Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

It has been extended in the UK so will probably be the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭wandererz

Just setting one of these up.
    I have enabled RAID in the BIOS & rebooted

Pressing CRL-F gets me into a menu where i can View & Delete LD.

Drives show up as single assignment.

No option to create an array.

What am i missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Do-more wrote: »
    No update on their website, still saying it expired on July 31.

According to this it is extended till August 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Just building mine now and upgraded the ram, if anyone wants the one gig stick that comes as standard (for free) to add to their their N36L let me know. Its collect only, in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

I'll take the RAM if it is still going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@ Cyberspider, great, sent you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 itsabagel

How do I install Ubuntu Server on this without a USB keyboard connected to it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

You could do some PXE boot magic. You have to make the PXE install image yourself I'd imagine. And you'd have to hope the system is set to boot of the network by default. Not sure what the default settings are.

EDIT:
    There is no serial port on the back, but there might be a COM header on the mobo so you could do it off serial either is it does have one. I don't think it does though looking at this small picture: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/img3355b.jpg/sr=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or just spend a tenner on a usb keyboard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Will the offer be extended again?.. Seems it has in the UK

http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/pdf/MicroserverOfferSep2011_tcm_183_1054970.pdf

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Stevo105 wrote: »
    you might want to consider the extra cost of getting the legs on your TV unit strengthened to support the considerable size of that thing.

when they refer to it as a 'micro server' i assume they're comparing it to a 4U rack mounted alternative? :pac:

not a bad spec though and might make a handy file server, but i don't know if it would make a good HTPC, it's very big and likely to be noisy, not to mention that it's going to take up almost as much space as a midi tower (all be it laying down) but without as much internal space for drives etc. due to the desktop layout internally.

sorry, don't mean to shoot you down, i'm just thinking what i'd do with it.

also, if you were looking for something with more grunt, the HP ML110 G6 would probably be the best bet if HP come good with the cashback offer again, you could end up with a quad core xeon for less than 200 bones after the rebate, esp.now that the G7 is out now so they'll most likely be looking to get shot of the old G6 stock before too long. (fingers crossed) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

this thread makes me feel like my wife at a shoes and handbag sale! :(

i have absolutely no need for one of these (esp. since i already bought an ML110 G6 as a home server), but it's so hard not to buy one for that price.

Well I bought one, along with a Sapphire 6450 (GDDR5), 1 TB WD Caviar Green, and a Kingston 2GB ddr3 stick.

Would I have to take out the 1 GB preinstalled?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Baza210 wrote: »
    Well I bought one, along with a Sapphire 6450 (GDDR5), 1 TB WD Caviar Green, and a Kingston 2GB ddr3 stick.

There are two slots. Mine is sporting single 1 GB sticks in each. Thanks again vibe666 for the second. ;)

I hope the Kingston stick doesn't have any heatsink on it. There isn't much room.

HnoPn_thumb.jpg

Also, get a LCD screen. Lets you know what is going on at a glance.

EeqEn_thumb.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Jonathan wrote: »
    Baza210 wrote: »

There are two slots. Mine is sporting single 1 GB sticks in each. Thanks again vibe666 for the second. ;)

I hope the Kingston stick doesn't have any heatsink on it. There isn't much room.

HnoPn_thumb.jpg

Also, get a LCD screen. Lets you know what is going on at a glance.

EeqEn_thumb.jpg

Eh... It's HyperX Blue, there is a heatsink but it is pretty small. Hopefully it will fit.

About the LCD- I gotta get an ODD as this will be my new music server!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭logger

Offer now extended again until end of September.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2118127

Seems like they have plenty in stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmmmm, really tempted....current backup solution is less than ideal, but just bought a new phone. Hmmm.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    you might want to consider the extra cost of getting the legs on your TV unit strengthened to support the considerable size of that thing.

when they refer to it as a 'micro server' i assume they're comparing it to a 4U rack mounted alternative? :pac:

not a bad spec though and might make a handy file server, but i don't know if it would make a good HTPC, it's very big and likely to be noisy, not to mention that it's going to take up almost as much space as a midi tower (all be it laying down) but without as much internal space for drives etc. due to the desktop layout internally.

sorry, don't mean to shoot you down, i'm just thinking what i'd do with it.

also, if you were looking for something with more grunt, the HP ML110 G6 would probably be the best bet if HP come good with the cashback offer again, you could end up with a quad core xeon for less than 200 bones after the rebate, esp.now that the G7 is out now so they'll most likely be looking to get shot of the old G6 stock before too long. (fingers crossed) :)
    The running costs and environmental impact are micro too, thanks to the 85% efficient power supply unit. If you think of servers as complicated, space-eating machines, then think again. The MX130 S1 comes in a classic desktop chassis which can also be used vertically. And, best of all, it's so silent you will hardly know it's there. PRIMERGY MX130 S1 - the micro server for macro results!

Its the size of a small desktop not a mini tower. review say that its silent and with the better CPU you could even use it to play FIFA on your 40" TV when your not running XBMC.

Yes its more expensive but with the HP you have to buy a lot of extras before you can use it as a HTPC so you have to think of the end price. As a NAS box the HP server would be a great deal.

memory 2GBx2
    harddrives
    video card
    usb soundcard with optical out

The fujitsu doesn't come with a harddrive either.

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Its the size of a small desktop not a mini tower.
    look at the image of it on dabs. that's a full sized 5.25" DVD drive in it, it's far from compact and the design is borrowed from old IBM netvista desktops and those were always big, heavy & noisy.

7f72_xlarge.jpg

sorry, but i'm sticking with my original assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Ordered one of the units from Elara yesterday.

It really is a sensational price, I have been looking on adverts for weeks for an old pc to use as a fileserver but this is brand new and cheaper than most of the old 2nd hand machines.

I knew about this thread months ago but didn't notice the cashback part till yesterday.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AndrewR

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to understand what you'd need to upgrade this to a HTPC? and/or why it wouldn't be useful as a HTPC?

As a NAS I presume you'd attach it to your network via the ethernet connection, put in a few TB drives and use it as storage? what OS could you use for this (I presume it comes w/o an OS)? and is there any other software that would make it easier to configure etc.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

AndrewR wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to understand what you'd need to upgrade this to a HTPC? and/or why it wouldn't be useful as a HTPC?

As a NAS I presume you'd attach it to your network via the ethernet connection, put in a few TB drives and use it as storage? what OS could you use for this (I presume it comes w/o an OS)? and is there any other software that would make it easier to configure etc.

A

There is no sound for example, and don't think it would handle HD without a graphics card.
    I found this page useful, though haven't gotten around to upgrading mine yet.

Mine arrived today. Kingston RAM went in fine, as well as the WD Caviar Green. Ubuntu Server 11.04 on it right now.

Unfortunately my hopes of running it as a dedicated TF2 server have been dashed by srcds/hlds's lack of multithreading ... but it should be adequate for quake III arena :)

mcgovern wrote: »
    I found this page useful

This is a bit more recent for anyone looking for ideas to turn it into a HTPC
    http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums/topic/37047-hp-proliant-microserver-n36l-htpc-build/

Psssh... who need HDMI.

Unless, you know, you want audio...

:/

• Advertisement

If anyone is looking for the fan that SPCR installed in their review, you can get it from QuietPC. I'll be installing it along with my 6450 this weekend.

Advertisement