Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

zuroph wrote: »
    I ordered from servers direct in uk, quite cheap, and the cashback application is on its way. delivered via parcel motel, and ordered via fatcheese.ie for a little more cashback

Is parcel motel necessary to get the cashback offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Not as far as I'm aware, was just slightly cheaper to deliver and easier for me to collect, as an post depot is across town from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads just wondering if the uk vouchers work in Ireland in Euros? Probably a broken record on this forum but can't find any Euro versions of the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭intro

I emailed the UK administrators of the cash back scheme asking: Hi,

I see there is a €120 cashback on the above product.

Can i claim this if I purchase the item from a supplier in the UK if Iam residing in Ireland?

Best regards

REPLY:

Hi

Provided it is a HP UK Preferred Partner then you can. You would just need to let us know if you would require the cash back in Pounds or Euro’s .

I have attached the Irish Claim form for you.

Kind Regards

Alison Birchwhite

Outbound Field Marketing Services Ltd

Waterloo House, Riseley Business Park

Basingstoke Road

Riseley

Berkshire

RG7 1NW

Tel: 0845 634 4070

Fax: 0845 634 4071

The form she attached said it had to be bought in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kdceddj

I'm confused... if we buy the N40L from eBuyer will we be entitled for the cashback?
    Do we have to go through NI Parcelmotel or not? :confused:

I mailed them on mine, bought from uk site, delivered via parcel motel, and got the cheque in euro for €120 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Beware that even though it's a Euro check, you still need to go to the FX counter, at least in AIB. And there is a fee for cashing the cheque, as well as taking longer to clear. All because it's drawn on HSBC UK.

my cheque cleared instantly in ulster bank with no charge that I can see, its in my account now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jesus thats a good deal ! The Dutch Promotion was only 35 euro back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

€282 including delivery here...
    http://www.hpshop.ie/products.asp?partno=660015R-295

Assuming the rebate works here that should be €160. That's what I paid about a year ago from Elara. Fantastic little box for playing around it. I'm almost tempted to get another.

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ixtlan wrote: »

Assuming the rebate works here that should be €160. That's what I paid about a year ago from Elara. Fantastic little box for playing around it. I'm almost tempted to get another.

Ix

Has to be a UK Distributor does it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

ixtlan wrote: »

Ix

RFRBD = Refurbished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Has to be a UK Distributor does it not ?

Right lads.

If you use the sterling form you need a uk provider.

If you use the Euro form (linked a couple of posts back) you need an irish provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Anywhere still selling one? Finally have the money to order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ebuyer have it still, price has gone way up though

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Price is £260 + £10 delivery to NI (you need to use parcel motel, they dont ship to Ireland). Price was only £210 i think when i ordered last week!

I almost think you should wait, HP have a habit of extending this offer!

If you do want to go ahead with it, use google checkout with ebuyer, they will reject credit cards directly and paypal wont have be a verified delivery address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

GaryCocs wrote: »

Right lads.

If you use the sterling form you need a uk provider.

If you use the Euro form (linked a couple of posts back) you need an irish provider.
    Not true. I used Amazon UK and was offered a choice of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭PCDub

Anywhere still selling one? Finally have the money to order one.

I've one I powered up twice. Upgraded to 8gb ram, would let it go for 190 if there's any interest.

For anyone looking to turn this into a home server im going to document what im setting up on a blog (mainly so I'll remember what I did!). There is not much there at the moment but I'll be setting some more stuff up over the weekend

Ebuyer have it still, price has gone way up though

http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421

Price is £260 + £10 delivery to NI (you need to use parcel motel, they dont ship to Ireland). Price was only £210 i think when i ordered last week!

I almost think you should wait, HP have a habit of extending this offer!

If you do want to go ahead with it, use google checkout with ebuyer, they will reject credit cards directly and paypal wont have be a verified delivery address
    I think I'll build my own at this stage, will have to think about it, although it's actually surprisingly cheaper than I thought it would be for the thing without any drives (Came up with one that cost €160, if anyone wants the build just ask).
    PCDub wrote: »
    I've one I powered up twice. Upgraded to 8gb ram, would let it go for 190 if there's any interest.
    I'll let you know when I have decided what to do.

• Advertisement

I think I'll build my own at this stage, will have to think about it, although it's actually surprisingly cheaper than I thought it would be for the thing without any drives (Came up with one that cost €160, if anyone wants the build just ask).

I'll let you know when I have decided what to do.

Im not sure to be honest. I was looking to build one too (as I have already built an atom based one before) and with tax back I definitly would not beat it price wise (or at least for as good of a solution). I Would be interested in hearing your build.

There is a a low powered AMD ITX board on Amazon for about £65 that has 6 sata ports (so im now at over half my "budget" as the n40l is costing me £120).

The case and power supply were my biggest problem, I could get stuff for cheap (£25 kinda price) but I was pretty worried that the PSU would be horribly in-efficient as this machine is planned to be left on all the time this was kind of important. A decent psu was costing me £30 + another £25 for a case.

So that left me at £120 (the price of the N40l) and I haven't bought ram or a hard drive. Now I know I will be buying storage drives anyways, buts handy to have a drive just for OS etc.

Im not sure to be honest. I was looking to build one too (as I have already built an atom based one before) and with tax back I definitly would not beat it price wise (or at least for as good of a solution). I Would be interested in hearing your build.

There is a a low powered AMD ITX board on Amazon for about £65 that has 6 sata ports (so im now at over half my "budget" as the n40l is costing me £120).

The case and power supply were my biggest problem, I could get stuff for cheap (£25 kinda price) but I was pretty worried that the PSU would be horribly in-efficient as this machine is planned to be left on all the time this was kind of important. A decent psu was costing me £30 + another £25 for a case.

So that left me at £120 (the price of the N40l) and I haven't bought ram or a hard drive. Now I know I will be buying storage drives anyways, buts handy to have a drive just for OS etc.
    I didn't consider the PSU, it probably would end up costing more long term than the Proliant. I also found out that the Proliant's CPU is more powerful than the one I selected, so I think I'll go ahead with it some time this weeked or even follow up PCDub on his offer (if I can haggle him down a bit;))

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Got mine set up last week. Added an extra 4gb ram, a hd5450 gfx card and a Samsung 840 ssd boot drive. It performs well but I must say I'm very disappointed in noise levels. The main system fan at the back is very loud. Definitely seems more suited to out of sight file server work than under the tv htpc.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

tibor wrote: »
    Got mine set up last week. Added an extra 4gb ram, a hd5450 gfx card and a Samsung 840 ssd boot drive. It performs well but I must say I'm very disappointed in noise levels. The main system fan at the back is very loud. Definitely seems more suited to out of sight file server work than under the tv htpc.

I have the 512mb Raspberry PI linking the HP to the TV. 0 noise and only a slight issue with buffering on some 1080p movies, but that maybe due to my SMB file system. Plays 3D SBS 1080 with no problem. Maybe resell the RAM and GPU to pay for the PI

Well, didn't get a response from PCDub, so I think I might spend a bit more and build an mITX system with a Celeron G1620, it'll cost more, but as I want it transcoding media for a few machines around the house, the extra power will be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I ended up buying one from www.misco.ie (it's shipped from the UK) - €345.61 delivered including 64.59 VAT (which I can claim back as my company bought it) so the overall net price is well below €200 for a great little machine. I've bought some RAM as well for it, just waiting to pick up some 3TB drives and I'll have a decent file server on my hands. I put Windows 2012 Foundations server on it, seems to hum along nicely with that.

I got an email today saying my cashback claim was approved - any idea how long it takes for the cheque to arrive?

Yakuza wrote: »
    I ended up buying one from www.misco.ie (it's shipped from the UK) - €345.61 delivered including 64.59 VAT (which I can claim back as my company bought it) so the overall net price is well below €200 for a great little machine. I've bought some RAM as well for it, just waiting to pick up some 3TB drives and I'll have a decent file server on my hands. I put Windows 2012 Foundations server on it, seems to hum along nicely with that.

I got an email today saying my cashback claim was approved - any idea how long it takes for the cheque to arrive?

Make sure to install the custom bios floating about for it (I'll dig it out later if i think of it) It enables hot swapping of the drives.

I have mine set up with a 3TB a 1TB and the 250gb that came with it. It is a little loud for under the TV i'd say. Absolutely beautiful case for a small server though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Make sure to install the custom bios floating about for it (I'll dig it out later if i think of it) It enables hot swapping of the drives.

I have mine set up with a 3TB a 1TB and the 250gb that came with it. It is a little loud for under the TV i'd say. Absolutely beautiful case for a small server though

I'm going to get 3 3TB drives and knock up a storage pool with W2012, I doubt I'll be hot-swapping the drives but if you could post a link to the bios that would be great; I might as well have the option.

Noise isn't really an issue as I have it the back room (that we don't tend to use that often), it'll be just serving files over a gigabit LAN to one of the devices connected to the TV in the front room. Having said that, it is fairly quiet (but I'll reserve judgement on how loud it is when there are 4 drives in the bay instead of one).

Sure. Here is the guide i used. Skip to the part where it says critical path check list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

This is back at a bargain €120 after cashback for the N54L model.

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-proliant-microserver-turion-2-2-2gb-250gb-nhpl-sata-lff-in-704941-421

I was waiting for a deal on the N54, and the best I could find 2 weeks ago was €360 + €55 cashback, so I got one in Germany for €230+postage, but with no cashback. Boy am I sick I didn't wait.

Advertisement