Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thyroid misery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 penderella

chessguy wrote: »

Dear lord Chessguy have you never heard of brain fog??????

Excellent post, it may take me a week to get through it, there is some sound advice in there, i just need to break it down to bite size pieces, baby steps.
    I have being coming around to the idea that a whole life style change is required, that there is no once a day magic pill to sort out my health.

Thanks for the response.
    Ella

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

penderella wrote: »

The Know it all Endo said that i was going a bit Hyper!!!!

Not sure how the health service works, can i just get a request for bloods from my GP and go to another hospital to have them tested eg Beaumount?
    Ella

Yeah, well your TSH was below range, but FT4 and FT3 were perfect. Time for a new endo I think....

I don't know about the health service much either, but my GP doesn't take bloods, so he gives me a lab slip and I go to the hospital. They get served by two hospitals, Tallaght and James, so I can go to either and they have lab slips for both those hospitals. But if all your tests were done in the same hospital, then they can obviously do them. Just make sure that when you go it does not only say TFT (i.e. thyroid function test, which is TSH and T4) but FT4 and FT3 are written down specifically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now I'm going back for the results of my latest blood test in a couple of days to see how the initial dose they have put me on is working out. But... although I'm certain I'm feeling better overall since the beginning of January, I'm not quite sure what variations I'm now aware of in "general crappyness" feelings are due to the cold weather, my increase in training recently, work... or if things are actually down to the new drugs.

How long do the thyroid drugs/ hormones work over? Such as would you get a variation in levels during the day/ hours or is it more over multiple days that they take effect.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

robinph wrote: »
    How long do the thyroid drugs/ hormones work over? Such as would you get a variation in levels during the day/ hours or is it more over multiple days that they take effect.
    That's the thing, I think it's very individual. In my case, my eltroxin is still not right. I've never had a steady dose or an ''oh my god I feel great'' episode. I'm on Eltroxin 7 years and the longest I went for bloods was 6 months. I'm now back to 6 weeks!! :( It really just depends on the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Now I'm going back for the results of my latest blood test in a couple of days to see how the initial dose they have put me on is working out. But... although I'm certain I'm feeling better overall since the beginning of January, I'm not quite sure what variations I'm now aware of in "general crappyness" feelings are due to the cold weather, my increase in training recently, work... or if things are actually down to the new drugs.

Once the tablets are ingested there is some debate around 'absorption' into the blood stream- i.e. take you medication on an empty stomach so the entire dose goes into the blood stream without changing it chemical effectiveness ,
    Thyroid circulates in the blood stream and is used throughout the body everywhere. It's doesn't work like caffeine or a pain killer, supplies are built up gradually in the blood stream- T4 has a half life of 7 days and you're constantly producing/consuming.
    so when you begin supplementing give at least 6 weeks (at least) before serum levels stabilize, during this time as far as symptoms are concerned - anything goes! most feel worse
    best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid four months after my baby was born that was a year ago I am on 50mg of eltroxin but feel tired all the time. My gp says my levels are fine

In the last month the soles of my feet have become very sore manly the heels and I find it hard to walk on the them and going up or down stairs is a nightmare. I read somewhere that this might be a symptom of a thyroid issue.

So I suppose what Im asking is has anyone heard of this before, I want to speak to my gp about it but need a bit more info as she tends to dismiss me as my levels are stable (moving gp is not an option)

I know she will recommend more blood tests which is fine but I just want to know if they is a side affect of thyroid issues

edellc wrote: »

I know she will recommend more blood tests which is fine but I just want to know if they is a side affect of thyroid issues

Hi Edellc

I feel your pain - literally!
    sore hands and feet are a common symptom of hypothyroidism
    please follow this link for more information

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Medical-Research-Internet-1426/painful-feet.htm

why not print it out and show your doctor as they have a great way of convincing hypothyroid patients that 'your symptoms are not thyroid related'

best of luck!

Edellc,

As Rob said, very common. I used to get really bad repetitive strain injury pain in my wrists, and I also got it on the inside leg part of my ankles, when I get it there it's one of my first signs to know that I'm under-dosed. That together with dry eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Thanks for the replies and the link....I have just gotten off the phone from my gp and as I suspected she said that my levels when tested in October where that of someone with no thyroid issue. She also said that considering where my thyroid is located compared to my feet that there is no way my sore feet are connected to a thyroid issue. She suggested I look at my footware and that I come in to get my bloods checked for peace of mind but said all should be fine, and that once we check bloods we can then check my footware :confused:

So now I go round in circles again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭chessguy

Hi there are variations during the day , the hormone T4 takes 3-4 hours for max absorbtion via a normal diet , so at tiimes it is advised not to take it a few hours before a blood test, but T4 works long term it does not have actual swings , goitrogenic food can disrupt its absorbtion soya can too.like coffe and alchol.

The basic job of T4 is to convert to T3 which is what is actually used.

The effects of taking T4 usually take around 2 weeks , when one stops the medication , it takes from 7 to 10 days depending on your metabolism,to clear out.

It is best taken at night for optimal use as this is when your liver is most active too

goodluck
    chessguy

• Advertisement

I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid four months after my baby was born that was a year ago I am on 50mg of eltroxin but feel tired all the time. My gp says my levels are fine

In the last month the soles of my feet have become very sore manly the heels and I find it hard to walk on the them and going up or down stairs is a nightmare. I read somewhere that this might be a symptom of a thyroid issue.

So I suppose what Im asking is has anyone heard of this before, I want to speak to my gp about it but need a bit more info as she tends to dismiss me as my levels are stable (moving gp is not an option)

Hi Magnesium in chelated form Albion patent is a good choice mentioned in my previous article, Magnesium does wonders for muscle aches, many published articles on this,

Solgar do a good Albion patented Magnesium in chelated form. available in Irish Health shops,
    do not use the cheap magnesium oxide , its only good as a laxative.

why are we almosty all short on Magnesium, well no real crop rotation , and the way foods are grown , years ago it was never needed,
    soil is depleted of its natural organic nutrients.And has no time to recover.

regards
    chessguy

She also said that considering where my thyroid is located compared to my feet that there is no way my sore feet are connected to a thyroid issue.
    (

Edellc - RUN away from this doctor- I know you said that changing doctors was not an option but the above statement is laughable.

There is more to treating hypothyroidism than reading a blood test- an at least a basic understanding of how thyroid hormone effects muscles and tissues should be assumed! - Jesus I can't believe that came out of a doctors mouth, it's absolutely incredulous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I have an overactive thyroid, diagnosed about 4 years ago, it really ****ed me up to put it mildly and it was only when i took responsibility of my diet, the amount of stimulants I took and sleep I got that it began to improve.

I am not sure how it works for a hypoactive thyroid but I know from experience that a hyperactive is definitely affected by your lifestyle and the stricter you control your diet and exercise regime the healthier you can be.

Hope you get better or can manage it, it's really one of the worst feelings in the world.

Regarding taking Zinc and Magnesium I found this helped my sleeping pattern a lot, but I took it anyway, in ZMA form. Just be aware that calcium negatively affects zinc absorption so don't take your zinc tablets with a pint of milk :P

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

cltt97 wrote: »
    Edellc,

As Rob said, very common. I used to get really bad repetitive strain injury pain in my wrists, and I also got it on the inside leg part of my ankles, when I get it there it's one of my first signs to know that I'm under-dosed. That together with dry eyes!
    I thought this was just me!! :eek: Dry eyes and sore hands!! Ok so, that answers that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

this is all very technical stuff.
    i went to a prof of endocrinlogy and only advice was to take eltroxine 100mcg every second day and then 150mcg on alternate days.
    same with my twin.
    she has hypo too.
    we have neurodegenerative disorders and i have other complex autoimmune diseases.
    we both are agonisingly tired all the time.
    twin sleeps a lot and just been diagnosed with breast cancer.
    she had a small spot of skin cancer years ago and that has been watched.
    we are suffering without a doubt.
    too many cooks spoil the broth syndrome, as so many consultants trying to work in isolation for our conditions.
    i have never done anything other than pop an eltroxin with my other meds at breakfast and then tried to function.
    ann

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So my TSH is now back down to 2.1 and this resulted in the GP saying everything is fine.

Not entirely convinced that all is well personally, but I'll stick with this a bit longer before going back again. It's still all too new.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

Hi, i too will have to sit down and read all the stuff put here.
    I have primary sjogrens and crohns, ceoliac, raynauds and a movement disorder.
    i am relocating away from where i once lived so all over the place.
    i get a chronic pain in my left calf muscle when very tired and my hands and skin burn like crazy.
    i am due to see a endo but missed the appointment due to upheaval.
    twin is almost asleep all the time with parkinsons but i suspect more so of thyroid.
    my neuro tells both of us that thryoid can do awful things and she referred us for consult.
    i hope i get this under control for self.
    twin is not proactive in her health care so doubt she will.
    but i do want to feel better than this.
    anyone have trouble with their eyes, as in focusing and blurriness etc.
    i do have beginning of cataracts and macular degeneration.
    xann

penderella wrote: »
    chessguy wrote: »

Dear lord Chessguy have you never heard of brain fog??????

Excellent post, it may take me a week to get through it, there is some sound advice in there, i just need to break it down to bite size pieces, baby steps.
    I have being coming around to the idea that a whole life style change is required, that there is no once a day magic pill to sort out my health.

Thanks for the response.
    Ella

@Penderella,absolutely there is no magic pill, it is a lifestye change ,

following food like this

http://www.dietdoctor.com/about

or a paleo style diet, its quite easy.

There are many Published articles which clearly declared a diet change and a little exercise, has massive benefits.

But HEALTH OFFICALS , DOWNGRADED THESE RESULTS,
    they were Concerned people could not adapt to the lifestyle change , and therefore did not recommend it over medication.

And saw it as a failed option.Which may be true (for some) but people should be advised of the options ,
    do your self a big favour and see all the video in the link the food revolution.

so basically should not eat mass produced poor quality food.
    And a little exercise only not too much thats not good either ,

Oh yes too much exercise causes the body stress too..
    as you burn up your reserve "nuggets" too quick.

Especially once you have been diagnosed with a metabolic disorder.

best of luck
    chessguy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

@robinph - as the meds are still new to you, you should be getting tested every 6 weeks until you get to a consistent level, dont let you GP fob you off on this one.

Although the level in Ireland is 3 or 3.5 (depening on lab, some still use 5!) its how you feel that is important.

I do best once I'm under 0.5 which would be considered hyperactive, but for me its normal

Keep with it and trust how your body feels

Wasn't overly happy when the GP basically said "you're fixed now, have another blood test in a year". At least as I'm in and out for blood tests more often anyway with the diabetes I'm sure I can get the nurse to take an extra vial when needed and run a extra test for me. I do need to get used to this for a bit longer yet before I know what is going on though.

It did seem a bit strange how little information they have given me regarding the thyroid considering it's a new lifelong condition. I definitely got more of a "induction" for diabetes, and even for the asthma which isn't even classed as lifelong they spent longer setting me up with everything and making sure it was all OK.

Of what I've seen so far the thyroid treatment is just "pop a pill and get out of here without asking me any questions please".

• Advertisement

Well, so today I had my gastroscopy to see if I'm coeliac... Wasn't as bad as I had thought, but mind you I wouldn't want to have it done on a daily basis!
    I asked if there was any evidence of it and the consultant said no, so that's good news. But he took a few biopsies and I think I have to wait for confirmation, but there was also some gastroenteritis, so now I have to wait and see if something comes back on that (like Heliobacter infection).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ailie

Hi all,

I am new to both boards and hypothyroidism. I came across this thread in a google on hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed just 4 weeks ago and have not been back to the doc yet. I dont know what the result of my blood test was, but have been prescribed a 50mg dose of Eltroxin to be taken 3 days a week, Mon, Wed and Fri. The doctor prescribed 3 months supply. I felt a bit better after 2 weeks of the meds, at least a bit less tired and I had been snoring like an elephant, with a thickened feeling around my neck. This has improved, and my morning headaches have lessened. I still don't feel "normal". I have no sex drive and am like a crazy psycho bitch with mood swings, my boyfriend is being patient but I don't think he really understands fully or knows how to cope. I am only learning about this too so I can understand how he feels. I still feel pretty exhausted and brain foggy, and I have no appetite for life, last Friday I attempted to go out for dinner and drinks with my boyfriend but was so exhausted I ended up in tears at the local and we had to go home. To do anything after work other than potter about the house and watch TV just seems like climbing a mountain.

I am pretty new to this and it sounds like many of you are going through a real nightmare.

My question really is whether I should go back to the doctor sooner rather than later? How long does it take for the hormones to level off with a certain dose of Eltroxin? I don't want to unneccessarily prolong this twilight zone, it seems like I will need a higher dose. Is 6 weeks enough to wait? I feel like I am counting down the days and weeks til I feel better, but I am beginning to realise I am only at the start of a potentially very long road.

I was initially delighted to be diagnosed as at least it meant I wasn't going mad, and there was a solution, but now I am dreading that it isn't as easily solved as I had thought. I don't want to delay!

I really appreciate your help, this thread is fantastic, so informative, although as someone else noted, its hard to swallow with the aul brain fog!

Thanks
    Ailie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Delighted for you Cltt that the coeliac isn't a problem, Helicobacter or gastritis are treatable. How do you feel at the moment? Was the endoscopy very painful?

Had my appointment with Endo last week & he wants to rule out a number of things that could be causing my problems. The first one is wearing a Holter Monitor for 24 hours, which I will be doing on Thursday, in case palps & racing heart are cardiac problem. I must then have tests for coeliac & cortisol. An endoscopy was mentioned in case the bloods are inconclusive & I really don't want to have that! He was a bit puzzled by my problems as an uncontrollable recurrence of hyper after thyroidectomy is not usual apparently. 'Twould happen to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Ailie

welcome to the club!

It takes a full 6 weeks for the Eltroxin to take effect but sometimes the dose isn't sufficient and you will need an upward adjustment to find the right level. Go back for your blood tests after 6 weeks and make sure to get copies of all the results from your doc, including the lab ranges. Then you can keep track of your progress and see where you are when you feel better.

Hang in there as it will take a while to find your level & make the effort to get out and take a bit of exercise & eat well, it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ailie

Hi Wyldwood,

Thanks a million for your advice. Its what I was hoping! Just 2 more weeks then to wait until I can get rechecked. It will be good to know the results then I can further my research too, and see what range I'm in.

I've been eating better since I got the diagnosis, but not much exercise, to be honest its the last thing I want to do, I was hoping that soon I would feel a bit better and then more able to exercise, but now that the evenings are brighter I might find it easier to go for walks in the evening.

It seems like patience is the key here. Hard to be patient when I feel like taking the head off everyone for the most insignificant things. Seriously some days I think it would be better for society in general if I just locked myself in my room!
    Anyway thanks again, I'll keep reading on here and I'll let you know how I get on in a fortnight. Hopefully the more I read the more I'll take in!

Hope you're feeling ok!?

Well hello there,

I've not been around the last week or so, to tired to look at the computer after work.
    About 2 weeks ago i wrote to ENDO asking for his opinion following my last blood test results TSH almost 10, FT3 19.5,ATP over 300 and a lot more, when he saw me in nov he changed my Eltroxin down to 100mg 4 days & 50mg 3 days. he had expected the TSH to be <2, i like it around 0.5. Part of the problems that i encounter, even though all the thyroid function tests are requested the lab in Lourdes hospital just won't do them, and you don't know what they have done until you get the results back, and it changes all the time.
    I rang his clinic on monday to see why he had not responded to my letter, email or fax, YES i am becoming one of THOSE patients :eek: to be told that he had not received any correspondence from me :confused: so while i'm on the phone the PA checks around her vast office 2msq, oh yes we have the letter here. he will review it on Wednesday when he comes in. so today is the day i'll keep you posted. i have not intention of ever seeing this guy again just want to feel like i have got my money's worth (€200 for 12 minutes).

So at the same time i sent a similar letter to GP practice manager, as there are several GP in the practice, all who have been great for family doctor issues. Just wanted to know which one was willing to work with me to find the best plan to restore my health & well being.
    Had a 40 minute very productive visit this morning with GP, very honest said that they have not been trained to treat Hypothyroid in any other way but to prescribe Eltroxin, based on the THS results.
    He had done some home work and said the he would refer me to a specialist (not the dope in the mater) and would be willing to follow any plan that the specialist suggested. That includes NDT or T3 treatments.

GP has referred me to Prof. Chris Thompson Have any of you been to Prof. Chris Thompson in Beaumont, has he used NDT as part of your treatment.
    He seems very well respected in field of Pituitary medicine but cannot see any references to his Thyroid skills.
    Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

On a final note i have started to self medicate with NDT, only since last Saturday, so the first week i am taking 1x60mg, i plan to raise by 30mg this Saturday. so far no reactions of a bad kind, Sleep has come a bit easier & i am not as shattered in the morning. just following the protocol in www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

sorry i rambled on a bit.

Penderella

Hi panderella

If the professor is an endocrinologist then I would say the chances of getting switched to NDT would be slim- wont your GP prescribe it ?

Hi panderella

If the professor is an endocrinologist then I would say the chances of getting switched to NDT would be slim- wont your GP prescribe it ?

No GP won't prescribe, but would be happy to follow the lead if the Endo does.
    The problem is i really like the GPs in our practice, i have asked all the local pharmacists if there are any GPs prescribing NDT and so far they all have said no.

Only thing I'd like to say is to be careful with the NDT and following the STTM protocol, because I think some of the stuff she recommends is outright dangerous. If I had increased my dosage at the speed and amount as recommended in that book I would have probably collapsed. I would very much stick to an increase by no more than 30mg (half a grain) at a time, and no sooner than after 6 weeks each time. One thing to remember is that all those books written by patients are mainly based on their own experiences which doesn't mean that their protocol fits all. Although she has a lot of very useful information and it's a very useful website/book for self-education, I would caution people not to blindly follow what she recommends.

• Advertisement

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Delighted for you Cltt that the coeliac isn't a problem, Helicobacter or gastritis are treatable. How do you feel at the moment? Was the endoscopy very painful?

Thanks Wyldwood! Didn't even suspect that I had gastritis or whatever it is, no symptoms really, but have to wait for the biopsies to find out. The endoscopy was actually not half as bad as I had expected. Everyone was telling me how horrible it is, and I was scared about the swallowing the tube bit as start gagging the minute the toothbrush gets even a mm too far back! But they spray something into your mouth that numbs the back of your throat and it was down so quickly and I did not gag once. I could feel it moving around a bit and there was a bit of discomfort in that, and they also blow air in to get a good look around, and that air of course comes back out! So lots of burping :D. But it was over and done with in about 7 minutes and I hopped off the bed and went straight to work.... Had a bit of a stomach ache the last two days, but then it's not everyday someone takes a couple of junks out of your stomach lining! If I had to do it again I would still not take sedation for it.
    Still think that gluten, or wheat or something in bread does not agree with me though. I've lately noticed that I'm so much stiffer and I have a lot of muscle tightness and I have no other explanation than having gone back on wheat just before X-mas, so I'm going to reduce that right back down again.

I can also totally sympathise with you. I was quite hypothyroid and had palpitations and racing pulse, and had two ECG, which came back as normal as it gets. My theory is that this is a total adrenaline fuelled reaction - the adrenaline in response to the thyroid hormone causing the body stress, like an allergic reaction almost. My GP had never heard of any such thing and neither had my Endo, they were all puzzled. Haven't had a test in a while now, need to go again, hoping that I've gotten a bit nearer the normal range now.... It's a long hard battle this thyroid malark!

Advertisement