Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry/Londonderry naming dispute

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

owenc wrote: »
    Neither can you and you can't possibly get offended over the county name as you have no reason

i havent tried to speak for anyone but myself. i can and i will get offended over it and thats nothing to do with you. end of. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It's Derry full stop. Even the prods from Derry call it Derry.... City and county Eoin

Don't use that word again its highly offensive. Not county but city.. Oh and whos eoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

What word is that?

What word is that?

I don't I'm aloud <SNIP>

No offence mean't. To me it's not meant to be offensive, you can call me a cath if you want.

• Advertisement

No offence mean't. To me it's not meant to be offensive, you can call me a cath if you want.
    Naw don't worry it dosnt matter I just hate that word there's just something about it..

No sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

We should put Dublin before every town in Ireland.

Dublincork
    Dublinbelfast
    Dublinderry
    Dublinlimerick.

And rename Ireland Greater Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's Derry full stop. <SNIP>
    Please refrain from posting inflammatory remarks.

Warning given.

DingChavez wrote: »
    We should put Dublin before every town in Ireland.

Dublincork
    Dublinbelfast
    Dublinderry
    Dublinlimerick.

And rename Ireland Greater Dublin.

hmmm...

• Advertisement

Stick to the topic here people.

Hammertime

Hammertime
    It is. You're banned for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

its derry all the way. i am from south county derry originally and i've nver called it anything else. the only thing that annoys me is that when i say i'm from derry, everyone always assumes it the city of derry. never have and never will call it londonderry.

I find most people from the north rarely use their county to describe where their from. Usually say their city/town or nearest village.

Remember a mate from Ballymena was talking to a girl online from the south shouts over to me "BOS - what county am I from?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

i havent tried to speak for anyone but myself. i can and i will get offended over it and thats nothing to do with you. end of. :mad:

Sorry, I know that this is not related to the topic, but are you a fan of the little white dogs or the criminal gang?

Another 7 day ban.

I did ask everyone to get back on topic and I didn't post that warning just for the fun of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I really don't think it matters what its called myself, sure some people mightn't like the "london" part of if, equally people mightn't like it if its excluded, its a bit of a petty thing to argue over. The thing that gets me is that some people will refuse to recognize just Derry, ie. bus / train drivers, and some refuse to recognize LondonDerry, its silly!

There are far more important things to be worrying about at the present minute. Rather than spending time on the name thing, maybe the time would be better used on finding the people making and planting the recent spurt of bombs!

I really don't think it matters what its called myself, sure some people mightn't like the "london" part of if, equally people mightn't like it if its excluded, its a bit of a petty thing to argue over. The thing that gets me is that some people will refuse to recognize just Derry, ie. bus / train drivers, and some refuse to recognize LondonDerry, its silly!

There are far more important things to be worrying about at the present minute. Rather than spending time on the name thing, maybe the time would be better used on finding the people making and planting the recent spurt of bombs!

AW God Thats awful i feel like punching them in the face. :mad: Most of the time its irritating teenagers who really don't have a clue what they are talking about (and think they are better than catholics because they are protestants despite the fact that they don't attend church.:mad:) and listen to their bitter parents for everything instead of making their own opinions which is why Northern Ireland isn't moving forward. But w/e who cares about them. As for adults they have the knowledge to know and do not do that. Its funny when you look at the bitter ones and where they live isn't it, its just a coincidence that the most of them live in council estates no offence like!

owenc wrote: »
    AW God Thats awful i feel like punching them in the face. :mad: Most of the time its irritating teenagers who really don't have a clue what they are talking about (and think they are better than catholics because they are protestants despite the fact that they don't attend church.:mad:) and listen to their bitter parents for everything instead of making their own opinions which is why Northern Ireland isn't moving forward. But w/e who cares about them. As for adults they have the knowledge to know and do not do that. Its funny when you look at the bitter ones and where they live isn't it, its just a coincidence that the most of them live in council estates no offence like!
    You've crossed the line again with those comments owenc. 1 month ban applied.

Derry. Never heard it called anything different, apart from BBC, UTV, until I was nearly 20. Jaw dropped, was in the tech and this lad calling it Londonderry.

Funny thing was he went to a Camp America thing that year and insisted on getting an Irish passport!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jumpin jaysus

it has and always will be derry for me. to quote a line from the ding dong denny o reilly song 'i called derry londonderry thats how drunk id been';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

MartinDerry after Martin McGuinness

GerryDerry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Come on charlemont, this isn't After Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

The people have spoken, it should be called Derry. How is this thread still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Because there may still be some people who have yet to express an opinion and have an ongoing discussion about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I call it Derry, but won't be offended if you do the opposite. If you're offended at my use of Derry, tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

It's Derry according to i'd say at least 80% of the people in the City and County. Any unionist or protestant I know from Derry calls it that too. I have come across a few bitter types who call it Londonderry.

In the rest of NI it's probably a good bit more split with more unionists calling it Londonderry than in the actual city itself.

In the Republic it's Derry all the way.

Most UK media coverage - Londonderry the first time, Derry after that. Or Londonderry throughout.

It is the latter that confuses tourists etc. unfortunately.

On a side note, if anyone is worried about what to call it - Derry is far and away less likely to offend. I.e. saying Derry to someone from the unionist community would tend to be less offensive than saying Londonderry to someone from the nationalist community. Just because people know that Derry is shorter, whereas saying Londonderry is kind of making a statement.

But if your not from the area, not many people will fall out with you about getting the name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jumpin jaysus

would it be possible for a name change? where would it have to go the derry council?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Not sure how exactly but think it is. Beleive the council changed to Derry in the last 10 years or sumfin (might be mistaken). Think seen it hadda be the Queen change the name or something, maybe parliament. If it is the case, can't see many wanting to request it from her as most would see it as it shouldnt be nothing to do with her.

Think this is what I may have seen a few years ago but can't remember fully :rolleyes: If the council could it woulda been done ages ago imo.

• Advertisement

Berns wrote: »
    Not sure how exactly but think it is. Beleive the council changed to Derry in the last 10 years or sumfin (might be mistaken). Think seen it hadda be the Queen change the name or something, maybe parliament. If it is the case, can't see many wanting to request it from her as most would see it as it shouldnt be nothing to do with her.

Think this is what I may have seen a few years ago but can't remember fully :rolleyes: If the council could it woulda been done ages ago imo.

Maybe they didn't do it because they know them bitter folk would cause a stir and they can't bothered with it. Ever think of that? It isn't all about nationalists you know. Anyway i think they should change it but not to derry but to something else as them bitter folk will find an excuse to complain :rolleyes: (yes Northern ireland folk get offended by everything if you painted the road blue they'd be fighting over it.. its so bloody annoying! :mad: ) but i do think they should keep the county as londonderry as it was never derry anyway and its part of our history. I would definitely be for derry to be renamed but not the county sorry but no thats part of our history and we aren't going to change it to please yous you can like it or lump it. It was never derry anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement