Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I don't mean to be a pester, But seeing as the deal is over for good now, Should this thread not be moved(Keep the tech talk open of course) To say the computer hardware section.

Would be easy to find for people looking for this.

How many people would expect to find a thread about the best micro server setup in the bargain alerts section.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Thor wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a pester, But seeing as the deal is over for good now, Should this thread not be moved(Keep the tech talk open of course) To say the computer hardware section.

Would be easy to find for people looking for this.

How many people would expect to find a thread about the best micro server setup in the bargain alerts section.
    Currrent deal expires on 30 Nov 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

carbsy wrote: »
    Anyone use any hardware raid cards in the microserver and if so, which? I bought one of these ages ago but have done nowt with it yet cept for testing various OSs / VMs etc.

I think the best way to go is hardware raid for the drives, then install vSphere 5 and get it to see the raid array.Then create a FreeNAS VM and a few others, which maximises the use of the server.

Anyone use it like this? It think just installing FreeNAS on it is a waste on it's own, as it could do much more with vSphere.

*EDIT* Forgot to add, if anyone is using FreeNAS on a VM on this, complete with other VMs on vSphere on a hardware raid array, is there much reduction in network speeds (copying files to and from) with FreeNAS as opposed to running FreeNAS natively? Interested to know! Cheers. :)

I seem to find freenas as a VM slower than it should. I'm not sure the network interface is running at full speed uder the VM.

I don't have any actual speed tests and remember this could be due to my network layout, hard disks used in the machine and so on.

I'm not sure I'd recommend running freenas under esxi on the basis of my experience with it. One of the things I had been looking at doing was to just leave it converting media files using handbrake on a different VM on the same machine. Not unsurprisingly this didn't prove very speedy at all nor was I expecting it to but it just doesn't have the oomph to do much more than limited basics. I was going to freenas, windows server and ubuntu server on it at the same time but I'm not really sure thats practical even with 8gb of ram in it.

I tried out plex on it under the windows vm and for transcoding on the fly its not really ideal, too much stuttering at times.

Anyway this is all anecdotal your experience may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm kind of doing it that way on my G6950 based HP ML110 G6, just currently without hardware RAID.

I have a FreeNAS8 VM running on ESXi5 with RDM's to eight 2tb disks which I'm using for data.

transfer speeds could be better tbh, but i made a conscious decision to sacrifice that as maximising space across 8 consumer grade disks of that capacity means having to stump for double parity with ZFS2 unless you fancy playing the lotto with a single disk rebuild.

it means i *only* :D get 10.7tb of formatted capacity out of all those disks, but at least i know i can make it through a rebuild even if a 2nd disk fell over, without bringing the whole lot down with it.

I'm actually in the middle of setting up iSCSI for ESXi via the FreeNAS VM to move all my other VM's onto, so I'll let you know how that goes and if there's any increase (or decrease, although hopefully not) in performance on iSCSI versus a single local datastore. I'll need to keep the VM files for FreeNAS on the old disk though, for obvious reasons.

one thing i would say is that if you plan on using the softRAID built into FreeNAS8, don't go with ZFS2 unless you have a fairly powerful CPU as it was lagging even with 1CPU and 4gb RAM in ESXi when i was copying files over from my old NAS, so I had to add another CPU and boost the memory to 8gb to speed up the transfer. i guess it's mostly down to the double parity calculations in software.

Also, don't be tempted to go with the 32bit version of FreeNAS8 if you know that the CPU in your ESX server supports 64bit as even if you configure the FreeNAS VM as 32bit, the OS itself can still detect that it's running on underlying 64bit hardware and will cause you all sorts of problems (google for "freenas kernal panic") the minute you start copying a large amount of files to it, as a found out. :(

I actually have my eye on a 3Ghz quad core Xeon to replace the Pentium G6950, but i'm moving house next week, so the purse strings are a bit too tight this month to get it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm kind of doing it that way on my G6950 based HP ML110 G6, just currently without hardware RAID.

I have a FreeNAS8 VM running on ESXi5 with RDM's to eight 2tb disks which I'm using for data.

transfer speeds could be better tbh, but i made a conscious decision to sacrifice that as maximising space across 8 consumer grade disks of that capacity means having to stump for double parity with ZFS2 unless you fancy playing the lotto with a single disk rebuild.

it means i *only* :D get 10.7tb of formatted capacity out of all those disks, but at least i know i can make it through a rebuild even if a 2nd disk fell over, without bringing the whole lot down with it.

I'm actually in the middle of setting up iSCSI for ESXi via the FreeNAS VM to move all my other VM's onto, so I'll let you know how that goes and if there's any increase (or decrease, although hopefully not) in performance on iSCSI versus a single local datastore. I'll need to keep the VM files for FreeNAS on the old disk though, for obvious reasons.

one thing i would say is that if you plan on using the softRAID built into FreeNAS8, don't go with ZFS2 unless you have a fairly powerful CPU as it was lagging even with 1CPU and 4gb RAM in ESXi when i was copying files over from my old NAS, so I had to add another CPU and boost the memory to 8gb to speed up the transfer. i guess it's mostly down to the double parity calculations in software.

Also, don't be tempted to go with the 32bit version of FreeNAS8 if you know that the CPU in your ESX server supports 64bit as even if you configure the FreeNAS VM as 32bit, the OS itself can still detect that it's running on underlying 64bit hardware and will cause you all sorts of problems (google for "freenas kernal panic") the minute you start copying a large amount of files to it, as a found out. :(

I actually have my eye on a 3Ghz quad core Xeon to replace the Pentium G6950, but i'm moving house next week, so the purse strings are a bit too tight this month to get it. :(

Ah yeah.. I bought the ML110 G6 too.I remember you asking me some questions about it before you bought yours.I'm using it for my study lab with nested ESXi hosts ala vTardis.Only just started this project so gonna be next year by the time it's finished as I'm only using the supplied 250GB SATA HD atm so need to get a hardware raid card for this too and lots of disks.

Or maybe I should use the Microserver as my study lab and use the ML110 for FreeNAS VM etc ... doing my nut in tbh as I keep changing my mind and can't decide on which to use for what! ;)

• Advertisement

well, there's definitely more room for disks in the ML110.

I managed to cram nine 3.5" drives into it with little shoehorning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Anyone have a copy of the November form for Ireland. Emailed HP and didn't get a response and cant find online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I linked it earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭garvm

Anyone have a copy of the November form for Ireland. Emailed HP and didn't get a response and cant find online.

http://goo.gl/5d5xZ

i keep expecting this thread to be more interesting than it is. can we turn it into a "show us yer box" thread to spice it up a bit? :D

just want to see what people are doing with theirs.

if you show me yours, i'll show you mine. but i should warn you, mines much bigger. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm doing Amahi, with the OS on a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit. Took about 3 tries to get it on there, but it's running away happily now. Can't afford disks with the prices at the moment though, so my old Dell cheapie server will have to plod away with it's nasty 500GB softraid for now. The project will continue anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Vibe

Theres a few usage ideas for these boxes here.

http://confoundedtech.blogspot.com/2011/05/hp-proliant-microserver-hp-n36l.html

It seems to be mostly NAS and media server that it gets drafted into.

Hmm, how about it as an odd Christmas present. "Here ya go, your very own media server!"

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Can anyone find the December offer? I can only find th UK version........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I bought one of these from Dabs.ie in late November for €275 - Dabs was only linking the UK rebate form so I thought the offer was not available in Ireland but from this thread it seems it is, which is great news! I assume I can use the form earlier linked here:

http://h40055.www4.hp.com/docs/focus-pack/nov11/EURO-Microserver-Offer-IRE-Nov2011.pdf

Does it matter that this was not a company purchase but bought for personal use? I thought €275 was a great price, but if I end up getting it at €155 instead, it'll simply be amazing! Has anyone had a November claim accepted already (confirmation email from HP at least)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have had my November claim accepted. I sent them the wrong number and they got back to me asap and accepted the right service tag.

I bought as a personal purchase too. It's a really nice machine. So small and compact. I love how modular it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks BlackWizard - I'm replacing my aging WHS V1 HP Mediasmart EX475 with this (got WHS 2011 on it). The EX475 was smaller overall but sounds like a hoover and has no PCI slots/optical drive bay so happy with the Proliant. It's really quiet IMO and has no problem streaming HD content to my iPad/iPhone (which the Mediasmart chocked on) so very happy even at the full price. Getting the €120 rebate will make this the best purchase of the year for me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

So, are we sure there's no December offer? I discovered I needed to build a NAS box for someone on December 1st, and if this offer was viable it would be epic...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Yeah there is a December offer. Clicky linky for form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Brilliant, NeoRox - much obliged!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Took about 5 weeks to receive the cheque. I didn't send in the post by instead emailed them a scanned copy of the claim and invoice. AIB charged €4.20 to lodge the cheque. Immediately cleared thou.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

is this in stock anywhere atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

€275.55 at Dabs.

sesswhat wrote: »
    €275.55 at Dabs.
    fingers crossed that should (hopefully) get fixed soon enough. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75974788#post75974788

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

vibe666 wrote: »
    fingers crossed that should (hopefully) get fixed soon enough. ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75974788#post75974788

Not looking very likely.

sesswhat wrote: »
    ah well, it was worth a go. :o

still, at least we know that they're not making huge profits at our expense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

MartMax wrote: »
    Took about 5 weeks to receive the cheque. I didn't send in the post by instead emailed them a scanned copy of the claim and invoice. AIB charged €4.20 to lodge the cheque. Immediately cleared thou.

MartMax, any chance you can post the email ad you sent it to, as i would like to email them as well?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

it's promotions (at) outbound (.) co (.) uk same as the email on the claim form. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭PCDub

Just ordered from dabs and used code IE10SAVE to get 10e off, so 265e delivered not bad especially if i get the 120e cashback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I've been waiting to set this up for a while as i waited for HHD's to arrive for america. I'm looking for advice on the best OS to install as I would like to use this primarily as a NAS Server.

I would like to use it for: FTP download for music and movies/rapidshare downloads/streaming movies and music to xbox/laptop/touchpad. I'd like to be able to let my friends access the server aswell. The ones iv'e been thinking about are freeNas, WHS (although i read on here it will only recognise 4gb ram while i have 5gb installed) I'm not opposed to using a linux server as ive ubuntu installed on it now just to play around with while waiting for the disks. I haven't decided on what raid array to run. I have 2 TB drives in the bays and had an extra 2TB at home which i'm going to mount in the ODD slot with a usb external drive for giving to my friends for stealing their media. I was thinking about raid5 but havent made up my mind yet...

just wondering is it just a preference thing or would most of the OS's do the job for me.

What do people think?

Advertisement