Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    Drew only about 2 lt of beastings from the mother and that was her dry.

2l of beastings is a great feed for a calf.

I wouldn't give up on the heifer not mothering the calf just yet. Calving can be an awful ordeal for a heifer, when the sickness goes off her she might take to the calf. But shee needs to be left in contact with the calf the whole time or she certainly won't mother her.
    You may have already made up your mind though!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Really? We always take them out.

I didn't think there was any other way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

2l of beastings is a great feed for a calf.

I wouldn't give up on the heifer not mothering the calf just yet. Calving can be an awful ordeal for a heifer, when the sickness goes off her she might take to the calf. But shee needs to be left in contact with the calf the whole time or she certainly won't mother her.
    You may have already made up your mind though!
    We normally get a min of 3 litres into a calf. She wouldn't lick the calf or anything. The calf is in the pen next to her so will give her back later if she'd have her. Was just afraid of pneumonia setting in last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

dh1985 wrote: »
    I didn't think there was any other way

Burn around the bud, hence why the tip of the dehorner is concave, to allow the burn around the bud. It kills the horn but doesn't leave the hole in the calves head which can get infected if not sealed correctly.
    Only way I've ever done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Burn around the bud, hence why the tip of the dehorner is concave, to allow the burn around the bud. It kills the horn but doesn't leave the hole in the calves head which can get infected if not sealed correctly.
    Only way I've ever done it.

Never knew that. Always take the full bud. I wonder why they call it disbudding on the bdp requirements so if there is a less stressful way if doing it. Anyway its a long way ahead of skulling

• Advertisement

Don't think we'll be tempting in any crows today.

gvWdvzPl.jpg

gvWdvzPl.jpg

I think I see your problem there kovu

I think I see your problem there kovu

It's in the wrong spot isn't it. :P

The cat didn't dig the hole into the mink trap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Have a gasbuddex. It uses a small can of gas that you screw into it. Great yoke I find, gets vey hot.

Got one of these recently too. Was using the old type off the drum of gas. Found it took for ever to heat up and lost heat quickly. Got sick of it and bought the gasbuddex one. It gets fair hot alright...and quickly. Have a Teemore crate for dehorning too...great yoke for a one man job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Parishlad wrote: »
    Got one of these recently too. Was using the old type off the drum of gas. Found it took for ever to heat up and lost heat quickly. Got sick of it and bought the gasbuddex one. It gets fair hot alright...and quickly. Have a Teemore crate for dehorning too...great yoke for a one man job.

Ya I wouldn't change it now. Great job and you would do the most of 20 calves to a can of gas that costs a fiver. Our one must have well over 200 done now and never a problem with it. Had a portasol 10 years back maybe and it was forever breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Lads I've a friend here that's one of the top five breeders of Blonde d'Aquitaine cattle in France. Would ye like me to throw up a few photos of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

sheebadog wrote: »
    Lads I've a friend here that's one of the top five breeders of Blonde d'Aquitaine cattle in France. Would ye like me to throw up a few photos of them?

But of course!!

But of course!!

Ok will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

gvWdvzPl.jpg

Safe back stop, where's the problem................?

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Our standards are fairly high on here, if he's in the top 3 bang away :-)

Our standards are fairly high on here, if he's in the top 3 bang away :-)

He has a nice little number going. Bulls to AI and sells heifers all over the globe.
    Was there last week and he was loading heifers off to Martinique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Does a bear **** in the woods ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

moy83 wrote: »
    Does a bear **** in the woods ?

Not if he lives in the zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

3 calves
    1 Hol
    1 BF
    1 Je x
    All bulls, I'll tell yas which makes the most :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

36 bales more than I had anyway, will be all wanted

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    36 bales more than I had anyway, will be all wanted

They all add up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

They all add up

In 2012 I had over 100 made by 3rd week in May, hadn't one left by start October, hope if won't be a repeat

simx wrote: »
    In 2012 I had over 100 made by 3rd week in May, hadn't one left by start October, hope if won't be a repeat

Think good thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Come on Stan! You've been overtaken!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

He has a nice little number going. Bulls to AI and sells heifers all over the globe.
    Was there last week and he was loading heifers off to Martinique.

Do you not mean he was loading heifers for Martinique as in he was getting the funds together to head over there himself. A palce I'd love to go to only ever saw it in the distance.

Do you not mean he was loading heifers for Martinique as in he was getting the funds together to head over there himself. A palce I'd love to go to only ever saw it in the distance.

Sold heifers there.

My personal quad cleaning service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Or your personal wire chewing service !

moy83 wrote: »
    Or your personal wire chewing service !

That too. :) Had to look underneath to see what they were at. They were just licking the dirt under the mudguards.....must be lacking something!

• Advertisement

I'll take two :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement