Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Where are they that's grass in some parts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Ah its a piece of ground we cleared a few years ago and never finished. Needs to be cleared again and a few drains put in

That doesn't look too bad at all. We have 3 acres that has trees and bryers etc. Years since it was grazed regularly. After a bit of nagging it would seem the bossman wants to turn it back to grazing land now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Damo810 wrote: »
    That doesn't look too bad at all. We have 3 acres that has trees and bryers etc. Years since it was grazed regularly. After a bit of nagging it would seem the bossman wants to turn it back to grazing land now!

Nothing to do with red lines on the SFP map, then?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Bought this a few weeks ago, mighty job altogether. Have limo sucklers and can be 6 - 7 weeks before you can DeHorn. Impossible to get them in the crate.

temporary_zpsd0f066c3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Have you used it yet? Keep meaning to price one and get a look at them in action. Might save my shins from getting a battering each time.
    Our current way is to catch them with the rope and restrain them for long enough to burn them and tag them. A good workout if they're over a month old!

• Advertisement

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Have you used it yet? Keep meaning to price one and get a look at them in action. Might save my shins from getting a battering each time.
    Our current way is to catch them with the rope and restrain them for long enough to burn them and tag them. A good workout if they're over a month old!

280 delivered. Good value and have done around 13 with it already. Good steel in it. Less chance of burning yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

A few photos of the sucklers who were released back into the wilderness ;)

13879128625_9c294d7a78.jpg

13879520564_38620ddcc9.jpg

13879181853_24c146236d.jpg

13879127525_a3ba3b78f9.jpg

munkus wrote: »
    280 delivered. Good value and have done around 13 with it already. Good steel in it. Less chance of burning yourself!

Would be very handy. Seeing as I have a nice burn across the back of my hand since Fridays dehorning!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Nothing to do with red lines on the SFP map, then?:D

Nope! It was part of reps, still getting SFP on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Dehorned 14 calves with a neighbour the other day in 20 minutes. No ropes or crate, fill the crush and stick their head out the skulking gate. Never got through them as fast before. I find the crate very slow but you haven't much of a choice if your by yourself.

• Advertisement

I'd say you have great demand for your heifers! Nice cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Some super cows there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

APZ SIMM bull calf .. 296 days .. Might try that Capone on her this year dovea I think

photo_zps02e1cbf5.jpg

Dehorned 14 calves with a neighbour the other day in 20 minutes. No ropes or crate, fill the crush and stick their head out the skulking gate. Never got through them as fast before. I find the crate very slow but you haven't much of a choice if your by yourself.

What's your weapon of choice? I find the portosol great. Edge is so sharp that the bud flies out in a second. They hardly notice it. The old gas barrel one is pure muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

2nd one today. 38 to go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Reggie. wrote: »
    2nd one today. 38 to go.

Was she slow to calve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Was she slow to calve?

I thought it was a dead calf at first and then I saw the 38 more to go before I twigged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

What's your weapon of choice? I find the portosol great. Edge is so sharp that the bud flies out in a second. They hardly notice it. The old gas barrel one is pure muck.

Can't believe there's lads still taking out the bud when dehorning calves, total unnecessary pain for the calves

Was she slow to calve?

No not really in fairness as it's a monster calf and the heifer was only about 360kg I'd say. It took her about 15 mins from the feet showing to on the ground. When we realised it was a big calf we thought she would never have it but she pulled through. Only thing is that she has rejected the calf

No not really in fairness as it's a monster calf and the heifer was only about 360kg I'd say. It took her about 15 mins from the feet showing to on the ground. When we realised it was a big calf we thought she would never have it but she pulled through. Only thing is that she has rejected the calf

Shoite. Better stock up on some calf sized bibs for him.

Heifer was very light, what age was she?

• Advertisement

Can't believe there's lads still taking out the bud when dehorning calves, total unnecessary pain for the calves

We all have our crosses to bear. I'd say 90% of farmers do as it guarantees the horn won't grow.

Shoite. Better stock up on some calf sized bibs for him.

Heifer was very light, what age was she?

About 28 months. Calf is in with the one that calved earlier in the day as she is motherly and has a large bag. Drew only about 2 lt of beastings from the mother and that was her dry.

About 28 months. Calf is in with the one that calved earlier in the day as she is motherly and has a large bag. Drew only about 2 lt of beastings from the mother and that was her dry.

She must be small with that age and weight. Lucky to get a calf that size out of here. May it continue for the rest :)

She must be small with that age and weight. Lucky to get a calf that size out of here. May it continue for the rest :)

Cheers. She was sick last year and never came right after it.

Have a gasbuddex. It uses a small can of gas that you screw into it. Great yoke I find, gets vey hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ah Reggie she couldn't be that weight at 28 months.
    She's surely 500kg.they would make it no bother

Really? We always take them out.

Ah Reggie she couldn't be that weight at 28 months.
    She's surely 500kg.they would make it no bother

I'm telling ya. She looked like a starved jex. That's why we got worried with the calf. She got sick last year and never got the better of it

I'm telling ya. She looked like a starved jex. That's why we got worried with the calf. She got sick last year and never got the better of it

Ye serious?
    Have ye put a weight tape on her.

• Advertisement

Ye serious?
    Have ye put a weight tape on her.

Nope but trust me on this. To look at her at the start she didn't even look like she was in calf let alone have that large heifer in her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement