Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Hi there

I'm looking for a home server solution, and seem like the HP Proliant G7 is only 150 pounds at Amazon!

Is this too good to be true?!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ProLiant-N40L-2GB-U-250GB-MicroServer/dp/B005LRCASM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348524165&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The cash back is already included in that price

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

The cash back is already included in that price
    Still, beats having to chase HP for it!

For someone who just wants to have a server to stream media to the main PC/WD Live/Android Tablet, would going for this be a good solution or would I be better off buying a NAS/building a pc for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

For people who bought this in the past, how long did the rebate checks take to come? I have been waiting 32 days since getting the rebate confirmation email and no sign of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Redisle wrote: »
    For people who bought this in the past, how long did the rebate checks take to come? I have been waiting 32 days since getting the rebate confirmation email and no sign of it yet.
    Waiting since Sep 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Redisle wrote: »

it took approx 45 days from receiving their confirmation email until i got mine. think it says something in the small print about taking 40 days if i remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

it took approx 45 days from receiving their confirmation email until i got mine. think it says something in the small print about taking 40 days if i remember rightly.

Was about the same for me. Took so long I was wondering whether I had already gotten it but forgotten. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

any idea if the offer will come up again, how regularily does it run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

zuroph wrote: »
    any idea if the offer will come up again, how regularily does it run?

It's been running continuously for over 18 months now but could end at any time.

Here is the Nov. claim form for the UK, can't find the Irish one at the moment but it should be available here also.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

If it's still running, where is the best place to buy one at the moment?

• Advertisement

I bought from UK and claimed UK cashback successfully. I'm still waiting on my check, but it's only 45 day since it was approved now. They quoted 45 days lead time for check from approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ballooba wrote: »
    I bought from UK and claimed UK cashback successfully. I'm still waiting on my check, but it's only 45 day since it was approved now. They quoted 45 days lead time for check from approval.
    not sure if it's still the same, but a couple of years back i needed to lodge a cheque in sterling and they said it could be up to 30 days for it to clear. :(

it wasn't related to the HP cashback, but it's worth noting (unless things have changed) that a sterling cheque could take a good while to clear in an irish bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Is there another thread going with the tech aspects of this server since about 1000 boardsies have it at this stage. Looking to get a Satellite card for it at the moment.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Is there another thread going with the tech aspects of this server since about 1000 boardsies have it at this stage. Looking to get a Satellite card for it at the moment.

This seems to be the catch all thread for the server.

I'm looking at satellite cards too.
    Best one seems to be the BlackGold 3600 but it seems to be constantly out of stock.
    Looking at getting the TBS6981. Should cover the Freesat stuff.
    Haven't figured out what I'm going to do about a Saorview yet.

Remouad wrote: »
    This seems to be the catch all thread for the server.

I'm looking at satellite cards too.
    Best one seems to be the BlackGold 3600 but it seems to be constantly out of stock.
    Looking at getting the TBS6981. Should cover the Freesat stuff.
    Haven't figured out what I'm going to do about a Saorview yet.

So found a link here: http://www.buydvb.net/tbs6981-pcie-dvbs2-dual-tuner-tv-card_p11.html

Any better prices?

For anyone else interested looks like it is compatible with media portal

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/11_Preparing_Your_System/01_Supported_TV_Cards?highlight=TBS6981

Which has an add on for XBMC.

Will just see is there any of these pci express cards on amazon cheaper.

With the satellite card in the microserver can it be streamed remotely to raspbmc/xbmc?

With the satellite card in the microserver can it be streamed remotely to raspbmc/xbmc?

That's the plan anyways!

That's the plan anyways!
    That would be interesting, I'd like to try out Freesat without having to run satellite cable through the house. I could just put the microserver next to the dish.

So found a link here: http://www.buydvb.net/tbs6981-pcie-dvbs2-dual-tuner-tv-card_p11.html

Any better prices?

For anyone else interested looks like it is compatible with media portal

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/11_Preparing_Your_System/01_Supported_TV_Cards?highlight=TBS6981

Which has an add on for XBMC.

Will just see is there any of these pci express cards on amazon cheaper.

That's the cheapest I've been able to find it. will take a while for delivery as it's coming from singapore(I think).

It's about 15 euro more expensive on amazon when you take postage into account.

I'm looking at using media portal or For The Record as my tuner backend.
    Going to try them both out and see which will do the job.
    If you're looking at a linux solution MythTv is another option.

If you're going to have multiple XMBC clients I'd recommend using a mysql database to keep it all in sync.

Media portal, For the record or mythTv will allow you to do this.

XMBC v12 is adding additional PVR support. It's in code freeze so hopefully release isn't too far away.

The Raspberry Pi doesn't have wireless built in so you'll have to connect it directly to your router/hub or add a usb wireless adapter on a powered usb hub.

Maybe an MK802 stick might be better.

That's the cheapest I've been able to find it. will take a while for delivery as it's coming from singapore(I think).

It's about 15 euro more expensive on amazon when you take postage into account.
    What about import duty though?
    The Raspberry Pi doesn't have wireless built in so you'll have to connect it directly to your router/hub or add a usb wireless adapter on a powered usb hub.

Maybe an MK802 stick might be better.
    I can't imagine WiFi being much use for streaming video. My Raspbmc is connected via Ethernet.
    If you're going to have multiple XMBC clients I'd recommend using a mysql database to keep it all in sync.
    Thanks for that tip. I only have one XBMC instance at the moment but that might change.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine WiFi being much use for streaming video. My Raspbmc is connected via Ethernet.

Thanks for that tip. I only have one XBMC instance at the moment but that might change.

I've it set up, some issues regarding multiple instances scanning for new media but works pretty well.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries

No idea. one of the reasons I haven't ordered it yet. Taking my time so I can make sure its family friendly!

Just a suggestion as I didn't know your setup. not the best but a viable option. It's how you'd access content on a tablet or laptop.
    I have cat6 run to my tv points so it's not a problem for me.

Very useful if you want to watch from a tablet or laptop.
    recommend setting it up even if you only have one instance.

I've it set up, some issues regarding multiple instances scanning for new media but works pretty well.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries

Have you tried setting it up so that there is one master instance/profile that updates the database?

Have you tried setting it up so that there is one master instance/profile that updates the database?

Well ya I basically have to switch off all other "auto update" features, no biggie, just have to get around to wiping it again to remove duplicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So If I buy from Uk, I can claim the UK cashback? I've the 3600 sitting here waiting for a home, figured out I just need a molex adaptor to get the power supply into the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

On the spec sheet it says it has a storage capacity of up to 8.0TB (2TB x 4).
    Does anyone know if you could fit in a lager capacity HD? 4TB x 4 perhaps.

54kroc wrote: »
    I understand people have fit 5 x 3 TB. Using the optical drive slot as a HDD slot with use of a caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I read an article/tutorial where some crazy guy fit in eight hard disks. An additional controller was required, though.

54kroc wrote: »

I know you can do a bios mod that will allow you to have larger harddrives. Don't remember how big you can go but can definitely do 3TB
    qwertz wrote: »
    I read an article/tutorial where some crazy guy fit in eight hard disks. An additional controller was required, though.

Where did he find the space???? :eek:

Might be cheaper and easier to just buy a second server.
    Only £202 on amazon now so that would be £102 after the cash back!!
    Very tempted to buy a second one at that price.

• Advertisement

I know you can do a bios mod that will allow you to have larger harddrives. Don't remember how big you can go but can definitely do 3TB

Where did he find the space???? :eek:

Might be cheaper and easier to just buy a second server.
    Only £202 on amazon now so that would be £102 after the cash back!!
    Very tempted to buy a second one at that price.

I have 3 x 3TB in mine + standard 350GB for the OS, no bios mod needed thank god!

Advertisement