Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Baza210 wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for the fan that SPCR installed in their review, you can get it from QuietPC. I'll be installing it along with my 6450 this weekend.
    only 4 randomly wired pins on the microserver? pfft, you lucky lucky barstewards. :p

I was looking at replacing the stock fan in my HP ML110 G6 and adding another one or two to cool the HDD's, but when i had a quick look inside, i noticed that HP have started using 6-pin headers on the motherboards for some baffling reason. :eek:

only 4 pins actually have cables in them, so i might compare the cables to the ones shown in that guide and see if they match up and have a look at swapping them round and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

AndrewR wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to understand what you'd need to upgrade this to a HTPC? and/or why it wouldn't be useful as a HTPC?

As a NAS I presume you'd attach it to your network via the ethernet connection, put in a few TB drives and use it as storage? what OS could you use for this (I presume it comes w/o an OS)? and is there any other software that would make it easier to configure etc.

A

I have Windows Home Server (WHS) installed (2011 version). Installed 2 x 2TB WD Caviar Green drives and set them up as RAID through the BIOS and WHS server handles that well (they appear as a single drive).

Also have a 1TB external WD drive attached through USB to hold the server backups. (i.e. the server holds client PC backups but the external holds the backup of the server itself)

WHS allows configuring folders on the server as shared folders for client PCs to stream etc. from. Handy if you have a small home/office network.

With the cashback (which arrived as a cheque a while ago) it makes the purchasing of the other hard drives more affordable...

(oh - I also upgraded the RAM but elected non-ECC as this isn't an office but a home network, and the price was far more affordable)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Does anyone know of a freesat card that will fit in this machine.
    Want to use it to record TV for later viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I tested it with a cheap usb DVB-T dongle from ebay that cost about 15 euro and it worked just fine.....Easy to move to another machine at any time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Freesat USB sticks (DB-S) need external power though, and I'd say you'd struggle to get an internal one in.

Anyone know of a good place to get WHS 2011 and if its worth it? Currently using Ubuntu on it but struggling to get it to do everything I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Thanks OP, got a couple of these for a NAS, a VM server, and general purpose server to replace an aging (and noisy!) machine for a client :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

when is this deal on till ? end of september?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

brmccfc wrote: »
    when is this deal on till ? end of september?

End of September, but it has been extended every month since the deal started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

End of September, but it has been extended every month since the deal started.

Thing is the rebate cut off date is end of September so I think it actually will be ending soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Still can't decide between this microserver (as a NAS + HTPC) or a Synology with media player or something.

Some serious typos on the rebate form!
    • Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 February - 31 September 2011.
    • Mail to: HP Claims Dept, PO Box 7393, Reading, RG27 7JJ. All submissions must be received by Friday 30 September 2011.

And also when you read the T&C.
    6. The closing date for receipt of claim forms is Friday 30 November 2011. No claims will be accepted after this date.

It's the safest to assume the last day receipt for the claim is 30 September 2011 because 30 November 2011 is actually on Wednesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

MartMax wrote: »
    Still can't decide between this microserver (as a NAS + HTPC) or a Synology with media player or something.

If you use it as a NAS, I think it is clear: the HP wins hands down, you can't even get a Synology with 2 bays for the same money, and it will have half the performance (Atom D525 vs. AMD 64) with less flexibility.

If you need a media box, I think it all depends if you can find the right components for the HP, some previous links suggest it is possible.
    But regardless, the Synology will not have audio or video out of the box either
    It's the safest to assume the last day receipt for the claim is 30 September 2011 because 30 November 2011 is actually on Wednesday!

What they mean is: buy before 30 Sep and claim before 30 Nov (so you can still buy on 29th Sep and claim the discount)

Baza210 wrote: »
    Psssh... who need HDMI.

Unless, you know, you want audio...

:/

Am thinking to run Ubuntu desktop + Boxee/XMBC on this setup as NAS/Media Centre connected to an AV unit via HDMI. So say if I had a SAPPHIRE ATI HD 5450 card (HDMI out), then I wouldn't need a sound card, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Am thinking to run Ubuntu desktop + Boxee/XMBC on this setup as NAS/Media Centre connected to an AV unit via HDMI. So say if I had a SAPPHIRE ATI HD 5450 card (HDMI out), then I wouldn't need a sound card, no?

Depends on your sound system. You will get Stereo sound but not DTS or Dolby 5.1, i would think without a sound card.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Depends on your sound system. You will get Stereo sound but not DTS or Dolby 5.1, i would think without a sound card.

" Radeon HD 5450 supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio out for what could make it the ultimate media PC graphics card."

link

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Would order one of these today if the money back offer wasn't over tomorrow.
    it says:
    "Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 February - 31 September 2011"

(even though there is only 30 days in sept :rolleyes:)

God Father wrote: »
    " Radeon HD 5450 supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio out for what could make it the ultimate media PC graphics card."

link

Must be my sound system then. I have a 6450 and my samsung surround system was getting sound from my HTPC plugged into the TV. but I only got stereo. I ended up getting a creative labs usb 5.1 sound card (65euro) and used an optical cable directly to the samsung surround system getting full DTS now :)

settings wrote: »
    Would order one of these today if the money back offer wasn't over tomorrow.
    it says:
    "Product must have been delivered & invoiced between 1 February - 31 September 2011"

(even though there is only 30 days in sept :rolleyes:)

I just emailed promotions at out-bound.co.uk (I assume it's the crowds who deal with the cashback claim) and received a reply:
    Thank you for your email. Currently the promotion is ending on 30th September but we have heard from HP that they will be extending it until the end of October.

The closing date for receipt of claim forms is 30th November 2011. Thank you for letting us know that there is conflicting information on the website, I will let HP know and they can rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Do you think this has enough juice (processing power) to be used as a proper HTPC?
    When I say proper I mean being able to play Blu Ray disks on 1080p, being able to receive HD channels through a dual tuner DVB-S2 card and also being able record/receive two channels simultaneously through Windows Media Center.
    I have one that I use as a nas and DLNA server and I am tempted to get a proper graphics card and a DVB-S2 tuner and stick it under the telly, but I am afraid it may not be able to do all the above without hiccups!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

el_greco wrote: »
    Do you think this has enough juice (processing power) to be used as a proper HTPC?
    When I say proper I mean being able to play Blu Ray disks on 1080p, being able to receive HD channels through a dual tuner DVB-S2 card and also being able record/receive two channels simultaneously through Windows Media Center.
    I have one that I use as a nas and DLNA server and I am tempted to get a proper graphics card and a DVB-S2 tuner and stick it under the telly, but I am afraid it may not be able to do all the above without hiccups!
    i don't think there's room for 2 internal cards in it and (from what i've heard) external usb cards aren't an option for serious PVR type stuff.

one of the other lads should be able to confirm that for sure though. I think Jonathan has some screen grabs a page or so back with pics of the internals.

• Advertisement

Mine plays 1080p DTS MKV blu-ray rip's via XBMC without issues. Watched LOTR 22gig MKV no problems

Windows 7 64bit
    4gig ram
    ATI 6450
    Creative labs USB sound card 5.1

I dont have a DVB-S2 tuner so i cant comment on that part of it.

Pics here http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums/topic/37047-hp-proliant-microserver-n36l-htpc-build/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Thank you for the replies guys, i have to be sure before pulling the trigger!

There should just about enough space for a 6450 and a TBS 6981.
    With a Blu-Ray drive, a USB sound card and some speakers you have all you will need in one box; if the little athlon can handle it that is!

Thank you for the replies guys, i have to be sure before pulling the trigger!

There should just about enough space for a 6450 and a TBS 6981.
    With a Blu-Ray drive, a USB sound card and some speakers you have all you will need in one box; if the little athlon can handle it that is!

Might be better off just building something, so you know you've enough space.

Just remember to enable "pixel shader" in the xbmc video settings, so it uses the graphics card proccessor. My 22gb .mvk was stuttering until i made this settings change.

Stevo105, is that your own setup on systemshock website? Any reason that you ditch WHS2011 in favour of Windows 7?

Just ordered one this off Elara. Finger cross hope to get it on Friday and have a good play over the weekend. Initially was looking to set this up solely as a NAS (go with FreeNAS) but now got me thinking whether should make it a HTPC as well since I don't any HTPC atm.

Stevo105, is that your own setup on systemshock website? Any reason that you ditch WHS2011 in favour of Windows 7?

No thats not me. i just added the link for picture reference. But that is the video card i have Sapphire ati 5460 DDR3 version

Getting this for my Microserver

http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/keyboards/keyboard/devices/8276

comes with free headphones smiley.gif

Product SKU: 920-003116
    Product Name: Wireless Touch Keyboard K400
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: 33.05EUR
    Shipment Tracking Numbers:

Product SKU: SPECIAL OFFER
    Product Name: FREE - Back2School UE Earphones 100
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: 0.00EUR
    Shipment Tracking Numbers:

Subtotal: 33.05EUR
    Shipping: 0.00EUR

Tax: 6.94EUR
    Total: 39.99EUR
    Discount: 29.01EUR
    modify_inline.gif

I notice that the cashback offer has been removed from elara.ie :eek:
    just when I was set to buy one - hope they are just updating it or something:rolleyes:

I intend to use this as freeNAS and torrent downloader - i have a HTPC with xbmc and an xbmc xbox on the network, one question I got though is how much RAM do I need for this? I've no problem buying it I would of just thought that it wouldnt have alot to load into memory.

Oh and I was reading that some servers can convert files on the fly (for example PS3 doesnt play mkv?) - how would I go by doing taht if needed?

thanks alot, come on elara i cant wait much longer :D

Stevo105 wrote: »

Logitech are quality. I have one very like that but I got it off amazon a year or so ago-dont know the brand. Works well, i have it in my xbmclive machine but never use it as i setup a logitech remote. I ssh in so i dont need it for terminal.
    it was plug and play too which was a surprise and it is ready even to go into bios settings. One thing that is slightly annoying about the one i got (logitech probably wont have this issue) is the line of sight, like entering a linux password where you cant see the cursor move.

Brilliant if your tv is close for online etc.

by the way i thought it was a free wireless mouse they were giving free these days, I was looking for an excuse to get something for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

settings wrote: »
    I notice that the cashback offer has been removed from elara.ie :eek:
    just when I was set to buy one - hope they are just updating it or something:rolleyes:

I intend to use this as freeNAS and torrent downloader - i have a HTPC with xbmc and an xbmc xbox on the network, one question I got though is how much RAM do I need for this? I've no problem buying it I would of just thought that it wouldnt have alot to load into memory.

Oh and I was reading that some servers can convert files on the fly (for example PS3 doesnt play mkv?) - how would I go by doing taht if needed?

thanks alot, come on elara i cant wait much longer :D

The RAM that it came with should be enough for use as a NAS and torrent downloader.
    PS3 Media Server program should transcode for you on the fly I believe.
    MediaTomb should work too.

Advertisement