Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rust, rust, rust and more rust. If it's a first generation Ka then they suffer from terrible rust. There is no way I would buy one that hasn't a fresh and long NCT as rust is a big killer that sends alot of them to the scrap yard. In fact I'd probably look at something altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

you might be able to get it checked by AA, costs around E270 ,

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

Thanks to all for advice. I am asking him outright about mileage and tax, see what the result is.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I'm looking at buying a second hand car and when I asked since when he owns the car he said "I'm selling it for my friend who is after emigrating he owned it for about a year".
    Wouldn't be illegal to sell something which he doesn't own ?
    Normally I would imagine he would need a certified written permission from the owner .., am I right ?

Thanks !

Could be genuine but could also be dodgy as feck which would make me not take a chance and walk away. You hear too many stories of people being scammed with this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

rosmoke wrote: »
    I'm looking at buying a second hand car and when I asked since when he owns the car he said "I'm selling it for my friend who is after emigrating he owned it for about a year".
    Wouldn't be illegal to sell something which he doesn't own ?
    Normally I would imagine he would need a certified written permission from the owner .., am I right ?

Thanks !
    ask for name and get it checked by AA or other car check.

AAwill run full check on finance , condition and some other issues, costs 270e and is good value for money.no matter who you buy from garage or private,

I know, but that would still be classified as illegal and won't protect me in case the owner goes to guards and say that he actually didn't sold the car, was stollen from him.

I know, but that would still be classified as illegal and won't protect me in case the owner goes to guards and say that he actually didn't sold the car, was stollen from him.

i dont get your point,without actually ringing AA to clarify the matter , i presume it can be established prior to sale if person has authority to sell or not, and money should not be paid for item without reg book, as i said it needs clarification by AA how a car check work

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

But if you pay him by bank transfer or something similar obviously there would be a paper trail to show you did buy the car.

If your paying in cash I'd always bring along someone else as witness.

its kinda tough to give a legally correct answer to that one,
    imo. best bet is ask seller for owners written approval if worried. or local garda"s opinion
    person buying stolen property forfeits property

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    But if you pay him by bank transfer or something similar obviously there would be a paper trail to show you did buy the car.

If your paying in cash I'd always bring along someone else as witness.

A bank transfer would only show that I transferred some money to a random guy who is not even the owner.
    Indeed it would help proving that I didn't steal it but in a court I would end up without car and probably without money if the middle man is not caught or doesn't have money to pay me back.

sandydan wrote: »
    its kinda tough to give a legally correct answer to that one,
    imo. best bet is ask seller for owners written approval if worried. or local garda"s opinion
    person buying stolen property forfeits property

Would a written approval need to be certified somewhere to have a legal ground?
    And if so, where?
    If not, than that doesn't make sense because anyone can write anything on a piece of paper and sign it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

This seems very tricky, put simply, how can you anything from someone who doesen't actually own it in the first place ?.

if not willing to go route already previously recommended, gardai etc.
    why not ring AA and ask whats covered in their car check, or any other organisation for that matter offering that full car check service, its not cheap at e270 or whatever,
    explain situation and let them explain how process works
    decide what you are doing if really interested in that car,if its still available that is, or move on to recognized dealers, cars only, for peace of mind, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Hi, can someone help with the basics of buying please? Say I spot a 1L Micra in swords in Bangernomics that I like, I go see it, give the guy the money then I have to leave it there for a few days while the insurance comes through on it? How does it work? I see you can be banned for driving without insurance, I never realised this. The same issue for NCT although Ill probably not buy anything without a valid NCT.

Do you just chance it and tell the Guard you just bought it or what?

Driving a car with no insurance will always result in a court appearance, hefty fine and driving ban, otherwise nobody would bother with insurance. You just prearrange your insurance cover to start at the time that you are collecting the car. Insurance companies can do this over the phone during normal working hours and some have the facility to do it online. Never chance driving without insurance.

Never pay the full amount for a car until you are actually collecting it, I would not be giving some stranger all the money for a car and then telling them hold on to it for a few days. Whats to stop them from selling it to someone else or running off with your money and car? Leave a small deposit with the seller to secure the car if you cannot arrange insurance at the time of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Reactor

Nah Im not talking about falling for a money scam, I wouldn't do that.

Im talking about sorting the insurance out before you buy a secondhand car, so you just have to cross your fingers and hope they give you a good deal? What if you arrange insurance to activate on the day you're collecting the car and it turns out the grand you were expecting to pay is actually 4 grand? Is it all luck of the draw?

What you need to do is take a few examples from donedeal of the cars your are interested in buying and then ring a few insurance companies for quotes. That will give you a ballpark of what you will be paying for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

It's a bit trickier if you've no insurance on any car. Moving the insurance from one car to another has been relatively smooth in my experience. I phoned the insurance company in advance, told them what I was planning to do (hope to buy model xyz, tomorrow, what would be change in cost of policy?). They quote and if I was happy enough I'd go and try to buy the car. After agreeing price with the seller, I phoned insurance company, told them what I was doing, the reg number, and that I wanted to transfer immediately from that point on. They record the calls and timestamp it so it's nearly as good as in writing so long as you tell them all the facts.

Car may of course cost more or less to insure than your old one, plus there may be an admin fee (Axa charged me this once, then didn't another time when all I was doing was buying 1 year younger version of the car I already had).

If you've no insurance at all, then it's a little trickier. Quotes usually have a validity for a few days/1-week at least. It'll simplify things if you limit your hunt to 1 or 2 make/models (e.g. Nissan Micra and Toyota Yaris) of similar vintage, spec, etc., so that you'll have an idea of insurance cost while assessing specific cars-deals and negotiating with seller. If you've a quote lined up, all your personal info with the insurer etc., then confirming the car is the easy bit so long as it's more or less the same machine you used for your initial quote (if you were feeling good you'd have given the insurer the reg as well, so all ready to go), so finalising it over the phone should be simple enough.

There's also a 14 day cooling off period on new insurance policies, so you'd have 2 weeks to ring around again and try and find a cheaper policy. The original policy will charge you pro-rata for the days you've used, plus may charge you an admin/cancelling fee. It's good to know the option is there, but to do things right and get the best deal you need to shop around earlier and have all ducks lined up before you're negotiating final purchase with seller.

Finally, as bazz26 has said, never ever drive without insurance. If you get stopped by the law it'll be one sort of problem, and probably a pretty serious one. But if there was an accident of any type, let alone one with injury, then it would be a whole world of trouble and pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

Im interested in buying a used car, just looking for opinions about models. Budget 4000 maximum, 1.4 litres maximun, Hatchback and not older than 2005. I have in mind Volkswagen Golf, Toyota corolla, Seat Ibiza, Opel (vauxhall) Astra and MAZDA 3. Your advice would be most appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

My googling has let me down, so hopefully someone here will know. Picking up my "new" car next week and just wondering what to bring. NCT cert, VRC, insurance details for transfer of insurance, all keys and the money. Nothing else is springing to mind, but it's a bit of drive between here and the dealer, and I don't want to waste the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Am thinking of buying a 2012 or 2013 Citroen Berlingo, either a car or van body, am not fussed as I mainly need it for hauling (lightweight) supplies for work.

Have seen a 2014 van type with very low mileage and a good price, but most likely a UK import (no reg plate in the photo). Is it possible to check the history of a UK car. I am a bit suspicious because the price is very low for the mileage, and I also seem to remember that the insurance companies ask whether a car you are insuring is an import.

Anyone out there driven a Berlingo? would you recommend it for mostly local but occasional long haul travel? and any common faults to look out for second hand?

Thanks for your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

If buying from a Main Dealer (2nd Hand) should you still get the AA inspection on the car ? Also what length of Warranty should you expect ?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

I have seen a car I like but it has what I consider high mileage for the age - nearly 70,000 miles for a March 2013 Dublin reg.- and it is apparently an ex-company car. It is being sold by a dealer, and when asked the type of business that previously owned the car, dealer couldn't say. They have taken it in from another dealership. The dealer has 3 of these cars from the same source, all have between 62,000 and 70,000 miles on the clock. What are the pro's and cons of buying an ex-company car? should I be wary of buying?. It is an automatic, and Dublin registration.

It could have been used as a sales rep car or it could have been an ex rental depending on who leased it.

Ex company sales rep advantage would be that it was probably serviced on time as this is normally included in the leasing costs to the company leasing it. So look for a service history with it. Of course depending on the driver the car could either be tatty or in good condition.

Ex rentals are a whole different ball game, they get dogs abuse due to the nature of the game they are in. They are driven by a large number of people who generally don't care about them that much. They tend to be more prone to damage or accidents too along with bits going missing. Probably don't see a service as much either. Wear and tear is alot higher on them especially the longer they are hired out. I'd avoid one with 70k miles on it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

This is great I used a lot of this buying a car this week.

Sound advice.

I havent received the registration cert yet - is there anywhere online you can check when a car is first registered?

Car is due for NCT Jan 2018 so I assumed it was first bought Jan 2008.

He states on his sales page tax is 280 but for it to be this amount would mean it was first registered after June 2008.

I hope the car has been put through the NCT early or I could be lookin at tax of 358 based on engine size.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You can stick the Reg in here and it will tell you what the Tax will be:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

adrian522 wrote: »
    You can stick the Reg in here and it will tell you what the Tax will be:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do?page=motortaxinforeg

280 it is. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

waffleman wrote: »
    This is great I used a lot of this buying a car this week.

Sound advice.

I havent received the registration cert yet - is there anywhere online you can check when a car is first registered?

Car is due for NCT Jan 2018 so I assumed it was first bought Jan 2008.

He states on his sales page tax is 280 but for it to be this amount would mean it was first registered after June 2008.

I hope the car has been put through the NCT early or I could be lookin at tax of 358 based on engine size.

For an 08 pre July car, You automatically get whichever rate would have been lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

TSQ wrote: »
    I have seen a car I like but it has what I consider high mileage for the age - nearly 70,000 miles for a March 2013 Dublin reg.- and it is apparently an ex-company car.

Hi - Is the car petrol or diesel?
    What make & model is it - is it a 1.5DCI?
    It would not be unreasonable for a Diesel car to do 20-25k miles pa

A neighbour of mine recently purchased an ex-rental diesel automatic 2012 with 130000km (81250 miles).
    The car is impressive, very clean interior (I was shocked). Few minor scratches/chips (shrubs or stones) on paintwork.
    Car drives well and she got a 12 month warranty with it & 2 year NCT.
    Have to say I was impressed with it, so much so that Im seriously considering that option (posted here and other treads).

Many people talk about rental cars being abused. I rent a car at least 3-4 weeks every year. Even with extra insurance, I'm always super careful with the car driving and parking (car rental is so completive they have to make money somewhere).

I can't really see middle aged American couples rallying cars from Shannon to Dublin to Cork - I presume that's the market the autos are geared at.
    If the car is well serviced, has NCT, comes with a warranty and is at the right price - it could be considered and compared to the other options and your requirements

Advertisement