Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

this is hard to watch

two points up - two good scores from Mackey and Keating - need more of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Yes it was about NY, they haven't won a game in Connacht. I hope they continue to compete but they've been way off the pace of London lately.

Thanks. Historically, London have always been in front of New York, understandable as London is much nearer so there are probably far more Irish there.

Cavan would rue these wides against a better team.

the one's being dropped short are worse though...

:eek: oh my god - how did he miss that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Would have been a lot easier to score that.

Four up, surely Cavan won't blow it now.

Tiredness showing for London - need to see this one out

Six up. Hope Cavan were just tired today otherwise next week could be a massacre against any of the four provincial winners.

Goal! Cavan through!

• Advertisement

Great save and nice worked goal - harsh on London but happy to get over the line..

Cavan through to quarter finals. Hope the real Cavan is the one that played Armagh and Derry, not the one seen today. Maybe nerves at Croke Park, maybe tiredness, maybe underestimating London played factors.

Pleased for London that they put in a good display on the big stage. With the recession continuing so harshly in Ireland and the UK economy looking to be on the road out of the doldrums maybe they'll get stronger, but that's another story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

As much as I'm super happy we won... if we pay like that in the next match we'll be massacred

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Much better in the second half. Must have got an earful.
    Improvement needed for QF.

Wasn't pretty but relieved to get through that. Will require a massive improvement if we are to challenge in a quarter final but.

1. We don't do favourites well and it was reflected in the lack of intensity and sloppiness at times.

2. We are not used to Croker and the pressure that brings to bear. We have now got that 61 years monkey off our back and that will stand to this team and not just this year but over next few years. Cannot over emphasis how important that win was to get that out of the way.

3. Extra-time in Derry last weekend took a huge toll on the players and the legs and we usually go with the same 15 so that had an effect. I know London were more tired with shorter turn-around but Cavans game is built on high intensity and movement - we looked flat today.

Bottom line - we got through today, we are in the draw for the next round, we have won in Croke Park and we will be written off all next week no matter who we are drawn against..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

right, that was way more uncomfortable that I thought it would be. After 15 minutes we were cruising, took that long for london to come into the game. The Goal obviously brought them right back in it, it was worrying to see our intensity drop for the middle third of the game. Lads out the field were taking the ball in static positions, not making yards necessary in order to feed the lads inside. Add to this we gave away some really dumb possessions, players soloing the ball off their shin into an opponents arms, poorly executed hand passes. Also some of the shooting was horrendous

that said it could very well be the ideal result for us going into the quarters. It will not have impressed any neutrals watching the game so we can go in under the radar so to speak. Mo Fitz made the point of the pitch being too large to impose our game plan, perhaps he has a point, maybe the occasion got to them a little bit, again its great to have had this outing in headquarters so on our return nothing is new. Hopefully the up in quality of our next opponents will shake the lads out of the stupour they suffered from today. Anyways its a championship game won and thats all really that matters for now. Onwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

good to get out of that one i had a bad feeling about it

it was a game that will stand to us

positives we put more scores on the board and conceded less scores than mayo

2 39 in 2 weeks is good scoring no matter what the opposition

onwards and upwards bring on the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Will the next match be next week or will we get a break?

I've my fingers crossed for Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

bradyle wrote: »
    Will the next match be next week or will we get a break?

I've my fingers crossed for Monaghan!

U dont want Monaghan if yous want to win...;)

Cork are now the team everyone wants to draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

U dont want Monaghan if yous want to win...;)

Cork are now the team everyone wants to draw.

You do realise we can't draw Cork right? :rolleyes:
    We can only draw Dublin,Mayo,Monaghan or Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kerry would be the best bet.

Mayo or Monaghan, Dublin or Donegal would be too hard.

We've a 1 in 3 chance of Monaghan or Kerry, 1 in 4 (at the moment) of the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Mcvitty was excellent today - can see him being a real option next week for the number 5 jersey. I felt we struggled badly today at 5 and 12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Mayo or Monaghan, Dublin or Donegal would be too hard.

We've a 1 in 3 chance of Monaghan or Kerry, 1 in 4 (at the moment) of the other two.

Can't play Donegal.

Neeson wrote: »
    Kerry would be the best bet.

Ah here now....
    We were god awful for prolonged periods of that game today,We had two very good spells when we went 6-2 up to start off and we finished very well,but if we have a performance like that next weekend, we would get annihilated by any of the 4 possible opponents. A win is a win,and we are all delighted with our first win in Croke Park in the championship since 1952,but lets not lose the run of ourselves.

Neeson wrote: »
    Can't play Donegal.

Sorry don't know why I said Donegal, meant Kerry. Same colours anyway (more-or-less) eheh.

Hope we get Monaghan:)

Kerry - 97 all over again...

Kerry - Cavan
    Dublin - Cork
    Mayo - Donegal
    Monaghan - Tyrone

Disaster draw for Cavan.

At least there's Dublin - Cork which means one team I don't like will go out, and even though I don't like either I hope Cork win just to see Dublin out.

• Advertisement

So when will we know if we are playing on the Saturday or Sunday???
    I assume Dublin-Cork will be the Saturday 7pm game.

Advertisement