Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry/Londonderry naming dispute

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have moved the last few posts (on the lack of participation in the NI forums) to a new thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Hello boys and girls. Stop the bickering please. Discussion is discussion but don't make it personal. Either way if changed or not, people will call it whatever they want.

So far i've heard Londonderry, Derry, Stroke City, Doire, Durreh, LEGENDerry, and a few others.

Official name is for official documents only. Call it whatever you want, but that's regarding the city's name, not each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its strange when the SF first minister of northern ireland martin mcguinnes who lives in the city, is on national TV calling it londonderry the UK city of culture 2013, it sounds as if both names are correct,so why is anyone getting upset ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;71106825']Hello boys and girls. Stop the bickering please. Discussion is discussion but don't make it personal. Either way if changed or not, people will call it whatever they want.

So far i've heard Londonderry, Derry, Stroke City, Doire, Durreh, LEGENDerry, and a few others.

Official name is for official documents only. Call it whatever you want, but that's regarding the city's name, not each other!

I prefer LundyDerry myself. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

getz wrote: »
    its strange when the SF first minister of northern ireland martin mcguinnes who lives in the city, is on national TV calling it londonderry the UK city of culture 2013, it sounds as if both names are correct,so why is anyone getting upset ?

Are you kiddin me! I think your seeing things!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Daaarryyyhhhiiiiiiii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Have you a link to this? I very much doubt you'd ever hear Martin McGuinness call it Londonderry, in the same way, I've never heard Gregory Campbell call it Derry...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Penfailed wrote: »
    Have you a link to this? I very much doubt you'd ever hear Martin McGuinness call it Londonderry, in the same way, I've never heard Gregory Campbell call it Derry...
    when he went to liverpool ,this is what he said,mr mcguiness said he felt there was a huge amount of goodwill behind the LONDONDERRY bid.including from us president barack obama,ok being in liverpool he probably being diplomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I'm easy on either.

I find that unionists from the place call it Derry, probably out of handiness to drop a few syllables. Unionists not from the place tend to be a bit more pedantic.

Its largely irrelevant anyway, the dispute is unnecessarily inflamed and politicised due to the nature of politics in this part of the world whereby the sole apparent goal in everything we do is to antagonise the "other side".

Same goes for issues with Irish language, etc.

[antagonise] the place is a kip anyway! ;) [/antagonise]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

when he went to liverpool ,this is what he said,mr mcguiness said he felt there was a huge amount of goodwill behind the LONDONDERRY bid.including from us president barack obama,ok being in liverpool he probably being diplomatic

Link or it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 madraj55

Penfailed wrote: »
    Are you sure - Since 1981 it has become one of four counties in Northern Ireland that has a Catholic majority (55.56% according to the 2001 Census), with 57% of the Catholic population residing within Derry City Borough ;)

Personally, I'd prefer them to change both officially to Derry. As that is unlikely any time soon, I'd say keep it as it is and let the people call it what they want.

The thing is, there's no reason why a version which is popular should be formalised to the official status, as there are lots of placenames in Ireland overall that have derry either at the start or the end. I'd favour leaving the old part within the walls as it is and leave the council free to name the rest, Derry. The formal title could be on an amended charter to read 'City of Derry incorporating the old city Londonderry' No doubt, Londongreg would have a coronary if that were adopted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 madraj55

biko wrote: »
    I just say Derry for city and county, easy and quick to say.

I agree with you on that. the natural tendency with long and cumbersome placenames is to shorten them, so not everybody who says 'Derry all the times they have reason to talk about the city/county can be considered as doing it on purpose for pointscoring. As someone who was born in the city but didn't grow up there, I go by a 'live and let live approach. I don't expect that natives of Newtownards, or newtownhamilton use the full title unless they are pedants like londongregory [who appears to have a chip on his shoulder about having a Pope's name].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

owenc wrote: »
    At present they are doing my head in and i can't wait to move out of here.. and no i will not return!!

As someone who lives in Northern Ireland but is not 'from' here, I have never known what to say. I tend to write 'Derry... (which in itself is incorrect as there should not be a capital letter after an apostrophe) and say " Derry/Londonderry.." so as not to alienate or offend anyone.

Is this bad or good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

annascott wrote: »
    As someone who lives in Northern Ireland but is not 'from' here, I have never known what to say. I tend to write 'Derry... (which in itself is incorrect as there should not be a capital letter after an apostrophe) and say " Derry/Londonderry.." so as not to alienate or offend anyone.

Is this bad or good?

As I said in an earlier post, just shorten it to Stroke. You may offend both sides but that's better than offending just one side.

As an afterthought, should the name of the soccer club be changed from Derry City to Stroke City ?

annascott wrote: »

Is this bad or good?

Hi what most people do is wait and see what the other person says and then use whatever they say but you'll not have to do that so often as everyone calls it Derry in fact I've yet to see anyone in my school actually call it Londonderry deliberately except outsidersfrom Belfast or something and no Protestants don't call it Londonderry either only people who are very bitter do ie people in the orange order and I have to laugh at then getting at us when their song says Derry not Londonderry!?

chughes wrote: »
    As I said in an earlier post, just shorten it to Stroke. You may offend both sides but that's better than offending just one side.

As an afterthought, should the name of the soccer club be changed from Derry City to Stroke City ?

Don't even bother doing that you'll just look like an idiot and people will think your a freak... Plus it's offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jumpin jaysus

derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

its derry all the way. i am from south county derry originally and i've nver called it anything else. the only thing that annoys me is that when i say i'm from derry, everyone always assumes it the city of derry. never have and never will call it londonderry.

Don't even bother doing that you'll just look like an idiot and people will think your a freak... Plus it's offensive

offensive as opposed to your quotes about the people of northern ireland??

its derry all the way. i am from south county derry originally and i've nver called it anything else. the only thing that annoys me is that when i say i'm from derry, everyone always assumes it the city of derry. never have and never will call it londonderry.

At least people don't think your from Antrim!? You are right no one calls it that except bitter people (it's different for the county though!?)

• Advertisement

offensive as opposed to your quotes about the people of northern ireland??

The thing is im from northern Ireland .. And I think alot of people from ni would agree way me..

yeah way to go putting down your own people. if you're from the north then you know how complicated it is. i'd love to move home.

yeah way to go putting down your own people. if you're from the north then you know how complicated it is. i'd love to move home.

Well your not missing anything!?

i'm home regularly (every month) and i lived there til i was 23 - you're exaggerating all aspects of it.

i'm home regularly (every month) and i lived there til i was 23 - you're exaggerating all aspects of it.

Your from a totally totally different place to me though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I don't know a single person who calls it anything but Derry\Doire,

When I was taught the Counties & County Capitals in School I was thought the name was Derry\Doire as gaelige for both the County & City, I presume this was the official name for both per the Department of Education and in turn by the Government.

(My reference for this assumption is in my life I attended 3 different Schools and each one referred to both the City & County as Derry whenever mentioned)

No because people here don't see it like that.. they only take offence to the city name because it was called derry originally, the county wasn't so they can't take offence to something that wasn't there.. They should name derry something else..

i might be from another part of derry but you can't speak for us all.

Neither can you and you can't possibly get offended over the county name as you have no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

It's Derry full stop. <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Londaíndoire

Contae Cuil Raithin

**** yeah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement