Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is it just on during the day, or is it on all the time? I tried but got nothing but I am using a H log periodic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is it just on during the day, or is it on all the time? I tried but got nothing but I am using a H log periodic.
    I'm in the Swords region in North Dublin and didn't find it either when I did a scan.

I did, however, find Mux 1 being broadcast on Ch 30, in addition to Ch 54 from Three Rock.

It appears to be using 2/3FEC, 8K DFT and 64QAM though, in comparison to 3/4FEC, 2K DFT and 16QAM from Three Rock.

Has anybody got any idea where this is being broadcast from?

Mux 1 is being broadcast on Ch 30 from Holywell Hill and Kinsale, but I highly doubt I'm picking those up.

Jonathan wrote: »
    I'm in the Swords region in North Dublin and didn't find it either when I did a scan.

I did, however, find Mux 1 being broadcast on Ch 30, in addition to Ch 54 from Three Rock.

It appears to be using 2/3FEC, 8K DFT and 64QAM though, in comparison to 3/4FEC, 2K DFT and 16QAM from Three Rock.

Mux 1 is being broadcast on Ch 30 from Holywell Hill and Kinsale, but I highly doubt I'm picking those up.

30 is Three Rock, 54 is Kippure. They're not in SFN anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Three Rock Mux1 Ch 30 since Jul 10th, Kippure Ch 54.

The VHF test is coming from Donnybrook according our poster on the previous page
    radman wrote: »
    It apperas to be vertical polarised and being transmitted from the Mast in Donnybrook.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Karsini wrote: »

30 is Three Rock, 54 is Kippure. They're not in SFN anymore.
    Thanks. Somehow I missed that announcement. :(

My /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/ie-* dvb-apps files are now out of date. I better send in another patch to update them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The signal I saw was on a friends setup near Ballinteer. He has a small roof mounted yagi ( contract?) style aerial pointed at 3Rock. Based on that old ariva's meter :-
    3Rock=98% signal
    Kippure=60%
    VHF=60%
    Donnybrook would be almost exactly side-on to the aerial.

My /usr/share/dvb/dvb-t/ie-* dvb-apps files are now out of date. I better send in another patch to update them.
    Patch for submission. Anyone care to look over it?

Also, what channel did ie-ThreeRock's Mux 2 move to back in July?

Patch for submission. Anyone care to look over it?

Also, what channel did ie-ThreeRock's Mux 2 move to back in July?

No new info on Mux 2.

Have a look at this updated Comreg list of licensed frequencies - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/Broadcast_Technical_Parameters.xlsx

Have a look at the mux parameters, should be - 64QAM Carrier 8K Guard 1/32 Code rate 3/4 - I believe, someone else may be able to confirm.

The Cush wrote: »
    Have a look at this updated Comreg list of licensed frequencies - http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/Broadcast_Technical_Parameters.xlsx
    Perfect. Ch 33 it seems. :)
    Have a look at the mux parameters, should be - 64QAM Carrier 8K Guard 1/32 Code rate 3/4 - I believe, someone else may be able to confirm.
    Thanks for that. Updated diff here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

Since the Saorview spec does allow for Band III transmissions could these be used for Self Help systems where UHF reception would be difficult or can there be no more self help schemes now that Saorsat is live?

• Advertisement

sligotrain wrote: »
    Since the Saorview spec does allow for Band III transmissions could these be used for Self Help systems where UHF reception would be difficult or can there be no more self help schemes now that Saorsat is live?

Band III VHF is a mandatory part of the Saorview spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

MUX 2 from Maghera is now fired up since 3pm today. It has the usual test cards and radio test labels with no audio. TG4 is on channel 12 test service 2 HDTV. I wonder is TG4 HD going to launch on MUX2 soon?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nothing on 24, 25, 27, 28 or 31 from Mullaghanish

Or Channel 9 for that matter (Mulla VHF allocaiton)

marno21 wrote: »
    Nothing on 24, 25, 27, 28 or 31 from Mullaghanish

Or Channel 9 for that matter (Mulla VHF allocaiton)
    It's been quiet awhile since MUX2 from Maghera has been fired up so most likely a quick check to make sure everything is in good working order. It will most likely be switched off by tomorrow. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Why do they fire up Mux 2 from time to time even though they don't intend to launch it?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Why do they fire up Mux 2 from time to time even though they don't intend to launch it?
    I suppose the techy guys in RTENL have to keep themselves busy by making sure MUX2 is in good working order. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 radman

no mux 2 on 3 Rock or kipure at the moment.

radman wrote: »
    no mux 2 on 3 Rock or kipure at the moment.
    As i say it is most likely just for testing and will probably be switched off tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

MUX 2 from Maghera is now fired up since 3pm today. It has the usual test cards and radio test labels with no audio. TG4 is on channel 12 test service 2 HDTV. I wonder is TG4 HD going to launch on MUX2 soon?

Watching Tg4 now. It looks good (HD I presume). Maghera channel 55

Aphex Tim wrote: »
    I don't think there is much HD content on it yet so most likely the content is up scaled but still looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 RonanAnthony

Nothing here today from truskmore Sligo. Must be only maghera doing the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Aphex Tim wrote: »

Has TG4 HD on UPC broadcast any native HD content yet? (not upscaled).

I suppose the techy guys in RTENL have to keep themselves busy by making sure MUX2 is in good working order. :D

Ah I see :) ... any indication of a launch date yet? TG4 looks ready to go and TV3 should be ready soon with their new studio.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah I see :) ... any indication of a launch date yet? TG4 looks ready to go and TV3 should be ready soon with their new studio.
    As far as i know no launch date has been set yet and i don't think we will see TV3 HD launch on it anytime soon as the carriage fees for carrying new channels on MUX2 have to be sorted by RTENL. I just can't see MUX2 been fired up just for one channel. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

How do they propose to divvy up the two muxes? One for RTE and the other for the rest?

How do they propose to divvy up the two muxes? One for RTE and the other for the rest?

Does it really matter? Both muxes are licensed to and managed by RTÉNL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Does it really matter? Both muxes are licensed to and managed by RTÉNL.

Yes the first mux frequencies are the ones optimised for best clear reception. RTE2HD will be on a seperate Mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

HD channels need to be evenly split between muxes.
    If ALL main channels are HD and Film channel + Oireachtas channel start, then the 3rd Mux will be rolled out.

Just in case they have have plans definitely for four FTA muxes. I doubt we will be that lucky.

As far as i know no launch date has been set yet and i don't think we will see TV3 HD launch on it anytime soon as the carriage fees for carrying new channels on MUX2 have to be sorted by RTENL. I just can't see MUX2 been fired up just for one channel. :(

Who is deciding the carriage fees? the minister, RTENL or BAI.... or a combination of all of them?

Also when is TV3's broadcasting licence up for renewable? ... this would surely make TV3 play ball in relation to Saorview/Saorsat.

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    Yes the first mux frequencies are the ones optimised for best clear reception. RTE2HD will be on a seperate Mux.

RTÉ said previously that the second mux will have equivalent population coverage to that of the first mux after ASO.

We know that RTÉ2 was required to be on Mux2 from Sept 2011 but that didn't happen so it may or may not be on the second mux when that launches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement