Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry/Londonderry naming dispute

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

We should call it Dublinderry. Or after the real capital of Ireland, Taraderry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

newmug wrote: »
    We should call it Dublinderry. Or after the real capital of Ireland, Taraderry

No bloody way!!

owenc wrote: »
    No bloody way!!

Now you know how it feels!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine if it was FORCED upon you to call it that!

Penfailed wrote: »
    Don't believe everything you hear. There's fighting in lots of bars in lots of towns and cities all over Ireland. When the drink's in the wit's out as a wise man once said :D

All bars are bad lol.. Whatever about bars..

Now you know how it feels!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine if it was FORCED upon you to call it that!

Lol love your reaction.. The thing is it's not forced the people have the choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I just wish they'd bring back County Coleraine. :(

Whatever about what locals call that particular city, yiz need to come to some agreement for the sake of foreign visitors. It's a bit mad having all that slash nonsense.

Lol love your reaction.. The thing is it's not forced the people have the choice

It was forced until 1998, and it took 30 years of kicking the british army's arse to get the right to change it. And we still dont have the choice properly, someone from Kerry, for example, would have no say in the naming of Derry, a city in their own country.

It was forced until 1998, and it took 30 years of kicking the british army's arse to get the right to change it. And we still dont have the choice properly, someone from Kerry, for example, would have no say in the naming of Derry, a city in their own country.

.. And I wonder why.. You are in a different country nevermind county i think it's up to us not you's .. Btw never believe the republican myths that your grandparents told you it's all nonscence.. :rolleyes:

.. And I wonder why.. You are in a different country nevermind county i think it's up to us not you's .. Btw never believe the republican myths that your grandparents told you it's all nonscence.. :rolleyes:

Not this sh1te again lad. A minute ago you said the people have the choice to change the name, now you're saying only a select bunch of people, with a specific citizenship, from within an artificial border, yet on occupied land, can vote to change the city's name. And then a slur on my grandparents? Cop yourself on lad. Tell me this, what language is the word "derry" from, and what does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

The place is called DERRY confused tourists call it london derry..

• Advertisement

Not this sh1te again lad. A minute ago you said the people have the choice to change the name, now you're saying only a select bunch of people, with a specific citizenship, from within an artificial border, yet on occupied land, can vote to change the city's name. And then a slur on my grandparents? Cop yourself on lad. Tell me this, what language is the word "derry" from, and what does it mean?

No I said the people have the choice what to call it.. It should be renamed something else and tbh who cares I hate the place canny stick the place nor the accent constant whines in my ears Ewgh no harm Tay anyone from there... My mums from there so you canny say anything... Yes that is true why should yous have the choice when you don't even live in northern ireland I'd love to see your face if we named Dublin London.. You wouldnt like that would ye!?Oh and Its Irish obviously.. And no I don't know what it is in Irish because I don't speak Irish end of... One question do you republicans ever think what it would he like to be in a unionists shoes yous never seem to respect our opinions and always think you'd are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It should be renamed something else and tbh who cares

You, obviously :)
    canny stick the place nor the accent constant whines in my ears Ewgh no harm Tay anyone from there... My mums from there so you canny say anything

You are typing as you speak...I can almost hear you say, "canny" and "tay"...the Macosquin/Kowlrain accent isn't all that either :D
    One question do you republicans ever think what it would he like to be in a unionists shoes yous never seem to respect our opinions and always think you'd are right!

Massive generalisation right there ^^^ BTW, people from the Republic are not necessarily republican. Chip needs to be removed from shoulder.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,860 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Within 24 hours we have more posts in this thread than the combined number of posts in the previous 7 threads put together with the oldest thread going back to December last year. I think that says a lot about the strength of feeling on this topic.

However this was debated to death before and I can see a few trolls appearing here with a good measure of baiting thrown into the mix.

Id ask you all to be very careful with your comments please and stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Does County Derry/Londonderry/Oak Leaf actually exist anymore officially?

Think it's organised on Council Boroughs now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Poll added at the kind suggestion of a poster.

Is there going to be a public consultation (vote or similar) to do with the name change or is it just going to be discussed by the Council and implemented if agreed on?

K-9 wrote: »

I dont know about the city but county Londonderry still exists because it's on our letters..Oh and we don't do counties for local government anymore we do councils but we are making them larger because they are too small I think my areas and the majority of the county is joining up with north Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I dont know about the city but county Londonderry still exists because it's on our letters..Oh and we don't do counties for local government anymore we do councils but we are making them larger because they are too small I think my areas and the majority of the county is joining up with north Antrim
    they call it derry for the locals and the irish,but this year the the derry/londonderry council is advertising it as londonderry[city of culture]to the billions around the world,

getz wrote: »
    they call it derry for the locals and the irish,but this year the the derry/londonderry council is advertising it as londonderry[city of culture]to the billions around the world,

God love the people who goto Derry who have to listen to that accent youll naw know whars hit you.. ( it's like a pile of wee girls whining and they constantly say the word lik btw not like .. And they pronounce the word not as nat as if there's an a in it a Ewgh they sound like Americans... Listen to your woman nadine coyle and you'll know what I'm talking about... They're not all like that though if you go outside derry a few miles the accent is better it's a bit like the Limavady accent which is basic northern Ireland.. ) but anyway good luck for them...

K-9 wrote: »

Yes. How else would they work out the boundaries for the GAA team? :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

pow wow wrote: »
    Is there going to be a public consultation (vote or similar) to do with the name change or is it just going to be discussed by the Council and implemented if agreed on?

Unless the make-up of the council changes, there will be no official name change any time soon.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »

No they're not. It's being billed as Derry - Londonderry UK City of Culture 2013. Have a look here - http://www.cityofculture2013.com/Our-2013-Bid/Home.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

God love the people who goto Derry who have to listen to that accent youll naw know whars hit you.. ( it's like a pile of wee girls whining and they constantly say the word lik btw not like .. And they pronounce the word not as nat as if there's an a in it a Ewgh they sound like Americans... Listen to your woman nadine coyle and you'll know what I'm talking about... They're not all like that though if you go outside derry a few miles the accent is better it's a bit like the Limavady accent which is basic northern Ireland.. ) but anyway good luck for them...

owenc, ease off on the criticisms of other peoples' accents. I'm sure some people would find yours amusing, as I'm sure they would mine. Posts like the one above serve no purpose other than to get peoples' backs up.

Keeping the thread on topic would be appreciated also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 madraj55

A for the love of god.. tbh i really couldn't give a crud.. but this is the way i and most people work

The City= Derry.

The county= County Londonderry.. Name was never county derry anyway...

No one calls the city "Londonderry" except bitter bigots.. Personally i would prefer the citys name to be changed to something better because i'm sick and tired of people going about this.. both outside and in my school.. especially my school:mad: Btw protestants don't call it londonderry its only bitter protestants that do that don't listen to them ones who say protestants do because they don't everyone i know calls it derry except for the ones who are looking for a row.. :rolleyes: I'd would be over the world if the name was changed its so annoying having to say londonderry to the bitter ones i hate saying that because i feel like a bigot... I wouldn't be for the county name changing though, i like the county name..

That's been my experience as well. Only the londongregorys of this place insist on the 'london' bit, and not only that, they aren't even satisfied with the city of culture's title because it has Derry in front. They need to get a life sharpish. I favour the option of leaving the part inside the walls as it was built at the time of the charter as 'Londonderry', and the rest in the informal as is generally used anyway. But not obsessing about it.

madraj55 wrote: »
    That's been my experience as well. Only the londongregorys of this place insist on the 'london' bit, and not only that, they aren't even satisfied with the city of culture's title because it has Derry in front. They need to get a life sharpish. I favour the option of leaving the part inside the walls as it was built at the time of the charter as 'Londonderry', and the rest in the informal as is generally used anyway. But not obsessing about it.

Aw aye i know what you are going on about they are a nightmare, although over here it ain't that bad lol they don't really care about the derry bit.. i say just get rid of it and totally change the name to something else.. no doubt if you changed the county to county coleraine they'd say that we picked coleraine because it was protestant town..:mad: ewgh don't talk to me about people in northern ireland.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Aw aye i know what you are going on about they are a nightmare, although over here it ain't that bad lol they don't really care about the derry bit.. i say just get rid of it and totally change the name to something else.. no doubt if you changed the county to county coleraine they'd say that we picked coleraine because it was protestant town..:mad: ewgh don't talk to me about people in northern ireland.:mad:

actually it wouldnt be county coleraine - it would be "co. cúil raithin" - (if they go by the council emblem)

please note - this is the only council to have irish in their emblem when it was originally set up - you dont learn that at school.

actually it wouldnt be county coleraine - it would be "co. cúil raithin" - (if they go by the council emblem)

please note - this is the only council to have irish in their emblem when it was originally set up - you dont learn that at school.

Dream on..:rolleyes: Love to see people here when you did that you'd get beat up.. nay chance of that here sonny! Sorry we don't speak irish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

.:mad: ewgh don't talk to me about people in northern ireland.:mad:

By the way how are the people up there.

Dream on..:rolleyes: Love to see people here when you did that you'd get beat up.. nay chance of that here sonny! Sorry we don't speak irish here.

Its not Irish, its Gaelic - The language of Gaul, Brittany, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, the Orkneys, Shetlands, Arans, and once upon a time even england! But seeing as you cant speak your own language, we'll continue to use bastardised German for your benefit.

Its not Irish, its Gaelic - The language of Gaul, Brittany, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, the Orkneys, Shetlands, Arans, and once upon a time even england! But seeing as you cant speak your own language, we'll continue to use bastardised German for your benefit.

Irish is not my own language and never will be, English is my own language and only english no other language. I cannot stick the irish language and as a matter of a fact i think it is a complete utter waste of time learning irish but each to their own.. and no i'm not up for a discussion about learning irish! After all this is about the derry city naming dispute..

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    By the way how are the people up there.

At present they are doing my head in and i can't wait to move out of here.. and no i will not return!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement