Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Yep, one of my main problems, never suffered too badly with brainfog or coldness, for me it's all digestion and muskuloskeletal system...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

cltt97 wrote: »
    Yep, one of my main problems, never suffered too badly with brainfog or coldness, for me it's all digestion and muskuloskeletal system...

Snap- I was diagnosed ' fibromyalgia' a crock of sh1t syndrome which I know is solely the cause of hypothyroidism

Check out dr Lowe for muscle and joint pain related to thyroid disorders I think it's thyroidinfo.org or some such

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

Hmmm Fibromyalgia now ,

well lets see , if you check my previous posts, especially regarding supplements ,I mention the importance of Magnesium .

well for fibromyalgia Magnesium is a Good one,for sure,
    digestion well lets see surprise Magnesium again
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/480704-magnesium-digestion/

also see

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7786692

And surprise muscle pain relates to magnesium deficiency,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2146789/

if you have hypothyroidism you can and will have multiple issues ,
    to avoid many of these read my previos posts in this thread the minerals and vitamins are of paramount importance,check with your endo if you doubt me, or do your own research,
    we are like a working battery, these minerals and vits need a balance,
    if we do not balance these especially if we have Diabetes, or thyroid issues ,
    things will get worse no doubt of that,
    It is all part of the complex Endocrine system,

goodluck
    chessguy.

I do take supplements but I really don't know why as I never needed them before to feel 'normal' I have read about magnesium and selenium being of great help for muscle and joint pain but the never helped me even in crazy doses. I'm checking out cortisol treatment now to support the adrenal glands and reckon I'll have to come off Armour first. pain the in arse :(

I take Erfa (kinda same as Armour) and I've taken cortisol for adrenal support, but it has made very little difference and I'm just weaning myself off the cortisol, but other people swear by it, so hopefully it'll work for you. Try and incorporate fatty fish or fish oils into your diet, as these are essential in inflammatory conditions...

• Advertisement

I do take supplements but I really don't know why as I never needed them before to feel 'normal' I have read about magnesium and selenium being of great help for muscle and joint pain but the never helped me even in crazy doses. I'm checking out cortisol treatment now to support the adrenal glands and reckon I'll have to come off Armour first. pain the in arse :(

@ rOBeRt frETt
    without the minerals being in >> Balance as in my earlier posts in this thread , no Thyroid medication can work optimally,
    ensure the Magnesium is chelated , preferably Albion patented,(should be written on the back)
    you can get the brand Solgar in Ireland,

Taking too many minerals does not help maintain a healthy balance,
    good idea to get bloodchecks on these minerals,

Also monitor your temperature , in the morning day and night before bed,
    this will give your Endo good clues,
    good idea to get RT3 tested too as mentioned in my earlier posts,

goodluck
    chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

I just read about thyroid diets and didnt know that nuts would be a defenate no-no :O
    Unfortunately they are my only secret sin so I guess I have no one but me to blame for the brain fog and pains.

Just got my blood test results this morning and after a year of thyroid hormone replacement and absolutely no results (initial TSH was 27), my Doc tells me I am deficient in Vit D- which he thinks may point to hypoparathyroidism
    Vitamin D came out at 20 and it should be 60, anyway got more bloodwork done but won't get the results for a week- anyone have any experience with the parathyroid?? would love to hear from ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Just wondering, I have hyper, and normally only get my T4 and TSH levels done a few times a year. SHould my doc but doing more comprehensive bllod tests?

Cheers

Did you get calcium and phosphorus tested also? I don't think Vitamin D deficiency tells you much with regard to the parathyroid gland. Vitamin D deficiency is common in Ireland, due to lack of sunshine. Vitamin D deficiency can defo contribute to joint/muslce pain, so this might be one of the reasons why you experience same.

• Advertisement

thanks cltt97 he has done a full test and everything was in acceptable range except for Vit D- now running the tests for parathyroid and ceoliac disease - apparently much more common in hashimotos - but then so is a vitamin D deficiency :) hopefully that's the missing link

Redpunto - yes!

Yep, there is a strong link between coeliac and thyroid disease, I had a blood test done which came back below level indicative of disease, but I am going for endoscopy now just to be sure, as went on gluten free diet (for almost two years) but felt no different really, so now I want to know for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

I know people have asked about a support group. What really is needed for such a group? Apart from a few million quid, a group of overpaid consultants and lunch bill that would make bertie blush!
    I mean how hard is it to arrange a pub crawl? Surely tis the same:rolleyes:

What is the consensus? Would people be willing to form a group whom met say once or twice a year. A voluntary group which could hopefully seek support from a GP/endo whom was willing to help por gratis. We could also learn from other people experiences firsthand with the condition.

I know its easy for me to sprout all this on the forum. It would not be an easy task. In reality it would be need to be properly organized and structured to avoid confusion and mayhem!

So who wants to do it! (I mean all the structuring and content) I can organize people. I used to play Hurley.

I think it's worth putting out there El.duderino I'd do my best to attend, what's more 3 members of my immediate family are hypothyroid and it would be great to get information straight from the horses mouth so to speak. the medical establishment in the main don't give Two flying ****es, your hypothyroid? - easy! take these - all fixed. Why is it some people are completely restored to health when they start taking synthyroid and others don't respond well at all? and we could explore the links between hypothyroid and other illnesses maybe take some preventative measures etc

cltt97 isn't there an antibody test for coeliac disease? or what do they look for in the serum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Redpunto wrote: »
    Just wondering, I have hyper, and normally only get my T4 and TSH levels done a few times a year. SHould my doc but doing more comprehensive bllod tests?

Cheers

How do you feel? I had desperate problems with my thyroid for ages: I started a new tablet now I'm fine (except I'm pregnant and my dose has to be upped slightly :rolleyes:). If you don't feel fine yes then they should be checking other things. If you do then T4 and TSH a couple of times a year is fine... in my opinion anyway. Having a problem with your thyroid can be a nightmare, but it isn't for everyone... so many of my family have it and I'm the only one who ever had issues in regulating it!

There is an antibody test available for coeliac but its not 100% accurate.

Has anyone been pregnant with an underactive thyroid? How was baby afterwards? Did they need any treatment straight after birth?

Both links mention Minerals vit D Magnesium etc , these minerals are paramount to all Endocrine issues .Good idea to get vit D vit b12 ,MAGNESIUM , pOTASSIUM CALCIUM checked,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9037127

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001422/

best source of vit d D is he sun at midday, till one goes very slightly red/pink without sun tan oils on ,this form of vit d from the sun helps the cholesterol function in the body too,

See my prev posts in this link for a more comprehensive links.

goodluck
    chessguy

hi cltt97,

No, I don't have any of those symptoms, so I reckon I haven't crossed over to the dark side. I had a blood test done on Tuesday, so I'll update my results here when I get them. My weightloss has been a little bit of a false dawn, I'm back up to 85KG again, but I do feel good and I'm sleeping much better - very little insomnia.

I'm going mad with hunger in the evenings, I eat some fruit but I'm hungry again in about 20 mins. I eat a full dinner around 6:30pm, so I think my brain is receiving false hunger messages from my stomach, it would be great if there was a pill I could take to eliminate false hunger.

I've also discovered pistachio nuts are high in calories so I'm cutting them out now. I'd love to hear suggestions of successful ways people deal with false hunger sensations.

Hunger sensations ,, chia seeds ,soaked in water for say 25 mins.good soluble fiber,

but make sure to drink plenty of water , say a tablespoon of seeds in a large glass,

false hunger pains are assosiated with leptin restisance,

this is the low down

the basic cure is to eat a large protein breakfast and go 5 hours between meals and sleep well,

this neurosurgeon, is fantastic,

check out his site
    http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/
    he also has a list of top 10 suplements

http://jackkruse.com/what-are-the-top-ten-paleo-supplements/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32367-7.html

goodluck

chessguy

cyning wrote: »
    Has anyone been pregnant with an underactive thyroid? How was baby afterwards? Did they need any treatment straight after birth?

My sister is hypo and has 3 children none required thyroid supplementation, a TSH test is included in the heel prick test so don't stress it, you should have had your dose increased while pregnant so you have enough for you and baby.

chessguy wrote: »
    Both links mention Minerals vit D Magnesium etc , these minerals are paramount to all Endocrine issues .Good idea to get vit D vit b12 ,MAGNESIUM , pOTASSIUM CALCIUM checked,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9037127

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001422/

best source of vit d D is he sun at midday, till one goes very slightly red/pink without sun tan oils on ,this form of vit d from the sun helps the cholesterol function in the body too,

See my prev posts in this link for a more comprehensive links.

goodluck
    chessguy

The what at midday? - sun!
    I've gotta work through midday and besides would only have my face and hands exposed

My sister is hypo and has 3 children none required thyroid supplementation, a TSH test is included in the heel prick test so don't stress it, you should have had your dose increased while pregnant so you have enough for you and baby.

With my hyperthrodism, they had to do an extra blood test on babes at about 5 days to check babys levels. With all my kids they were fine even though i was on meds during the pregnancy.

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    How do you feel? I had desperate problems with my thyroid for ages: I started a new tablet now I'm fine (except I'm pregnant and my dose has to be upped slightly :rolleyes:). If you don't feel fine yes then they should be checking other things. If you do then T4 and TSH a couple of times a year is fine... in my opinion anyway. ?

Thanks, its well regulated now just my consultant can be a blase about things and Ive had it for so long now I never question the procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I know people have asked about a support group. What really is needed for such a group? Apart from a few million quid, a group of overpaid consultants and lunch bill that would make bertie blush!
    I mean how hard is it to arrange a pub crawl? Surely tis the same:rolleyes:

What is the consensus? Would people be willing to form a group whom met say once or twice a year. A voluntary group which could hopefully seek support from a GP/endo whom was willing to help por gratis. We could also learn from other people experiences firsthand with the condition.

I definitely think this is a great idea!
    Whilst the internet is great, we can all meet up 'virtually' on here....when I was at my lowest, or most confused/worried what I needed was real people to reach out to and ask questions / compare scars etc. And this is something I strongly feel would benefit all of us.

I'd suggest starting informally and seeing how/where we can go from there.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS last year, which is horrific, scary & utterly devastating...but it is awful to say I have been quietly envious of all the support that was almost instantly available to him, support groups who have helped him immensely, and the MS conferences & seminars he has attended...I know its really helped him to come to terms with things, and helped him adjust and improve his quality of life in countless ways. The chance to meet with other MS sufferers and discuss all their different situations has been invaluable.

I also think we need a lobby group...to try and get thyroid meds on the Long Term Illness Scheme, even if its just assessed on a case by case basis.
    But that's another rant for another day!

cltt97 isn't there an antibody test for coeliac disease? or what do they look for in the serum?

There is (t-TG test), but it can be both false positive or false negative, usually when they find it they then go on and do the endoscopy to see if there is damage to your villi in the intestine - this is the only way to really be able to tell if you're coeliac or not.

I'm also all for a support group, and if it's just down the pub to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Grayfox

Is anyone here on Natural Dessicated Thyroid of any type or brand? I'm hoping to get switched over soon (No gland after cancer) but i'm wondering is it still available or banned? There was a massive scare in 2009 caused by the FDA and i can't find any information regarding the issue being resolved or not?

@rOBeRt frETt vit D you mention Vit D level was as low as 20, ,

if this is correct , I would take a sunny holiday soon for at least 2 weeks ,

this is very low but extremely low for people with Endocrine issues,

a little insight ,

http://chriskresser.com/the-role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-thyroid-disorders

@ KAdens PM , best to keep such questions in the open forum , so others can contribute , and benefit too.

regarding Magnesium chelates basic info...

Magnesium comes in two types:
    - soluble forms/organic (aspartate, malate, glycinate, citrate and succinate etc.)
    - insoluble forms/inorganic salts (chloride, carbonate, oxide).

Overall, the chelated magnesium and magnesium glycinate are often referred to as being very absorbable.

http://www.krispin.com/magnes.html#How

@kadens you enquired about a good site worth looking at
    the site of DR. WILLIAM DAVIS is fantastic.

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/

And from Andreas Eenfeldt causing a revolution in Sweden and now the whole of scandanavia

see the video the food revolution.

The Food Revolution

http://www.dietdoctor.com/about

regards
    chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 henrysgirl

was wondering if any of you can help me i have been ttc for 8 years now and no luck n now the docs have found out i have a underactive thyroid and started me on 50mcg of eltroxin, i have been taking it for 23 days now and just dont see any difference but i am getting really sore boobs and lower back ache for the last 2 weeks, guess what im wanting to know is can eltroxin really mess with my hormoans to the point that it effects my ovulation or my menstrual cycle sorry for all the questions i just feel so alone and docs dont give much advice they just sent me away with the meds n said get bloods done in 3 months.x

Hi Henrysgirls, post your lab results if you have them (TSH, Free T3, Free T4)

Firstly, Eltorixin takes about 6 weeks to work and you may actually feel worse in that time. sore muscles are a very common complaint with hypothyroidism.

Eltroxin is completely inert, it's converted in your body to T3 the active thyroid hormone, when you first start on it you should have your blood drawn again 6 weeks later (not 3 months).
    It's also worth mentioning that you should have your doctor check ALL hormones
    and vitamin and minerals.

If you are not experiencing good results on Eltroxin ask you doctor about natural thyroid hormone alternatives such as Armour or Thyrolar- many patients feel they do better on these products because they also contain the active thyroid hormone T3.

There is some great information here
    http://thyroid.about.com/

Grayfox wrote: »
    Is anyone here on Natural Dessicated Thyroid of any type or brand? I'm hoping to get switched over soon (No gland after cancer) but i'm wondering is it still available or banned? There was a massive scare in 2009 caused by the FDA and i can't find any information regarding the issue being resolved or not?

Yes is is still available in at least a few brand names and has been successfully treating hypothyroid patients for over 100 years- no chance the FDA can do much about that- it's sold as ULM (unlicensed Medicine)

I take Armour Thyroid, but others on this thread take natural dessicated products by a different name, they are usually porcine or bovine derived and don't let you doctor tell you there is anything wrong with prescribing them, most people do much better on REAL thyroid hormone not just T4

read on.
    http://thyroid.about.com/
    www.sttm.com (Stop the Thyroid Madness )

Henrysgirl,

Treating a thyroid disorder is like going on a mad rollercoaster ride! For most of us on this forum anyway... (the lucky ones that just take the Eltroxin and have no problems usually don't go looking on the net for answers :-)). I've had all your symptoms as well at some stage, they will go, it just takes a while (as in weeks). 50mcg is also only a starting dose, and most adults are on around 100 +/- 25 mcg. And everyone is different, some people feel immediate improvement that tends to ebb off, others don't feel anything, it is totally person to person specific. So all I can really tell you at this stage is, be patient and keep monitoring your bloods. Usually it is 6 weeks in an adjustment phase, 3 months is unnecessary long. So any kind of reaction of your body to the replacement hormone usually also takes weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 henrysgirl

thank you for your replys i called my doctor today and asked him about the symtoms im having and he has advised me to get my bloods done every 6 weeks untill the right dose of eltroxin fits with my body, its extreamly important for me as me and my partner are trying for a baby, any tips of thinga i should or shouldt eat or just general info would be appreciated xxx

thanks again x

Advertisement