'm getting quoted are ridiculous

I got a place in Camden, £150 a night which is why I'm only staying 2 nights and may reduce it to 1. Pricy but what can you do, I don't have the option of staying with someone and it's the Olympics in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

G-Money wrote: »
    Nope, haven't booked flights yet. I've booked accommodation for 2 nights and had planned to fly over Wednesday, go to the event that night, and do some sightseeing or something on Thursday and fly home Friday. However I still haven't given up hope of getting a ticket to the 5000m on the Saturday. And if I'm staying until the Sat, it might be worth staying for the marathon. Ah I don't know :D

I'm also half tempted to change my accommodation plans and only stay 1 night and come home on Thursday.

£150 is very steep. Hostel?? I'm a tad peeved I have to wait now til April. I think the women's boxing finals are on that Thurs, before the athlethics evening session, and the men's on Friday. Regardless of what you do, it'll be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Not sure why people are worried about flights. There must be more flights per day from Dublin than any other city on earth, into 4 airports.

I fully expect to pay about 20 euro for flights like I normally do on saturday 4th august!

£150 is very steep. Hostel?? I'm a tad peeved I have to wait now til April. I think the women's boxing finals are on that Thurs, before the athlethics evening session, and the men's on Friday. Regardless of what you do, it'll be fantastic.

It's a hotel.

It's steep alright but what can you do? I spent a few hours looking for something and the only thing I got offered was the place I booked and a Premier Inn and the Premier Inn wanted all the money up front.

Anyway, I can cancel it up until a few days beforehand at no charge and as I say, I might reduce it to one night and fly over the Wednesday and back on the Thursday. It really depends on whether I get any more Olympic tickets. If I get tickets for the 5000m on the Saturday, I will probably book another 2 nights somewhere else like a Premier Inn, even if I have to pay for it up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

150 is fine. ive looked at loads who want £200+ per night. cheapest ive gotten is £1500 for 7 nights!

• Advertisement

It's a hotel.

It's steep alright but what can you do? I spent a few hours looking for something and the only thing I got offered was the place I booked and a Premier Inn and the Premier Inn wanted all the money up front.

Anyway, I can cancel it up until a few days beforehand at no charge and as I say, I might reduce it to one night and fly over the Wednesday and back on the Thursday. It really depends on whether I get any more Olympic tickets. If I get tickets for the 5000m on the Saturday, I will probably book another 2 nights somewhere else like a Premier Inn, even if I have to pay for it up front.

I was wondering would you not go for hostel accommodation instead?

Bambaata wrote: »
    150 is fine. ive looked at loads who want £200+ per night. cheapest ive gotten is £1500 for 7 nights!

I know of someone who booked a house in London for £900 for 7 nights. It's suburban but well located, like an outer Rathmines/Ranelagh area.

I was wondering would you not go for hostel accommodation instead?

I did the hostel thing in Australia and New Zealand and I've had my fill. Time to let others have a turn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I got a 3 bed apartment, central near a tube line for the first week for £1,400. Took lots of searching to get it. Most were over £2,500. Nothing cheap over there. Too much demand.

Not having fun with trying to avoid emptying my savings with this!! As much as i dislike and worry about using craigslist it seems that where i might have to start searching

• Advertisement

Actually if anyone happens to be booking 3rd to 10th August and have spare rooms and are looking for people to share please let me know! Im heading with the missus. A few places ive found are in the £1400 - £1800 range but can accommodate 4 which wouldnt be too bad if shared

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

@ finbarrk - I got a 3 bed apartment, central near a tube line for the first week for £1,400. Took lots of searching to get it. Most were over £2,500. Nothing cheap over there. Too much demand.

Would be great to know /get a link where you found this or similar , any website link or could you pm me, like that have been searching a few sites and 2 grand stg is bare minimum I have found. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It was through holidayrentals. But I got it last April or May. And as I said it took lots of searching different companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

WOOHOOO!!!! Flights booked! 1500 euro it set me back for a return from Melbourne to Dublin! The Dublin to London flights were a steal however. Arriving into London late on the 3rd August and return early on the 12th. Flying with BMI and managed to find flights for 85 euro in total (and I think that includes checked luggage), a good 30 euro cheaper than the cheapest Ryanair flight! Paid for it in Aussie Dollars because of the good exchange rate so only $109. Sadly I couldn't afford to pay for my long haul flights in Aussie dollars so had to take the plunge in Euro. Didnt want to wait a month to pay in dollars as the price could soar then.

Anyway enough rambling from me! Bring on London 2012!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

04072511 wrote: »
    WOOHOOO!!!! Flights booked! 1500 euro it set me back for a return from Melbourne to Dublin! The Dublin to London flights were a steal however. Arriving into London late on the 3rd August and return early on the 12th. Flying with BMI and managed to find flights for 85 euro in total (and I think that includes checked luggage), a good 30 euro cheaper than the cheapest Ryanair flight! Paid for it in Aussie Dollars because of the good exchange rate so only $109. Sadly I couldn't afford to pay for my long haul flights in Aussie dollars so had to take the plunge in Euro. Didnt want to wait a month to pay in dollars as the price could soar then.

Anyway enough rambling from me! Bring on London 2012!!!:)

Flying back on the 12th Aug early?? Mens marathon on at 11am that day.

Flying back on the 12th Aug early?? Mens marathon on at 11am that day.

Yeh I decided to give it a skip. The marathon isn't the best spectator event and I'm more interested in seeing the womens marathon because of Paula. I haven't been home in almost 2 years so dont want to be spending the entire time in London. 8 full days is plenty. Could be an all nighter on the saturday if Rob medals in the 50k! Will be a rough one getting up for that early flight!

EDIT: Was actually going to fly over early on the 4th and skip the womens triathlon, and then I remembered that Aileen Morrison is expected to go well so decided to get in the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

04072511 wrote: »
    Yeh I decided to give it a skip. The marathon isn't the best spectator event and I'm more interested in seeing the womens marathon because of Paula. I haven't been home in almost 2 years so dont want to be spending the entire time in London. 8 full days is plenty. Could be an all nighter on the saturday if Rob medals in the 50k! Will be a rough one getting up for that early flight!

EDIT: Was actually going to fly over early on the 4th and skip the womens triathlon, and then I remembered that Aileen Morrison is expected to go well so decided to get in the night before.

Skipping probably the best Olympic mens marathon of all time and opting for the Triathlon (lads we have lost another one:p)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No way he'll hang around to watch an event as long as the triathlon, unless the "sprint" version is now 50 meters freestyle in the pool, 5 minutes on an exercise bike and a 60m indoor sprint. :D

I think I'll only stay for the marathon if I manage to get a ticket to the 5000m on the Saturday. I've only got 1 ticket so far and that's for the Wednesday night so I'm not really planning to hang around for 3 or 4 days after that.

I hope Geoffrey Mutai get's picked, he's one of my favourites now, along with Haile of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think I'll only stay for the marathon if I manage to get a ticket to the 5000m on the Saturday. I've only got 1 ticket so far and that's for the Wednesday night so I'm not really planning to hang around for 3 or 4 days after that.

I hope Geoffrey Mutai get's picked, he's one of my favourites now, along with Haile of course.

G Mutai is probably favourite to make that team and aside from injury I cant see him not making it ( especially with the week field in Boston he should be 3/3 in in last 2 years for marathons)

Haile G is in hot water at the moment and not making the team is a very real possibility

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Skipping probably the best Olympic mens marathon of all time and opting for the Triathlon (lads we have lost another one:p)

Haha. To be fair though the marathon compared to other events aint terribly exciting on TV as it is. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to watch it live and be just standing at a corner and seeing Patrick Makau whizz past once every 30 minutes. Give me a great 10000m from inside the stadium any day of the week, like last years epic between Jelian and Farah. Cracking race to witness live.

Triathlon may be dull for the same reasons but I want to be there to support Aileen Morrison. She has potential to do seriously well. And also a friend of mine from Australia could well be competing aswell so would be good to be there to support her also.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Channel 4, tonight 8pm, 1 hour

Antony Barnett investigates why the vast majority of British people who applied for tickets to the London 2012 Olympics were disappointed. Who got the tickets and for what events?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I just got an email inviting me to get tickets for the Dutch Olympic committee venue during the games, sponsored by Heinekin obviously. Might take them up on that, if nothing else there will probably be some free lager and orange novelty things being handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

robinph wrote: »
    I think I just got an email inviting me to get tickets for the Dutch Olympic committee venue during the games, sponsored by Heinekin obviously. Might take them up on that, if nothing else there will probably be some free lager and orange novelty things being handed out.

I got that email too. probably cause i bought tickets through the dutch website. The Ally Pally is a bit of a trek up though, not sure if it's worth the effort!

I got that email too. probably cause i bought tickets through the dutch website. The Ally Pally is a bit of a trek up though, not sure if it's worth the effort!

I suspect you'd have to wear orange and the Heineken might be required in order to cope with the craaazzzzyy Dutch guys. It would probably be a laugh if you were doing nothing else that day to go and have a look around, all part of the overall Olympic thingamujig.

Waiting for the one from the French ticket site as well now. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

This is really unfair:
    With 20,000 people who missed out twice in last year's ballot being given a headstart to choose the best tickets, it is highly likely most of the seats for the Olympic Stadium will be quickly snapped up.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

This is really unfair:

Why is that unfair?? Seems pretty fair to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

steve9859 wrote: »
    This is really unfair:

I already have some tickets, I was joking, hence the smiley face.

• Advertisement

steve9859 wrote: »

It is unfair. We applied in both the first and 2nd round for athletics tickets: Heats and finals, and got nothing. However because we did get our token other sport (women's boxing semi finals) we wont have first choice to the athletics tickets! :mad:

Advertisement