Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Timing chains can and do stretch on those kompressor engines and eventually need replacing. Make sure all the electrics work.

Regarding warranty, don't expect much as it's a 12 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Irish White Buffalo

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Looking at a 2004 C180K 1.8 Auto on Saturday, 95k miles. Anything I need to look out for? It's from quite a large garage but I've no idea regarding warranty yet.

Nightmare vehicle , had a 2003 c180k back In 2004. Worst vehicle for eating money I ever bought . Wipers / tyres / electrics . Car broke my heart . Cost me €43k ( on finance ) . Couldn't recommend this car to anybody .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Timing chains can and do stretch on those kompressor engines and eventually need replacing. Make sure all the electrics work.

Regarding warranty, don't expect much as it's a 12 year old car.

Ah yeah, I'd be happy happy enough with 3 months tbh! I'll make sure to check all electrics, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Whats the price tag?
    Only asking as a female colleague of mine is looking at selling/trading-in her 2006.
    Its in mint condition, 4 new tyres nct and serviced. (she needs a higher car like a Rav4 etc as she has a back/hip issue).
    She has it about 7-8 years and never had any issues with it apart from normal wear.
    Gook Luck with your searching

About 2k

• Advertisement

2k that's very good - (for you).
    If its running smoothly and you get a year out of it it's only €40 a week. Anything after a year would be a bonus (free driving)

Probably places the value of my colleagues in the 3-4K bracket (she won't be too happy about that as she recently spent €600 on new tyres)
    Happy driving - Good Luck

Thanks :) hopefully it's in decent condition now. I was looking at 407s, etc but when I saw this I wanted it straight away. Looking at a few Saabs too

Ah yeah, I'd be happy happy enough with 3 months tbh! I'll make sure to check all electrics, cheers
    About 2k

The length of the warranty means nothing if it excludes lots of things. For example a garage could give you a 2 year warranty that covers the engine and gearbox but excludes the cost of labour on any parts or repairs, or the warranty is limited to 2 years or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.

At that end of the market from a dealer don't expect much in the way of warranty as there simply isn't any profit in that price range to cover it. Most likely it was just someone's trade-in that they wanted ride of and the dealer has just scrubbed it up and put up for resale.

Oh absolutely. I'm under no illusion that a 3 month warranty covers everything but if I can get a few bits covered I'll have at least some piece of mind. It's a minefield buying a used car unfortunately, I just have to hope that I buy a decent car and it doesn't pack it in after a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Oh absolutely. I'm under no illusion that a 3 month warranty covers everything but if I can get a few bits covered I'll have at least some piece of mind. It's a minefield buying a used car unfortunately, I just have to hope that I buy a decent car and it doesn't pack it in after a week :D

Be under no illusion - those short warranties are almost worthless.

If you come back with anything, the dealer will only want to get rid of you satisfy you to the highest standards... Not all of course, there are still good garages out there...

IMHO much better value is in buying privately and having the car inspected by a trusted mechanic.

Regardless where you're buying from, have the cars inspected. If for instance if there is undercarriage corrosion, it will not stop the car from being derivable or roadworthy for a while - thus you'd have no coming back, but will be very costly to fix in future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hi, considering a 05 CLK with 70M on the clock? Is it a bad idea?

Without more details who knows..

bazz26 wrote: »
    Without more details who knows..

Sorry. I'll put up a link . I'm moving from an 05 S40 with 100M

http://touch.adverts.ie/car/mercedes-benz/clk-class/mercedes-benz-clk-class-2005/10860245

The same comments above around timing chains applies. Mileage is also very low for the year so verified service history is paramount. Just remember it is being sold in an area where dealers have a poor reputation and change company names like the weather.

Looked at a Saab 9-3 2006 1.8 petrol earlier, think I'll buy it. 95k miles, NCT till 09/17, 2 new tyres 2 50%, absolutely spotless inside and out. Test drive was grand. Gearbox felt good, clutch was nice and light. Checked the engine, oil cap, etc but I'm no mechanic so I may as well have not bothered :D heading back tomorrow to have a look and likely buy it. Anything else I should check out?

3 months engine and gearbox warranty

Thanks Bazz, I wasn't aware dealers in the area had a bad reputation. Why would the low milage be a red flag?

Because 70k miles on a 11 year old car is low, not unheard of but not the norm. Without at least a partial documented service history how can you verify that it is genuine and hasn't been altered? That aside given that engine's reputation with poor timing chains I'd want to be seeing good evidence that it had regular oil servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i am thinking about a pugeot 407 sw estate 1.6 hdi, what do i need to look out for, thanks

Looked at a Saab 9-3 2006 1.8 petrol earlier, think I'll buy it. 95k miles, NCT till 09/17, 2 new tyres 2 50%, absolutely spotless inside and out. Test drive was grand. Gearbox felt good, clutch was nice and light. Checked the engine, oil cap, etc but I'm no mechanic so I may as well have not bothered :D heading back tomorrow to have a look and likely buy it. Anything else I should check out?

3 months engine and gearbox warranty

Bought this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

How does insurance work when taking cars for test drives? Is it the potential buyer's responsibility to look after insurance if they want to test drive the car?

Im selling my car but I don't have insurance on it anymore as I transferred it to the new car.

• Advertisement

shakedown wrote: »
    How does insurance work when taking cars for test drives? Is it the potential buyer's responsibility to look after insurance if they want to test drive the car?

Im selling my car but I don't have insurance on it anymore as I transferred it to the new car.

The law requires that the driver is insured to drive that car.

The buyer might have an 'driving other cars' extension - but this is usually only TPL policy. This might be tricky - because by design the damage to the car would not be covered. However you are a third party to the driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Any advice on what other avenues I have to sell my peugeot 407.

Been advertised for 2 and a half weeks on adverts.ie, donedeal and some local facebook selling pages. Only had one call about it.

I'm not niave - who wants a 10 year old diesel? So what other options are available to me?

kildareash wrote: »

Been advertised for 2 and a half weeks on adverts.ie, donedeal and some local facebook selling pages. Only had one call about it.

I'm not niave - who wants a 10 year old diesel? So what other options are available to me?

Typically reducing the price works miracles.

Hi.
    230+ 407s on DoneDeal at the moment (2005 - 2007).
    Ranging in Price from , <€1000 to > €5000
    Oldest is on 79 days and has 420+ views @€;1800

What sets yours apart?
    - PMO? (some of the cars need work, can't give them away, well hard to sell them anyway)
    - Low Mileage?, Fuel Economy
    - Good Photos, NCT Due date?
    and the big draw the Price tag
    (will it compete with this https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-nct-08-17-and-only-53-000-miles/11978706 ??)

So Get your price level correct (don't know what yours is, but it needs to stand-out a little for a good response)
    And put as much positive info in to the ad as possible.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

kildareash wrote: »

give a link to it, the folks on here will give you good advice on where you stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

I sold one last month (2007 ST Solaire 1.8 Petrol) for €1700, was asking €2500 initially with no bites so I reduced it to €1950.

Granted, it had full leather seats which probably helped with the sale.

As the above posters say, there's literally hundreds out there for sale so you need to stand out on spec but mostly price.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

I have a query i am interested in a car van but person selling it is not in the country and has sent me this alternative for purchase as i am not familiar with this i am asking here for advise.

Reply from Seller
    Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I will agree for a 7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the car ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the car for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
    Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the car back on my cost!
    You can read more about it following the link below:

http://pages.ebay.ie/help/buy/contextual/return-policy.html

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

DERICKOO wrote: »
    I have a query i am interested in a car van but person selling it is not in the country and has sent me this alternative for purchase as i am not familiar with this i am asking here for advise.

Reply from Seller
    Due to my location and since view or pick up is not an option I will agree for a 7 days of full inspection period ( after the date you receive the car ). This means that you have 7 days to inspect the car for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not!
    Because I will sign eBay's return policy, your money will be insured by them and you will have the option to reject the deal, only if we go through PayPal as well. If this is the case, you will receive a full refund (money back) from PayPal and I will have to take the car back on my cost!

Thanks for your help
    The person not being in the country is a classic scam. I'd personally run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

DERICKOO wrote: »

Reply from Seller

Thanks for your help

Don't buy cars through ebay/paypal. Scam ..

• Advertisement

Not this old scam again.

Advertisement