Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUX 2 launch date ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dub88

Did another few re tunes, WMC is now storing both muxs and mux 2 hd loop is playing fine but still not enough signal to watch mux1 (can see epg and all listings) this is a bloody tease!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 from Maghera is now fired up with 7 TV future services and 11 radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Not at home atm, how is it for signal & quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not at home atm, how is it for signal & quality?

Same as Mux 1 here it seemed when I tuned it in ..... haven't really looked since...

Mux 2 from Maghera now off again. Powered off around 4pm. :mad:

• Advertisement

Nothing from Three Rock either. I only recall getting a Three Rock mux 2 signal for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Was it running on channel 55?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Saw Mount Leinster on channel 39 from 3 till 4 today.
    Gone at moment.

Mux 2 on channel 55 from Maghera fired up again this morning. Signal quality a little lower than that from Mux 1 on ch. 48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

CH53 coming in loud and clear in Armagh with regular Saorview, but CH57 has no signal. I don't think Clermont is broadcasting it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

Clermont is broadcasting at the moment on mux 2. However it is on very low power. We are in line of sight of it and it breaks up all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Bah! I'm not at home to test it, I bet by the time I do get home around lunchtime it will have stopped!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

Doesn't stop during the day mostly. It's just so low on power, you've no chance of it being available in Armagh.

I was expecting mux 2 from Maghera to be switched off around 4pm yesterday which normally happens but still on today.

I was expecting mux 2 from Maghera to be switched off around 4pm yesterday which normally happens but still on today.

I was expecting the same myself. I'm wondering about the mast upgrade at Maghera & how far it's from completion. I'm open to correction here but I think Maghera is the last of the main national Tx's pencilled in for mast upgrade works. Both muxes are a little below the usual quality levels but will mux 2 from Maghera need to be up & running by the end on September transfer of RTE Two to the second mux (if that's still going ahead)? According to Aertel (P 169) RTENL are beavering away on a lot of transmitters atm, most of which seem to be on reduced power while the work is going on.

I spoke too soon mux 2 off now . Switched off around 3pm. I maybe wrong i don't think the work been carried out on the transmitters at the moment will affect the moving over of RTE2 HD to mux 2 . I emailed RTE NL a couple of weeks ago asking when will the works on Maghera be complete and they emailed me back saying it would be the end of the year before the upgrade was complete so i'm sure RTE2 HD would have made the move to mux 2 before then.

:(Bummer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'm wondering about the mast upgrade at Maghera & how far it's from completion. I'm open to correction here but I think Maghera is the last of the main national Tx's pencilled in for mast upgrade works.

Maghera and Mt Leinster masts being replaced. Truskmore and Mullaghanish were replaced last year.

The Cush wrote: »
    Maghera and Mt Leinster masts being replaced. Truskmore and Mullaghanish were replaced last year.

Do you think the continued works on these masts will delay the rollout of the 2nd mux nationwide?

• Advertisement

Do you think the continued works on these masts will delay the rollout of the 2nd mux nationwide?

Don't know but my guess would be lack of content could be a reason to delay the launch of any further multiplexes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They could fill it with HD!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Hour-shift channels to be worthy of consideration by the Minister for Comms/Energy/Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte.

Some of the channels recommended for consideration by BAI are:

•TV3+1
    •TV3 HD
    •3 Kids/3 Classic
    •TG4+1 (not quite the same as TG4, in that all evening content will be as gaelige)
    •Chilli Hits (Music channel)
    •Irish TV (Irish themed music)
    •FISÉ (film channel)
    •CEOL (music)
    •EOLAS (parliamentery channel from Oireachtas, Stormont and EU)
    •Radio: Raidio Rí-Rá, Easy FM and an oldies station from Dusty Rhodes.

Big Tone wrote: »
    Hour-shift channels to be worthy of consideration by the Minister for Comms/Energy/Natural Resources, Pat Rabbitte.

Some of the channels recommended for consideration by BAI are:

•TV3+1
    •TV3 HD
    •3 Kids/3 Classic
    •TG4+1 (not quite the same as TG4, in that all evening content will be as gaelige)
    •Chilli Hits (Music channel)
    •Irish TV (Irish themed music)
    •FISÉ (film channel)
    •CEOL (music)
    •EOLAS (parliamentery channel from Oireachtas, Stormont and EU)
    •Radio: Raidio Rí-Rá, Easy FM and an oldies station from Dusty Rhodes.
    These would be a good addition to Saorview but how long will we have to wait to hear from Mr. Rabbitte and realistically how many of these channels will ever get to launch considering the current financial climate? I don't think we will be seeing any of these until at least the end of 2012.

These would be a good addition to Saorview but how long will we have to wait to hear from Mr. Rabbitte and realistically how many of these channels will ever get to launch considering the current financial climate? I don't think we will be seeing any of these until at least the end of 2012.

The BAI consultation was only to seek expressions of interest and wasn't to award available capacity. A tendering process for the spare capacity will have to take place before we see any new channels.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70937859&postcount=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The Cush wrote: »
    There's been no RTÉNL announcement regarding the nationwide operational start of Mux 2.

The Ministerial Decision requires RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 to start transmitting from Mux 2 from Sept 1st. RTÉ 2 HD is also required to be carried from the second mux - no date specified in the decision.

Could it be available from the national launch of Saorview at the end of May?

2 days left in September. Will it happen I wonder?

To be honest with no extra content to put on it there doesn't seem to be any hurry to move RTE 2 HD over to mux 2. Maybe RTE NL are waiting for some new channels to launch so the costs of running mux 2 can be shared. These things never seem to go to plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

These things never seem to go to plan.

Was there a plan?

Was there a plan?
    I'm just speculating that there was a plan to move channels over to mux 2 September 2011 but maybe this has changed as it would be more cost saving to wait and see if other channels launch and they can share the costs.

• Advertisement

I'm just speculating that there was a plan to move channels over to mux 2 September 2011 but maybe this has changed as it would be more cost saving to wait and see if other channels launch and they can share the costs.

The Mux 2 launch hardly seems likely ATM. Think of those who depend on the 1st mux for 2HD from the smaller localised infill TX's eg Dún an Óir & Knockmoyle here in Kerry. AFAIK I don't think any testing has taken place for the 2nd mux on those sites. If the transfer goes ahead on the main TX's what will happen to 2HD for those sites. Maybe someone can supply some info on the 2nd mux status for the smaller lower powered sites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement