Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I have 3 x 3TB in mine + standard 350GB for the OS, no bios mod needed thank god!
    I have my OS running off a flash stick on the internal USB slot. I'm running UnRAID though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I have the below setup:

2 x 2GB DDR3 - {Planning on upgrade to 2 x 8GB soon}

4 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 - In Drive-Tray
    1 x 250Gb WD Caviar - In DVD Slot
    2 x 1TB Seagate - Connected via eSATA
    2 x 1TB Buffalo Rugged USB - via Back USB ports
    1 x 32GB USB - Internal Port with OS

But I am using the BIOS mod to get the full speed out of all the drives and added features.
    qwertz wrote: »
    I read an article/tutorial where some crazy guy fit in eight hard disks. An additional controller was required, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Remouad wrote: »
    I know you can do a bios mod that will allow you to have larger harddrives. Don't remember how big you can go but can definitely do 3TB

Where did he find the space???? :eek:

Might be cheaper and easier to just buy a second server.
    Only £202 on amazon now so that would be £102 after the cash back!!
    Very tempted to buy a second one at that price.

not sure that supplier is accepted for cash back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

cashback extended till end of Nov
    http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/nov12/microserver-120-cb.pdf

edit: available at hpshop.IE (if that makes any difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How quiet are these servers ?
    I was planning on putting this or a Dell Fx160 (fanless) in the kitchen beside the router ,I want something small and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The fans are definitely noticeable. I moved it out of my sitting room for that reason. You could probably replace the included ones to quiet things down. I do remember reading that earlier versions of the server were quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

zuroph wrote: »
    not sure that supplier is accepted for cash back

Pretty sure it is. You can ask ballooba for confirmation.
    ballooba wrote: »
    I haven't had an opportunity to post on this, but I got confirmation on Friday that I had been approved for UK cashback. I bought off Amazon UK.

Remouad wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is. You can ask ballooba for confirmation.
    I bought directly from Amazon, not Amazon marketplace. I'm pretty sure that seller is not eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

ballooba wrote: »
    I bought directly from Amazon, not Amazon marketplace. I'm pretty sure that seller is not eligible.

Ahhh bugger.
    I sit corrected!:)

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_ProLiant_N40L_1P_2GB-U_Emb_SATA_NHP_250GB_LFF_150W_PS_Mi_658553-421/version.asp?refsource=sdawin&affid=78888 one of the cheapest for reseller i've found. BEWARE, price is ex vat.

also, these guys are approved on fatcheese.ie, so go through there first for some cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭PCDub

I have the below setup:

2 x 2GB DDR3 - {Planning on upgrade to 2 x 8GB }

Max is 8gb I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭wandererz

markas wrote: »
    cashback extended till end of Nov
    http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/nov12/microserver-120-cb.pdf

edit: available at hpshop.IE (if that makes any difference)

So €110 at hpshop.ie after cashback?
    That's better than the last one i bought.

wandererz wrote: »

ex vat price?

ex vat price?

ah yes, just noticed that. So one would pay €164. Same as i paid 14 months ago.

Still not bad. For that price i may get another one of these and run the work test VMs off it and also use it to backup the photographs and videos off the other unit.

Now there's a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_ProLiant_N40L_1P_2GB-U_Emb_SATA_NHP_250GB_LFF_150W_PS_Mi_658553-421/version.asp?refsource=sdawin&affid=78888 one of the cheapest for reseller i've found. BEWARE, price is ex vat.

also, these guys are approved on fatcheese.ie, so go through there first for some cashback.

It was mentioned a few pages back that in order to qualify for the cash back, you need to do the purchase in Ireland and then claim here. If I buy from UK, would I still be able to claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

wandererz wrote: »

120e off so 165, i'm ordering from hpshop. Ie tonight, hopefully i can collect from ballymount tomorrow
    Its much the same end price as ordering and waiting from UK imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Looking to get 2X4GB RAM for this.
    Can someone point me to some that will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

garlad wrote: »

Just use the crucial.com memory search, hp proliant microserver n40L

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Just use the crucial.com memory search, hp proliant microserver n40L

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Hi,
    Does Anyone Know Whether These Can Be Used As A Simple Server (Without Raid) Or Are You Forced To Use Raid?

(My Caps Button Is Gone Mad!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 p4xel

Hi,
    Does Anyone Know Whether These Can Be Used As A Simple Server (Without Raid) Or Are You Forced To Use Raid?

(My Caps Button Is Gone Mad!!).

You can use drives as stand-alone in AHCI mode.

gone up on hpshop :(

Got my euro cheque during the week. Aib charged 5 euro to bank it. 10 day wait for it to clear.

If I buy from servers direct in the UK, do I need to submit the UK cashback form, and is there any issue with sending that if my address is in Ireland? What if I got delviered via Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you might want to double check the size of the box it comes in to make sure it's not too big for parcel motel to handle.

i wanted to order something from the UK for the chizzler for xmas, but it was too big. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I'd say you'll have no problem getting it delivered to Parcel Motel, just that you'll be charged more and collection has to be done at their depot.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you might want to double check the size of the box it comes in to make sure it's not too big for parcel motel to handle.

i wanted to order something from the UK for the chizzler for xmas, but it was too big. :(
    If it is too big then you pickup from warehouse. Not sure of options for those not in Dublin. I bought from Amazon UK to my parcel motel and picked up from Finglas. I submitted UK cashback form thinking it would be worth more, but hadn't considered bank fees. Then I changed it to euro cheque.but still got charged fees.

garlad wrote: »

You can also get Non-ECC which is cheaper:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT51264BD1339

parcel motel will let me pick up at their depot in Limerick. Any ideas on weight of whole package? I presume its well under the 25kg, so would still only be 3.50.
    so When I submit the UK cashback form, I can request a eurocheque? or is it just the £100 and I change it elsewhere? much cheaper to order from UK now

• Advertisement

parcel motel will let me pick up at their depot in Limerick. Any ideas on weight of whole package? I presume its well under the 25kg, so would still only be 3.50.
    so When I submit the UK cashback form, I can request a eurocheque? or is it just the £100 and I change it elsewhere? much cheaper to order from UK now
    It was still 3.50 I think, it was one of my first packages so no fee. Well under 25 kg AFAIK. I got a cheque denominated in euros from HPs agents.

Advertisement