Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Server [Survival][Whitelist][iZone][1.6.6][Google Maps]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭wires

is it definitly the size of the map causing the issues? lag was intermittent with 1.5 but as soon as we went 1.6 its constant with random chunks missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I'm having a lot of trouble connecting. Also, a new map? Bit iffy about that.
    There's always worledit to take our places with us.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NimRodMS

I'm totally against a new map because of the time that went into building some things. If the server gets reset, I'm done.

As for exploring, I'd say that it's the nature of playing a game with resources such as clay and pumpkins (in my case). If the world were restricted and a new town was built, I'd come on and build my 10x10 townhouse and then why exactly would I still be active on the server? What incentive would there be to come on? There's not pvp....so there would be nothing to do.

On an unrelated note...I see botulism on. I see that you have something in common with our good friend iAir:

botulismlol.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye I was considering that! OR take the server down for 2/3 hours and remove unused chunks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

A thread to discuss the prospect of a new map?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Aye I was considering that! OR take the server down for 2/3 hours and remove unused chunks
    Well the server's been down for a while now anyway, so I say go ahead :P

Also, Botulism is iAir.

i would say that given cherry has to do most of the work the decision is up to him, dont think he wants to rebuild everything either.

I asked wires if it was air but I recall seeing a person named botulism on the server. So......2 accounts?

Also, Botulism is iAir.
    This.
    /derp

EDIT: I wonder, could we start the new town on another port, like the URL picture map was?

Botulism wrote: »
    This.
    /derp

EDIT: I wonder, could we start the new town on another port, like the URL picture map was?

That would be ummmm...starting over....and on the same server at that. Twice the load

//derp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well there's multiple options to this point:

1. New server on the same box, with world size limits added
    2. New server on a more powerful (to be paid) box, with world size limits added
    3. Migrate the current server to a more powerful box, with world size limits added
    4. Take the server down for a few hours and attempt to delete chunks, with world size limits added
    5. Leave it as it is

Well there's multiple options to this point:

1. New server on the same box, with world size limits added
    2. New server on a more powerful (to be paid) box, with world size limits added
    3. Migrate the current server to a more powerful box, with world size limits added
    4. Take the server down for a few hours and attempt to delete chunks, with world size limits added
    5. Leave it as it is
    Option 1 sounds good.
    But how can you limit the world size?

By the way, while everyone is here. Why is it that you can be caught hacking on the server and then abuse admin controls by muting 3 users (by the way, did you hack to access that command?) and you're not banned????

There's a plugin that basically puts a border on the server that you cannot walk beyond.

And @Nim, I've already warned Air about it, from that point onwards any command not reported and instead abused will result in a temporary ban on the server

I'm on for #1 or #4!

just out of interest, what sort of size we talking about?

wires wrote: »
    just out of interest, what sort of size we talking about?

Limit wise or current server wise? I'm just investigating the current server state as it is

NimRodMS wrote: »
    By the way, while everyone is here. Why is it that you can be caught hacking on the server and then abuse admin controls by muting 3 users (by the way, did you hack to access that command?) and you're not banned????
    Listen for once:

ALL the commands I ever used, I FOUND BY TYPING /HELP. If the settings weren't broken at the time, it wouldn't have happened.

And by the way, where is the word "hacking" coming from? Hacking it would mean I could kill/kick/ban/stop the server.

If you look at the google maps of the server people go stupid ammounts out of the way just to build, when theres plenty of good land still left near the spawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I'd like a new map. Less mods too (ideally only protection of chests and some worldsize limit). And no skywalks.

I don't wanna lose what I already have but at the same time, I've gotten kinda bored of it seeing as I have pretty much all of every resource I'd want and need. I appreciate that's a very individual view since not everyone else joined at the same time or has developed their resource base etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Theres big massive empty patches on the map and yet people are wandering way out for seemingly no reason.

Is there any way to set limits on the current map or would it need to be done on a new map?

Theres big massive empty patches on the map and yet people are wandering way out for seemingly no reason.

Is there any way to set limits on the current map or would it need to be done on a new map?
    If a limit was set on the current, you can guarantee people will complain that they have houses out past it

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Is it not possible to save the map we have now, switch to a new one for a couple weeks then take a vote to stay or change back to the current one we have now?

Xenon560 wrote: »
    Is it not possible to save the map we have now, switch to a new one for a couple weeks then take a vote to stay or change back to the current one we have now?

This wouldn't be a bad idea either. I dont like the idea of deleting the current map because a lot of work has been put in by a lot of people and it would be a shame to get rid of it.

At least if we can have a copy backed up somewhere we could at least try a new map with limits in place and see how it works out with the security of knowing that we can still go back to the old map if the new one doesnt work out.

Call it a weeklong event :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zantergog

Ok everyone knows that people steal from others Mob traps, the twin towers being an example, so it makes sense to build a mob trap/complex somewhere where you wont be discovered. Building out in the wilds is the best way to do this. On other servers I have seen a mod that allows you to /claim an area. This prevents griefing as only you (or named) can build/destroy in that area. This does introduce other problems but might be worth thinking about. A limited world map seems sensible if the server is struggling. However, a lot of work has been put into building . Wiping it all seems stupid. You will loose a lot of players.

I dont see why everyone needs to have their own personal mob trap either. It'd be a lot easier to have about 4 or 5 of them that are open to everyone rather than having people wandering way out to build their own personal trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tauruz_ie

Id like to be WL'd thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mobs traps are pretty damn easy to build underground, whats the obsession with building them above ground?

• Advertisement

I dont see why everyone needs to have their own personal mob trap either. It'd be a lot easier to have about 4 or 5 of them that are open to everyone rather than having people wandering way out to build their own personal trap.

thats all well and good but what happens when u need a load of string for wool or a load of arrows for the nether etc and all the community traps have ppl afking in them. i personally dont have my own mob trap, 3 of us use one trap.

this is the nature of minecraft, people are gonna wander, people are gonna build. whats the point in playing if your not gonna build, just accumulating resources gets real boring real quick. so all the arguments from people against wandering and building are pointless and only hindsight.

right, so the server has a problem atm. turns out the map is too big. i say cheery just restricts its size so people can wander and build away as much as they like up to a limit. otherwise, whats the point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement