Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just fyi someone my have crashed the server with 30 odd stacks of tnt, it wasnt me, though i was there to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

I planted quite a bit of TNT just now and the server crashed, apologies , but I have screengrabs and FRAPS footage :) hopefully the server will recover soon.
    Put down around 40 stacks of TNT :)

Sorry to all who can't get on at the moment.

Merc

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

thought 1.6 was supposed to cure the tnt crash? i have to say overall i am not impressed with 1.6 at all. the maps are next to useless and the attempts to cure lag problems have just left it laggier than ever. can anyone remember a week or so back to 1.5?? lag was only imtermittent

edit: intermittent like my ability to spell

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

1.6 was pretty bad.
    As you said, maps are useless and I have found no use at all for trapdoors and the nether, well you go in gets a double chest of netehrrack, soulsand and some glowstone then its all of a sudden, boring

Xenon560 wrote: »
    1.6 was pretty bad.
    As you said, maps are useless and I have found no use at all for trapdoors and the nether, well you go in gets a double chest of netehrrack, soulsand and some glowstone then its all of a sudden, boring

yeah, an hour in the nether was enough for me. only go there as needed now to get glowstone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

wires wrote: »
    thats all well and good but what happens when u need a load of string for wool or a load of arrows for the nether etc and all the community traps have ppl afking in them. i personally dont have my own mob trap, 3 of us use one trap.

this is the nature of minecraft, people are gonna wander, people are gonna build. whats the point in playing if your not gonna build, just accumulating resources gets real boring real quick. so all the arguments from people against wandering and building are pointless and only hindsight.

right, so the server has a problem atm. turns out the map is too big. i say cheery just restricts its size so people can wander and build away as much as they like up to a limit. otherwise, whats the point?

Even groups of 4 or 5 people sharing a trap might help. And at least if one of them stops playing on the server the trap is still being used instead of another hidden trap that will go unused but still may be spawning mobs.

If you look at the map theres lots and lots of vast unused empty spaces and people still seem to think they need to wander out further to build. Wandering may be one of the points of minecraft but if everyone on a server decides to do it, it creates problems. Everything i've built is close enough to the spawn. If i can do it why cant everyone else.

Looking at the map now i can fill my screen with a part of the map that looks to have only one or two small buildings. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

tauruz_ie wrote: »
    Id like to be WL'd thanks
    What's your MC username?

Even groups of 4 or 5 people sharing a trap might help. And at least if one of them stops playing on the server the trap is still being used instead of another hidden trap that will go unused but still may be spawning mobs.

If you look at the map theres lots and lots of vast unused empty spaces and people still seem to think they need to wander out further to build. Wandering may be one of the points of minecraft but if everyone on a server decides to do it, it creates problems. Everything i've built is close enough to the spawn. If i can do it why cant everyone else.

Looking at the map now i can fill my screen with a part of the map that looks to have only one or two small buildings. It's ridiculous.

just FYI traps dont really spawn anything unless there is a player in the area, but your point is valid either way. i often thought it would be good if we got together to build a community trap.

but your missing a point...do u build a house or whatever and then have it open to the public so anyone can use it? no, u have a house which is for u and maybe a few friends. me nim and spiritine spent a LOT of time building the trap out at 5000 5000 and tbh we dont want anyone else in there. why should we do all the work only for others, too lazy to build their own, to sneak in? since so many ppl managed to get save points there we sorta abandoned it and built a new one a lot closer to home and guess what...despite the fact that there is no obvious surface access people are still going in there, some of em are griefing and some are not. they chissel their way around locked doors, remove blocks etc. almost every time i go in there i have to fix something.

also i have only been on this server a short time, maybe 2 months, and this is the first time anyone has said that wandering out into the wilderness will cause the server to crash, it has never been mentioned to me and i have never seen it mentioned on ingame chatbox. now some people are asking why players are wandering all around the place...well doh, cos its human nature and nobody said it caused problems. i havent wandered much, most of what i built is in or around house of nim. so it turns out that it does eventually cause problems, bitching about it after it causes a problem is not constructive. we need to get together and help cherry make it work.

like i said i havent been on this server long but even in my short time here i can see the whole group getting fragmented. blandville was a bit of a group effort with some people there from the start and others just chipping in a bit, was good to see it coming together. would be nice if we came up with a project, something big which we all as a group could work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Personally, I wouldn't have too much of a preference of whether to start a new map or not. Even though we all pretty much spent a lot of time building our own little bits and pieces, once you're done there's not much you can do with them. Since one of the main things to do on the server is to try and build better constructions, it makes sense to be able to start with a blank canvass.

The "If we start again, I'm leaving" argument is a bit silly. The game is in Beta. When it goes gold all servers will start again, regardless. And they may need to start again with the various updates that happen in Beta. Notch mentioned that 1.7 is going to be a big update and it may leave current servers redundant.

Now, even though I've just used the this as a reason why we shouldn't worry about having to start a new map, it's also a reason not to, ie if it's going to happen sooner or later we may as well just wait for that to happen.

If we're staying with this map, then the idea to remove the unused chunks to cut down on the resources needed to keep the map running. But I don't like lumping all this work on Cherryghost. Is there a way to automate it, so little effort is needed?

yeah its a lotta work, the map is now 2.6gb in size. he has to look at each chunk and see if it has anything built in it, also anything which is left alone has to be accessible, i cant imagine how long that would take...a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Savage Beat

It is only human nature to want to explore and set up a homestead in virgin territory. I ended setting up a base way out from spawn but this was before it was ever mentioned that it will crash the server. Whats the point of a have a world as big as this one but then be restricted from going past a border? :confused: Also after a certain point resources will be harder to get now that the caves close to all the towns and villes have been explored.

What about the 'Teleporting' issue. Why have 15 /homes? Seems to me that if you cant TP you sure aint setting up too far from spawn. Imagine having to travel all the way to 5000:5000 on foot/ mine cart every time you died. :) Dying would be a big deal and a disaster. More likely you wouldn't explore teh world or cave crawl on your own. Working with groups would be more likely as to make sure your stuff doesnt get lost.

I have only been on this server about a month but within that time I have built quite alot. The most work went into a mob trap that in 2 weeks allowed Merc and I to accumilate a large chest of TNT. (most was used today:p) But sometimes starting again can be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Is the server down atm? I cant seem to get on. Getting end of stream error

Also after a certain point resources will be harder to get now that the caves close to all the towns and villes have been explored.

yeah where am i supposed to get red roses for mrs_wires now, huh?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

add me please

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Savage Beat

yeah where am i supposed to get red roses for mrs_wires now, huh?:D

Actually now with 1.6 you can use bonemeal on your front garden and poof instant red roses. :)

hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Stokolan wrote: »
    Is the server down atm? I cant seem to get on. Getting end of stream error
    Couldn;t get on since like 3pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Do I need to be whitelisted to get into this server? If so I'd like to apply =)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Cant reboot it at the mo, not on a PC I'm afraid :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NimRodMS

I dont see why everyone needs to have their own personal mob trap either. It'd be a lot easier to have about 4 or 5 of them that are open to everyone rather than having people wandering way out to build their own personal trap.

Yea our trap was at 5000,5000 and it was made to serve 3 or 4 of us. But even though it's so far away, we still can't keep little scumbags from griefing it every day to get in or whatever it is they do there. Take the time to build your own damn traps and stop stealing and people won't have to keep going farther and farther away. This comment isn't directed at you pablo, but just in general.

It gets old replacing blocks/glass/etc every day because people can't leave things alone. I'd welcome a mod that set up towns and wouldn't allow people to break blocks unless they were meant to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

also i have only been on this server a short time, maybe 2 months, and this is the first time anyone has said that wandering out into the wilderness will cause the server to crash, it has never been mentioned to me and i have never seen it mentioned on ingame chatbox.
    I think I'll stop you there.
    I had specifically criticized your group going out very far, as I remember cherry having to add RAM and I brought that up.

The result?
    Nim and spiritine taking the piss out of me and saying they should go way far out and making the great wall of china.

Not very funny now that they realize the problem is it?

you never said that to me, dont remember ever reading that on chat. but then most people take what u say as crap anyways, i try to ignore it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

but your missing a point...do u build a house or whatever and then have it open to the public so anyone can use it? no, u have a house which is for u and maybe a few friends. me nim and spiritine spent a LOT of time building the trap out at 5000 5000 and tbh we dont want anyone else in there. why should we do all the work only for others, too lazy to build their own, to sneak in? since so many ppl managed to get save points there we sorta abandoned it and built a new one a lot closer to home and guess what...despite the fact that there is no obvious surface access people are still going in there, some of em are griefing and some are not. they chissel their way around locked doors, remove blocks etc. almost every time i go in there i have to fix something.

also i have only been on this server a short time, maybe 2 months, and this is the first time anyone has said that wandering out into the wilderness will cause the server to crash, it has never been mentioned to me and i have never seen it mentioned on ingame chatbox. now some people are asking why players are wandering all around the place...well doh, cos its human nature and nobody said it caused problems. i havent wandered much, most of what i built is in or around house of nim. so it turns out that it does eventually cause problems, bitching about it after it causes a problem is not constructive. we need to get together and help cherry make it work.

like i said i havent been on this server long but even in my short time here i can see the whole group getting fragmented. blandville was a bit of a group effort with some people there from the start and others just chipping in a bit, was good to see it coming together. would be nice if we came up with a project, something big which we all as a group could work on.

I can understand the frustration with the traps. I dont know if the plugin that allows you to lock doors is still active but it would provide something of a solution in that you could build an underground mob trap underneath your house/castle etc and lock all the doors that lead into it. If anyne breaks in to steal stuff an instant ban.

Im pretty sure it was mentioned in the thread previously that the server would'nt be able to handle an extremely large map but i think it was near the beginning of the thread so you probably didnt see.

And i fully agree with your last point. I've been on the server from the first day and the community has gotten fragmented since then. We all worked together to build the spawn town at the start but since then everyone goes and does their own thing and we've seen cliques developing as a result (and unfortunately people sniping and insulting each other behind their backs, not mentioning any names but a few people have been doing it and its making things worse). I think the Towny mod would help develop a bit of community spirit on the server.

well, the doors have blocks all around them that can be broken, which is happening all the time. problem is there doesnt seem to be any way of seeing who it was usless ur there. thankfully it hasnt been any serious griefing, just loads of small stuff that starts to build up till u just wanna go way the **** out in the middle of nowhere to build. its not just me btw, before he gets in there...airbiscuit had some tnt placed in his house which is not on and unfortunatly his hasnt found out yet who done it.

edit: btw u any ideas on a community project? there doesnt seem to be too many people still living in town so maybe redevelopement of that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

but then most people take what u say as crap anyways
    3 people isn't most.

tis when its more than 3 mate

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Oh you two with ur bickering :)

One thing is, if you build far out to stop people griefing your mob trap and all, why do you make an easily accesible minecart track to it? Not saying griefing is ok, but that is one way to encourage the idiots.

Also, I too have noticed other bits of griefing here and there. I am still not sure whether what was heppning with my house was griefing or not, but it seemed like it.

well we built it cos it being a 22 minute cart ride u can imagine how long it takes to walk it (just in case tp positions got reset) and partly just for the fun of it. it actually wasnt accessible at first, the start was hidden behind a wall in nims gatehouse but someone broke into it

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

well we built it cos it being a 22 minute cart ride u can imagine how long it takes to walk it (just in case tp positions got reset) and partly just for the fun of it. it actually wasnt accessible at first, the start was hidden behind a wall in nims gatehouse but someone broke into it
    I'm not siding with anyone here, but I found out about it when you guys told everyone.

Or do you mean before it because public knowledge, and you just thought "Ahh screw it, everyone will find out sooner or later".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Is there a mod for removing peoples names above their heads?
    Thought it'd be a cool mod if we were doing towny and battling against eachother to allow people to sneak around to attack :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement