Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shinshine

Lads Im looking for advice here cos I know nothing about cars to be honest. My reliable 03 fiat punto has given up (years of running no problems the past 12 months everything it seems needs repairing) I've got a strict budget to stick to cos Im saving for a mortgage at the moment and cant take out a car loan, I literally need this car to last 12-18 months relatively problem free. I've seen a few Renault meganes that fit my price range: a 2006 with 220,000 miles for 1250 euros, a 04 with 91,000 miles for 750 and a 06 scenic with 117,000 miles for 1250. Obviously yer all not psychic and it depends on how the car was serviced etc but am i asking for trouble??? Ive seen so much bad reports on these cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes imo, Renaults of that vintage do not have a great reputation for reliability. You could get a good one but there are more bad ones out there than good ones. They are selling for peanuts for good reason.

If you want something relatively trouble free then I'd be looking at something like these:

Kia Rio:
    NThjNDc2ZGZjMjI0OWRiYzcxNGQ3YTYwZTgyM2U2YjMCUA3u4GYgFEvg83yWes1DaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MzI1MDkxMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-kia-rio-nct-2-18-tax-8-17/15409849

NmNkNjUxZjE2ZjdkNDA3NDRmYTkwNTlmNjBhMWU1NmRYXXhuiNGZj0mT2qFiqjSkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDg4NjM3NXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-kia-rio/15689145

Hyundai Accent:
    ZWMyMmNhNzhhZDI4MDFiMDRlZmFlYjE5Zjc5MTZiYTHZX8J7kbs3JjBmdNRpcZV5aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NDIyOTg4NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-accent/15577667

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shinshine

Thanks for the advice. I'm terrified of done deal though my brothers friend actually put something up on Facebook yesterday about a car he sold on donedeal a few years ago with at least 150,000 on the clock beginning sold again with only 90,000 on the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Done is just representative of the market. It's the biggest marketplace and of course you'll hear stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

shinshine wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I'm terrified of done deal though my brothers friend actually put something up on Facebook yesterday about a car he sold on donedeal a few years ago with at least 150,000 on the clock beginning sold again with only 90,000 on the clock!

Donedeal is just a very popular site with buyers and sellers. Just because it's advertised somewhere else doesn't mean it's 100% legitimate. There is a lot of junk for sale by chancers in your price range irrespective of which site they are advertised on. Cars in that price range can be mine fields especially if you have no idea of what your looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Have started my own thread about mileage but having read through this thread there seems to be lots of good advice on it. Hoping to look at this tomorrow: http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat-TDI-SPORT-ESTATE-SAT-NAV-LOW-TAX-FSH-NEW-NCT-09-19/9141353468549738457

I'm concerned that the mileage is very high, is there anything in particular to look out for? How much of a risk is buying a 6 year old car with such high mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is 130,000 miles over 6 years in a diesel car considered high ?

Is 130,000 miles over 6 years in a diesel car considered high ?

I don't really know, I guess I thought any car with over 100k miles would have potential for issues. That said, I know very little about cars and was hoping to get some advice here. That comment suggests that 130k miles isn't high mileage and that I should give that car some consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well the advice I get on boards.ie , many times is to only buy a diesel car if you expect to do in excess of 30,000 miles per annum .

This leads me to believe that 130,000 miles over 6 years is genuine mileage .

Well the advice I get on boards.ie , many times is to only buy a diesel car if you expect to do in excess of 30,000 miles per annum .

That seems fair enough. So when considering buying a car with this kind of mileage are there consumables you should expect to have to replace, I know the timing belt was just done. Is there anything else? I suppose I'd be worried about buying a money pit. I would buy the petrol version of this were it available but all Passat estates seem to be diesels.

• Advertisement

That's bad advice.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's bad advice.

What's the best way to approach this? We're looking at a Passat Estate but they all seem to have super high mileage which has me worried but they're all diesels and I've always driven a petrol. So very little experience of it and now thinking we should just stay away altogether and try get a different car with a petrol engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

levi wrote: »
    What's the best way to approach this? We're looking at a Passat Estate but they all seem to have super high mileage which has me worried but they're all diesels and I've always driven a petrol. So very little experience of it and now thinking we should just stay away altogether and try get a different car with a petrol engine.
    thats a big issue that i notice most cars past 2008-2011 are really high mileage on diesels and some petrols, if theres low mileage the price is 2-4k extra at minimum.

thing the hardest part is finding one that would been maintained according to mileage since when car hits close to 100k miles youd want it to have timing belt, battery-alternator, brake pads suspension to be changed.

since say you get one with close to 150miles,and your doing 10-20k a year in less then 5yrs youll lose about 8k since theres no people lining up to buy taxi mileage.As opposed getting petrol with 60k then at least youll be able to shift it when you decide to change.Since as engines go you could get one that will do extra 300k on top,then again you could end up in and out of garages spending money and time fixing aging issues.

since hardest part is knowing what might go wrong on specific models,and if it had few previous owners you have to question did they care for it or was it traded in just to save few euros and passed to another person.
    just my opinion.

scamalert wrote: »
    thats a big issue that i notice most cars past 2008-2011 are really high mileage on diesels and some petrols, if theres low mileage the price is 2-4k extra at minimum.

thing the hardest part is finding one that would been maintained according to mileage since when car hits close to 100k miles youd want it to have timing belt, battery-alternator, brake pads suspension to be changed.

since say you get one with close to 150miles,and your doing 10-20k a year in less then 5yrs youll lose about 8k since theres no people lining up to buy taxi mileage.As opposed getting petrol with 60k then at least youll be able to shift it when you decide to change.Since as engines go you could get one that will do extra 300k on top,then again you could end up in and out of garages spending money and time fixing aging issues.

since hardest part is knowing what might go wrong on specific models,and if it had few previous owners you have to question did they care for it or was it traded in just to save few euros and passed to another person.
    just my opinion.

That is what my gut tells me. We currently have a Skoda Octavia that is showing its age and doesn't have air con which isn't great with a small baby. Had been considering a 11/12 Passat estate but all seem to be high mileage and diesel - we don't commute in the car to work so diesel doesn't really make sense. I think, based on what you're saying, that we may be better off going for a low mileage petrol Skoda Rapid or Octavia depending on what we can get our hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

shinshine wrote: »
    Lads Im looking for advice here cos I know nothing about cars to be honest. My reliable 03 fiat punto has given up (years of running no problems the past 12 months everything it seems needs repairing) I've got a strict budget to stick to cos Im saving for a mortgage at the moment and cant take out a car loan, I literally need this car to last 12-18 months relatively problem free. I've seen a few Renault meganes that fit my price range: a 2006 with 220,000 miles for 1250 euros, a 04 with 91,000 miles for 750 and a 06 scenic with 117,000 miles for 1250. Obviously yer all not psychic and it depends on how the car was serviced etc but am i asking for trouble??? Ive seen so much bad reports on these cars
    What's gone on the punto?
    They're very straight-forward cars, and very cheap parts. The three things that would truly condemn one for me are
    1. significant crash-damage
    2. advanced corrosion
    3. head gasket failure
    although there are plenty who've repaired item #3.
    Otherwise, if you've now renewed a significant portion of the car, it might be expected to run fine for a while more.

Just a thought. (especially if you're down in the 1k-2k range)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kiraso

Thanks for these advises. I'm not sure if this was already asked or answered so sorry in advance for repeating.
    So if I found the car, I checked it and I'm on the last stage, buying it. What do I do or the buyer has to do to move the ownership to me and is it possible to drive away on that car the moment you buy it.
    P.s. Also if you can drive away how do you get insurance on the car same moment.
    Thanks.

kiraso wrote: »
    Thanks for these advises. I'm not sure if this was already asked or answered so sorry in advance for repeating.
    So if I found the car, I checked it and I'm on the last stage, buying it. What do I do or the buyer has to do to move the ownership to me and is it possible to drive away on that car the moment you buy it.
    P.s. Also if you can drive away how do you get insurance on the car same moment.
    Thanks.
    seller fills out log book with your details and you sign it and print your name and then he sends it out to shannon, you can take pic for your own proof, as insurance goes if you have insurance on another car you can call your company on the day or spot and ask them to transfer your insurance to another car for few hours, if you dont have policy you can get someone to drive it for you who has open drive policy.Also possible to get insurance in advance for the day via phone or online if you def know your getting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mishko

I have to go abroad for a long time, and am trying to sell my car before I go.

No one has answered my Donedeal ad so far (it's been on it for about 16 days and I lowered the price twice), and in a couple of weeks when I fly out I may have no alternative but to bring the car to the dealer I bought it off originally and leave it in their yard for sale there (I don't know anyone I can leave it with apart from the dealer). They have told me they will do this, but I'm not sure what happens to the logbook then.

Should I take the logbook with me and send it off to Shannon once I've heard that the car has been sold and got the buyer's details from the dealer, or is it OK to leave the logbook with the dealer, with my signature on it and let him send it off?

What kind of car is it and what price are you looking for?

I'd recommend getting it either off the road, or out of your name, before you leave. It's hassle enough dealing with selling a car when you're in the country, but from abroad you'll have more interesting things to occupy your mind I'm sure (I'm assuming this isn't a very valuable car that represents a major proportion of your net worth)

Thanks aC. It's a Kia Rio 1.4 LX 2009, 3700 euros.

By leaving it in the dealer's yard, I thought it would be off the road. As for out of my name, I'd prefer to do this by selling it now, but no one has shown interest. Any other way to get it out of my name? The dealer offered 2500, but I reckon that's much too little. As he also offered to put it in his yard for sale, I was wondering if I should entrust him with a signed logbook, or leave it unsigned.

I hope this clarifies.

• Advertisement

mishko wrote: »
    Thanks aC. It's a Kia Rio 1.4 LX 2009, 3700 euros.

By leaving it in the dealer's yard, I thought it would be off the road. As for out of my name, I'd prefer to do this by selling it now, but no one has shown interest. Any other way to get it out of my name? The dealer offered 2500, but I reckon that's much too little. As he also offered to put it in his yard for sale, I was wondering if I should entrust him with a signed logbook, or leave it unsigned.

I hope this clarifies.
    any family that can keep it for you, you can take if off the road yourself, but the troubles i see first no tax so thats bummer since person cant drive away with it, and if told owner is abroad with paperwork id skip on making purchase since just to many red flags.

Since at that price your looking at cash buyers and if they like they will want to take it off on the spot, while you situation sounds alright explained, but for anyone not knowing full details its extra hassle to get tax and one does still need to sign logbook transfer before handing cash.

What happens if the dealer rings you and says "I've got an offer of €3250 here but I'll have to service it and blah blah, I can give you €2750, will I sell it?"

Thanks Scamalert but I'm afraid I don't know anyone I can leave the car with.

colm_mcm, I would expect the dealer to try to knock the price down, but hopefully not this low as I would not accept and hold out for a higher offer.

Can anyone answer my question above:

"Should I take the logbook with me and send it off to Shannon once I've heard that the car has been sold and got the buyer's details from the dealer, or is it OK to leave the logbook with the dealer, with my signature on it and let him send it off?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks Scamalert but I'm afraid I don't know anyone I can leave the car with.

colm_mcm, I would expect the dealer to try to knock the price down, but hopefully not this low as I would not accept and hold out for a higher offer.

Can anyone answer my question above:

"Should I take the logbook with me and send it off to Shannon once I've heard that the car has been sold and got the buyer's details from the dealer, or is it OK to leave the logbook with the dealer, with my signature on it and let him send it off?"

You should give the logbook to the dealer and complete a separate form transferring the car to the dealer. RF105, you'll find the form online easily.

theres a part in log book where buyer put their name and have to sign it themselves,before its off to Shannon.

"

They're a hard enough sell and they don't go up in value either. I hope it works out for you. If a dealer has to make a profit and provide a warranty, that eats into what they can pay you.

The dealer can do a RF105 which is a transfer into dealer, that means you won't need to sign the logbook or send it off.

Thanks fellow-boarders - guess I'll have to hand over to the dealer using this form.

Thanks fellow-boarders - guess I'll have to hand over to the dealer using this form.
    Do think hard about the money and whether it's worth the hassle: you're valuing the car at 3700, dealer is saying 2500. If your price is "market correct", then that means you're maximum down 1200.

You need to know what basis the dealer will sell the car (like colm mcm's point) if he sells it for 3900, what share do you get? It's fair for him to take some of the price: he's storing it (premises, insurance, etc.,), his salesperson (or he) will deal with buyer, buyer will be back to him I presume if it blows up a week later, etc., Also he needs an incentive or why would he leave a buyer look at your car when they could look at one of his own stock.

I've no idea what price those cars are in market, but sort of splitting the difference: if you could get a quick 3000 privately, I think it could be a good outcome. Before you know it it'll be December, then January and your car is 1 year older by reg plate. I hate to "write off" money like that, as if I don't value €1200. I really do value money, and that's a sum that'd matter to me too. But there's something to be said for getting your cash out of the asset also, and for removing a distraction from your life (selling a car in Ireland when you're not even in the country).

There's a genuine risk of all this you end up getting less than 2500

Thanks very much acronym Chilli. Your post really makes sense to me. I still have a few days left to try and sell it privately, so I'll
    lower the price on Donedeal for the third time in the hope of a quick sale. Failing that, I'll have to go through the dealer and hope he can find a buyer eventually. Imho your advice is spot on, so thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Hi Folks,
    I have about 3k to spend on a car. Used to drive a 1.4 golf so looking for something similar. I know very little about cars so I just want something reliable and stress free to keep me going for a few years. Short commute to work daily.
    Came across this Astra this morning and it seem reasonable/decent value to me-https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-astra-club-1-4i-16v-5dr/15261411

Any feedback on above or any advice on a particular model I should go for? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement