Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry/Londonderry naming dispute

Options
  • 08-03-2011 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

What is your view?

What should the city be called? 38 votes

Londonderry
    0% 0 votes
    Derry
    5% 2 votes
    Whatever the people who live there decide
    94% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I prefer Derreh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Derry.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

A for the love of god.. tbh i really couldn't give a crud.. but this is the way i and most people work

The City= Derry.

The county= County Londonderry.. Name was never county derry anyway...

No one calls the city "Londonderry" except bitter bigots.. Personally i would prefer the citys name to be changed to something better because i'm sick and tired of people going about this.. both outside and in my school.. especially my school:mad: Btw protestants don't call it londonderry its only bitter protestants that do that don't listen to them ones who say protestants do because they don't everyone i know calls it derry except for the ones who are looking for a row.. :rolleyes: I'd would be over the world if the name was changed its so annoying having to say londonderry to the bitter ones i hate saying that because i feel like a bigot... I wouldn't be for the county name changing though, i like the county name..

owenc wrote: »
    A for the love of god.. tbh i really couldn't give a crud.. but this is the way i and most people work

The City= Derry.

The county= County Londonderry

This is the way you and most Protestants work ;)
    I'd would be over the world if the name was changed its so annoying having to say londonderry to the bitter ones i hate saying that because i feel like a bigot... I wouldn't be for the county name changing though, i like the county name..

You say that it's annoying to say Londonderry...but then say that you like the county name...eh?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    This is the way you and most Protestants work ;)

You say that it's annoying to say Londonderry...but then say that you like the county name...eh?

Yea i don't like saying londonderry because it doesn't sound right and its an offence to the catholics.. and as for County Londonderry well thats its correct name it was never County Derry.. theres a difference derry city was orginally derry ,county londonderry wasn't originally county derry.. Here is a bit of history as most people on here don't know much about the name of the area : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Coleraine

• Advertisement

Yea i don't like saying londonderry because it doesn't sound right and its an offence to the catholics.. and as for County Londonderry well thats its correct name it was never County Derry.. theres a difference derry city was orginally derry ,county londonderry wasn't originally county derry..

Hmmm...you say the city name doesn't sound right and it's an offence to Catholics. Don't you think calling the county by the same name is an offence to Catholics?

Hmmm...you say the city name doesn't sound right and it's an offence to Catholics. Don't you think calling the county by the same name is an offence to Catholics?

No because people here don't see it like that.. they only take offence to the city name because it was called derry originally, the county wasn't so they can't take offence to something that wasn't there.. They should name derry something else..

No because people here don't see it like that.. they only take offence to the city name because it was called derry originally, the county wasn't so they can't take offence to something that wasn't there.. They should name derry something else..

Please don't assume how people 'here' see it. You have no idea where I am from ;) If you think it should be called County Londonderry because that's what it was called before, then why not take it back to first principles and call it County Coleraine. I should say at this point that I respect people's right to call it whatever they want...I may not like it though.

Please don't assume how people 'here' see it. You have no idea where I am from ;) If you think it should be called County Londonderry because that's what it was called before, then why not take it back to first principles and call it County Coleraine. I should say at this point that I respect people's right to call it whatever they want...I may not like it though.

Well i'd be fine with that... and i know rightly were your from by the way your talking.;) It is viewed differently here to it is in derry city because that is a catholic area.. how about we forget about derry city and talk about the rest of the county as far as the rest of the county it is county londonderry as far as derry city it is county derry..

It is viewed differently here to it is in derry city because that is a catholic area..

Try telling that to people in the Fountain or the Waterside :D
    how about we forget about derry city and talk about the rest of the county as far as the rest of the county it is county londonderry as far as derry city it is county derry..

I'm not sure I understand this bit ^^^ :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Gerry Anderson christened it Stroke City. Sounds good to me.

Try telling that to people in the Fountain or the Waterside :D

I'm not sure I understand this bit ^^^ :confused:

Aw god don't talk about them canny stick them they are the worst.. They're the ones I have the most difficulties with as per say the name .. Im trying to say that the majority outside Derry city would call it county Londonderry.. I'd be for it to be changed to county Coleraine but no doubt theyd find a way to get offended by that.. Dont talk

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just say Derry for city and county, easy and quick to say.

biko wrote: »
    I just say Derry for city and county, easy and quick to say.

Naw there'd be a row over that.. Them Orangemen would be blowing the place up.. Nearly got beat up one day for saying Derry and I'm only a wane too..:rolleyes:

Im trying to say that the majority outside Derry city would call it county Londonderry.

See, I reckon you'd be wrong. There is a Catholic majority in the county. I don't know any that would call it County Londonderry. On the other hand, I know lots of Protestants that call it County Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Derry City, Derry County.. Or Doire. But never Londonderry.

See, I reckon you'd be wrong. There is a Catholic majority in the county. I don't know any that would call it County Londonderry. On the other hand, I know lots of Protestants that call it County Derry.

Erm no there's not a catholic majority outside Derry because east londonderry is 60percent Protestant exactly so technically the majority of the landless of the county is Protestant . But thats not what it's about I say change The names of both if them

Erm no there's not a catholic majority outside Derry because east londonderry is 60percent Protestant exactly.. But thats not what it's about I say change The names of both if them

Are you sure - Since 1981 it has become one of four counties in Northern Ireland that has a Catholic majority (55.56% according to the 2001 Census), with 57% of the Catholic population residing within Derry City Borough ;)
    But thats not what it's about I say change The names of both if them

Personally, I'd prefer them to change both officially to Derry. As that is unlikely any time soon, I'd say keep it as it is and let the people call it what they want.

Are you sure - Since 1981 it has become one of four counties in Northern Ireland that has a Catholic majority (55.56% according to the 2001 Census), with 57% of the Catholic population residing within Derry City Borough ;)

Personally, I'd prefer them to change both officially to Derry. As that is unlikely any time soon, I'd say keep it as it is and let the people call it what they want.

Aye 57 percent of them living in Derry city that says something about the catholic population outside Derry city;) no I want them named something new because there will be rows and I don't want to call it county Derry because then you sound like a republican .. Anyway were are you from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

indeed. me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I don't want to call it county Derry because then you sound like a republican ..
    just because someone calls it County Derry - doesnt make them automatically republican.

I want them named something new because there will be rows

There will be a row no matter what...you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time *shrugs*
    I don't want to call it county Derry because then you sound like a republican

Living in Macosquin, you may sound like a republican to your friends if you called it County Derry. This simply isn't the case for lots of people :)
    Anyway were are you from

I was specifically vague when typing my location over there <<< for a reason. Let's just say, I'm originally from a town in South Derry...but I no longer reside there :)

just because someone calls it County Derry - doesnt make them automatically republican.

Well that's my opinion - you sound like someone from that background edit: not you directly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Dureh

There will be a row no matter what...you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time *shrugs*

Living in Macosquin, you may sound like a republican to your friends if you called it County Derry. This simply isn't the case for lots of people :)

I was specifically vague when typing my location over there <<< for a reason. Let's just say, I'm originally from a town in South Derry...but I no longer reside there :)

Well yes that is true but only for the county because I don't know anyone in macosquin village who actually calls the city Londonderry nearly everyone calls the county county Londonderry though .. Well to prevent rows name it something that has nothing to do with that.. Let me guess maghera

Well that's my opinion - you sound like someone from that background

Please. Not all Catholics are republicans...and I used the small 'r' on purpose.
    Let me guess maghera

Guess away...you're not going to get it out of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Depends on which bar I'm in in the city :D

deman wrote: »
    Depends on which bar I'm in in the city :D

Tbh wouldn't go into ant of them after the stories i hear plus there's lots of fighting in them!!

Please. Not all Catholics are republicans...and I used the small 'r' on purpose.

Guess away...you're not going to get it out of me :D

Uck come on you know what I'm talking about .. Aw well lol

• Advertisement

Tbh wouldn't go into ant of them after the stories i hear plus there's lots of fighting in them!!

Don't believe everything you hear. There's fighting in lots of bars in lots of towns and cities all over Ireland. When the drink's in the wit's out as a wise man once said :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement