Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derry/Londonderry naming dispute

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

owenc wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't do it because they know them bitter folk would cause a stir and they can't bothered with it. Ever think of that? It isn't all about nationalists you know. Anyway i think they should change it but not to derry but to something else as them bitter folk will find an excuse to complain :rolleyes: (yes Northern ireland folk get offended by everything if you painted the road blue they'd be fighting over it.. its so bloody annoying! :mad: ) but i do think they should keep the county as londonderry as it was never derry anyway and its part of our history. I would definitely be for derry to be renamed but not the county sorry but no thats part of our history and we aren't going to change it to please yous you can like it or lump it. It was never derry anyway.

What are you blabbering on about in that above?

I think this thread has run its course, no? Its just the same people trying to argue the same thing over and over and over and over and...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks for the kind moderating tips homer_simpson :rolleyes:

owen_c, I have to agree I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure it's taking the thread in an unpleasant direction so if you would refrain from trying to turn it into an argument or 'debate' about nationalists/unionists doing what they do etc. the mods would appreciate it.

homer_simpson, there's no need to refer to another poster's opinion as 'blabbering' as you know. The thread is currently open because, with a few exceptions, there is an ongoing coherent discussion on the original topic. Any concerns you have are but a 'report post' icon-push away from the mods.

Back on topic now if you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

pow wow wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind moderating tips homer_simpson :rolleyes:

It's not a moderating tip its an opinion, or is it that i am a mod i'm not entitled to that? The thread is donkeys old and i feel it has run its course, i didn't come on and Say mods close this now! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yes i did report it too! that was said in a different context if you'd care to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Derry, for both to the County and City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Ding ding, the Mods are fighting with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The people who want it changed back to it's original name should campaign to have it changed to 'DublinDerry'. Objectionists would be in uproar and then the originalists would say... okay then we'll let it be revert to it's original name and the objectionists would think 'phew' and be all pleased.

I used to employ this tactic to get money off my parents as a youngfella.

I'd come running into my Ma or DA (needing 2 quid) and say

'I need a tenner for *insert excuse*..'

'what?! a tennner?'

*Haggle haggle haggle*

'Okay then have you got 2 quid?'

'uh okay' (thinking they'd gotten off with 8 quid)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Bogside = Derry.
    Foyleside = Londonderry.

Partition should have been on the Foyle, ala Strabane/Lifford, then you wouldn't have this problem.

It was all the Boundary Commission's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Bogside = Derry.
    Foyleside = Londonderry.

Don't you mean Cityside and Waterside?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Maybe they didn't do it because they know them bitter folk would cause a stir and they can't bothered with it. Ever think of that? It isn't all about nationalists you know. Anyway i think they should change it but not to derry but to something else as them bitter folk will find an excuse to complain :rolleyes: (yes Northern ireland folk get offended by everything if you painted the road blue they'd be fighting over it.. its so bloody annoying! :mad: ) but i do think they should keep the county as londonderry as it was never derry anyway and its part of our history. I would definitely be for derry to be renamed but not the county sorry but no thats part of our history and we aren't going to change it to please yous you can like it or lump it. It was never derry anyway.
    Londonderry???:D.You gotta love those brits.Clearly the London(:D) bit was put in to antagonise the Nationalist community. Bristolbelfast or something next.Ha ha.Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Londonderry???:D.You gotta love those brits.Clearly the London(:D) bit was put in to antagonise the Nationalist community. Bristolbelfast or something next.Ha ha.Morons.
    1 week ban.

Troll elsewhere please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I wonder how the folks in Derry/Londonderry, New Hampshire feel about their town names? I bet they couldn't give a toss, as it is just a name. Nothing to get worked up about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=new+hampshire&sll=43.193852,-71.572395&sspn=3.795714,9.008789&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=New+Hampshire&ll=42.869925,-71.330109&spn=0.238535,0.563049&z=10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mgmt wrote: »
    I wonder how the folks in Derry/Londonderry, New Hampshire feel about their town names? I bet they couldn't give a toss, as it is just a name. Nothing to get worked up about.

I'll bet they don't have a similar history though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bogside = Derry.
    Foyleside = Londonderry.

Partition should have been on the Foyle, ala Strabane/Lifford, then you wouldn't have this problem.

Makes geographical sense al right, don't know if it would have worked administratively.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Bogside = Derry.
    Foyleside = Londonderry.

Get with it, don't you mean Cityside and Waterside areas. As using the Foyle as a natural divide. Once Donegal came right up to the Foyle and all of the Derryside/Cityside was part of Donegal, using as I think you mean, the Foyle as a natural divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

this is definitely what should have happened in hindsight. In all probability, Bloody Sunday would never have happened.

Having said that it would probably mean that all the shopping centres and pubs would be on the Waterside now, as no one would be interested in paying over the odds on the 'south-side'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Bogside = Derry.
    Foyleside = Londonderry.

Yes this is what i think they should do considering derry is owned by people from flipping donegal. :rolleyes: Derry is a nationalist town anyway, why don't they join donegal and keep the rest of the county in the uk? I think that would be better since most of us outside derry are unionists.I actually wonder sometimes where the people from derry are that actually live there because theres more cars from donegal in derry than from derry itself.. Its the same with Magerha and magerfelt they should be in tyrone right upto the roe valley area ( dungiven is the end of the true county londonderry) no wonder people from maghera don't sound like people from here... and then my town should be in county antrim but i don't think we could do that because the town is on both sides of the river. The accent here is the same as ballymoney so really we should be in antrim anyway.

K-9 wrote: »
    Makes geographical sense al right, don't know if it would have worked administratively.

It would if they moved the border to limavady borough and added eglinton to limavady and then took out all of derry borough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes this is what i think they should do considering derry is owned by people from flipping donegal. :rolleyes: I actually wonder sometimes where the people from derry are that actually live there because theres more cars from donegal in derry than from derry itself.. Its the same with Magerha and magerfelt they should be in tyrone right upto the roe valley area ( dungiven is the start of it) no wonder people from maghera don't sound like people from here... and then my town should be in county antrim but i don't think we could do that because the town is on both sides of the river. The accent here is the same as ballymoney so really we should be in antrim anyway. Derry is a nationalist town anyway, why don't they join donegal and keep the rest of the county in the uk? I think that would be better since most of us outside derry are unionists.

4 of the counties have a Nationalist majority though owen!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

It would if they moved the border to limavady borough and added eglinton to limavady and then took out all of derry borough.
    then the crying would start as the republic would have to pay for their health service and most of them would lose jobs ect ,

K-9 wrote: »
    4 of the counties have a Nationalist majority though owen!

Yep thats what i'm saying is that there will be a row here if it comes to a referendum and we have to join yous. Because outside derry there is a unionist majority but inside derry there is a nationalist majority so basically they would decide for us and that would not be fair. EDIT: 4 ! What its three at the very most and the third one is a mix so it dosen't really have nationalist majority sorry and i bet if they all voted that they wouldn't vote for a united ireland.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    then the crying would start as the republic would have to pay for their health service and most of them would lose jobs ect ,

Awk i couldn't care less about derry anyway. :pac: Them republican folk would soon run back to the uk when they realised how much better it is... they just have this stupid dream that everyone would be running around like fairys well naw its not gonny work!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yes this is what i think they should do considering derry is owned by people from flipping donegal. :rolleyes: Derry is a nationalist town anyway, why don't they join donegal and keep the rest of the county in the uk? I think that would be better since most of us outside derry are unionists.I actually wonder sometimes where the people from derry are that actually live there because theres more cars from donegal in derry than from derry itself.. Its the same with Magerha and magerfelt they should be in tyrone right upto the roe valley area ( dungiven is the end of the true county londonderry) no wonder people from maghera don't sound like people from here... and then my town should be in county antrim but i don't think we could do that because the town is on both sides of the river. The accent here is the same as ballymoney so really we should be in antrim anyway.

Whats the origin of the car or weather or not people live there got to with things or the name of the place. Am sure theres people from both sides of the Boarder that call the place by its both names. Thats mainly just people travelling up to get a good deal. I done it for years whilst living in Letterkenny

You could say the same thing about Enniskillen. Any time I'm up there half the cars are have Irish plates.

Awk i couldn't care less about derry anyway. :pac: Them republican folk would soon run back to the uk when they realised how much better it is... they just have this stupid dream that everyone would be running around like fairys well naw its not gonny work!
    they have a dream but its a dream,when reality sets in they will follow the other 100,000 irish men and women and head back to the UK so they can feed their families,but good luck to them

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whats the origin of the car or weather or not people live there got to with things or the name of the place. Am sure theres people from both sides of the Boarder that call the place by its both names. Thats mainly just people travelling up to get a good deal. I done it for years whilst living in Letterkenny

You could say the same thing about Enniskillen. Any time I'm up there half the cars are have Irish plates.

Its just that donegal folk are like nearly everywhere in derry thats what i'm saying theres no point in them being with us. They don't want to be with su anyway.

they have a dream but its a dream,when reality sets in they will follow the other 100,000 irish men and women and head back to the UK so they can feed their families,but good luck to them

Yea i agree totally and thats what i and many other folk will be doing as we all know there will be trouble about and it won't be safe to stay here especially with my parents jobs and things and then we don't really want irish rule anyway thats another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whadyasay

Doire Chollumchile

Yea i agree totally and thats what i and many other folk will be doing as we all know there will be trouble about and it won't be safe to stay here especially with my parents jobs and things and then we don't really want irish rule anyway thats another thing.
    there between a rock and a hard place,they want to be irish but then they still want the rest of the UK tax payers to keep them. certainly bankrupt ireland cannot afford them,so i doubt that at this time they would welcome them.

there between a rock and a hard place,they want to be irish but then they still want the rest of the UK tax payers to keep them. certainly bankrupt ireland cannot afford them,so i doubt that at this time they would welcome them.

Aye us folk will not be joining them anytime soon thats all i can say and if they are they are mad and even when them folk down there aren't in dire straights your still mad for voting to join them , no offence like its just the way it is. You are right about the irish thing you can still be irish if you live in northern ireland so i don't really see the problem but whatever thats not to say that we all call ourselves irish (most of us consider ourselves northern irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

getz and owenc both banned for deliberately derailing the thread.

Unfortunately I have no choice but to lock this now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement