Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Just got a reply from dabs.
    Thank you for your email regarding an item on our website.

Due to the constant changing of prices on certain items at the moment, it is possible that the advertised price may not have been updated to reflect the current selling price of the item.

Therefore we would always advise as per our terms and conditions, the correct price will always bee shown at the Checkout and every effort will be made to ensure that the advertised price is updated as soon as possible.

I am sorry for any confusion and for any inconvenience you have experienced as a result of the delay in our site updating.
    Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Would it be suitable as HTPC? Noisy? What are the video/sound abilities? I could figure out it only has VGA connector, and some low specs video adapter (shared memory).
    Will it run linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

I don't consider it suitable for HTPC. Actually, HTPC are so 2000s.

I use it as a NAS upstairs in my study, running NFS/SMB/Mysql. I then have some XBMC 'thin clients' around the house to do HTPC work - an AppleTV, MacMini and RaspberryPi, which all get their media metadata from the one MySQL instance, and all the media over SMB. Though, you will have to build/buy an IR reciever for your RPi, unless you want to use an Android/iPhone as the remote for it.

Coolest thing is if you pause a movie, XBMC remembers where you paused it, so you can resume watching from another device (even an iPad!).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Will it run linux?
    Yup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

Thank you! Will check other solutions...
    valen wrote: »
    Actually, HTPC are so 2000s.
    What is instead of them, these days??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

valen wrote: »
    I don't consider it suitable for HTPC. Actually, HTPC are so 2000s.

I use it as a NAS upstairs in my study, running NFS/SMB/Mysql. I then have some XBMC 'thin clients' around the house to do HTPC work - an AppleTV, MacMini and RaspberryPi, which all get their media metadata from the one MySQL instance, and all the media over SMB. Though, you will have to build/buy an IR reciever for your RPi, unless you want to use an Android/iPhone as the remote for it.

Coolest thing is if you pause a movie, XBMC remembers where you paused it, so you can resume watching from another device (even an iPad!).

I'd love to set up mine like this.
    Was it difficult to set up?
    Do you have a guide or some handy links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Been keeping an eye on this recently and I think it's just hit the best price yet or at least on par with the price at the start of this thread.

Currently €260.98 Inc VAT from hpshop + €10 delivery - €120 cashback = €150.98

I missed out on it last time but might go for this now. Only worry is that the cashback offer ends on August 31st and it mentions on the terms that it needs to be invoiced and delivered before then so might be screwed if it dosen't come by Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭wandererz

Redisle wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on this recently and I think it's just hit the best price yet or at least on par with the price at the start of this thread.

I missed out on it last time but might go for this now. Only worry is that the cashback offer ends on August 31st and it mentions on the terms that it needs to be invoiced and delivered before then so might be screwed if it dosen't come by Friday!

Too bad you're not around Dublin. They seem to offer collection from Ballymount.

Depends though if it's in stock i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭webels

As per hotukdeals the price has dropped again

http://www.buy-hp.com/data-storage/storage-servers-8/hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-1p-2gb-u-emb-sata-nhp-250gb-lff-150w-ps-microserver.html

£192.29 - £100 cashback.
    From a quick read of the shipping they seem to offer international shipping - dont know cost though

Link to hotukdeals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-200-09-delivered-buy-hp-100-09-after-hp-cashback-1297990

It looks like you need an invoice dated before August 31st to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Guys,
    Whats the story with these? I have my htpc set up upstairs running 24/7 and was thinking of getting one of these to have all my media on and only turning on the htpc when im up there.Surely this would be easier on esb.Have a pi running xbmc and will be getting another for the sitting roomto stream from this.I read all about freenas and whs and am undecided which to use.
    Thanks for the help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Im at the checkout stage of ordering this but not sure what it actually does :-)
    I can collect in Ballymount so I should be ok for the cashback.
    Can someone tell me in idiot proof terms what is so good about this product.
    I have 2 pc's at home, a media player and about about 3tb's of files spread out amongst them.
    Someone gimme a haklf decent reason to buy this.
    I can see myself playing with this for hours on end if I get it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

webels wrote: »
    As per hotukdeals the price has dropped again

http://www.buy-hp.com/data-storage/storage-servers-8/hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-1p-2gb-u-emb-sata-nhp-250gb-lff-150w-ps-microserver.html

£192.29 - £100 cashback.
    From a quick read of the shipping they seem to offer international shipping - dont know cost though

Link to hotukdeals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-200-09-delivered-buy-hp-100-09-after-hp-cashback-1297990

It looks like you need an invoice dated before August 31st to work

Don't think we can order from the UK sites then claim the cashback. This has already been discussed.. it has to be from an Irish supplier for the Irish cashback I believe! Shame because it is working out way cheaper for the UK at the moment. I have ordered one anyway, expecting it today or tomorrow.
    Redriddick wrote: »
    Guys,
    Whats the story with these? I have my htpc set up upstairs running 24/7 and was thinking of getting one of these to have all my media on and only turning on the htpc when im up there.Surely this would be easier on esb.Have a pi running xbmc and will be getting another for the sitting roomto stream from this.I read all about freenas and whs and am undecided which to use.
    Thanks for the help!!

Yes.. these servers are reasonably good on power compared to running on old PC 24/7.. read back through the thread for some good ideas.. freenas is an option or you could just get a standard linux distro and setup/manage samba using webmin for example.. or use something like amahi.. tons of options really.

WHS has been discontinued and they removed DriveExtender in the lastest release which annoyed a lot of people..It is still an option however. Good article here.

If you really want to save power you could configure the server to use low power states and then configure your media centre to send a WOL (Wake-On-Lan) packet to the server to wake it up when you need to access it.
    iggy wrote: »
    Im at the checkout stage of ordering this but not sure what it actually does :-)
    I can collect in Ballymount so I should be ok for the cashback.
    Can someone tell me in idiot proof terms what is so good about this product.
    I have 2 pc's at home, a media player and about about 3tb's of files spread out amongst them.
    Someone gimme a haklf decent reason to buy this.
    I can see myself playing with this for hours on end if I get it.

Cheers

Having a file server in the house is a really handy thing when you are used to it. Put all those 3tb's of files on the server and share them out using samba and you have easy read/write access to all your files from all your computers and devices.

Then set it up as a downloading box, you could run a torrent client and/or a usenet client on the server and access a web-gui through your web browser from any machine in the house to put things downloading..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

sudaltsov wrote: »
    Would it be suitable as HTPC? Noisy? What are the video/sound abilities? I could figure out it only has VGA connector, and some low specs video adapter (shared memory).
    Will it run linux?

I find it to be quite good as a HTPC. The main issue out of the box is that it does not have sound(I just used a USB adapter).

It's not very noisy when it's running, you notice it but it blends into the background.

I bought this card and it's perfect now, video and audio running over hdmi. Bit of a tight squeeze installing it but running very well. It's the 5450, I saw it recommended in a few places for the N36L. http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100292DDR3L/dp/B004N3BH0C/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Having a file server in the house is a really handy thing when you are used to it. Put all those 3tb's of files on the server and share them out using samba and you have easy read/write access to all your files from all your computers and devices.

Then set it up as a downloading box, you could run a torrent client and/or a usenet client on the server and access a web-gui through your web browser from any machine in the house to put things downloading..
    not to mention you can set it up so that you can access stuff stored on it from the internet when you're out and about, either via a PC or mobile phone to grab essential files from your home server as and when needed, no matter where you might be, as well as kicking off downloads to the server (torrents, web downloads, rapidshare, ftp etc.) remotely from your phone or a PC as work for instance.

you could even set it up as a streaming server to remotely watch movies or tv shows or play music stored on your server on your phone or another pc, even over the internet. the possibilities are almost limitless and for the price, you really can't go wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Thinking of upgrading the stock memory 1GB to to 4GB or 8GB.

My 1-year old N36L is currently running Ubuntu 11.04 with mdam RAID, Plex Media Server and 2 x 1.5TB drives.

Any point of adding more memory? Any recommended cheap RAM I can get from Irish or UK online website?

Thanks,
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

MartMax wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading the stock memory 1GB to to 4GB or 8GB.

My 1-year old N36L is currently running Ubuntu 11.04 with mdam RAID, Plex Media Server and 2 x 1.5TB drives.

Any point of adding more memory? Any recommended cheap RAM I can get from Irish or UK online website?

Thanks,
    M.

Run htop and see how much ram you are using.
    If it's swapping get more, if not leave it as is.

Sitting idle:
    Mem 532/869MB
    Swp 213/891MB

Streaming Plex Media from iPhone via Remote Wi-Fi:
    Mem 611/869MB
    Swp 217/891MB

Do you think additional memory is much need?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Sitting idle:
    Mem 532/869MB
    Swp 213/891MB

Streaming Plex Media from iPhone via Remote Wi-Fi:
    Mem 611/869MB
    Swp 217/891MB

Do you think additional memory is much need?
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's swapping at some stage, not currently though. If you were getting a stick free/cheap do it, but if funds are tight you'd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any of these still going on the cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Yeah would also like to know. Looks like I missed the boat on the great cash-back offer.

• Advertisement

I'm just after a decent home server to run linux that doesnt sound like a jet engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Remouad wrote: »
    Not Really. Going to be using it as a home media server.

Right Spotted 8Gb for €45. That'll do!

Out of interest did you buy this in the end?

Bought my microserver about a month ago. Running well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

could anyone tell me, I've been considering buying this for use as home theatre pc. It would sit at the tv, where the upc supply comes in, so it would manage all downloads etc for the network. I've bought a blackgold 3600 tv card...from their site
    Please be aware that for DVB-S/S2 operation you will need to connect a 6 pin PCI-express power cable to the card, in order to provide power for your satelite dish LNB. BGT3600 LNB Power

So is there any spares in there that I can use to connect to this to supply the power or am i out of luck?

I'd also be jamming a graphics card in there to supply the hdmi out

TheDoc wrote: »
    Any of these still going on the cheap?

Earlier, I emailed the crowd who looks after the cashback and it is confirmed that the promo has been extended to September. I would hold thou till the claim form is updated.

Earlier, I emailed the crowd who looks after the cashback and it is confirmed that the promo has been extended to September. I would hold thou till the claim form is updated.

So what are these coming in at total?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any update on the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

If you order through amazon.co.uk (£217.49 under "More Buying Choices"), do you get the uk rebate of £100?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

zuroph wrote: »
    could anyone tell me, I've been considering buying this for use as home theatre pc. It would sit at the tv, where the upc supply comes in, so it would manage all downloads etc for the network. I've bought a blackgold 3600 tv card...from their site
    Please be aware that for DVB-S/S2 operation you will need to connect a 6 pin PCI-express power cable to the card, in order to provide power for your satelite dish LNB. BGT3600 LNB Power

So is there any spares in there that I can use to connect to this to supply the power or am i out of luck?

I'd also be jamming a graphics card in there to supply the hdmi out

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I'd imagine its pretty noisey. Probably more suitable as a NAS than a HTPC.

Advertisement