Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yeah I notice the cashback notice has gone from Elara but it's still on HPshop thou.

if you intend to use FreeNAS 8, the min memory is 2GB but version 7 only requires 256MB. for torrent and other stuff, version 7 seems to be able to do most of them.

i still can't decide whether to run Ubuntu Desktop or Ubuntu Server/Webmin or FreeNAS 7 and what file system to be used. Have a few Macs, iphone and Windows machine at home to access this NAS storage for streaming media, backing up videos and photo works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I am really hoping that they are going to extend the offer..
    Would need 2 of those for my ESXi Environment ;)

However, buying them via the HP shop, should be slightly cheaper then via elara, me thinks..
    2 Boxes would set me back 318 EUR after Cashback, incl. p&p. Thats less than 160 Euros a box, delivered.. Bargain :)

/Rick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I am really hoping that they are going to extend the offer..
    Would need 2 of those for my ESXi Environment ;)

However, buying them via the HP shop, should be slightly cheaper then via elara, me thinks..
    2 Boxes would set me back 318 EUR after Cashback, incl. p&p. Thats less than 160 Euros a box, delivered.. Bargain :)

/Rick
    if you're using it for ESXi, the 2 things you need is CPU grunt & lots of RAM (or at least room for lots of RAM) so (IMHO, possibly controversially :)) you'd be much better off buying a single ML110 G6 and sticking a heap of RAM in it and running two virtual ESXi hosts on it or even looking at something like vTardis on it and saving yourself the bother of having 2 physical hosts.

you can buy the cheaper (non-xeon) version of the ML110 for buttons these days (HP also quite often have it in the cashback offer) and it'll still have more grunt than a pair of Athlon Neo's and will happily take up to 16gb of RAM and also allow you an upgrade path to any socket 1156 CPU (i.e. up to a quad core 3Ghz Xeon with HT) later on when the prices become a little more affordable in the future.

even without the cashback its probably better value than a pair of micro servers for ESXi purposes, but if you can buy when the cashback deal is on it might even be worth going for the X3430 Xeon model up front.

well, I don't like virtualizing ESX(i) hosts..
    Furthermore, I assume that the ML110 is quite noisier and power&space consuming then 2 n36ls..
    And you are way more flexible with 2 boxes, when u are going to test other scenarios like using it as a NAS, etc :)
    The one good thing of the ML is, that it has the iLO integrated..
    The remote card for the n36 is around 80 quid.. Hmm.. ;)

** edit **

Funny enough, the quadcore version of the ml110 does not come with the iLO ;)

And, to explain, I dont need to run a full ESX environment on the n36..I just love to have a small lab environment at home to play with. Especially on the weekends, like right now ;)

• Advertisement

Got it delivered yesterday and have it up and running smoothly with Ubuntu 11.04 Server and Webmin/LVM. Two Samsung f4 2TB drives will arrive on Monday. as for now, i have the 250GB drive as EXT4 file system on SAMBA sharing. :rolleyes:

after tinkering around for few hours, i've decided to leave this set up as simple as it is for the moment. no RAM upgrade no GPU no VM. coming from Windows, i'm too slow to learning Linux. just pure shared file server run as cheap as i can so won't wrecked my tiny brain cells and pocket.

files write around 50-70Mbps on wired connection on Windows 7. a lot slower on wireless when copying from OS X Lion and this is the only major issue - my TP Link keeps hanging when reading and writing large files i.e. 100MB above. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Almost certain this offer will continue until the end of October at least. Emailed hpshop.ie who replied that saying they wont officially know until mon/tue but it more than likely will stock permitting.
    Also at least 2 UK websites have it stating end of October cashback deal.
    I'm pretty sure it was free delivery on elara for the sept offer, after that was taken down the delivery went back to 8e, I wonder will they be doing the same for October.

My plan for this is add 2x2tb harddrives and try out unraid for streaming media.

Furthermore, I assume that the ML110 is quite noisier and power&space consuming then 2 n36ls..
    And you are way more flexible with 2 boxes, when u are going to test other scenarios like using it as a NAS, etc :)

** edit **

And, to explain, I dont need to run a full ESX environment on the n36..I just love to have a small lab environment at home to play with. Especially on the weekends, like right now ;)
    if you just don't like virtualising ESXi hosts then that's fair enough, but by limiting yourself to using only two physical hosts you're giving yourself a pretty big handicap in what you can do with ESXi. literally, the one single thing you can do with 2 physical hosts that you can't do with virtual ones is pull out the physical power leads or network cables out and since you can still do that in a virtual environment it doesn't make much sense at all.

noise wise, the most you'll hear out of an ML110 G6 is for 10 seconds at POST, but it's actually quieter than my desktop PC once it's up and running.

power wise, the G6950 consumes less than 100w and according to a review i saw, someone registered 60w at boot and 45w at idle for the N36L based microserver, so if you times that by two i don't think there's much in it either way.

as far as iLO goes, ALL the ML110 G6's ship with the same motherboard which has the integrated iLO100i onboard, but without the advanced licence key its just for the remote management GUI & ssh access, with no remote KVM interface unless you want to give HP a chunk of cash.

imho the whole point of ESXi at home is to have a small lab to play with (which is what you seem to want to do anyway) and there's nothing you can't do with a single physical host running multiple virtual hosts that you could do with 2 physical ones (and using vTardis on a single host there's plenty that you can do on one host that you can't with only 2 physicals).

freenas, opennas, clarkconnect, openfiler and more can all be virtualised (or even run as pre-built virtual appliances). i'm currently running 8x 2tb disks in mine plus the 250gb disk that comes with the ML110 G6 and it's doing great so far and there's still room for at least 3 or 4 more drives (or more, if i change the CPU cooler) should the need arise although i'm pretty sure it's drawing more than 100w now. :D

Looks like this has been extended to 31 October 2011. You can see it on the claim form on hpshop :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Does this cover the new 1.5Ghz model?

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to, claim form is very specific with the HP part number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

ummm anyone know if the installation guide that comes with it is available in pdf on the web? my cat decided to attack it and rip it to sheds before i had a chance to look while at work

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

** edit **

For what it's worth; I've a ESXi all-in-one setup with an OpenSolaris ZFS & Ubuntu Twonky server for the last couple of months & I couldn't be happier with it. One quiet box ( an old Silverstone case ), & the best of both worlds in terms of a solid NAS sw & a good Media server.

Give it a chance, theres a lot to be said for this kind of build !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I managed to damage one of the plugs that goes to the motherboard and one of the cables had popped out - see pic. If anyone has their microserver open, can you tell me what part of the plug the cable needs to be inserted.

Thanks

V

i know it's juvenile, but...OMG you cut the read wire, for god's sake RUN!!! :pac:

I think I will be ok, I submerged it in a tub of water after I took the pic, still has not gone off, but there is a feint ticking noise coming from the tub.

Humm, perhaps the ticking will stop if I unplug it.

Vexorg wrote: »
    I think I will be ok, I submerged it in a tub of water after I took the pic, still has not gone off, but there is a feint ticking noise coming from the tub.

Humm, perhaps the ticking will stop if I unplug it.

I've a new one arriving tomorrow/friday for a client, I'll take a picture of it when I get it open.

@ Kinetic^

Thanks, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Elara is out of stock,

If I buy one of these today from HP will I still qualify for the cashback?
    The form "Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 September 2011," but the webpage says ****Extended again to 31 October 2011****

It is a bit cheaper on Dabs.ie, will I still get cashback if bought from there?

I want to replace my creaky old xp media file server with one of these. Looks the business!

Elara is out of stock,

If I buy one of these today from HP will I still qualify for the cashback?
    The form "Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 September 2011," but the webpage says ****Extended again to 31 October 2011****

It is a bit cheaper on Dabs.ie, will I still get cashback if bought from there?

I want to replace my creaky old xp media file server with one of these. Looks the business!
    yep, doesn't matter where you bought it, you just send in your proof of purchase and delivery with the HP cashback form and they send you a cheque.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, doesn't matter where you bought it, you just send in your proof of purchase and delivery with the HP cashback form and they send you a cheque.

Cool,

I'm still wondering about the extension of the offer though. The irish claim form does still say ""Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 September 2011,"" , While the UK form says :

"Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 October 2011, "

I emailed the contact address on the hpshop but they only said they are out of stock and would get back to me about the validity of the cashback offer.

:confused:

no idea then, sorry. i'd say just find out who has them in stock and mail them about the offer before you click on the buy button, just to be on the safe side.

Vexorg wrote: »
    @ Kinetic^

Thanks, much appreciated.

Here you go

http://img.ie/60617.jpg

Seems this deal is over?
    none on hpshop, none on elara

Cool,

I'm still wondering about the extension of the offer though. The irish claim form does still say ""Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 September 2011,"" , While the UK form says :

"Purchase your ProLiant Microserver (part code 633724-421) between 1 February - 31 October 2011, "

I emailed the contact address on the hpshop but they only said they are out of stock and would get back to me about the validity of the cashback offer.

:confused:

The offer is valid for this month for sure. I bought one a few weeks ago and got an email a few days ago confirming I will be getting the check. Hpshop.ie had the pdf updated to end october '11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

settings wrote: »
    Seems this deal is over?
    none on hpshop, none on elara

15 showing in stock with dabs.ie

invest4deepvalue.com

Yeah. I got one from dabs the other day.
    It's a great little server.

The invoice from dabs doesn't have the HP part number printed on it. This might be a problem when trying to redeem the cashback. Just letting y'all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

EOL now according to Kin on the Elara forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yeah. I got one from dabs the other day.
    It's a great little server.

The invoice from dabs doesn't have the HP part number printed on it. This might be a problem when trying to redeem the cashback. Just letting y'all know.

I can't remember if my invoice had the part number on it, but I ordered from Elara and got the cashback from HP with no problems (a few months ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Anyone have the link to the Irish cashback form so I can print it off?

Im buying one from Dabs :) Thanks very much guys. I only seen this offer now.

Advertisement