Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Post the link to the car advert up (if its online) - so we can all have a look at it and help stop these **** artists

Remember if it looks too good to be true - well it probably isn't

Good luck & Thanks

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CarlowStuff

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a car to commute about 130 miles in total per day, is diesel the right way to go? Also, looking for a car for approximately 1000e. Does anyone have anyone have any recommendations?

Im 24 and have held a licence for 6 years, despite this, the insurance quotes I have gotten have been outrageous since I have not been drvino hence losing my no claims bonus. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

I would think your only option is Diesel.
    €1000 - in fairness you will be doing well to get a car for €1000 and your hoping it will stand up to 650 -750 miles per week (presume you will use it at weekends. That's close to 40000 miles per annum or over 60000km.

If your a mechanic or good with cars you might get a trade car or one at Auction, that needs a bit of work and you can fix up yourself.

Insurance: well its just a rip off anyway Question: will the insurance company put a limit on the age of the car you can drive (less than 10 years old)?

Post up any cars you have short listed (but be aware that people have preferences - some people love Fords and think their the best, some people don't like them, so there will be a little bias)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 alexlazarciuc

Hey guys,

Do you know what's the timeline to change the car registration certificate. Just courius in time how much will take since the previous owner sends the certificate and till I receive the new one?
    Meanwhile, is it possible for me to insurre the car and use it? Or I need to wait for certificate first?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hey guys,

Do you know what's the timeline to change the car registration certificate. Just courius in time how much will take since the previous owner sends the certificate and till I receive the new one?
    Meanwhile, is it possible for me to insurre the car and use it? Or I need to wait for certificate first?

Thanks in advance!

You're probably looking around 10 days. You can insure it in the meantime alright. If it's taxed and tested then drive away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CianW5

Well done that took time a lot of time to write up.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

DERICKOO wrote: »
    I have a query i am interested in a car van but person selling it is not in the country and has sent me this alternative for purchase as i am not familiar with this i am asking here for advise.

Reply from Seller
    Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I will agree for a 7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the car ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the car for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
    Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the car back on my cost!
    You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.ie/help/buy/contextual/return-policy.html

Thanks for your help

Think it's worth noting that paypal only covers buyer loss up to something like €200? I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

oknepop wrote: »
    Think it's worth noting that paypal only covers buyer loss up to something like €200? I could be wrong though

It's a scam...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

My mother has won a brand new car, so is going to sell her current car, which is valued at approx €11,000 looking at similar cars currently for sale.
    I've read the OP for things to look out for when buying a second hand car but is there anything on the flip side (selling a second hand car) that I should look out for? Specifically around payment (if car was to sell) and test drives (insurance issues?)

Thanks

There is a guide to selling a car too!

here

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There is a guide to selling a car too!

here

Cool, didnt see that! Cheers

What is it? Model Year condition etc - you never know who could be interested
    ?

Bravobabe wrote: »
    What is it? Model Year condition etc - you never know who could be interested
    ?

I'm guessing that's towards me? It's a 141 Opel Corsa Excite. I'll post up the link to the ad when I put it up later on

zefer wrote: »
    I'm guessing that's towards me? It's a 141 Opel Corsa Excite. I'll post up the link to the ad when I put it up later on

Here is the ad.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa-excite/14746768

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zefer wrote: »

Seems pretty expensive for a private sale considering this Opel dealer who will offer a warranty and discount, is asking not much more for one with tiny mileage:

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Opel/Corsa/EXCITE-1.2I/4549196214145199485/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gunt

Has anyone had any dealings with Bill Maher in Kilkenny?

I can't post links but here is a car on done deal that seems a bit too good to be true.

donedealdotie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-6-ghia/14727272

It's a 14 year old 1.6 Focus.
    Yes the mileage is low. It happens!

Bring someone who knows cars to check for rust as this can be an issue on them.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm going to bring someone who is mechanically minded. I'll keep my fingers crossed so :)

Gunt wrote: »
    Has anyone had any dealings with Bill Maher in Kilkenny?

I can't post links but here is a car on done deal that seems a bit too good to be true.

donedealdotie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-6-ghia/14727272

FYI that car is an absolute dud. Don't go near it.

Gunt wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yea I'm going to bring someone who is mechanically minded. I'll keep my fingers crossed so :)

Interestingly - no photos of the interior. If I was selling a car with low mileage, I would have a pic of the dash, showing the dials and the interior of the car. But when you see the car, you can check that out for yourself (Wear & tear on the seat, gear handle, foot pedals etc). Best of luck in your search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Am going to look at a van during the week (will bring a mechanic to check everything over). All going well and I decide to take the plunge, what should I make sure the seller gives me with regards to paperwork? What do I need to organise before I drive away? Sorry if it is covered before but couldn't find it in the op

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wilser wrote: »
    Am going to look at a van during the week (will bring a mechanic to check everything over). All going well and I decide to take the plunge, what should I make sure the seller gives me with regards to paperwork? What do I need to organise before I drive away? Sorry if it is covered before but couldn't find it in the op

The VLC/Logbook is supposed to be sent away by the seller and not handed to the buyer so the seller should post that away if you buy it.
    Check the CVRT is valid at cvrt.ie and that the disc is present.
    They might have owners manuals and service history to hand over.
    Organise insurance for you to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rudboy

Going to look a 09 1.3 swift with 170km on it. This seems like a lot of usage for a 7 year old small car? Any thoughts, it has a timing chain don't know if this makes a difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Just a quick one. It's there any way of getting the UK reg of a now Irish registered car? Car in question is a Ford. I think I read on boards before there's some check that can be done with Fords if you can get the vin number?

You'll need to check the Irish reg cert or do a history check

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Damokc wrote: »
    Just a quick one. It's there any way of getting the UK reg of a now Irish registered car? Car in question is a Ford. I think I read on boards before there's some check that can be done with Fords if you can get the vin number?

Ford etis

Will that give the uk reg number out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Will that give the uk reg number out?

Yes. If you have the VIN, it will give you the original registration number, be it UK or IE.

Every day's a school day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

grogi wrote: »
    Ford etis

Cheers. I knew there was something.

Advertisement