Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes it is too much to hope.

This is the time of year to get the extra overtime and exes in before Santa calls and trips over the aerial on the chimney.

It is also very cold, so perhaps they are testing the low temperature performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Well I dunno about launches but testing MUX 2 still live here atm from Truskmore on channel 57. It's been on about 12 hours now and it's stronger than my MUX 1 signal on number 53.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is it too much to hope that all this testing of Mux 2 in the last week or so, at a time of the year when most large organisations do not carry out unnecessary work and actually go into wind down mode, means that we are about to see some new channel launch, maybe Oireachtas TV or TV3HD ?

oh sweet Jesus.. not tv3hd... what a waste of space that would be, give me qvc over that anyday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

pa990 wrote: »
    oh sweet Jesus.. not tv3hd... what a waste of space that would be, give me qvc over that anyday

TV3 have their 'Sony HD Studio' now in City West so it is only a matter of time before they launch HD on Saorview (as long as they can have a free ride) but they will not need the HD studio as most of their programmes are imported from ITV. I]Except Exposed and that Vincent Browne chap, both of which we could do without[/I.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

TV3 have their 'Sony HD Studio' now in City West ].

I thought it was over in Ballymount in Tallaght, beside their existing studio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no free ride for anyone. HD will cost about x3 to x4 as much as SD. You pay for datarate on Digital, not channels

The Cush wrote: »
    I thought it was over in Ballymount in Tallaght, beside their existing studio?

You are probably right. It is all in the same direction from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

On Mux 1 from Clermont Carn the channels when first tuned in start with no sound and stutter for a moment before picture and sound come into synchronisation. This has been happening on all channels on Mux 1 this morning. Anyone else experiencing this and has it got anything to do with Mux 2 testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

MUX 2 CH 55 currently on-air from Maghera.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 from Maghera now fired up. Can anyone confirm if the radio test channels are hidden?They are not on my epg but show up when i scan channel 55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Ten radio ch's showing up normally here but no mod.
    Is it possible you have the TV set to display TV Ch's only?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

peking97 wrote: »
    Ten radio ch's showing up normally here but no mod.
    Is it possible you have the TV set to display TV Ch's only?
    When I last checked Maghera the radio channels were all hidden. It's lit up again today & as with mux 2 from Mullaghanish all the radio services are hidden even though they show while the scan is being carried out.
    TV set to display all DVB-T channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Thanks guys will check again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Rté must be ready to fire up the second MUX now as its been on over 24 hours and is all over the country.
    I am still only getting test cards tho and that annoying sound
    Ne1 got Any new info as to what is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

CH on E44. Mux 2 is slightly stronger than Mux 1

MHEG-5 Aertel is on Test channel 1 and 2

Why is Test channel 4 and 5 got the 4:3 test card stretch to fill the 16:9
    The resolution is also poor, little hazy

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Not very tech savvy when it comes to MUX2 and stuff like that, but I noticed on my Saorview epg today that there are a whole load of new test channels. Does this mean we are about to get a whole bunch of new channels on saorview?

Souriau wrote: »

MHEG-5 Aertel is on Text channel 1 and 2

Why is Test channel 5 and 6 got the 4:3 test card stretch to fill the 16:9

The 4:3 test cards are showing up correctly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MHEG-5 Aertel is on Text channel 1 and 2

Why is Test channel 5 and 6 got the 4:3 test card stretch to fill the 16:9

When I checked earlier that was noticeable on my TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I last checked Maghera the radio channels were all hidden. It's lit up again today & as with mux 2 from Mullaghanish all the radio services are hidden even though they show while the scan is being carried out.
    TV set to display all DVB-T channels.

Same for me when I scanned Three Rock and Kippure. Radio test services showing up on Mux 2 when scanning, but nothing stored. Last time Mux2 was up, the test radio services did show up in the EPG. Triax TR112. Edit: Just checked the Blue Diamond TV as well, it's the same.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

cabledude wrote: »
    Not very tech savvy when it comes to MUX2 and stuff like that, but I noticed on my Saorview epg today that there are a whole load of new test channels. Does this mean we are about to get a whole bunch of new channels on saorview?

The most that is likely inside next 6 months is
    • Oireachtas TV
    • TG4 goes to HD only FORMAT, most content upscaled
    • TV3 goes to HD only FORMAT, most content upscaled

Maybe a non-RTE national Radio station already at better quality on FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hope this isn't some sort of political last minute rush job trying to get stuff on air by Xmas. It'll force a retune which not everyone can do, and if they don't then they'll lose channels.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I have recorded all the test channels and then see what format and size they are in
    Test Channel 1 544x576 AR = 544:297
    Test Channel 2 1440x1080 AR = 16:9
    Test Channel 3 544x576 AR = 544:297
    Test Channel 4 544x576 AR = 4:3
    Test Channel 5 544x576 AR = 4:3
    Test Channel 6 544x576 AR = 544:297
    Test Channel 7 544x576 AR = 544:297

What is AR 544:297 and why is this?
    The SD channles are not true 16:9
    even HD channel is just 12:9 or 4:3 then stretch out to fill the widescreen

What is SSU channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

watty wrote: »
    The most that is likely inside next 6 months is
    • Oireachtas TV
    • TG4 goes to HD only FORMAT, most content upscaled
    • TV3 goes to HD only FORMAT, most content upscaled
    Maybe a non-RTE national Radio station already at better quality on FM.

RTE One +1 24 hrs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What is SSU channel?
    SSU [Programme 2100]
    Type: Data broadcast service
    Publisher: RTÉNL

SSU ...... System Software Updates

http://www.digitag.org/DTTResources/SSU.html

That's all I have :D

EDIT

Are they checking the updates to boxes to auto tune the new mux?
    Examples of operational faults corrected in Europe include:
    Finding new broadcast service (i.e. scanning for services in the broadcast bands)
    • Solving interoperability issues between interactive platforms, i.e. MHP and MHEG
    • Inability to find new services due to tuning problems or identification of echos
    • Better handling of service installation with multi-transmitter site reception
    • Adding a manual search option in receivers which originally had only automatic search
    functionalities

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    RTE One +1 24 hrs ?

Even the current 50% time RTE+1 is a waste of money. I doubt it.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I hope this isn't some sort of political last minute rush job trying to get stuff on air by Xmas. It'll force a retune which not everyone can do, and if they don't then they'll lose channels.

That's a bizarre outlook. The only stuff that can't retune isn't compatible and shouldn't have been sold here.

Either the Seller should refund or Maker patch the Firmware. SOGA is 2 years MINIMUM and up to 6 for consequential damages.

If "SOGA" isn't applicable then you need a new TV or Setbox. The majority can't be denied extra services because a minority are using incompatible gear.

Which is no doubt why Canon offered free replacement cameras up to six years after sale date for models with faulty sensors.

watty wrote: »
    Even the current 50% time RTE+1 is a waste of money. I doubt it.

It does not cost any extra to put RTE 1+1 on the mux, other than some extra rights costs (if any) because otherwise it would be stuffed with zeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Mux 2 now testing from Clermont Cairn on channel 56. No difference in signal strngth from Mux 1.

This was obviously the cause of yesterday's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

Oireachtas TV should come in very handy. We will be able to watch "Leaders Questions" and the likes on : RTE1, RTE News Now & Oireachtas TV !!!

Forgot to add: When the same program is over on the above 3 channels we can switch to RTE1+1 and watch it again when RTE1+1 goes fulltime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

RTE One to go HD too I'm hearing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement