Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

I'm in northside Dublin and both my ch 54 and 58 are rock solid 100% signal and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Souriau wrote: »
    Interesting to know what will replace RTE2 HD slot on Mux 1,
    TG4?
    RTE 2 HD /3D, WIMBLEDON IN 3D ON FREEVIEW ON THE BBC :D OR TV3 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

Karsini wrote: »
    I think so too. I'm getting mux 1 with 85% strength and 100% quality whereas on mux 2 I'm only getting about 45-55% with a high number of errors. I think I'm getting it from Kippure rather than Three Rock.

Also getting poor quality on CH58 but always rock solid on Mux1 CH54. Getting a better signal on CH57 from Carlingford. Can't figure what is happining from Three Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MMY

Hello all, wonder if anyone has the same problem as me? I have a holiday place in Castlegregory and up to yesterday morning was receiving Saorview with excellent signal strength and quality on Channel 47V from Cnoc an Oir. It was dead Sunday morning and I could not retune. I contacted the Saorview helpline on their website and they said it must be that the transmitter is down but couldn't confirm. I contacted RTENL who said I could find lists of planned maintenance etc on Aertel, but when I couldn't, they said the data would be update shortly!! I checked all connections etc and took the TV set home and verified that it can tune into DTT here in Limerick, which suggests to me that the transmitter is down. Has anybody any experience or suggestions??? I am surprised that neither RTENL or Saorview can give an actual status of a given transmitter, and with the recent public launch am I naive in thinking that it should be stable?

MMY wrote: »
    Hello all, wonder if anyone has the same problem as me? I have a holiday place in Castlegregory and up to yesterday morning was receiving Saorview with excellent signal strength and quality on Channel 47V from Cnoc an Oir. It was dead Sunday morning and I could not retune. I contacted the Saorview helpline on their website and they said it must be that the transmitter is down but couldn't confirm. I contacted RTENL who said I could find lists of planned maintenance etc on Aertel, but when I couldn't, they said the data would be update shortly!! I checked all connections etc and took the TV set home and verified that it can tune into DTT here in Limerick, which suggests to me that the transmitter is down. Has anybody any experience or suggestions??? I am surprised that neither RTENL or Saorview can give an actual status of a given transmitter, and with the recent public launch am I naive in thinking that it should be stable?
    I just checked with my friend in Listowel, he's still getting a signal on 47.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I contacted RTENL who said I could find lists of planned maintenance etc on Aertel, but when I couldn't, they said the data would be update shortly!! I checked all connections etc and took the TV set home and verified that it can tune into DTT here in Limerick, which suggests to me that the transmitter is down. Has anybody any experience or suggestions??? I am surprised that neither RTENL or Saorview can give an actual status of a given transmitter, and with the recent public launch am I naive in thinking that it should be stable?

The information should be on Aertel page 169 (Technical Info) but hasn't been updated for long time (maybe 2 years ago).

The Mux 2 upgrade seems to be causing some problems around the country with smaller relays but that's no excuse for not informing the public of transmitter downtime, maintenance etc. considering the service was officially launched to the public at the end of May.

Thanks Karsini - I will be back in Kerry on Wednesday and will try again; if your friend in Listowel is getting a signal on CHannel 47, that suggests that it still transmitting, and I assume it would be at the same power so maybe I have a problem with an aerial connection somehow.

Karsini - as I see you're still online, and from browsing the posts you seem to have an insight into this, is it possible the Cnoc an Oir is transmitting on less power than before - for some technical reason (I don't understand the significance of the change to MUX2) - which would explain why I am not getting it in Castlegregory - which is quite a bit further from the transmitter than Listowel?

I don't have any power figures but it's certainly not impossible.

Thanks - I will be back in Kerry Wednesday and do an update. Looking at the posts - and thanks also to "the Cush" for replying, it seems that there are numerous incidents of transmitters going down, power being reduced etc - and frankly it is bizarre that Saorview/RTENL cannot provide timely information which is publicly accessible to avoid the frustration which I can see from other posters related to service levels. But then, this is the country that hasn't been able to introduce integrated ticketing in Dublin for two decades....

• Advertisement

I agree totally. They haven't updated the engineering info on Aertel for several years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Both Kippure and 3Rock use 54 for mux1 and 58 for mux2. I cannot see Kippure from where I am, but you can see both Txs.
    Just 3 miles south of castlewellan Co.Down I seem to be seeing RTE Mux 1 and 2 on Ch.44 and 47.Cairn Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Hi. Im just outside Blennerville, on your way to Castle. Have you tried Maghera? Im on the north side of the Dingle peninsula like yourself & I have no problem getting a good signal from Maghera in fact you would probably have a clearer run at the tx site than me. The Saorview coverage checker says Im no good for DTT, either from Knockmoyle, Cnoc an Oir or the 2 big ones at Mullaghanish & Maghera yet everything is good & probably to improve when the mast works will be finished there.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I'm wondering is there content on mux 2 on all the main transmitters a part from Maghera and when will we see tests on mux 2 from Maghera?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I'm wondering is there content on mux 2 on all the main transmitters a part from Maghera and when will we see tests on mux 2 from Maghera?

Probably when the mast upgrade is complete. I've posted the question around here a few times re the works schedule - but no answer yet.

Thanks Machinehead, I originally tried Maghera but the signal wasn't strong enough and it kept breaking down. I was delayed getting down to Castleg today but will be there in the morning (armed with a new signal booster just in case) so I'll let you guys know the update. I had an e-mail from RTENL this morning (after I had pointed out the lack of information available on transmitter status), telling me that he could tell me anytime, they just weren't putting it out on teletext!!! He still didn't answer whether they were were working on Cnoc an Oir but at least I appear to have a contact who will actually enter into dialogue.

Folks, just to update you, replaced my aerial (with the same grid type) and bingo, full signal again on Channel 47V from Cnoc an Oir. I can only conclude that the salty sea air finally corroded the aerial connections, a huge coincidence at the time of the Saorview launch. If the weather (ever) picks up, I will try and see if I can pick up Maghera as well. Thanks for all the input.

I just received an email from RTENL and it stated that the upgrade for Maghera should be completed by the end of the year. When i asked when can we expect to see tests on mux 2 from Maghera they said that mux 2 is only testing at the moment with no programs on it. So it could be awhile before we see anything turn up on mux 2.:(

When i asked when can we expect to see tests on mux 2 from Maghera they said that mux 2 is only testing at the moment with no programs on it. So it could be awhile before we see anything turn up on mux 2.:(

If RTÉ2 and RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 move to mux 2 by Sept as planned I'd expect it to be available from Maghera by then.

The Cush wrote: »
    If RTÉ2 and RTÉjr/RTÉ1 +1 move to mux 2 by Sept as planned I'd expect it to be available from Maghera by then.
    I suppose i will have to be patient and wait after all they are only testing mux 2.

• Advertisement

Mux 2 down from Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill.

Was down for a time too last last night and earlier today running on lower power from both transmitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gone from whatever transmitter I'm getting them from.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Truskmore Mux2 power level down to 38%
    Anyone else experenices lowpower of Mux2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Souriau wrote: »
    Truskmore Mux2 power level down to 38%
    Anyone else experenices lowpower of Mux2?

Mount Leinster Mux 2 is down to 36% as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

spur hill (mux2) seems to be completely off air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

pa990 wrote: »
    spur hill (mux2) seems to be completely off air

Im now geting nothing from Mount Leinster either - it seems that they were likely just running a short test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Mux 2 from Clermont Carn off since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Still running today on Kippure, nice to see the old HD promo loop again, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

I'm finally picking up mux2 ch58 from Three Rock.

(Received Email from RTENL confirming Three Rock and Kippure both broadcasting second mux)

• Advertisement

Booms wrote: »
    I'm finally picking up mux2 ch58 from Three Rock.

Much better here too, better than mux 1 in fact. 90% strength with no bit errors. Either the power was way down or it was only coming from Kippure up to now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement