Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Whats the best/cheapest reg check for Uk car's? Its a year old being sold from a main dealer, so not sure if one is essential but then again its extra peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

What's the best website for checking a cars history? Saw a car I liked and it's only 2 years old and for sale in a well established garage(not a main dealer) but the car seems to be priced about 3k cheaper that what other garages are looking. Had a look at the car today and bar a small mark on the boot it seems in perfect condition. Wasn't inside the car as the garage was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Motorcheck/cartell.
    Have you a link to the ad?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Motorcheck/cartell.
    Have you a link to the ad?

Can I send it in a private message?

Yeah, fire away.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, fire away.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

this might been asked before but not sure is it proper section,but does anyone know is it possible to get insurance coverage for the day if buying car from NI dealership itself, to drive it back to South.And would it be standard option or smth that would need to be arranged,looking at getting used card but currently uninsured.

A lot of companies will insure on the U.K. number till you get VRT sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Im trying to ask can garages provide cover instead of insurer,as to someone who isnt insured but with valid licensnse etc to drive it back like 3h/day cover,since think seen people mention it in the past when going to UK,just not sure its widely used thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not very likely if you're not a UK resident.

• Advertisement

Any feedback on kylemore cars before I go there tomorrow?

They're largely good. Probably the best in that neck of the woods. Stuff is usually priced to sell so discounts are small. They underwrite stuff for a number of garages so a lot of stuff is direct from main dealers. They also do cash for cars so not all cars there are ex dealer stock. The family is in the motor trade an awful long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Not to be confused with Kylemore Trade Cars?

Hell no.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

VRT question. Is the VRT calculated on the emissions stated on the log book or are modifications also taken into account when it is being assessed?
    For example if the car had 18" wheels when registered but later on the wheels were changed to 20" would this push up the VRT as the CO2 emissions are now higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

No it'll be based off whatever's on the logbook/v5 ect

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KinsellaJ

Anybody have any experience of dealing with Saggart Motors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Ever had dealings with North West Motors....not to be confused with North West Autos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Looking at a Volkswagen passat 08 1.4ltr tsi 140,000 km for 6 grand.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Listen for timing chain rattling on start-up and make sure there is not rattling or hesitation when going through reg range, ask has the chain been changed previously. If it has never been changed, if you hear it rattling or if there is a patchy service history id budget €1k for a timing chain, they are prone to them.

They have various issues with the electronic parking brake, the release buttons on the dash give trouble but these are a cheap fix, the modules on the callipers can fail though and these are not cheap to fix. Make sure there are no braking system warning lights on the dash and that the handbrake releases cleanly, every time, otherwise, budget €500.

Steering column locks and also ignition keys can be dodgy. When you pop the key fob into the dash, make sure it unlocks the wheel and starts the car immediately and that you don't have to pop it in and out a few times to get it to start. If it does take a few attempts or there is a "steering wheel" warning on the dash, you may need an ESCL unit, these aren't cheap. Definitely budget €500 again. The key fob are also prone to failure over time, make sure all buttons on all available keys work, if they don't, dont listen to any "needs a battery" nonsense, it needs a key and the keys are €250 each from VW.

I'd be wary of heavy clutch pedals and knocking suspension/ uneven tyre wear too.

A clean one of those Passats can be a nice car but they are a minefield in terms of buying a good used one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Boooourns

That's a great post, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Silly question but if I buy a car from a dealer and the tax is out by a few months, is it a case that i've to pay the tax on that? I don't know if the garage has marked it "off the road" so whats the standard here? I've never done it before.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Silly question but if I buy a car from a dealer and the tax is out by a few months, is it a case that i've to pay the tax on that? I don't know if the garage has marked it "off the road" so whats the standard here? I've never done it before.
    Cheers.

You only need to pay it from the beginning of the month in which you purchase the car. Once the motortax office processes the transaction, you can request the PIN and tax it online.

You can also declare the car off-the-road from the moment you purchase it. You have 21 days to do it from the day of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

As long as I don't get pulled over while driving it home!!! :P:P

Just get a receipt from the dealer with the date of sale on it. Don't park it on public roads though as traffic wardens or the gardai can still issue a ticket for not displaying of a valid tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi there,

Am searching at the moment, but going to take my time until the right motor surfaces. Could ye please advise on what bases I need to cover Website wise? Does it have to be all of them?! Please let me know your regular 'must check' sites....

At the moment I check Done Deal, Carzone and
    Adverts.ie daily for new additions.... Its for a 7 seater if that happens to matter.

Thanks.

donedeal, carzone, carsireland would be the main ones in that order.

BTW I know someone selling their 09 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 7 seater, let me know if you want me to PM you a link to the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks Bazz, link away please - I'd been considering these but got worried after a bit, do they have some funky air suspension setup? I'm a bit wary of French cars generally and there's some scare stories online.

Kinda settled on the S-Max or Galaxy, budget is saying 2009....

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Thanks Bazz, link away please - I'd been considering these but got worried after a bit, do they have some funky air suspension setup? I'm a bit wary of French cars generally and there's some scare stories online.

Kinda settled on the S-Max or Galaxy, budget is saying 2009....

No, (Grand) C4 Picasso has regular suspension.

Advertisement