Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thyroid misery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

My mother is suffering from a suspected underactive thyroid and is being treated with Eco Thyro.
    I'm looking for anyone with any experience with Eco Thyro, a natural remedies, whether this is a placebo or has any scientific backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

I had a quick google to see what this is as had never heard of it, but it appears that it has dessicated bovine thyroid in it, so it should have an effect, but without knowing how much and strength is difficult to comment further on it. But the best thing for your mother to do is go and have a blood test and get TSH and Free T4 tested and then she'll know if the suspicion is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SarahH2O

Well the trip to the endo was a total waste of time.Only interested in the blood results,did not want to listen to anything I had to say and dismissed the few symptoms I did get to bring up as being nothing to do with the thyroid.Just suggested a blood test once a year.From what I have read this is pretty common?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just seen the GP and had hypothyroidism confirmed. Got a prescription for levothyroxine to start on now and then back for more blood tests in a few weeks to get it checked. Although I pretty much knew what he was about to tell me I have now got to read up on this new addition to my list of conditions properly. Was a surprisingly quick chat with the GP for getting told I had a new condition though.

Now just waiting in the GP's still to see the diabetes nurse for the HBa1c results. Might quiz her a bit more as she's been more useful in the past at explaining things.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

SarahH2O wrote: »
    Well the trip to the endo was a total waste of time.Only interested in the blood results,did not want to listen to anything I had to say and dismissed the few symptoms I did get to bring up as being nothing to do with the thyroid.Just suggested a blood test once a year.From what I have read this is pretty common?.

Find another Endo,

goodluck

chessguy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SarahH2O

Thanks Chessguy,definitely will.Anyone got a suggestion for a good endo in Dublin?,by PM of course.Thank You

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Took advantage of the relatively quiet day today and the fact my blood sugar was good first thing to do some basal testing until the afternoon for my diabetes. But despite the fact that I'd had nothing to eat all morning I think I was feeling a bit better and happier than for the last while. Could the thyroid pills really be making a difference after only a couple of days on them?

More likely I was just happy that it was a short week of work.

They worked very quickly for me, I could feel a difference within days, and my spirits lifted also. Can't remember how quickly that happened, but I remember my body immediately reacted to the thyroid hormone. It's a bit of a rollercoaster though, so be prepared for that feeling to be short lived. It's like you take the stuff and feel brilliant, then it wears off, you increase the dose and again feel brilliant and then it wears off... it keeps happening until you're on a stable dose and then it takes a while to feel good...

It's only really recently that I was actually aware that I was feeling awful for ages, guess it kind of snuck up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LimerickBishop

It sneeks up on all of us. You can't see it coming. You don't realise you're ill until you're really really ill. You're bewildered. You can't explain how you ended up feeling so tired and lacklustre. It usually takes an external remark, like a relative noticing you don't look well, to get you off to the GP, and if you have the wherewithal to mention to your GP that it may be your thyroid that's making you feel this way, then you can finally get to the bottom of it all.

I'm diagnosed over two years now, feel really good now, just hope it continues. My next blood test won't be for another few months.

Tip; take two Vitamin D3 tablets a day during winter, and eat about 5 brazil nuts. Steer clear of stimulants as much as you can and learn to live as stress free as possible.

Happy New Year Everyone

• Advertisement

It kind of helped that being diabetic they test me for all sorts of other things regularly anyway, so I did actually know they were keeping an eye on the thyroid as they told me my numbers were a little high last year and it was just a matter of time. I just trusted them though, but on reading what that actual good range is it may have been an idea for them to start me sooner. The last few tests over a couple of years were around the 6's I seem to remember, but the last one they did just before xmas was a 23.

I did feel terrible for a week at the end of October, didn't get out of bed for a few days and was totally knackered but otherwise nothing obviously wrong with me and I had to cancel my running of Amsterdam marathon that which was on that week, but had then just gradually got myself back active again and ran another marathon a few weeks later with a good result. I had been putting my feeling rubbish since then down to me getting repeatedly beaten in races by people I would normally beat and the after effects of that last marathon. It's only when I was still running rubbish, and feeling crap about going running, for longer than is normal after a marathon that I started to think something else might be up with me.

I can't get over the doctors in this country! the normal range is 0.4 to 4, so at a 6 they should have already started supplementing. I had a TSH of 5 in 2005 - in 2007 when I was diagnosed my TSH was >100. I didn't even know I had been tested in 2005, the consultant in the hospital who had access to my blood tests saw it in 07 after being referred by the GP and asked whether the GP had ever mentioned that test to me!!!! If this had been flagged then I would not have ended up in the state I was in when I went to the (different) GP in 07. I thought I was anaemic, I felt awful, pale, tired, wrecked all the time and somewhat indifferent to everything and had a mild goiter - thankfully the GP spotted that ....

I'm not actually sure what the levels ever were when I was in Ireland, it was never mentioned to me at the annual checkups. The NHS GP ran the full set of tests on me within weeks of registering here though and from the graph of results I was shown the other day the first results that they took here for TSH were high as well...so it must have been on the previous tests in Ireland as well.

I'll not criticise the NHS too much as they have been very good to me this time round with getting me on the insulin pump quickly. But they did nearly kill me before they diagnosed me with diabetes 15 odd years ago. Hopefully that GP isn't practising any more.

yeah, total ignorance over here. They also all believe that all you need to do is pop a bit of Eltroxin and all will be fine, and if it isn't, then it's all in your head and you're a hypochondriac!

cltt97,

You do need to make lifestyle changes to help you get better. There's no point blaming the GPs for not understanding the condition unless you have changed all your bad habits and practices for good ones. If you've done all this and still feel awful, then you have grounds to challenge the medical professionals.

I used to moan to my GP about not being able to lose a few more pounds I felt I needed to lose. He said I needed to be more active throughout the day. I did at the time feel this was very unfair. However, 2 months ago I started a new job, which involves more physical demands throughout the shift. So, I was now forced to climb up and down ladders, up and down scaffolding stairways, walking around the work area, and I only spend a few minutes each hour sitting at my desk. The result is I have lots more energy and have lost a bit more weight. I could have lost more but I enjoy a few treats now and again. I can't complain now, since I know if I cut out those few treats, I'd have lost the weight I always wanted to lose.

I hope I don't sound smug, but I just thought I had to share this. Or maybe I'm just lucky as I'm in my 30s and have the energy to effect change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Anybody have a good suggestion on a book for underactive thyroid?

cltt97,

You do need to make lifestyle changes to help you get better. There's no point blaming the GPs for not understanding the condition unless you have changed all your bad habits and practices for good ones. If you've done all this and still feel awful, then you have grounds to challenge the medical professionals. .

You know, your post upset me very much and I wrote a very long reply last night explaining myself, which I then deleted because I felt I should not have to defend myself on a forum like this. You don't know anything about me, but make assumptions and then patronise me.

Please read my post in full again cltt97. I certainly did not intend to upset you or anybody else. Its true I know nothing about you. But I do know me. That's why I decided to share my experiences. Perhaps I should not have addressed my post to you, as its not a direct post about you. I hope everyone reads it.

Hope 2012 is a happy and healthy year for you.

It sneeks up on all of us. You can't see it coming. You don't realise you're ill until you're really really ill. You're bewildered. You can't explain how you ended up feeling so tired and lacklustre. It usually takes an external remark, like a relative noticing you don't look well, to get you off to the GP, and if you have the wherewithal to mention to your GP that it may be your thyroid that's making you feel this way, then you can finally get to the bottom of it all.

I'm diagnosed over two years now, feel really good now, just hope it continues. My next blood test won't be for another few months.

Tip; take two Vitamin D3 tablets a day during winter, and eat about 5 brazil nuts. Steer clear of stimulants as much as you can and learn to live as stress free as possible.

Happy New Year Everyone

Just a kind tip ,

Limerickbishop you mentioned Brazil nuts circa 5 a day and 2 vit D3 tablets a day,

see the links regarding Brazil nuts,
    vit D3 comes in many strengths ,
    have bloods tested for D25. (vit D3) before taking this supplement.

Brazil nuts are extremely high in Selenium and can be toxic
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7889353

http://nutgourmet.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/brazil-nuts-the-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-of-the-nut-world/

Limerick Bishop the coffe could well have caused issues for you.

coffe does not go well with thyroid meds see link
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18341376?dopt=Citation

thyrioxine is best taken at night time Not in the mornings.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17201800

Folks please use Pubmed if possible it is easy to use Pubmed.

this is a link to one of my prev , posts hope you find it useful LBishop see the link you may find T3 useful. Best of luck.

Particularly the post titled >> ImportanT

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215078&page=12

Goodluck
    chessguy.

Thanks for all those links Chessguy, I'll have a look at them in depth when I get some free time.

I take eltroxin when I wake up, and don't eat breakfast for at least 45 mins. Perhaps you may have assumed I take the eltroxin with my breakfast. Regarding Coffee, I only take decaf. Tea is usually herbal tea. Alcohol is taken occasionaly. I forgot to add that eating fish helps a lot in my own personal experience.

What I have noticed also, is that my appetite has returned to normality recently. I no longer get any cravings of any kind, and I can walk past cake shops and fast food outlets without any thought of going in entering my head. This is true freedom.

Happy New Year Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Happy New Year fellow sufferers.

My New Year is off to a bad start. Had to go back on the Eltroxin last November because my TSH was gone to 10, started on 25mg and after a few weeks went up to 50. After only 2 weeks on 50 I'm back with lots of hyper symptoms again, palps, racing heart, lightheaded etc. Doc has reduced med to 25 again for the moment but I know that's going to send me hypo again.
    Looks like I've become intolerant of the Eltroxin for some unknown reason. Have to go to Endo & have tests on the tiny remaining piece of thyroid that I have to see whats going on.
    I'm in a vicious circle at the moment swinging from hypo to hyper & so sick of it.

That sounds soo familiar Wyldwood! I went through the exact same. I had to stay on an ultra low dose for ages and increase by tiny amounts and stay on each dose for something like 3 months at a time. it took me over a year to get up to a half decent dose and I'm still not even quite in the lower range of normal, but I'm feeling ok-ish, hoping I'll get there eventually. I found, like you, that after the overdosing incidence or whatever it was I developed a high sensitivity, even intolerance at first and it's taken me ages to adjust to thyroid meds again. I'm now taking dessicated thyroid, so something different from Eltroxin, which also gave me some trouble, but at least I've managed to get up to a dose that is somewhere equivalent to around 90 mcg Eltroxin.

Chessguy,

I'm gonna limit the brazil nuts to two a day from now on for a period of time. I wouldn't take 5 nuts everyday, somedays I'd take none.

I'm also gonna start taking eltroxin at night before I go to bed and see if I notice a difference. I feel fine, so I'm not sure if it is wise to make these changes, but I'm open to try new things.

The coffee link didn't make any mention of decaf coffee, so I presume that study was carried out using caffinated coffee, which is something I don't usually take.

Limerick bishop re: Brazilnuts
    they cotain on average 780 times the daily recommended value of Selenium,
    So good idea to go easy,

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium

Also you can check easily if taking the Eltroxin at night benefits ,

Take your temp with an old fashioned mercury Thermometer they are very accurate ,Modern digital ones have" Humour swings"

Take Temp,at Nght, and first thing in Morning ,and in the afternoon.
    for say 1 week.

Then take eltroxin at night and do the same tests ,
    check the results,

If they are both the same which would be a surprise ,,
    If you are not happy with the results temps getting a bit too low.
    Also talk to yur Endo about T3,
    could be you are not converting T4 (which is a storage hormone) optimally to the active T3,hormone.

it is very common the conversion does not work well , refer to my link below marked Important ,
    (then T3 supplementaion is required.)

You may do what I do (after consulting an Endo.)

I take half at night before bed, and half in the morning , 1 hour before meals ,
    This gives me a better average temp

goodluck
    chessguy.

Also check this too MY earlier post. the post marked important as other minerals like magnsium are extremely inportant.
    they all work in Tandem ,

good idea to get Organic Brazil Nuts and store in Glass jar in the Dark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...215078&page=12

Also a spoon or 2 of virgin coconut oil must be cold pressed and Organic. , would be beneficial ,
    for very low temp cooking or jst eaten as is ,
    feks BIona virgin cold pressed cooking oil, or Nutiva is good too
    Both may be available in good Irish Health stores ,
    some of the benefits in the link below,

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/22/magical-fat-that-increases-good-cholesterol-and-lowers-abdominal-obesity-in-women.aspx

Goodluck

Chessguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Johnc71

Just wondering about my critical illness cover, is thyroid cancer covered? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

Its a daily nightmare, you never know what the mood is when you wake up, never know wether its going to be a day when youre not able to do anything because of the tiredness. Muscle aches at nights, hyper days when everything seems possible and you cant sleep for the next three nights at all, impatient days when everything someone says or does is just feckin annoying... Low lipido days when you just cant understand why all your friends are so keen on dating guys lol
    Ive had it for nearly 10 years, Eltroxin helps a bit but I can clearly see the difference between on tablet day or two ( got them alternately)

I'm only a n00b with thyroid issues, but am curious about people talking about the meds needing to be changed so often for some of you. Is it that some people's thyroid is still working partially? I got the impression that mine was totally defunct and it should just need them to figure out the right level for me and shouldn't change much after that. Also that I started on 100mg seemed higher than the starting dose for some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

There's is no such thing as a perfect level Robinph - it changes like everything else in your body.

you do sometimes reach a status quo when the same level of meds work fine for a while and then you drop/increase again.

For me, I get tested every 6 months and sometimes its fine and other times it needs to be changed.

At the moment, I am getting tested every 3 weeks (after 7 years diagnosed) as my levels are all over the place and my antibodies are on the increase. But give me another couple of months and I could feel fine with levels stablising

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Usually bovine dessicated thyroid are for dietary supplementation so your mother may have to take quite a few depending on her TSH and free t3 and t4 levels. I take armour thyroid which is a listed drug in the American pharmacopoeia and is porcine
    Hypothyroidism is usually handled very poorly by the mainstream medical establishment and you'd do much better with a naturopath and a holistic approach.

If your mother still has any of these get another blood test done and it's also worth getting an adrenal gland test ( saliva not blood)

Feeling cold when others are not
    Low basal body temp
    Constipation
    Hair loss
    Bone numbing fatigue
    Muscle and joint pain
    Fibromyalgia
    Hair loss
    Depression or anxiety
    Brain fog
    Weight gain or difficulty loosing weight
    Shortness of breath
    Swollen face or eyes

I wish her all the best in her recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

How many of you fellow hypo suffers from muscle pain?

My neck,shoulders and now hips are now joining myself as long term sufferers and moaners:).

Advertisement