Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Welcome to boards anyway! What exactly do you have written down for her due date? When you say the neighbour has a few bulls and does call outs, the bull paid a visit himself? Not that that matters much!

Her pins would have stayed doesnt if they were down for calving so she's not at that stage yet. Hard to say, we normally just leave them be and keep a close eye on them when they get close. I'd be worried if one of ours had dripped all the beastings out though, calf will lose out when he arrives. Is there any way you can get your neighbour with the bulls to look at her? He might be able to give you a better synopsis of the situation as it's impossible to say anything without seeing the cow.

Thanks. 22 of March her due date is wrote down. He bought the bull into the field to the cow when she was estrus/ on heat.

I rang him to see was he around would he call, he called I bought her up from the field he checked her pin bones they haven't dropped yet but he said they could during the night. He felt around to see could he feel the calf kicking couldn't feel anything. She has dropped on the stomach area the bump is not high up than it was. He did worry about the amount of milk she was losing even there tonight it was pouring out of her. My parents used to own a dairy farm, her mother was a dairy cow. We have only 8 cows now keeping the Limousin heifer that calfed Wednesday night as her mother is good cow. He said it be tomorrow morning when she could calf but I think if she doesn't we call the vet he scan her just check. I feel it be better known that everything is ok, just wondering is the calf alive or dead. Sometimes your better not knowing the dates like my uncle. I think it wouldn't worry us but after losing a fine Limousin bull last Monday wasn't even fat but long calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

We would see the milky cows dripping or loosing milk before calving so I wouldn't be too worried about that . Hopefully she will calve overnight but for peace of mind for youself I would call the vet to check her out tomorrow anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    What do ya do if two cars meet then if one can't pull in :confused:
    My ppoint exactly. That must be what they were trying to stop. Either that or whoever put up the sign never drove a car and has no idea how much room they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My ppoint exactly. That must be what they were trying to stop. Either that or whoever put up the sign never drove a car and has no idea how much room they need.

I have no idea why they're there. It's a bog road but there are long stretches where no car will pass another so it's a case of keeping your eyes open and pulling in at a gap to let another by.

They only appeared there about a month ago. The stretch is a couple miles long and signs at both ends. The only thing that changed on the road is that a house on it was purchased as a holiday home by a couple from Dublin who have a flashy land rover. :confused: That's hardly the reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

@hopgirl, the most important thing you need to know is how many days she is in calf? Do ya know the date she was served?
    This racket of she's such and such overdue does nothing but cause confusion, cos different people have different ideas as to what exactly is overdue!
    So tell us the day she was bulled and we'll tell ya exactly when to panic :-)
    Welcome aboard :^)

I know it was in June around the 17th/18th mum has wrote it down but I am in my house now. It is funny years ago when I was growing up they never went by dates went with the flow watched them. I think once they thought one of the dairy cows were over due by 3 weeks started getting worried they had thought they had given her an angus turned out a mistake was made she was given a charolais by the AI and a wrong due date thankfully it was the other way around 3 weeks early, a charolais bull the vet bought her on.
    Thanks for the welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I have no idea why they're there. It's a bog road but there are long stretches where no car will pass another so it's a case of keeping your eyes open and pulling in at a gap to let another by.

They only appeared there about a month ago. The stretch is a couple miles long and signs at both ends. The only thing that changed on the road is that a house on it was purchased as a holiday home by a couple from Dublin who have a flashy land rover. :confused: That's hardly the reason!

Don't worry about it , someone will probably pull in without looking and flatten it shortly anyhow . And then ask themselves how they never saw that there before

moy83 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it , someone will probably pull in without looking and flatten it shortly anyhow . And then ask themselves how they never saw that there before

Probably me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It could be the reason. These Dublin types that drive big flashy jeeps won't be used to our country roads. They might need signs to let them know. Either that or they think us country people are a bit thick and we need signs to let us know and they've arranged for them to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How are they coping with the lack of street lighting, I wonder?!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How are they coping with the lack of street lighting, I wonder?!

I dunno but I'm not asking them with their three doberman's outside in the yard.

Wonder if they knew the crowd very close to them who were growing cannabis in the attic:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

hopgirl wrote: »
    I know it was in June around the 17th/18th mum has wrote it down but I am in my house now. It is funny years ago when I was growing up they never went by dates went with the flow watched them. I think once they thought one of the dairy cows were over due by 3 weeks started getting worried they had thought they had given her an angus turned out a mistake was made she was given a charolais by the AI and a wrong due date thankfully it was the other way around 3 weeks early, a charolais bull the vet bought her on.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I don't bother with dates . When the apple is ripe it will fall and that varies from breed to breed and individual cows. To be honest I think your confusing yourself. Welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

moy83 wrote: »

It may not have been the council that put them up. Could be some farmer that likes to graze the long acre protecting the grass. Our it could be that crowd with the jeep liking 'their' avenue verges kept pristine. They'll be out soon with the ride on cutting them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    It may not have been the council that put them up. Could be some farmer that likes to graze the long acre protecting the grass. Our it could be that crowd with the jeep liking 'their' avenue verges kept pristine. They'll be out soon with the ride on cutting them :D

That's what I thought

Question your local Councillors about it. Don't worry if you have no idea who they are, they will be arriving in your yard soon!
    One of my local fellows appeared last night, as I was under the jeep welding the exhaust. He was less than pleased about shaking my hand, for some reason. When I looked in the mirror, much later, I realised I looked like Father Jack after a particularly bad night out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Question your local Councillors about it. Don't worry if you have no idea who they are, they will be arriving in your yard soon!
    One of my local fellows appeared last night, as I was under the jeep welding the exhaust. He was less than pleased about shaking my hand, for some reason. When I looked in the mirror, much later, I realised I looked like Father Jack after a particularly bad night out. :)

remember going into a shop on way home from mart one day and my hand s were covered in cow s***e for some reason, and a lot more of me too, i handed her a tenner and held my hand out to get change, when she seen my hand she dropped the change from a good height and gave me a look as if i was a peice of s***e, had a good laugh about what she was thinking afterwards :D

simx wrote: »
    remember going into a shop on way home from mart one day and my hand s were covered in cow s***e for some reason, and a lot more of me too, i handed her a tenner and held my hand out to get change, when she seen my hand she dropped the change from a good height and gave me a look as if i was a peice of s***e, had a good laugh about what she was thinking afterwards :D
    She was right :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

golodge wrote: »
    Lets try to quate.

No not working cant see photos

Lets try to quate.

golodge, do you see on the right hand side of the pic the code I've underlined?
    Use this one and they will show up as the actual picture on your post.
    :)

92LbtNpl.jpg

• Advertisement

It says that I can't post pics, because I'm a new user. :(

It says that I can't post pics, because I'm a new user. :(

Oh no! I forgot it takes a certain amount of posts to allow you to do that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

One of my local fellows appeared last night, as I was under the jeep welding the exhaust.

Did you make it better or worse? ! :)

Muckit wrote: »
    Did you make it better or worse? ! :)

Could hardly make it worse, this is what I took off..........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Could hardly make it worse, this is what I took off..........:)

Thats in ****e

I said wrote: »
    Thats in ****e

Yeah, I thought it was getting a bit noisy, all right. Wasn't till I give it to the neighbour and heard how loud it was from outside that I realised how bad it was. Lovely and quiet now, you can hear the rear bearing moaning away again.........:(

Anyone ever change one of them? One fellow advised me easier to change the entire axle rather than try and replace the bearing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Figerty

Calf went missing yesterday. Took a while to find her..she hid herself fairly well.

Figerty wrote: »
    Calf went missing yesterday. Took a while to find her..she hid herself fairly well.

Camouflage 101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Figerty wrote: »

i think we have a new recruit for the army;)

• Advertisement

i think we have a new recruit for the army;)

A cert for a foo or sniper team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement